Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Support Thread - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 1505 Old 03-13-2008, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On the topic of POP studies (and my personal belief that c/s can contribute to prolapse instead of preventing it), I thought this was an interesting finding:

Quote:
The aim of this study was to assess the impact of delivery on the pelvic floor and whether cesarean section (C/S) can prevent pelvic floor injury. Five hundred thirty nine women were divided into three groups according to the delivery method adopted: elective C/S, emergent C/S, and vaginal delivery.
Quote:
Emergent C/S may be a major risk factor for postpartum urinary incontinence and interfere with the benefit of elective C/S for preventing pelvic floor injury. Hence, not all C/S deliveries can reduce the likelihood of postpartum urinary incontinence.
from Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2006 Nov;17(6):631-5. Epub 2006 Mar 28.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#422 of 1505 Old 03-13-2008, 11:07 PM

And from another study:

Quote:
Because severe anal incontinence followed elective and prelabor emergency cesarean, it seems that pregnancy itself can lead to pelvic floor disorders. A high incidence of anal incontinence is associated with a second-degree tear. Measures to detect and reduce postpartum anal incontinence should target all pregnant women and mothers, even after prelabor cesarean delivery.
Obstet Gynecol. 2003 Feb;101(2):305-12.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#423 of 1505 Old 03-14-2008, 03:00 PM

I'm feeling really depressed about all of this. I think that I'm experiencing a prolapse of ALL of my pelvic organs. I felt my cervix a couple of inches inside my vagina, behind the cystocele, and what I believe to be rectocele. I made an appt. with an OB that specializes in POP, but it isn't for a few weeks. How will I be able to have sex with my uterus so low? I had no intention of pursuing surgery or a pessary, but now I'm wondering if I'll have an option if I ever want to dtd again. I just feel really overwhelmed by this. It seems like the outlook is worse the more I find out. I finally broke down and cried today- I was feeling positive at first, but that feeling is totally gone now. I need some hope, but I feel like there's not much to be had. :
#424 of 1505 Old 03-14-2008, 03:19 PM

Hugs applecore. I'm sorry it's pressing so heavily on you today.

In terms of sexual relations, most of the partners I know have said that they really don't feel much difference. The prolapsed organs "move out of the way" when pressure is applied and it just isn't that significant a change in sensation for the partner.

Now it may be a different story for you... I know that for me the sensation is very different from before the prolapse, I'm uncomfortable in positions that used to be fine, and I need to use a lubricant when I didn't have to before (I like "Please" from Good Vibrations, though that may be TMI). I used Replense for a while (about a month? it's not a lube, but an over the counter gel that acts as a moisturizer for vaginal tissue) and that seemed to help a little with tissue sensitivity but not enough for me to continue buying it.

Anyway, I think the real stumbling block for me has been "feeling sexy/beautiful" while learning to live with this condition. No matter what DH says or does I still feel "broken" and this is something I'm working on. I have a slight head start though since I went through something similar after my c/s... I healed fine physically but emotionally/spiritually/intellectually I had a lot of body issues as a result of "failing" to birth normally. So I'm familiar with these emotions and have some idea of the road I need to find in terms of "getting back" my positive self image.

I'm rambling but... hang in there. Bad days and good days get jumbled together a lot, but it will probably all work out. You just have to give it time.

#425 of 1505 Old 03-14-2008, 04:27 PM

I'm still in the denial stage I just had vbac #2 five weeks ago and I think I have bladder prolapse. I'm going to the ob next week...guess I'll find out for sure. My question is this: with dd #2, I had a 26 hour active labor, I was at 10 cm for almost ten hours, pushed for six, finally had a vbac. Oh, I also had bronchitis for two months when I was pg with her, coughed so much that I broke a rib. Dramatic, huh? Anyway, my pg with ds was much better and I was only in labor with him for three hours, pushed for three minutes! Yeah! So, could my prolapse be from dd and not ds? Or did I push too hard/too fast and pushed everything out? Had a section with dd #1, which I'm sure could contribute to my current condition. Just wondering if you wise mamas had any answers/advice for me. I'm still in shock over the lovely bulge in my vagina; I won't even let dh look at it because I'm so scared of it. TIA

