Has anyone had Pelvic Girdle Pain or other pelvic pain postpartum? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-20-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have Pelvic Girdle Pain? I am 17 moths pp and I finally got around to researching the pain issue I've had since DD's birth, I think PGP fits the description of what I have going on. If you have/had it, what were your symptoms and how long did they last for? From what I could find it usually only lasts up to a few months postpartum, but can last for years. From what I could find there is not really anything to do for it. I'm debating if I want to take the time & $ to go to a Dr about  it. If there isn't really anything to help other than time, I might as well just deal with it on my own(I hate going to the Dr lol). My midwife wasn't that helpful, but it was over a year ago that I asked her about it. 

#2 of 5 Old 08-22-2012, 10:52 AM

My debilitating pelvic pain started at 20 weeks and still continues today, 14 months postpartum. I went from having a tiny ache in my symphysis starting at 18 weeks to suddenly being unable to lift my feet high enough to slip on my shoes. It also affected my hips and made walking incredibly difficult. This all came as a shock since I had been incredibly strong and flexible when I became pregnant.

No one would prescribe effective pain relief while I was pregnant, but I did have a few weeks of physical therapy until I realized there was no hope for me until I finally had my baby. I have pretty good coverage, so I was able to get another referral to physical therapy from my provider after the midwife I saw for my 6-week checkup ignored my questions and pretty much suggested that my pain was caused by me being fat and lazy. Who knew that that horrible grinding noise in my symphysis was just laziness!? PT helped me learn to move properly again, but the only thing that really helped was getting a script for narcotics that I can use when the pain flares up. I was lucky enough to find a doctor about two months ago who finally believed me, and offered relief for my bad days. Since then, I’ve been much more mobile and less afraid of the pain that comes from increasing my activity level. I'm just now beginning to move with confidence and my muscles are slowly returning. I’m not saying that your body will respond the same way, but finding a sympathetic doctor is important if you’re needing to restore your quality of life.

Another thing that helped giving up the carrier. As soon as I stopped wearing my kiddo (who is ridiculously long, especially when compared to my short self), my pelvis started staying aligned for longer periods of time.

#3 of 5 Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. Like you I have always been really active and I hate being so restricted now. You have reminded me to count my blessings, though, because it sounds like your pain is much worse than mine. I guess I will make a Dr. appointment, it is really dumb that I've been putting it off. I am going to try to give up my ergo use for a while, too. I hate to do it but it does seem to make it a lot worse.  

#4 of 5 Old 08-29-2012, 12:38 PM

#5 of 5 Old 09-06-2012, 11:19 AM

Yes, that Ergo can be a killer for some of us regardless of the lovely reviews and the convenience of babywearing. Pregnancy, birth, and "recovery" have taught me that though it is difficult to give up the things you love or envisioned yourself doing, we need to be honest about our own physical limitations. I wanted to stay active, have an unmedicated birth, wear my baby, and nurse well over a year. None of that happened, and I do think that trying to achieve those goals did me and my family more harm than good. None of those things are appropriate for every single person. Take care of those hips.

Good luck with the appointment. I hope you are able to get some relief.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page