Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Support Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 1504 Old 08-29-2007, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's even a wikipedia page... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaginal_flatulence

Queefing (the term I know) is pretty common after/during some sex positions and, well...as the wiki points out it even features in some adult films! Not that that is exactly a positive thing, but yeah... fanny farts are normal. Even for women with no history of pelvic floor problems.

hugs mama...

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#122 of 1504 Old 08-29-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatriffic View Post
Here's a really embarassing question that I can't believe I am asking but here goes. Since my prolapse air gets trapped up there and inevitably comes out making a very embarassing noise. Please, please tell me I'm not the only one. During the day it doesn't bother me so much because I can just blame it on the kids. But I would be mortified if this happened during sex. It's bad enough that I feel like I have to hold my insides in and can't empty my bladder or bowel all the way. Now I have to worry about vaginal farts too? This is when I either laugh until I cry or cry until I laugh.
it's happened to me a few times - dh and i just laugh about it. don't be mortified! after all, what's the point of being married?

Wife to the man I never expected, DS born at home '07, '08, baby girl born at home Oct '09!
#123 of 1504 Old 08-29-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife View Post
i have a cystocele and rectocele but have never had issues w it. i have always been told that its pretty normal after preg...and a large majoritry of women i have seen have at least one.

i know docs like to recommend surgery or hysterectomy for this, which makes me sick.

i blame our sedentary lifestyles as the #1 reason why this happens. forced pusahing comes a close 2nd. thoughts?

sorry,nak
well, i've never been sedentary and wasn't forced to push... i have a feeling mine had more to do with too much activity.

Wife to the man I never expected, DS born at home '07, '08, baby girl born at home Oct '09!
#124 of 1504 Old 08-29-2007, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
by sedentary, i mean not squatting or do other things regularly that would improve our pelvic floor health. i don't know too many modern women that do the type of squatting that is done in other cultures - or even the type of cleaning/activities that were done 100 years ago.

then again, i don't think that nearly all cystoceles and rectoceles are damaging or harmful. it just happens with pregnancy. some women have issues with bladder control, but it isn't always about a cystocele.

then again, this could totally be a normal process of being pregnant. we don't know for sure, but i honestly believe that our lack of physical activity has alot to do with it. (as does episiotomy, forced pushing on the tailbone, etc)

I guess I'm always cautious of anything other than kegels and PT - because so many docs are eager to take our uteruses out or "sling our bladders". PT works much nicer without the surgical trauma.
#125 of 1504 Old 08-29-2007, 04:19 PM

Well, not to disagree totally or derail a support thread, but as a semi-professional belly dancer I've got pretty good pelvic floor awareness/strength/flexibility/control. And I rarely use chairs outside of work (one of the oddest things about my recovery has been sitting in our comfy armchair every single day for at least a while ). Usually I tailor sit but squatting is something I never stopped doing as a kid (my family worked with Vietnamese refugees for years and everyone else was squatting so it didn't occur to me to do differently!) I did have SD and a 4th degree tear, however there were no birth interventions (other than a jacuzzi tub ) until dd was impacted for quite some time. I don't hold modern birth technique blameless, but I don't put all the blame on that either.

I agree that physical activites and postures have changed and birth is changing with it (I'm a spinning babies fan) and that these prolapse conditions aren't a new thing by any stretch of the imagination. BUT I don't agree that it's just something a mama should accept or be happy about or see as "normal". Just because something may be natural it doesn't always follow that it is normal, or healthy, or appropriate, or to be ignored.

I'm glad that some prolapse mamas don't have any quality of life issues associated with prolapse (it's not always linked to childbirth of course) but I don't think that mamas who are concerned about their prolapses are out of line!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#126 of 1504 Old 08-29-2007, 04:57 PM

I agree with you, wombatclay. I never meant to imply that women should be "happy" about it, but that it is very, very normal.

