Fistula after first baby, C-section on second? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 02-28-2014, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mama's.

I had my first boy nearly a year ago now very quick labour and as a result I got a 3rd degree tear, after the birth I was rushed to theatre and after was on all sorts of medication which consequently made me very constipated (can you imagine anything worse after just giving birth lol!) So I had to be admitted to hospital again so I could empty my bowels....long story short a few months later I noticed I was passing gas through my vagina and have been diagnosed with an RVF (Rectal vagina Fistula) which according to most sources online doesnt actually exist outside of poorer countries with inadequate healthcare....hmmm yeah right.

It's only small and doesnt cause much problems other than the gas issue being embarrassing but I would really like to have another little bundle of joy in a year or so but am terrified at the idea of making the fistula worse if I have a vaginal delivery and Im also terrified at the idea of C-Section and possible complications with that!!

Anyone with any advice would be very appreciated, thank you mamas!

Sponsored Links
#2 of 5 Old 03-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Mentioned: 538 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Oh gosh, sorry to hear mama. I have no advice just stopping by to give you a hug( hug)!
#3 of 5 Old 03-11-2014, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Anybody? :(

#4 of 5 Old 03-11-2014, 05:09 AM
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)

Mama, have you considered cross-posting in the C-section or VBAC forum?   

Troll? Here's me...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 of 5 Old 10-30-2015, 06:21 PM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Hey, I know this thread is super-old, but just in case you're still here, I wanted to give you some *hugs*. It's a tough place. I also had a recto-vaginal fistula, which I developed in late 2011. I had a homebirth and my daughter got stuck at crowning with double shoulder dystocia. In the process of getting her rapidly out and oxygenated, I tore very badly. My fistula leaked poo, so I had it repaired in early 2012. After all that fuss, I didn't actually have it for very long! The repair was successful, but I sustained nerve damage to my anal sphincter and am somewhat incontinent. My surgeon and later every ob I saw strongly recommended a c-section. I was really sad and disappointed about that, because in spite of the difficulty I never regretted my homebirth and I was so scared of a c-section. I also hated hearing all these doctors tell me what I “had to” do. Of course I don't have to do anything! Eventually I met a wonderful nurse-practitioner who refrained from giving me a lecture about the dangers of homebirth, told me that of course I had a choice in birth, and then outlined the reasons she saw that c-section was a good choice for me. Specifically to protect my repair and prevent further damage and incontinence in my bum.
Four years later, I've done some pelvic exercises and take psyllium husk daily. These measures have pretty much completely taken care of the incontinence and most days I forget it's an issue. I became pregnant and had a c-section in October 2013. Everything went really well. I was in labor when I went into the OR, so I knew my baby was ready to come out. We nursed in the recovery room and our breastfeeding continues to go well. I healed without incident and nowadays feel healthy and strong. It's a great feeling!
I was part of a fb support group called Living with Obstetric Fistula. You might want to check them out if you haven't already. I know of at least one woman in the group with a small fistula like yours, gas only, who had several more children with natural births. When she was done with childbearing, she had the fistula repaired. I know of other women who never get their small fistulas repaired and choose to live with the gas leaks.
Anyway, all this to say that you're in a tough place, and I understand some of your difficulties. You will be able to make an informed, thoughtful decision about your next birth. Also, a c-section wasn't as unpleasant as I expected.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page