Perdita, wife to J, mom to Bridget (6), Ivy (4) Trace (2) and Fiona, my 3rd vbac baby, born 12/2/09!
#426 of 1505 Old 03-14-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecore View Post
I think that I'm experiencing a prolapse of ALL of my pelvic organs. I felt my cervix a couple of inches inside my vagina, behind the cystocele, and what I believe to be rectocele. I made an appt. with an OB that specializes in POP, but it isn't for a few weeks. How will I be able to have sex with my uterus so low? I had no intention of pursuing surgery or a pessary, but now I'm wondering if I'll have an option if I ever want to dtd again.
It can feel so depressing, can't it? Lots and lots of hugs to you.

Your experiences may be different, but I wanted to let you know that I don't have trouble having sex. I have a prolapsed uterus (between levels 1 and 2), a prolapsed bladder (also between levels 1 and 2), and a very minor prolapsed rectum. Even when my cervix is hanging its lowest, about 1/2 or 3/4 inch inside my vagina, there's still a sizable path past it. I mean, the uterus/cervix can't fill up the entire vaginal canal. (In fact, at one recent physical exam, my PT accidentally put her fingers right past the cervix and went all the way to the back of the vagina. Then she said, "I can't feel your cervix at all!" like somehow it had vanished.)

Sometimes it takes a little wiggling around upon penetration to shift the cervix/uterus out of the way, which sounds terrible but in practice is no big deal. And penetration is easiest when you work with gravity -- lying down on your back, in other words -- but then it's possible to carefully shift to another position.
#427 of 1505 Old 03-14-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perditafoster View Post
I'm still in the denial stage I just had vbac #2 five weeks ago and I think I have bladder prolapse. I'm going to the ob next week...guess I'll find out for sure. My question is this: with dd #2, I had a 26 hour active labor, I was at 10 cm for almost ten hours, pushed for six, finally had a vbac. Oh, I also had bronchitis for two months when I was pg with her, coughed so much that I broke a rib. Dramatic, huh? Anyway, my pg with ds was much better and I was only in labor with him for three hours, pushed for three minutes! Yeah! So, could my prolapse be from dd and not ds? Or did I push too hard/too fast and pushed everything out? Had a section with dd #1, which I'm sure could contribute to my current condition. Just wondering if you wise mamas had any answers/advice for me. I'm still in shock over the lovely bulge in my vagina; I won't even let dh look at it because I'm so scared of it. TIA
Congratulations on your new baby! You're so recently postpartum that I'm guessing that your body will recover a lot. It's still kind of shocking, though, isn't it, to see something that looks so wrong? You are not alone.

Of course you still need to process everything about the birth, and naturally you want to try to determine what "caused" the prolapse -- I have done the same thing, over and over. Unfortunately, we may never be able to know for sure. I honestly don't think doing something "wrong" causes prolapse. It's just a combination of so many factors! As far as guesses go, I would think the coughing and prolonged pushing with kid #2 would have a lot to do with it, perhaps weakening your connective tissue so that the weight of the next pregnancy with kid #3 caused the prolapse? Sounds like you had a fabulous birth with #3, so you can't blame the pushing!

