1 year PP, still have hemorrhoids *Update, rectal prolapse too?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-22-2011, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The hemorrhoids first appeared about a month or so before I gave birth. After two hours of pushing, they were much worse. For several months after the birth, I used avenoc (sp) suppositories and witch hazel pads.  Eventually things just kind of plateaued and since it wasn't getting any better I stopped doing anything special.  I drink plenty of water and have a decent amount of fiber in my diet. 

Now they don't itch or cause me any pain whatsoever.  In fact, the only time I am even aware that they exist is during and immediately after BMs.  Here's my issue, they um, interfere with my ability to fully close my sphincter - if that makes sense.  My rectum is so swollen during BMs that it ends up being a gross mess that I need many wetwipes to fully clean.  Also, I just hate feeling like my rectum is swollen.  

I haven't looked at it and I haven't gone to the doctor to address it.  I assume that what I have is internal hemorrhoids with little skin tags that hang out like tiny deflated balloons. It does not cause me pain when I sit and aside from the discomfort during and after BMs they don't bother me at all, so I am unwilling to consider surgery or any other invasive treatment.

Has anyone had this issue?  What did you do? Did they ever go away?

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 05-15-2011, 04:23 AM

You might want to move this to Health and Healing.

Anyway, you should see the doctor.  Are you sure you have hemorrhoids and not rectal prolapse?

#3 of 14 Old 05-15-2011, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Hemorrhoids, while they may heal and not cause pain, never really go away short of surgery. greensad.gif
#4 of 14 Old 05-15-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post

Hemorrhoids, while they may heal and not cause pain, never really go away short of surgery. greensad.gif

yeahthat.gif My personal experience since giving birth (similar situation to you) is that mine has not gone away completely. It just comes and goes, i.e. gets worse when I'm not taking care of myself. I saw a doctor about it and he told me that short of surgery there is really nothing to be done. And in my situation he wouldn't recommend the surgery since its not really very bad. OP I know exactly what you're talking about. I pretty much do what you do with the wet wipes. I don't even want to tell you the nickname I have for it. Sheepish.gif

#5 of 14 Old 05-27-2011, 01:28 PM

Just wanted to say I can relate.  Mine never went away after #1 and now with #6 due any day, I have just gotten used to them.  Just like you, mine never cause pain, itching (unless I dont get clean all the way) or any discomfort but I can't get clean with regular tp.  I have my own container of baby wipes on the back of the toilet and have to use those every single BM.  My midwife suggests that after or in the warm bath, to push that tissue back in there.  I do but it always pops back out.  I guess it will never go away.

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#6 of 14 Old 07-11-2011, 11:30 AM

Oh, I think they are as common as apple pie.  I have a few.  I asked my mom, who is 80, if they ever go away ... and she laughed and said "No, in fact, I have one named after each of my five children."

Her cheery attitude about the whole thing made me feel much better.

And yes, hygiene is more nuanced with all the exterior folds.  I too use baby wipes but I wonder about a cheaper, more green alternative.  Sometimes I've just dipped t.p. into warm water and used that.  But you use a lot of t.p. that way.

Just be glad you don't have any pain or itching.

BTW, I mentioned it to a surgeon friend and she said unless a person has SEVERE pain she will not do the surgery because what she finds is that people often end up with pain when they didn't have it to begin with.  So no touchie with the scapel, dear.  :)

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#7 of 14 Old 10-08-2011, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

So I still have not been to a doctor since 6 weeks post partum.  I am fairly certain now that it is hemorrhoids AND a mild rectal prolapse.  Ewwww.  WTF.  I don't really know what to do about it, and I guess I am just hoping it will go away (I know it won't). 