For women who have urinary issues and rectal issues, PT is the best course of action. I just have an issue with the current "treatment" by OB/GYNs of hysterectomy.
#127 of 1504 Old 08-29-2007, 05:00 PM

Oh, I agree... the whole woman site is a wonderful resource for non-slice n dice prolapse care. There's a wonderful attitude there about self care!

#128 of 1504 Old 08-29-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife View Post
I agree with you, wombatclay. I never meant to imply that women should be "happy" about it, but that it is very, very normal.

For women who have urinary issues and rectal issues, PT is the best course of action. I just have an issue with the current "treatment" by OB/GYNs of hysterectomy.
Hi Pam, but are we really shocked that that's there answer?

BTW I Heart Pam in all her awesome midwiferynessesss :

Mama to Hailey Rose '02 Pro- crunchy
#129 of 1504 Old 08-29-2007, 05:19 PM

Yup...gots'ta love the Pam.

On the whole woman site, I really like the "two doors" story. And it's important for people to think of surgery as just one option, and not really the best option for most. Like the story says, the surgery is always there. Why not try other things first? If those don't work then you can consider other options. But if you start with surgery...well. In some cases you'll be fine, but in many you'll just make a bad situation worse and be setting yourself up for more and more surgical intervention as time goes by.

Bleh...off to play with my babe...I'm depressing myself here!

#130 of 1504 Old 08-29-2007, 05:29 PM

You can all call me Henny Penny now. The sky (or my rectum, for that matter) is NOT falling as I had thought. I just got back from the doctor, who determined I just have hemmorhoids. So as much as I have appreciated the discussion here, I guess I should look for advice on my problem, and leave you lovely ladies to continue supporting each other. Be well!
#131 of 1504 Old 08-29-2007, 05:42 PM

yay ecoteat! Congrats! (and boy does it feel funny to say congrats! you've got piles!)

#132 of 1504 Old 08-30-2007, 01:51 AM

My oh my have this thread grown! This is so wonderful! Sorry its been a while since my last visit. I really need a "pick-me-up". I've been feeling better in some ways and annoyed at this WATER BALLOON feeling in my vagina! Tho, I'm optimistic. I consider myself lucky to feel so optimistic because its not of my nature to do so. I feel strongly that being positive will promote healing. And I can prove it!

When I gave birth to my 10ber I saw my entire vagina budging out of my body.
This really freaked me out, ok! But My wonderful Midwife at the time (a partner to the MW that helped deliver 3 of my previous HB children) told me "Don't worry about that, its normal, just do your kegals and you'll be fine!" That was that! I did my kegals and I healed.

4 m ago I had the same thing happen except I didn't care to notice until after my UTI. Bad UTI Bad! With every urge to expel urine came down my cervix. that stinging part during a UTI compelled my body to go into a pushing stage, similar to the pushing stage during labor. I think I was 3ks pp? This is when my MW told me about the time she pushed my cervix back into my body after delivering Liam. She thought it was a blood clot. I understand now why she inserted her hand into me after the apprentice asked, "uh whats that?" MW pushed down HARD on my belly after she put my cervix back into me. Then strongly advised me to NOT EVEN VACUUM! My house is terribly neglected. If I do anything my insides will fall out. This mess is a hazard too! I have to do something! So tomorrow I've got a friend that will come over to watch Liam and the others while I allow myself to work for 2 hrs. Thats it! 2rs to give this place some attention. I want this place back in order! Did giving birth disable me!? Since I'm feeling better I'll work back into a routine, slowly.

Oh, my point is, this MW is negative. Healing sucks. Positive MW= greater healing.

Love and peace to you all!
~FW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatriffic View Post
Coming out of the woodwork to thank everyone for this thread. I noticed my prolapse a few days after my 4th baby was born, 5 weeks ago. She was my biggest, 10lbs5oz, and I wonder if that contributed to the problem. I think I probably had a very mild cystocele before her but now I feel like I'm walking around with a baseball up there all the time. I'm fairly certain I have a cystocele and a rectocele. I haven't seen anyone about it yet because surgery isn't an option for me now, even if I did decide I wanted it.

