Healing trauma from your own birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-14-2012, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for information on residual effects of your own birth (when you were born) being traumatic, and impacts of addressing it. Ive seen the Birth Into Being website, but none of those workshops are ever anywhere near where I am located. Ive heard the story of how I was born, and it doesn't sound fun. Ive often wondered how that experience has impacted my life in ways I do not realize. If anyone has info on this sort of thing, or experience addressing your own birth, I'd love to hear about it.

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

#2 of 7 Old 01-14-2012, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think it is really self programming. The question is....what if you did not hear the story of your birth?

Perhaps your mom is exaggerating it for her own emotional purposes.

I think modern US society put too much emphasis On the birth day.  In the length of the modern human life it is noting but flash In pan. Moreover, the plasticity of human brain and the complexity of human behaviors tells us that many many factor , far beyond the few hours it takes a human to be born, influence who we are and what we feel.

It would be very tempting to find answer to one's issues to just one thing, "traumatic birth", follow with some new age "rebirth ritual" and live happily ever after.

The reality of more complex and difficult.

Find a therapist you like and explore your issues that are now.

#3 of 7 Old 01-14-2012, 10:46 PM

I totally disagree with the previous post. I think the way your birth played out has an emotional effect on your mother who then raises you with those deep rooted emotions. My first born was a very scarring emergency c section that resulted in bottle feeding. Not breastfeeding and having such extreme PTSD surrounding her birth has proven to unfold in my raising of her. I love her unconditionally but it's just different with her than with my other two vaginal birthed extended breast fed children.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#4 of 7 Old 01-14-2012, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hmmm

"Not breastfeeding and having such extreme PTSD surrounding her birth has proven to unfold in my raising of her. I love her unconditionally but it's just different with her than with my other two vaginal birthed extended breast fed children."

It is not the birth or no BF, but how YOU feel and TREAT your child that is shaping her life right now.

How birth goes is not under ones control because it is physiological process that can have complication, how we treat our children for the rest of our life is under out control

That seem like  cop out to blame birth circumstances on who you treat the child for the rest of her life. "Different" then it  not unconditional.

#5 of 7 Old 01-14-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

I totally disagree with the previous post. I think the way your birth played out has an emotional effect on your mother who then raises you with those deep rooted emotions. My first born was a very scarring emergency c section that resulted in bottle feeding. Not breastfeeding and having such extreme PTSD surrounding her birth has proven to unfold in my raising of her. I love her unconditionally but it's just different with her than with my other two vaginal birthed extended breast fed children.

While I tend to agree with Alenushka's first point in the first post in that in the scheme of things one's birth probably has little effect on one's current psychological well-being, I think your response makes a lot of sense.  And whether it's your own attitude (or your mother's as it were) that creates the circumstances or not- if that attitude stems from an event it seems like it would be worthwhile to look into it if only for deeper understanding.  

In general, I think it is a little new-agey and perhaps not something I'd do myself, but I think to come on here and post a response that ridicules someone's question when they're not hurting anyone and obviously seeking the advice of like-minded others is just plain rude.  If she wants to explore it and sees some merit in doing so, why the heck not?

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#6 of 7 Old 01-15-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

There seems to be a lot if info out there on the way our bodies physically store memories. I've been thinking about that a lot more since the birth of my son and having observed his responses to CST. My own birth was very physically traumatic in that my ear was ripped off due to the use of forcepts. I know there is some info out there on how our own birth impacts us later on, so if anyone believes its a bunch of hooey, that's fine, but that doesn't help me in my search for more info, ya know...

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

#7 of 7 Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Also wanted to add, if anyone is interested, there is a field known as pre and perinatal psychology. The website for the professional group is birthpsychology.com. I find it all very interesting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page