My POP story, I would like to share - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-08-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Everyone,

I have been a member of mothering for a long time, but rarely have posted. I have gone through a very difficult few months and suddenly remembered that here, on mothering.com, I would probably find others who will understand my feelings right now. I stumbled across this forum, saw the other thread about pelvic organ prolapse support, and knew I was in the right place. If it is ok, I would like to share my story because right now I hurt greensad.gif

My six year old son was born in a teaching hospital, induced at 41 weeks, IV, pitocin, forced counted pushing. 45 short minutes into pushing the female ob inserted her fingers into my vagina, two on each side, and ripped me open in lieu of a standard episiotomy. Nine pounds, one ounce. All of this was to birth my son before the shifts changed. We didn't quite make it. He was born at 7 pm. I wasn't guessing at that, btw. I heard her say it. I was in such horrible shock I lay there stunned with my legs open for a long time. The baby went on his trip around the room and it was a good 20 minutes before I held him. Bonding took months. Breastfeeding was horrible but I was stubborn and we did it for eight months, ppd was longer lasting.
Fast forward three years, and blessedly pregnant again, I insisted on a midwife, doula, no IV, no interventions, and it worked just beautifully. I didn't even push, the contractions squeezed him out just fine. Bonding was instantaneous, bf a breeze. Ppd still struck but I was prepared.

Ok, so I thought, that was history. My kids are now 6 and 3. In February this year, all of a sudden, my uterus fell out. It went from in place to out in my vagina in about 3 hours. My cervix was showing in the vagina, my uterus was wedged neatly where a tampon should go. I had not realized it, but I had been ignoring the small signs of impending prolapse for some time. They are very subtle!

The gynecologist said at this stage, fourth degree prolapse, you can do a pessary, or hysterectomy. I had no desire to try the pessary, so we scheduled surgery. I must say, I have acclimated over the years to the term "hysterectomy" but it is major surgery. I also had a cystocle and needed a sling to fix my incontinence. I went and did it because I could barely walk, let alone function as is! My doula had suggested physical therapy, and I know it is a good choice, but the costs were way out of my reach. But it is life changing surgery, six to eight weeks off, no lifting, no sex, I can't care for my kids etc.

Anyway, for some reason, I hadn't stopped to ask the big question at first- why? Now, it is pretty clear. That doctor who ripped me, forced me to push, pumped me full of fluids, she did this to me, didn't she? I am starting to look for other women who are in my situation, relatively young (41) and had such a thing happen for maybe the same reasons.

Sorry this is so long. I just feel traumatized all over again,

Attached mama to Max(5) and Simon (2)

#2 of 6 Old 05-09-2013, 12:11 PM

Hugs to you mama. I'm so sorry to hear of your traumatic birth :( I don't have any personal experience with your situation, but I'm guessing there are mamas here who might. 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#3 of 6 Old 05-09-2013, 04:30 PM

That is beyond horrific, fraufranke greensad.gif. It is so barbaric and akin to rape. If you can prove that the prolapse is due to what she did then you can sue her. I've read that the number one cause for uterine prolapse is trauma during childbirth. If nothing else, report what she did to the medical board so other women can be warned. I'm so sorry you're having to go through all this hug.gif.
#4 of 6 Old 05-13-2013, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I have worked in women's health, and seen many women with POP, some with histories of birth trauma, some with many children, some with a family history, some with no risk factors... It is impossible to know if what she did directly caused this condition, but it was awful in its own right.  It makes sense that going through this current health challenge brings this up in your mind again, it's one of those things you can never just "get over."  Your body and spirit are I'm sure thrilled that you were able to surround yourself with a supportive team for your 2nd birth.

#5 of 6 Old 06-02-2013, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What a wretched doctor. I am sorry about the lasting trauma. hug2.gif

#6 of 6 Old 06-20-2013, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

hugs! i'm sorry to hear that you are going through this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page