Take care of your body now, and try to avoid a lot of lifting and straining while your tissues are still stretched out and vulnerable. Good luck and heal quickly!
#428 of 1505 Old 03-15-2008, 07:18 PM

hi everyone, thanks again for all the funds of information.

just a couple of questions.

has anyone used a tens machine to any good effect? i've got one but am not sure if it's doing more harm than good.

i tried doing kegels today with my legs against the wall in a v shape (as suggested in the Tupler book). my kegels feel strong when i do them in a sitting position but i could barely do the feeblest squeeze with my legs up. does anyone else get this and what's it all about?

last question. i've also got the christine kent book (1st edition, cheap off ebay!) and tried to do the posture. it seemed very very weird. walking with your knees bent all the time? i don't get it. any advice?

btw i've got a cystocele (i think).
thanks again...
#429 of 1505 Old 03-15-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecore View Post
I'm feeling really depressed about all of this. I think that I'm experiencing a prolapse of ALL of my pelvic organs. I felt my cervix a couple of inches inside my vagina, behind the cystocele, and what I believe to be rectocele. I made an appt. with an OB that specializes in POP, but it isn't for a few weeks. How will I be able to have sex with my uterus so low? I had no intention of pursuing surgery or a pessary, but now I'm wondering if I'll have an option if I ever want to dtd again. I just feel really overwhelmed by this. It seems like the outlook is worse the more I find out. I finally broke down and cried today- I was feeling positive at first, but that feeling is totally gone now. I need some hope, but I feel like there's not much to be had. :
I'm sorry you're down - I've experienced myself the rollercoaster of emotions associated with POP. If I can share what helped me...

Don't read all the horror stories online. Most are worst case scenarios. My husband had to ban me from the internet because I would get hysterical. Do your research, but try to get your info from clinical sources.

Try not to go overboard with self-exams. Personally I think they made my symptoms worse because my vagina was irritated from all of my feeling around.

A pessary might not be a bad option if it helps you feel more normal. If fitted correctly you wouldn't even be able to feel it. It's just a supportive item - you'd wear a knee brace or a back brace, why not a bladder brace?

Get a referral to a PT that specializes in pelvic floor injuries. It really helped me and some other members.

Have faith in your body's ability to heal itself. I believe that you will feel better. Maybe not pre-baby, but to a good functioning level. I really do believe it, and hope that you will, too.
#430 of 1505 Old 03-15-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Have faith in your body's ability to heal itself. I believe that you will feel better. Maybe not pre-baby, but to a good functioning level.
My care provider said something like "After a baby, most women bounce back 90 percent. You bounced back 80%." At the time the comment bothered me but over the month it's actually been kind of comforting. It's given me a slightly different perspective... I agree that some change, even pop, is normal with birth. How many mamas think stress incontinence is just something that happens after a babe? I mean, it's so "normal" it isn't even questioned. And that's 90%.

POP is only abnormal to the extent that it interferes with life. And so I'm at 80%. I hope to be closer to 90% someday but I'm trying to make peace with my 80.

And 100% yeah that to avoiding internet horror stories! I had a 4th degree tear and dd2 had shoulder dystocia. Add in the POP and when I went looking for birth stories (considering future babe #3) I was bawling my eyes out for weeks.

#431 of 1505 Old 03-15-2008, 11:14 PM

I just have to chime in here to say that I've been following this thread from the start and it really helps, any time any day, to know that I'm not alone and not crazy. I'm sorry everyone else here is in the same boat, but thank you ALL for your posts. I just visited tonight because I, too, finally got the old cycle back (bummer) and am struggling with what to use- my diva didn't work the one time I tried to use it before second pregnancy, so I'm not even trying it now as the prolapse is worse than before, and after three days of using pads I just cannot bear the thought of years to come of doing this every month.... so I'll be ordering sea sponges to try and then listening in for any other suggestions... very timely, this discussion. I couldn't believe my answers were there before I even asked the question!
hugs to everyone. and short, light, periods.
#432 of 1505 Old 03-17-2008, 04:05 PM

Question... anyone else notice a difference in their POP during different points in their cycle?

Last month I had three days of really bad POP... painful, low bulging, really miserable. But I'd been overdoing some things and figured that was the problem since it seemed to resolve on it's own. But today is the third day in a row of really uncomfortable POP symptoms (the bulging, tampon out of place sensation, pain when sitting or walking, increased leaking, etc) and I haven't "done" anything.

