Any success stories of avoiding tearing after a 3rd degree? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-12-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm pregnant for the third time and worried about tearing again. I'm looking for some hope.

I have had two hospital births that resulted in 3rd degree tears. 

My first birth was with teeny twins. I was made to push flat on my back on an operating table, and that position took away the pushing urge entirely. It was very difficult to push my first baby out, and then the second baby came flying out in a single push, and the delivery was not controlled.

I healed well and had no ill effects from that tear, but I was so scared it would happen again. With my second birth, the OB and doula were both very relaxed about the prospect of tearing, assuring me that it was unlikely and dismissing my fears. I delivered squatting, and my fairly large baby was born unsupported, kind of plopping on to the delivery bed. Another 3rd degree.

Now, three years after the last birth, I am planning a home birth. The midwife is very encouraging that I can avoid a bad tear with a side-lying position and supported delivery, as well as measures to prepare my perineum. I've been examined by a PT who specializes in the pelvic floor, and by a proctologist, and both were encouraging about another vaginal birth. Apparently there is no damage to any of my tissues and no physical reason to expect another 3rd degree.

But I just feel so jaded and negative. I want to believe it is possible to prevent another tear, and also to prepare emotionally for the worst-case scenario. If anyone has hopeful stories or suggestions, I would love to hear them.

#2 of 4 Old 09-14-2012, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Sending support to you Loonanj! hug.gif Mamas with experience with 3rd degree tears, can you offer some hope to this mama?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 4 Old 09-17-2012, 11:24 PM

My first birth was at a birth center, and I had a 3rd degree tear. It was 8 hours of labor but 2 hours of pushing! I was in a squatting position during pushing. I was told I only had a few minutes to get my baby out or I would be transferred to the hospital, so I pushed with everything I had and got the 3rd degree tear. 

I have gone on to have two more births with no tearing. They were very fast births as well, so controlled pushing may or may not prevent tearing - my last two babies flew out of me after 15 minutes or less of pushing. I was in a hands and knees position with these last two births, and I recently read that laying on your left side or being in a hands and knees position, are both very good positions to be in as far as not tearing. I couldn't stand laying down once I hit transition, the contractions were too painful. Hands and knees turned out to be the most comfortable and apparently it works well for both me and my babies :). 

Good luck mama, I think you can meet your goal of no tearing - its sounds like you are doing your research and setting up to have much better birth experience all around. 

#4 of 4 Old 09-19-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Worldshakerz, that's really good to hear. I appreciate you taking the time to post your experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page