Baby was not breathing after crazy fast labor, cord around neck...fine now, but processing this is hard... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-24-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just had my 4th baby a few days ago and he was not breathing when he was born...he was fine very quickly and is fine now, but it was a crazy scene and quite terrifying getting him out and safe and I am having a really hard time processing the birth because of how fast it all happened and how unlike my expectations it was  :  ( .  My first son was an emergency c-section for a prolapse cord, and that was very traumatic, but he was fine as well, but the births of my daughters, all natural VBACS with my midwife, have been incredibly healing and empowering since then. Now, my last birth, utter chaos.  :  (

This birth...my labors are very fast...My water broke, contractions were immediately 2 minutes apart, we left for the hospital 10 minutes away, and the baby was born 40 minutes later.  -2 to +2 and 5-10cm in about 25 minutes.  Then the decelerations due to the speedy delivery with a cord around the neck, and the fact that I am a VBAC sent everyone into a tailspin.  "Code Pink," etc., you name it .  My fierce and awesome contractions stalled once the team of 15 people rushed in and my midwife basically had to pull the baby out.  He was limp and blue and white and while I didn't see it, DH's expression of utter devastation was all I needed to see.  I was sure my son was not alive and started to freak out.  Couldn't hear any crying...they got him going after about the longest 30 seconds of my life, he started making little noises, and then he cried.  By 5 minutes his apgar was 9, so he was fine.  My husband did skin to skin while my midwife stitched me up from the crazy delivery, and then I FINALLY got to be skin to skin with an nurse my baby boy. 

I was so looking forward to a final, peaceful birth, feeling so in control of my body, having so much faith in birth, etc.  And now I am left barely remembering what happened, it is such a blur, and feeling overwhelmingly sad that my body could not deliver my little guy the way I had really hoped...while it was far from a c-section and I am ultimately incredibly thankful for that, he was still pulled from me rather than pushed out and that piece leaves me with a lack of closure that I am finding to be hard.  

Bottom line, he is here and beautiful and FINE.  all that matters.   But to a birth obsessed, pregnancy and labor loving mama, this final birth :  (  is a hard one to process. 

Anyone have a similar experience?  How did you process?

#2 of 8 Old 06-24-2012, 03:15 PM

I am not a BTDT mama, and I hope I won't be, either (currently pg with my 4th!)

But I am a BFW childbirth teacher and have some experience helping mamas process birth trauma. 

I think what I would say to you is that it's okay to process what happened a little bit at a time.  And that how you feel about it will change over time.  I'm sure you know that, having previous experience with birth trauma.  But it doesn't hurt to be reminded.

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#3 of 8 Old 06-24-2012, 03:51 PM

I have BTDT and it was my fourth labour as well.  It did take me a while to process it and much of it still does remain a blur.  I am so sorry that your little guy did not have as gentle of an entry as you would have wanted. Your midwife did what she believed to be necessary to help him out.  It sounds like you did great! You body did what it had to do to get him out just in time. If you had not laboured so quickly the outcome could have ended much worse.

For me personally, over sometime I have accepted that labour as "the traumatic one" that I never want to experience again. I was able to do this by grieving and getting over the experience that I thought I would have and shifting all my focus to the baby that was the blessing that I had as a result of said trauma.

HTH

#4 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 04:00 AM

(((((())))))

It's very, very scary when a baby doesn't respond right away. My second twin was like that, they yanked her out with a vacuum, ran her to the NICU, and thank goodness also after 5 minutes she was fine. But dh followed and was quite traumatized by it.

Thankfully today she is a happy, healthy, 8.5 year old.

Just wanted to send you some words of encouragement so you know you are not alone in the feeling.

(((((()))))

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#5 of 8 Old 07-14-2012, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

That sounds so scary, I'm sorry that you went through that.  I understand how much you wanted a peaceful gentle birth for this being your last birth, and how hard it's been because it wasn't.  My heart goes out to you.

How are you doing since you last posted? 

Me & DH ; DS (Aug 2010) ; DD1 (May 2012) ; DD2 (Nov 2013)
#6 of 8 Old 07-15-2012, 08:17 AM

HI,

I had a baby with a true knot in 2010.  She was fine immediately, but reading your story i felt some of that retrospective "what could have happened" emotion.

I'm sorry it was so traumatic for you, i found it took a number of weeks for me to find perspective on what had happened and what could have.  But now she's 2, i'm expecting another, and i've read everything there is to read on cord "problems" (some of which are serious problems and some of which are just feared but not really fearsome if that makes sense).

I think my daughter's personality and birth are linked, and the older she is and the more i know her the more i feel that the cord knot was so "of her" and i don't feel so bad about it anymore.  As he grows i bet you'll see more of your son who gave you that bad scare, and it will turn out to be a memory which, in the context of his being, feels more familiar, natural (to who he is) and less frightening and traumatic.  I hope so.

#7 of 8 Old 07-21-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies.  Definitely doing better now with more time having passed since the birth.  Still think about it a lot and still mourning the final birth that I hoped for and so believed I could have.  But the most important thing is that DS is here and safe and healthy, which is the most important thing in the end.  I will forever wish that this birth had been peaceful and smooth and dreamy, as it was so close to being, but with the cord and the speed of the labor it just couldn't happen that way.  I have just accepted that things happen how they happen for a reason...and count my blessings that he was not inside of me for another week with the cord around his neck, etc., etc.  There could have been many other worse scenarios, so all in all I have to embrace this as a pretty good outcome! 

#8 of 8 Old 07-21-2012, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

livelovelaugh, I'm glad to hear that you are finding some peace and acceptance around what happened with the birth.  It sounds like you have a really healthy perspective about it, but still, it's not to say that it is at all easy to do that... There is grieving process around these experiences, I believe.  I've had a difficult time myself, and I feel that I can say similar things to what you have said about being grateful for having our LO safe and sound with us and finding a way to move on with time, and yet there are days still where it's on the mind a lot and some things come up and the heart feels especially tender.  Big hugs to you!

Me & DH ; DS (Aug 2010) ; DD1 (May 2012) ; DD2 (Nov 2013)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page