So I'm wondering... anyone else find their POP is worse (or just feels worse) during certain points in their cycle? My cycles are just getting going again and I'm not charting/tracking right now so I'm not certain if this pain corresponds with anything yet...

Thanks!

#433 of 1505 Old 03-17-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Question... anyone else notice a difference in their POP during different points in their cycle?

Last month I had three days of really bad POP... painful, low bulging, really miserable. But I'd been overdoing some things and figured that was the problem since it seemed to resolve on it's own. But today is the third day in a row of really uncomfortable POP symptoms (the bulging, tampon out of place sensation, pain when sitting or walking, increased leaking, etc) and I haven't "done" anything.

So I'm wondering... anyone else find their POP is worse (or just feels worse) during certain points in their cycle? My cycles are just getting going again and I'm not charting/tracking right now so I'm not certain if this pain corresponds with anything yet...

Thanks!
I haven't gotten my period back yet, so can't speak for myself, but I've read that some women have an increase in symptoms in the week before they get their period. Hormones, I guess.
#434 of 1505 Old 03-17-2008, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks!
Yes, there is definately a hormonal relationship between POP & symptoms. My OB explained it to me, but I do not remember exactly what she said. Something about the hormones causing the ligaments to tighten & relax at various stages. I noticed that when I weaned, my POP symptoms got much better and I have the fluctuations around my cycles too.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#435 of 1505 Old 03-17-2008, 11:25 PM

My menses haven't returned yet either. It'll be a year April 9th. Its really strange not to have a period yet. This feels like I'm still in the postpartum period. I guess I am.

I want to cry.

My POP was doing great. I thought for sure I'd never look back. I was going to heal completely. My cervix was no where to be found for several months until... I got a respiratory infection. I still cough every so often. I've been battling this for about a month now. My POP is worse. Just as bad as it was when I started off.

My biggest complaint is my vagina feels so damn loose! Sorry to be so graphic. Does anyone else feel this way?

Seriously, some days I want to get surgery to tighten things up. But do I really want to deal with all those scars? I'd just trade one problem for another. When I walk, my insides are slothing around. There seems to be zero strength down there for me right now. It makes me so depressed. I'm even considering medication. I need something to help me.

I do have that premairin that I've never used. But then again, once I stop taking it, my symptoms will return.

I haven't been active on MDC because I've been so darn depressed.
#436 of 1505 Old 03-18-2008, 02:55 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
just thought i would reply to this with my experience

I had Huge changes. I had Very difficult, painful, heavy periods and my uterine prolapse was much more miserable from about 2 days before my period until about the last 2 days of it. This was a week for me. I wondered if the increase in all the fluids that came with the pevic engorgment just made things heavier and sit lower even yet.

It would feel differnt again midcycle as well. I have not ever talked to anyone else about that particularly so i dont know if im the odd one out, but since I did go through symptoms as a result of POP for a more than 2 years I had plenty of time to pick it all apart

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#437 of 1505 Old 03-18-2008, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Fruitful Womb, I just had to respond to your post. I have totally been there. I am just recovering from a sinus infection w/a bad cough that lasted over a month. It also set me back to the early days of my prolapse. A couple visits to my chiropractor, who is doing Mayan Uterine Massage as well as other chiropractic techniques, and I am back to my most comfortable stage. Try to hang in there friend. Keep doing everything you have that has helped in the past. It will get better again.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#438 of 1505 Old 03-18-2008, 10:17 AM

hugs Fruitful... I'm sorry.

