Pregnancy after previous trauma - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-25-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My last pregnancy ended up being incredibly stressful during the third trimester. DD was born with a serious birth defect that we found by ultrasound at 28 weeks (it was our first u/s with the pregnancy, we were planning a homebirth until that point). Her birth itself wasn't terribly traumatic for me, but the last trimester of the pregnancy and everything that happened after she was born was horrible. I am sure that I have PTSD from the hospital experience with her, nearly losing her more than once, etc, I cry every time I look at pictures of her when she was sick, and I can't even go through her clothes from that time without having a panic attack.

Now I'm 21 weeks pregnant again, and I'm realizing that I'm incredibly afraid that there is going to be something wrong with this baby, too. I'm afraid this baby will have a birth defect too. I'm afraid that I won't get to have a homebirth again, because we'll find out something is wrong, or because I'll go into labor early. I'm having regular braxton-hicks contractions every day (like, a few minutes apart for an hour or more at a time), and it makes me really nervous. To make it worse, I had lab results come back that are scaring me even more, because they show that I'm low in a vitamin that actually causes birth defects.

Has anyone else gone through a scary/traumatic experience, and then had the trauma resurface in a subsequent pregnancy? How did you deal with it?

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#2 of 2 Old 03-08-2011, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have that specific experience but did have a very tramatic pregacy scary hosptials and it's comeimg up a lot now ttc number 2. I'm very scared the same thing will happen again but am reassuring myself now thatbi know the systems and doc and hospitals and how to advocate for myself so much more now and I, hopping that will improve the experience even if it ends up going wrong again . I hope you have a healthy pregacy drink lots of water rest when you can and maybe look into some herbs homopatics or vitamins to help with the contactikns

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page