I've rested as much as possible since she was born. We pretty much hung out in bed and relaxed for the first 3 weeks. And I'm still taking it easy. But it doesn't seem to be getting better and I'm so angry. I know I probably shouldn't be but I am. I hate the way this feels. I hate that I can't do things that I want to do because I'm worried I'll make it worse. I hate that it bothers me so much. I hate that I have to ask for help to do things that I didn't even think twice about before, like lifting laundry baskets. I feel hopeless and depressed a lot and I don't really have anyone irl to talk to about this that understands. But I do feel better knowing I'm not alone, so thank you for this thread. The Whole Woman site is giving me some hope that maybe some day I won't think about my vagina all day long.
Hang in there mama, I want to talk to you so I'm going to have my say tomorrow evening b/c right now I'm sssoooo tired. I'm so glad your here. Congratulations on your new baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
hugs ecoteat...I'm so sorry. It sounds like you weren't pushing "too soon". You were listening to and going with your body. You didn't do this to yourself, you didn't mess up, you didn't do it wrong. It stinks, and it's not fair, and it's normal to mourn... but this really is just something that happens and sometimes it just isn't anyone's "fault". Like stretch marks. Sometimes you do everything "right" and it doesn't matter.

hang in there mama...
I've got a point to make of this too. Basically whenever I felt this after giving birth to the three last babies, (not so much with my dd) it was PAINFUL! Not anymore tho.

#133 of 1504 Old 08-30-2007, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post
You can all call me Henny Penny now. The sky (or my rectum, for that matter) is NOT falling as I had thought. I just got back from the doctor, who determined I just have hemmorhoids. So as much as I have appreciated the discussion here, I guess I should look for advice on my problem, and leave you lovely ladies to continue supporting each other. Be well!
Great news Amy! Definately the lesser of two evils!

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#134 of 1504 Old 08-30-2007, 01:03 PM

I have a question, I am almost 4 weeks PP my cervix is hanging down into my vaginal canal. My MW says it is not prolapse because it's not hanging out of my vagina, obviously it is prolapse to some extent. We went to the beach last Sun to Tues so I didn't do much of anything. This seems to have made things worse. When I get up in the morning I can't even find my cervix, within 1/2 hour it is hanging down agian. I am doing my kegels religiously. Any thoughts?
#135 of 1504 Old 08-30-2007, 01:12 PM

Hey there mamas!

I haven't posted in awhile. I'm now pregnant with baby #3 and I'm a little worried what my future MW is going to say about my cystocele/rectocele. It doesn't really bother me that much, but they are both a stage 2. They happened during ds's very rapid birth, along with a 3rd degree tear. The tear was sutured by my old MW but the outer layer popped open at a week pp. The MW told me to just rest as much as possible and not worry about it. It never did heal back together, but it is just the outer layer. I think this may also have something to do with my prolapse issues.

Anyway, I'm really excited to be pregnant again! I am interviewing a HB MW in a few weeks that I've heard is pretty laid back. I'm concerned that she won't take me as a patient because of the existing prolapse, even though I truly believe that everything can and will be fine. Has anyone had prolapse (and bad tears) with one baby and gone on to have a trouble free birth the next time?

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#136 of 1504 Old 08-30-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
Hey there mamas!

I haven't posted in awhile. I'm now pregnant with baby #3 and I'm a little worried what my future MW is going to say about my cystocele/rectocele. It doesn't really bother me that much, but they are both a stage 2. They happened during ds's very rapid birth, along with a 3rd degree tear. The tear was sutured by my old MW but the outer layer popped open at a week pp. The MW told me to just rest as much as possible and not worry about it. It never did heal back together, but it is just the outer layer. I think this may also have something to do with my prolapse issues.

