Hematoma recovery? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-08-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Did anyone else have a vulval hematoma as a result of vaginal delivery? If so, how long did it take for the tenderness to go away?

Mine was treated with surgery to drain the blood, remove the clots and stop the bleeding, and all incisions healed up nicely, but I'm still very tender and sore on the side where I had the hematoma. Four months postpartum and sex is still a grit-my-teeth endeavor. I miss intimacy with my husband!

Also, I've been taking iron supplements since the delivery b/c my hemoglobin levels dropped so low (not so low that a transfusion was mandatory, just offered and declined), and I still find myself bruising like a peach! Does EBF exacerbate the low iron levels? 

Related: thank you to all the doctors, nurses and midwives out there who pay attention and respect their patient's frame. My hematoma was discovered in time because a nurse was with me through delivery and beyond and observed that I handled contractions like a champ and was crumpling postpartum. Thank you!

Edit: As you can see I'm struggling to find anyone that has also experienced a (vulval) hematoma! I'll settle for a nurse/midwife/doc that's seen one! smile.gif info is scarce...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 06-25-2012, 06:47 PM

you know, thats a great question. i'm definitely going to be looking this up but i wondered in the meantime how things are healing.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#3 of 12 Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying! Still don't have any additional info. It's still very tender, but intermittently so? Seems like activity plays a role.

#4 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 12:48 PM

i am going to do a bit of research into this and if i find anything, i will let you know!

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#5 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandib50 View Post

i am going to do a bit of research into this and if i find anything, i will let you know!

Thanks!! Also, I'm still bruising like a peach so I'm going to add in chlorophyll on a nutritionist's recommendation.
#6 of 12 Old 08-01-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it's been 7 months and I finally decided to stop being afraid that I just need to "suck it up" - I've hot a dr appointment Monday! Will update for any possible future Hematoma sufferers smile.gif
#7 of 12 Old 08-02-2012, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathlin View Post

Well, it's been 7 months and I finally decided to stop being afraid that I just need to "suck it up" - I've hot a dr appointment Monday! Will update for any possible future Hematoma sufferers smile.gif

Cathlin, I read your thread a few months back (and apologies that I didn't post then). I hope your appointment on Monday goes well; I'll be thinking of you! I hope you feel completely healed soon.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#8 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:

Cathlin, how did your appointment go? Thinking of you!

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#9 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much smile.gif I was just about to update!!

So...fortunately, my hematoma is healed, and with the info I have now I think that process only took 6-8 weeks. This is recovery from a PP hematoma treated with surgery, drained and clots removed. <-- for future mamas

My pain issues are apparently caused by inflamed glands around the opening of my vagina! Supposedly it's unrelated to pregnancy, they don't even know what causes it. I'll have to search the boards for this next. :P Treatment is hydrocortisone cream, a yeast pill and lidocaine - then I go back in three months. There's no way of predicting how long before the inflammation goes down, but dr did say the longer a woman waits, the longer it takes. Glad I went in smile.gif I've never had a yeast infection so the pill part of the equation throws me, but...man, I'll do anything to have sex again!!!!
#10 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:

So...fortunately, my hematoma is healed, and with the info I have now I think that process only took 6-8 weeks.

That's wonderful news!!! joy.gifI'm so happy for you.

Quote:

My pain issues are apparently caused by inflamed glands around the opening of my vagina! Supposedly it's unrelated to pregnancy, they don't even know what causes it. I'll have to search the boards for this next. :P Treatment is hydrocortisone cream, a yeast pill and lidocaine - then I go back in three months. There's no way of predicting how long before the inflammation goes down, but dr did say the longer a woman waits, the longer it takes. Glad I went in smile.gif I've never had a yeast infection so the pill part of the equation throws me, but...man, I'll do anything to have sex again!!!!

I hope the inflammation goes down quickly and that the treatment goes smoothly...and that you're back having the sex you want soon. smile.gif

#11 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, husband hopes so, too! orngbiggrin.gif

I'm really encouraged to be on the right track...and to not be going crazy!
#12 of 12 Old 08-14-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:

Thanks, husband hopes so, too! orngbiggrin.gif

I'm really encouraged to be on the right track...and to not be going crazy!

joy.gif

User Tag List