4th degree tear...will it happen again? - Mothering Forums
Healing Birth Trauma > 4th degree tear...will it happen again?
Dot-to-Dot's Avatar Dot-to-Dot 01:03 PM 11-28-2010

For my last labor and birth I delivered my dd in a squatting position (a little more quickly than we expected).  The doctor encouraged me to slow down a bit and lay on my side, but I was kind of out of my mind and focused only on ending labor - had to get her out immediately if it killed me.

I ended up with a 4th degree tear.  He stitched me up and it seemed to heal just fine without any complications.  I now realize how fortunate I am to have had healed so nicely relative to a handful of friends who suffered major complications from their tears. 

I am pregnant again and will have this baby approximately 20 months after the tear.  I am wondering if it's pretty common to tear again when you tore like I did.  Anybody know about this?

ctdoula's Avatar ctdoula 08:28 PM 11-28-2010

I also had a 4th degree with my first and was terrified for a repeat with #2. My son was 9lbs 7oz (a full 1.5lbs larger than my daughter) and I didn't even have one stitch the 2nd time around. So it CAN be done!!! Good luck.

Dot-to-Dot's Avatar Dot-to-Dot 09:57 AM 11-29-2010

Wow!  Good for you!  What position were you in for #2?  Was it a different position than for #1?

Up