Anyway, I'm really excited to be pregnant again! I am interviewing a HB MW in a few weeks that I've heard is pretty laid back. I'm concerned that she won't take me as a patient because of the existing prolapse, even though I truly believe that everything can and will be fine. Has anyone had prolapse (and bad tears) with one baby and gone on to have a trouble free birth the next time?
there are several women over at whole women who have some pretty significant prolapses who have gone on to have wonderful, uncomplicated pregnancies and births.

if we are to have another child, i will plan a homebirth again (we had a homebirth transfer turn into a horrifically traumatic hospital birth with forceps and episiotomy and purple pushing for 5 hours...is it no wonder that my bladder fell down???)

i actually feel most kinship with the uc mamas here now, and that is what i envision as the birth of my dreams. however, i will most likely seek out the services of a homebirth midwife that is experienced in working with mamas who have had traumatic first births and with extensive tearing, etc.

i also figured that even despite the cystocele, i feel SOOOOO fortunate to not have had a surgical birth. i think the decision to hbac is more challenging than the decision to hb post prolapse, and so many women go on to have successful hbacs.

just remember...don't push in the lithotomy position. hands and knees would probably keep your pelvic organs aligned properly so that you won't have a problem. don't do any forced/directed pushing, let your body do the work (that's what the fetal ejection reflex is for!), or some mamas breathe their babies down.

wishing you a wonderful, vibrant pregnancy and the birth of your dreams!
#137 of 1504 Old 08-31-2007, 12:29 AM

So one question I have is: if "breathing the baby out" is supposed to be good, then why is a rapid birth (during which I was breathing as much as I could, until my body "grunted" the baby out) supposed to be harder on the pelvic organs? Anyone know WHY precipitous deliveries cause trouble?
#138 of 1504 Old 08-31-2007, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddoson View Post
I have a question, I am almost 4 weeks PP my cervix is hanging down into my vaginal canal. My MW says it is not prolapse because it's not hanging out of my vagina, obviously it is prolapse to some extent. We went to the beach last Sun to Tues so I didn't do much of anything. This seems to have made things worse. When I get up in the morning I can't even find my cervix, within 1/2 hour it is hanging down agian. I am doing my kegels religiously. Any thoughts?
Congratulations on your birth! 4wks is still SO EARLY! Right now you have the advantage to get the most out of your postpartum period.

In England they won't do a prolapse evaluation until ONE YEAR postpartum! Because the consider the vagina to be in trauma until that time. NO SH!T!

In Chinese Medicine postpartum is a period of TWO YEARS!

I recommend you read "Natural Health after Birth: The Complete Guide to Postpartum Wellness"

If it makes you feel any better I felt this too at 4wks pp. My cervix hasn't fallen in a long time. I'm 4 m pp now. My main problem is the water balloon feeling in my vagina. I have rectal issues too. Other than that, stay as optimistic as you can. And as much as you might hate to, get back in bed! IT seems that people like us who suffer P.O.P. are usually very active.

There is a lot of truth in the saying, 42 days for 42 years! Rest in bed staying it there for 42 days will invest for you 42 yrs of pelvic health.

Take homeopathic Sepia. That worked wonders for me.

~FW
#139 of 1504 Old 08-31-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
And as much as you might hate to, get back in bed! IT seems that people like us who suffer P.O.P. are usually very active.

~FW
That;s the thing, doing nothing seems to make things worse, once i get out the door and working (horse trainer so physical work) my cervix starts to move back up (a little). From all I have read this is opposite of what should be happening...?

I have been taking sepia, thank you! How often did you take it?
#140 of 1504 Old 09-01-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:
That;s the thing, doing nothing seems to make things worse, once i get out the door and working (horse trainer so physical work) my cervix starts to move back up (a little). From all I have read this is opposite of what should be happening...?
just a brainstorm here, but in looking at te whole woman site, horseback riding is the ONLY activity i've ever done that encouraged the posture she recommends (tailbone tilted slightly up). i would think even when you weren't riding, you might tend to stand that way?

more recently, i've done yoga and bellydancing... and in both was always constantly told to point the tailbone DOWN and straighten the spine as much as possible, so i thought that was GOOD posture! :

wombatclay, what has your experience been with bellydancing? i've been afraid to go back, but i would love to.