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#8 of 14 Old 10-11-2011, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hey 1stTimeMama!  I had to comment.  My DH struggled with hemorrhoids for years; they were internal hemorrhoids that prolapsed and eventually thrombosed.  Please don't suffer in silence!  Go see your doc/health care provider. They won't go "EW"- this is their job and I guarantee they've seen worse than a few hemorrhoids!  There's a really simple, outpatient procedure called 'banding' that might help you.  It's not surgery and not very uncomfortable at all.  Just go, see what they think can be done!

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#9 of 14 Old 11-18-2011, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

During labor, I had a mirror set up so I could see what was going on down there.  When I started pushing, my poor anus looked like it had turned inside out.  2 of the hemorrhoids thrombosed and the pain was unbearable.  I went to see my Dr. 2 days after giving birth because they hurt so bad I couldn't move (couldn't sit, couldn't stand, it even hurt when I was lying down).  It's not major surgery.  They just give you a local anesthetic (an injection, yes, it hurts a lot but the pain is brief) and then they just slice them off and send you home with pain Rx.  I knew what I was getting myself into because I had this happen once before due to constipation and I wasn't going to wait around with a newborn (needy) baby hoping they'd get better.   Go to the Dr. and get them taken care of, Mama.  You will feel so much better by the next day!

#10 of 14 Old 12-21-2011, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

LorenaAZ...tell me more!  So was that the "banding" procedure?  I want that!!!  I am dealing with this issue, too.  SOMEthing is prolapsed.  It drives me INSANE.  No itching or pain but 24/7 it feels like something is half in, half out and it's literally hard to concentrate throughout the day because I always feel it and it's always on my mind.   I don't feel like it's my rectum.  Looks like the deflated balloon thing and doesn't get better or worse with BM's.  Totally hard to clean.  I still use my squirt bottle for cleaning and I'm 6 months postpartum.  And then toilet paper in addition to that.  Meanwhile, my toddler is beating down the bathroom door and the baby is crying.  It takes me forever!!!  This is ridiculous!

1stTimeMama, it's a couple months later...what's happened in the last few months?  Are you still suffering?  Did you go see the doc?  What'd they say? 

Would a person go to their regular family doctor for this? (my family doctor was the one who managed my pregnancy).  Or a gyno?  Or do you have to go to like a gastroenterologist?

#11 of 14 Old 01-08-2012, 05:47 AM

Yes there are solutions, but the banding or lancing and things like that are for painful, thrombosed hemorrhoids. If yours aren't causing pain, please don't try and have them removed. That will just cause you MORE pain! :hugs: I know more about hems than I care to admit. ;)

Marissa wife to Michael
mommy to Lorien 10/17/07 and Cyprian 6/5/10
#12 of 14 Old 08-05-2012, 07:23 PM

Hi! I have had hemorrhoids since I had my first son in 2010. I had tried everything short of surgery and nothing worked! 2 days ago I found a cleansing lotion at Walmart called Balneol. It was the only thing I hadnt tried. Creams and ointments like preparation h or any steroid cream should not be used for long periods of time because they thin your skin causing the hemorrhoids to stay and grow. Balneol is a lotion that cleans away fecal matter better than tp or wipes. Balneol eases discomfort by eliminating pain and itching. It also balances the Ph of the skin and heals it. Started using it 2 days ago and I am super impressed! My 2 year old hems disappeared and I have no itching or discomfort what so ever! Balneol is safe during pregnancy and so gentle that it can be used on newborns to help heal circumcisions and diaper rash. Literally a miracle lotion that I will never go without! Go get some, it will change your life!
#13 of 14 Old 11-14-2012, 06:54 PM

My gyno says that she looks at hemorrhoids all day long. Every one has them. If you don't want to have surgery, you could get a bidet to help with cleansing. I love love love our bidet toilet seat.

#14 of 14 Old 11-14-2012, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Please go and see a colorectal surgeon. it might be hemorrhoids, or prolapse or anal fissure.  Variety of conservative and surgical treatments are available. You do not need to to suffer like this and self diagnosis is not very productive.

Katie8681 likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page