still healing from birth trauma--8 years later - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-05-2006, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all. I'm not sure where this thread should go, but thought I would start here. My DD was born 7 weeks prematurely and then suffered a horrible mishap at the hands of the hospital staff. Although we have to deal with some stuff as a result of that, we still consider ourselves very lucky/blessed to have only the minimal problems that we have.

One of those issues is a tendency for her to be very distracted and disconnected from her body. I think she learned this very early on from the pain she had to endure so young, which breaks my heart. She is starting to have a weight problem because she avoids activity and, I believe, disconnects from the sensations of her body to the point where she eats to feel "alive", doesn't know if or when she is satisfied or even hungry. If I am "reading" her correctly, I get the feeling that she is uncomfortable in her own body.

Besides seeking to help with coordination, I am looking for suggestions as to activities/interests that help someone to be grounded, in their body that can be done on a regular basis...books to read...yoga DVD...ways of "being". I have no idea where to go for such info. so I started here.

Thanks in advance.

MJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2006, 07:26 AM

I bet "out of sync child has fun" would have stuff that would help. I know it is a companion to "out of sync child", but didn't get that one. The "has fun" book is filled with various activities that cater to specific sensory needs. Really neat book with lots of ideas.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:07 PM

What about brushing therapy and other sensory related things?

I'm just now starting to learn a lot of this stuff but thought it may help.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Jennifer Z--thanks for the info! I looked up the book, which led to a very helpful trail of even more information. Thank you.

Megs Momma--Can you tell me what brush therapy is? I'm not familiar with that. Well, I suppose I could do a search on that one too. Thanks!
Old 08-09-2006, 03:21 PM

Is your child in therapy or are you just starting that whole process of information?
A good therapist could really help, if you're into that.

DD got a lot of anxiety and sensory integration issues from being in the hospital so much (especially as a newborn).

I would agree with "The Out of Sync Child has Fun" and dooing some swinging and some balancing stuff, either on a therapy ball, or on one of those round boards that have the half of a ball under it...ha ha, whatever those are called.
Of course I don't know how old your dc is.

Oh, massage is so good and the kids like it too. Oil 'em up and massage 'em. If they don't like it than you have a bigger issue with sensory stuff, so either way it could give you some info. anyway.

Good Luck!

Me : , husband ,daughter Raven : 10-28-95 :

User Tag List