#141 of 1504 Old 09-01-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
wombatclay, what has your experience been with bellydancing? i've been afraid to go back, but i would love to.
I've been doing really gentle/easy moves... I'm only 2.5months out from my 4th degree tear and things are still pretty sore/painful/uncomfortable in the pelvic region even without the prolapse issue. So no shimmies (too sore for hips, too breastfeeding busty for shoulders), no hip drops, no really active sequences. But hip/chest circles and crescents, hip circles, belly rolls, etc have been okay. And they seem to help.

It's nice since I know I'm increasing blood flow and getting gentle stretching which should spead healing of the tear which will help with the prolapse as well. And the posture/dance moves are good for prolapse support as well.

Oh...does anyone have the book "Bounce Back after the baby"? It's a LLL approved exercise book with a whole chapter on prolapse/incontenance and exercises/techniques for non-surgical support for these conditions. Even pictures for "correct toilet postures" and stuff like that. And another section on diastasis repair. I'd totally forgotten about it but rediscovered the book last week. Anyone else seen it?

#142 of 1504 Old 09-02-2007, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debsdancer View Post
So one question I have is: if "breathing the baby out" is supposed to be good, then why is a rapid birth (during which I was breathing as much as I could, until my body "grunted" the baby out) supposed to be harder on the pelvic organs? Anyone know WHY precipitous deliveries cause trouble?
From what I remember it's may not give enough time for the tissues to stretch enough or slowly enough. They also tend to be very intense and contractions closer together, so possibly more stressful to baby and less rest time to recovery between contractions. However, I remember reading or talking to a person who said that where they were from in Africa most the women had what we consider precipitous birth. That was the norm for them.

#143 of 1504 Old 09-02-2007, 11:01 AM

I agree with the "stretching" idea...

Also, with shoulder dystocia, it's more common in births with a loooong pushing stage OR births with a precipitous pushing stage. My opinion is that a long second stage is suggesting that there could be some sort of fit problem (babe needs more time to move, or isn't coming out exactly "right") but in a really fast second stage maybe the babe isn't totally on target either but they're just pushing their way out anyway. I do know bladder prolapse can be a side effect of SD since the "stuck" shoulder can bang into the bladder and really smoosh things all to heck.

So, maybe in a precipitous labor (even without SD) there is a greater chance of the babe smacking into things in their "hurry" to come out?

I don't know if that makes sense...I need more coffee!

#144 of 1504 Old 09-02-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debsdancer View Post

Both of my UCs were exactly 3 hours, which is just long enough to not be considered precipitous (precipitous, I believe, is less than 3 hours). I read about it somewhere, and questioned the midwife I use for prenatal care. I had always felt blessed to have fast births because my midwife was of the mind that fast labors are usually the uncomplicated births, as in everything is lined up just right so there's nothing to slow it down. That's a good thing for unassisted births! She kind of "pshaw'ed" the whole idea that precipitous deliveries caused problems, because in her own practice, that's never been the case.

My issues with prolapse were caused by a hospital birth, and I'm no worse for the wear from my subsequent speedy deliveries.

Shayla ~ Crunch-tastic UC mama of 3 nature kids and a moon baby

#145 of 1504 Old 09-04-2007, 12:03 AM

I didn't feel like my fast birth caused problems, either... like you said, everything was lined up and no problems to slow things down. I believe my issues began when I got a bad cough about 2 weeks PP. Just a guess, but I had been feeling really good before I got sick. I was just kind of curious about that.
thanks, all!
#146 of 1504 Old 09-04-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:

I have been taking sepia, thank you! How often did you take it?
I did not have an answer to the horseback riding question! I'm so glad threadbey did. It makes a lot of sense too...