Thanks all...since this is only my 2nd pp cycle/2nd pop cycle I'm not certain what is going to be normal for me. Hopefully it will "tone up" a bit as my hormones do their thing. But I'm really sensitive to hormonal changes so I'm just going to think postive and keep my finger's crossed. I think this is mid-cycle but... well... I dont have a lot of repetitions in this data set yet. Sigh

#439 of 1505 Old 03-18-2008, 11:11 PM

i do definitely notice a change just before and at the beginning of my period. (a change for the worse.) from other stuff i've heard/read i think this is normal, a bit of a drop normal even for women without pop.

fruitfulwomb - i am so sorry. i dread a cough, that's for sure! i can only suggest kegels and maybe a physical therapist to help you focus them? but perhaps you've tried that already, i'm afraid i can't keep everyone's stories straight in my mind. in any case, and good luck.

Wife to the man I never expected, DS born at home '07, '08, baby girl born at home Oct '09!
#440 of 1505 Old 03-18-2008, 11:19 PM

Aww, Fruitful Womb, I have been there!: It is hard to feel like your body is letting you down -- we are not used to that. I used to throw around hay bales as a kid and now, as a landscape architect, I throw around plants. How can my body be falling apart on the inside? But you know how I've tried to look at it? Many, many women all over the world must have this same problem and not even know about it, so they carry on, carry children, carry buckets of water on their heads.... At least we have the knowledge and options to heal ourselves. I have always been good about holding my stomach muscles in to help my core, but I recently realized that I have not done the same with my pelvic floor. Now I try to remind myself to support both my core and my floor, especially when I am lifting something. How could I have left myself vulnerable for so long?

And Punkadude, I had the same experience with Kegels. I thought I was doing OK until the nurse asked me to squeeze when I was prone. She could barely tell I was doing it. I guess I had been doing it wrong. She said I needed to act like I was holding in a fart
#441 of 1505 Old 03-19-2008, 05:17 PM

I've read through the first 4 pages of posts and will make my way through the rest. I am SO happy to have found this thread. I posted about this somewhere on MDC recently and got like one response so I was feeling very alone and out-there. I look forward to continued reading and learning. My story: (FWIW I am 30 and this is my first child)...DD was born 12 days past EDD with midwives and a doula in attendance at a free standing birth center. First contraction was around noon, got to the birth center at 3, was over 6cm dilated, babe born at 9:39. Would have been fabulous I think, had she not had BOTH FISTS (yes, fists, not just hands) on the sides of her head. I pushed her head out to the location of her fists (so her head was about 1/3 to 1/2 out) in about an hour. For the next 2.5 hours I pushed like you wouldn't believe as she tore her way out. TMI I know, but I think this thread can handle it. I just can't believe that something the diameter of a head plus two fists came out of me. It was an all natural delivery and I am so proud and I don't think anything could have been done differently. I tried every position, in water, out of water, you name it...those damn fists just did me in. I have been seen by a PT once for what I though was abdominal separation (did not actually have this) and she noted that I had "some prolapse". I had no idea what that was (I thought it just meant excessive stretching) and had not been bothered by any symptoms at that time. Obviously things have progressed to where I have symptoms and it is clear that I have prolapse - although I have no idea what degree or type. If I had to guess I'd say I have a cystocele and rectocele with the latter not being as severe. I have an appt with a new PT (who is closer to me and covered by insurance - after the deductible of course in May (she's busy!) and I hope to get a better idea of my situation. Will post more as needed. Thank you so much to everyone on here for sharing stories and info. It is much appreciated.

Edit to add: I am so disturbed by this that I basically refuse to DTD. Poor hubby. He's so patient and understanding though. Is there any medical contraindication for DTD with prolapse or is it just more of a psychological issue?

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#442 of 1505 Old 03-19-2008, 05:31 PM

Congrats on your little one! My vbac dd arrived in June too.

In terms of DTD... nope, no medical reason not to do it.

#443 of 1505 Old 03-20-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I've had my cycles back since December 2006. Usually the only time I feel real pain from my prolapses is in the two or three days right before my period starts and the first three or so days of bleeding. There's a lot of heaviness and pressure in addition to pain. That's also when my cervix is the lowest, like 1/2 to 3/4 inch inside. Mid-cycle around ovulation, my cervix actually moves up a lot, like 3 or 4 inches inside, and the pressure subsides.

