Effects of Epidural - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2008, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I have two children 4, and a 5 month old. I had natural births with both..but when I went into labor with my DD her heartbeat kept dipping with some contractions and so I had to have her at the hospital (instead of the waterbirth I had planned). The drs were afraid they might have to do a c-section because of her heart rate, and while I did not want to, I let them give me an epidural so that I would be ready to go if the situation became dire. They gave me the epidural, and they tried a few things and her heartbeat was okay and I was able to go ahead a few hours later with the natural birth. But I did have the epi block first.

Fast forward 5 months later and I have been having tingling and numbness on my right side--hand, forearm, shoulder, foot and toes. Every now and then I feel it on the left side too. Its random. Stronger on some days than others. Went to a neurologist and had MRI to check for MS. Negative thank God! But now back to the drawing board--what is wrong with me? Could it be side effects of the epidural? Anyone else experience this? I have an appt w/ my GP on Thurs; I want to get to the bottom of this so desperately.

Simone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2008, 07:59 AM

I guess it could be due to the epi, but usually spinal injury affects the areas below rather than above, so the shoulder and forearm and hand thing surprise me.

Strange question but have you been taking anything to increase milk supply? I have a freind who was being investigated for numbness, tingling and muscle weaknesses and it turned out to be an adverse reaction to the motilium she'd been taking for months to keep her supply up...
Old 09-17-2008, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

hi thanks for your reply. i am not taking anything for the milk supply. since i have had the baby i have had low back pain on my right side; the same side where most of the numbness occurs. when i sleep at nite it hurts and usually subsides during the day, but its always tender on the lower right side. this is what i get for messing around with conventional medicine! but at the time there was really no option. i had planned for a waterbirth so i never investigated alternatives to an epidural in case of an emergency and i should have. well, hopefully my dr can get to the bottom of it.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:31 PM

I think you should go see a chiropractor! Our bodies get so wacked out after giving birth, and an epi could definitely cause extra issues.

I'm 3 weeks pp, and my chiro has helped me tremendously, as I was having a lot of hip pain and shooting pain in my tailbone and legs.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Old 09-18-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
I think you should go see a chiropractor! Our bodies get so wacked out after giving birth, and an epi could definitely cause extra issues.

I'm 3 weeks pp, and my chiro has helped me tremendously, as I was having a lot of hip pain and shooting pain in my tailbone and legs.
Yes, see a chiropractor regardless! I recently went and granted the chiro I went to was very thorough in explaining the whole process, what it does to our bodies, ect...I learned how vital chiropractic care is for anyone! I don't know if all are as thorough, but from what I know now, I recommend it to everyone! I feel so much better now!

Not sure what is causing your situation, but it wouldn't hurt to see a chiro, particularily one who doesn't "crack" your back. When you understand what chiropractors do and how our bodies respond to it, you may find your symptoms you're describing may go away. Certainly wouldn't hurt to see one!

Wish I knew the answer to your question, but I hope you find a solution soon!
Old 09-18-2008, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I will definitely see one ASAP. Thanks ladies. :-)

User Tag List