Quote:
looking at te whole woman site, horseback riding is the ONLY activity i've ever done that encouraged the posture she recommends (tailbone tilted slightly up). i would think even when you weren't riding, you might tend to stand that way?
I do take the sepia. I got this advise from my "Hearts & Hands, A Midwife's Guide". I buy the strongest potency available at Whole Foods. The book suggest 200C. Can't find 200C at any health store but you can order it online. The 30C works fine for me anyways. I can't explain why it works since the store guide to homeopathic remedies say its for moods, but it seems to work.
#147 of 1504 Old 09-04-2007, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
I did not have an answer to the horseback riding question! I'm so glad threadbey did. It makes a lot of sense too...

I do take the sepia. I got this advise from my "Hearts & Hands, A Midwife's Guide". I buy the strongest potency available at Whole Foods. The book suggest 200C. Can't find 200C at any health store but you can order it online. The 30C works fine for me anyways. I can't explain why it works since the store guide to homeopathic remedies say its for moods, but it seems to work.
Sepia does work for prolapse. What you're reading about moods is only one component of the whole remedy. Each remedy has a profile that involves a whole body description, and multiple symptoms that you should make overall or more so than another.

Uses for sepia

* women's problems related to menstruation
* costipation, particularly as a result of pregnancy or menstruation
* dandruff, particularly when associated with "pigmented patches"
* delayed menstruation, particularly if yeast infections are a problem
* problems associated with menopause, especially menstrual flooding and feeling that the womb will "drop out"
* amenorrhea when accompanied by depression and general aches and pains
* menorrhagia when accompanied by dragging pain in the lower abdomen, backache, depression, and irritability
* miscarriage when accompanied by dragging pains and irritability
* non-malignant swellings and tumors of the uterus (such as fibroids), again, when accompanied by the dragging pains and emotional make-up outlined above
* bedwetting in children when it occurs soon after falling asleep, and involuntary passing of urine on sneezing or coughing
* irritability, especially when connected with menstruation
* morning sickness, especially where cravings are worse in the morning and there is a craving for vinegar or pickles
* in cases of thrush or candidiasis
* young mothers who are having difficulty developing maternal feelings
* babies who dislike being held
* depression that is accompanied by irritability and an exaggerated sense of responsibility
* infertility, particularly when associated with loss of libido, exhaustion, and apathy

#148 of 1504 Old 09-04-2007, 09:52 AM

I'll have to see if I can find some sepia.

I'm getting frustrated. I can feel everything bulging right at the vaginal opening (sitting is uncomfy) and if I do kegels I can actually feel everything pull up and in...I tried last night and if I put my finger right at the vaginal opening and kegel the bulge actually vanishes within about 30-40 kegels. After 100 kegels the vaginal area feels almost normal.

But within a minute of stopping the kegels everything is right back down again.

So what to do? Keep kegelong and hope that eventually the muscle will hold everything in place even when not actively tightening it? Try something else? Live life in a handstand? Grrrrrrr.... it's so frustrating since the kegels obviously "work" but then everything just slides right back!

(and yeah, I'm not going to stop kegeling...it's just frustrating)

#149 of 1504 Old 09-04-2007, 10:38 AM

wombatclay, if you can, try and see a physical therapist. i kegeled like a madwoman, only to find out that i was doing them wrong. my pt also said not to do more than 50-60 a day. once i was doing them correctly it still took 6-8 weeks before i saw improvement.

you could also look into estrogen therapy. there are bio-identical creams - i think made from yams - if you are not comfortable with synthetics. i used estrace for a little while.

i hope you feel better soon.
#150 of 1504 Old 09-04-2007, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If anyone lives in Southern California, I know of an AMAZING physical therapist that specializes in prolapses.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page