It was when I started charting again in October 2007 that I really noticed my prolapses. Prior to that I hadn't gone poking around in there too much -- I guess I wanted to remain in denial about the problem!

My PT suggested I try to insert a tampon while lying on my back with my hips elevated, and it actually works out pretty well. Since my cervix is so low I'm certain I won't be able to use a menstrual cup, but I'm considering trying out the sea sponges.
#444 of 1505 Old 03-20-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
My POP was doing great. I thought for sure I'd never look back. I was going to heal completely. My cervix was no where to be found for several months until... I got a respiratory infection. I still cough every so often. I've been battling this for about a month now. My POP is worse. Just as bad as it was when I started off.

My biggest complaint is my vagina feels so damn loose! Sorry to be so graphic. Does anyone else feel this way?

Seriously, some days I want to get surgery to tighten things up. But do I really want to deal with all those scars? I'd just trade one problem for another. When I walk, my insides are slothing around. There seems to be zero strength down there for me right now. It makes me so depressed. I'm even considering medication. I need something to help me.

I do have that premairin that I've never used. But then again, once I stop taking it, my symptoms will return.

I haven't been active on MDC because I've been so darn depressed.
Many, many hugs to you. I'm so sorry to hear about your set-back. It seems like this has happened to many of us -- whether it's a lingering cough, hours spent shoveling snow, or straining for ten minutes to pull a giant rootball out of the ground (ahem, that would have been me), we all know what it's like to slip off the road to recovery.

I was super-depressed about my error in judgment. I felt like the world's biggest idiot. I was too depressed even to come to MDC for several weeks. But then my PT said she didn't detect any additional damage -- while I was in a lot more physical pain, it didn't actually make me prolapse any further. I know I need to be a lot more careful now. The additional pain made me aware of what kinds of movements affect my pelvic floor and require a pelvic floor contraction: all of them. I lifted a heavy suitcase this week, and I'm still feeling twinges of pain from it. I consider that pain to be an education.

I'm taking this set-back as a wake-up call that I can never, ever relax about POP. But I am also certain that I can get back to where I was.

As far as the depression, maybe you're right that a little therapy might help you. (Mental therapy, not physical, although my PT has said many things that were helpful for my mental health.) I'd recommend you try that before seriously considering reconstructive surgery. When I get depressed sometimes it helps me to compare POP to other medical problems. I figure I could have come out of pregnancy with a bigger problem than POP. I didn't get diabetes, for one, or post-traumatic stress syndrome, or postpartum depression.

Again, I'm so sorry you're feeling down. You are not alone!
#445 of 1505 Old 03-21-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I have also worked in an OB/Midwife office, and I can tell you that plenty of elderly women have pesseries and do well. The biggest side effect is an increase in vaginal discharge.
I have no pessary and actually no idea what degree of prolapses I have at this point. But, significantly increased discharge is a side effect that has been annoying me. Why does this happen and then why would a pessary increase that?

#446 of 1505 Old 03-21-2008, 06:35 PM

If by discharge they mean urine...

A prolapsed bladder can lean over and "squish" the urethra. As the bladder is lifted the squish is reduced and urine flows more easily. Maening a prolapsed bladder can actually control incontenance and correction of the prolapse can cause leakage. It's apossible side effect of the surgery too.

#447 of 1505 Old 03-21-2008, 06:56 PM

Didn't even think of urine with the term "discharge". I am experiencing no incontinence but tons of other vaginal discharge, similar to cervical secretions during ovulation, only this happens every day. Any idea why this would increase with prolapse?

