How do you find a birth trauma therapist? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-04-2011, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

People keep mentioning them, but the only one I know of was not on my insurance. How would I go about finding more? If I find more, someone might be on my insurance.

#2 of 4 Old 07-04-2011, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post

People keep mentioning them, but the only one I know of was not on my insurance. How would I go about finding more? If I find more, someone might be on my insurance.

hug.gif

You may try asking the one you know if (who is not on your insurance) if she (or he) knows of any other therapists specializing in birth trauma. Midwives or OBs or doulas in your area might have lists of therapists specializing in birth trauma. If none of those options turn up any one, you may try contacting a long trauma hotline (e.g. a rape hotline); although they may not be immediately able to assist, they will likely know of therapists that work with trauma survivors and may know some who work specifically with birth trauma survivors.

Wishing you all the best with your healing.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 4 Old 11-30-2011, 12:56 PM

I just went through some birth trauma myself and some subsequent sick baby trauma. I know you are still working through a lot of pain and I went to the "Birthing from Within" website and since I know Pam England lives in my area I contacted her. Pam herself offers trauma sessions over the phone and I find my work with her amazing.

#4 of 4 Old 11-30-2011, 01:21 PM

I went to a dance therapist and found that very helpful. Here is a website that can help you locate a dance therapist in your area:

http://www.adta.org/Default.aspx?pageId=378067

The therapist I worked didn't specifically specialize in "birth trauma" but she did have a specialization in women's issues and trauma, so that worked for me. And, as it happened, she had worked through her own birth trauma. Dance therapy was helpful for me because it allowed me to approach my trauma not just through talking, but also by moving (sometimes to music, sometimes without), drawing, and writing.

I don't know about the insurance coverage for dance therapy. The dance therapy center I went to had a sliding scale for appointments, and I was able to make payments that worked for me.

Finding a good therapist can be such an important step in recovery. I wish you good luck!

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page