Mothering Forum banner

Torn Labia misses by midwife

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  NewIma 
#1 ·
I had a VBAC 11 days ago. After my dd was born the midwife and nurse were freaking out about how much I was bleeding and ended up giving me pitocin and some other drug. The midwife said that I didn't tear so the blood must be coming from my uterus. I continued to bleed a lot for several days and also noticed while I was still in the hospital that part of my inner labia was hanging down a inch or so past my outer labia. The midwife and nurse said I was just really swollen. Since coming home have been in terrible pain, and felt like it was hurting more than it should. I went to see my family doctor yesterday and she says the both of my inner labia are torn completely in half. One side has reattached at a 45 degree angle inward and the other side is just hanging there in two pieces. One of the pieces not only tore down, but across which is why it is hanging down past my outer labia. My doctor says I should have been stiched.

I am so upset-I keep breaking down in tears. I don't know where to go from here. What should my next step be? Do I confront the midwives? Has anyone had experience with this? If so, did you end up needing a labiaplasty b/c of discomfort during sex? How hard was that to recover from?

I am just so angry and sad that they missed this and now I have to pay for it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh, OW! You poor mama! I had two labial tears, but no where near that bad. I'm so sorry you're in so much pain.

I would talk to a gynecologist or CNM of your choice (obviously NOT the ones who attended your birth and missed your labia TORN IN HALF) and see what your options are from here. You might have to go with labial reconstruction, but the plastic surgery for it is VERY good and hopefully they can relieve your pain, and still leave you feeling better.

I hope they can figure something out soon!

~Rose

#3 ·
Thank you Rose. I really appreciiate your response.

I am even more upset now. A nurse called me today and I told her that I was really upset because I had found out that I had severe tearing in my labia. The head of the midwives called me back (not one who was at the birth) and said basically told me that she didn't believe me and that since my doctor is not an ob-gyn she has no idea what she is talking about. Essentially she completely denied that my labia are torn and said I would be feeling better if I was taking 3-4 baths a day. I told her that she was really upsetting me and that I didn't want to talk to her any more and she asked (in a not believable way) if there was anything they could do. I said, "I don't know, but you not believing me is not helpful in anyway. I know I am torn. My labia is in two completely different pieces." and then I hung up and have been crying. How is it possible that she could make things even worse....It sucks enough that I am suffering, but then to be treated so disrespectfully...I am just so sad...

#4 ·
Personally, my first instinct here is to document every conversation (maybe even go so far as tape it) and I would contact a lawyer. I do not have that sort of reaction normally, but this seems so atrocious, especially the way they are treating you now. I am so sorry momma, no one should have to go through something so sucky especially when you are extra hormonal and exhausted from having a new little one. Please rest and take it easy as much s possible.

#5 ·
That is terrible! I would see an OBGYN stat and have them document the injury. Then have them state that it is clearly a birth injury, so that you can get repair covered by insurance. It is completely unacceptable for the MW to be writing you off. At the least they should want to see you to make another assessment.

#6 ·
Well I did end up talking to the patient rep at the hospital and making a complaint-we'll see if anything come of it. An appology would be appreciated, but I'm not holding my breath. Once I am feeling more emotionally stable I may try to talk to some of the mws on the phone to process and find out why they didn't tell me about the tears or try to address them. Thankfully the pain has gone away at this point and now we need to wait and see if I have to have the surgery or not. I know most people would certainly get the surgery, but I hate doctors/hospitals/ etc. and am willing to put up with a lot to avoid surgery. We'll see...

Spugly and Lunar-those are good ideas. I was examined by a midwife and ob at another practice on Wednesday and they confirmed my family doctor's diagnosis. I should check my records though and make sure they specified that it was a birth injury. And I should call the hospital rep and ask for a copy of my complaint. Yuck..but it does feel good to have a plan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.