#448 of 1505 Old 03-30-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKM5513 View Post
Hi ladies,

So I had my appt. at the U of M hospital with an urogynecoligist yesterday. I was amazingly told I DO NOT have a prolapsed bladder. That what I have is some loose tissue from having my baby (big boy at 10.5 lbs) that has not snapped back yet. I was put on a kegel workout, and told that it should get better while nursing and get much improved after my estrogen levels return. And yes, I was at one point the exam took place with me standing up. Has anyone ever heard of this? All I know was that before this pregnancy, I had a (sorry to be brass) a hole in my vigina. No while on the potty, I see nothing but flesh. When I am standing it is a little better. I was told this is normal and that many women have this after having children. I am so confused by this all. One Doc tells me my bladder is falling out and I have a stage 2 cystocele. Another says everything is fine - HOW CAN THIS BE!?! Not that I am not overjoyed by this, but still worried - confused on who to trust and where to go from here. I know I have raved about the Kegelmaster, but am not sure it could have done this much in just 5 weeks. What do you gals think - should I go for a 3rd verdict from a different doc? I am just so confused. Anyone ever hear of this happening?

Moral of the story get a second opinion from a specialist. My OB was ready to cut me open for repair!

Thanks ladies in advance.
No one commented on this so I wanted to update everyone. I don't want anyone to ever go through what I have!

I wanted to update everyone on my "condition". I have seen another doctor and posted a question on MedHelp. I just wanted everyone to know that it is possible to have vaginal wall showing and NOT have it be your bladder. I am not completely healed, but doing much better. And it sounds like there are some options as far as therapy if things do not improve to my liking. This whole situation just goes to show that some doctors can be wrong! My regular OB was willing to do surgery on me...and he was wrong about his diagnois! Please, please, please, question your doctors and get a second opinion, before you make any decisions about your body! I wish I would of not been so trusting in my current OB - who has put me through hell for the last 4 months! I have learned to ask lots of questions, and to not be so trusting of my doctors, to learn and read for myself, and to always make myself heard! Lets hope I go on to have more beautiful babies, good luck to you all. Some of you have been such a blessing in my life, when I felt like know one knew what I was going through! If you would like to read the post on MedHelp here is the link. http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/429675

Thanks again for the support ladies!
#449 of 1505 Old 03-30-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2seven View Post
I believe the medical term for that (and it's more common than you'd think) is "splinting". It's one of the questions they ask when they are trying to determine if a prolapse interfers with your quality of life - "do you have to 'splint' to evacuate your bowels?" Can I snicker at how prissy that sounds?
I wonder if this is what I have. I was damaged internally by forceps during my ds's birth, and my muscles were so screwed up I couldn't even do a kegel postpartum. They did electric stimulation of the muscles to try to get them back in shape, but time seems to have done the most good. One day when I was having to help someone lift a patient at work I felt something drop. My gyno insisted it wasn't my uterus, but what the hell is it? I also don't know any other way to describe this other than since childbirth, my butt doesn't work right. When I go, I never feel like I'm done. The diva cup hurt for me too, couldn't use it.

What can I do to get things lined back up right?

for intuitive readings click here :
#450 of 1505 Old 03-31-2008, 03:07 PM

CKM- that's great! I'm glad you're feeling better and have found a care provider who will really work with you! I checked out your medhelp thread too... what a great online resource! Thanks for sharing that. Let us know how it goes, ok?

Bigeyes- if you feel like you're not voiding your bowels all the way, you may want to try splinting (and yes, that sounds extremely prissy and not at all like what it really is). Basically if your intestines/bowels fell forward into the vaginal area then you'd have a rectocele. Putting a finger into your vagina and pressing the bowels back into place can make voiding easier/more complete. I had to do this for a long time not because of a rectocele but because of a 4th degree tear/repair where I really needed to support the perineum inside and out while voiding. It results in a funny "sit" on the toilet but since squatting to eliminate lines things up better anyway... well. You may want to try it and see if it helps.

If it does help, have your care provider examine you when you are standing up. When you lay down on your back the bowels can fall back into place with the assitance of gravity and it appears to the dr that there is nothing wrong.

I hope this helps. Let us know...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page