Wal-Mart Boots Man for Handing Out Gift Cards - Mothering Forums

#1 of 23 Old 12-23-2008, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.nbcactionnews.com/content...OnwAovaoQ.cspx

Quote:
Barry Goldberg said he bought $1,300 worth of $10 dollar gift cards at the Wal-Mart in Lisbon and as a gesture of goodwill, he started handing them out to customers in the store lobby.
: to the man's kindness. to Wal-Mart

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 12-23-2008, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Walmart has enough trouble controlling it's property (see Black Friday sales) I can't blame them for asking him to leave. Could you imagine the chaos if people realized what was going on and started to get pushy?

The guy is really neat though and hopefully he found somewhere else to spread his good cheer!
#3 of 23 Old 12-23-2008, 02:15 PM

Holy cow! This is the Walmart I go to!

Why couldn't he have been there when I was shopping on Thursday night?

What a kind soul he is.

And on Walmart.

#4 of 23 Old 12-23-2008, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post
Walmart has enough trouble controlling it's property (see Black Friday sales) I can't blame them for asking him to leave. Could you imagine the chaos if people realized what was going on and started to get pushy?

The guy is really neat though and hopefully he found somewhere else to spread his good cheer!
I know.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#5 of 23 Old 12-23-2008, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeydee View Post

Why couldn't he have been there when I was shopping on Thursday night?

What a kind soul he is.

And on Walmart
Why? I can absolutely see people getting rowdy in a situation like that. Heck, people get pushy at the taster tables at Costco on a Sunday. Free gift cards?!?!?! I don't trust people to act civilized. Sad but true.
#6 of 23 Old 12-23-2008, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Being mobbed is why many secret santa give out and then run.

I can see why for security reasons they would ask him to leave. If he would be mobbed or mugged they don't want the responciblity.

I don't fault Walmart.
#7 of 23 Old 12-23-2008, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I hope one of our FINs got one.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#8 of 23 Old 12-23-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post
Why? I can absolutely see people getting rowdy in a situation like that. Heck, people get pushy at the taster tables at Costco on a Sunday. Free gift cards?!?!?! I don't trust people to act civilized. Sad but true.
Yeah, but he spent $1300 on $10 gift cards.. that's only 130 people.. there was an end to the generosity. I would have assumed it was a prank or something.. (stupid, stupid cynical mind!)
#9 of 23 Old 12-23-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanteach View Post
Yeah, but he spent $1300 on $10 gift cards.. that's only 130 people.. there was an end to the generosity. I would have assumed it was a prank or something.. (stupid, stupid cynical mind!)
That's only 130 people who would get the gift cards. But then take all those 130 people and their cell phones and them calling or texting their best friend/sister/sister's neighbor/sister's neighbor's vet etc, etc, to get down to walmart and before you know if, the poor guy is being pummeled because he ran out of gift cards and walmart is at fault because it didn't protect him or pull our their crystal ball and see the future and know it would result in a mob.

That's very nice of the man to do. But I don't fault walmart.

Mom to Ninja Boy (8)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Monkey Man (6)
#10 of 23 Old 12-23-2008, 08:06 PM

I would have started at one side of the store, gone up and down the aisles handing one to each shopper. Then I would have left quickly.

Jenn
#11 of 23 Old 12-23-2008, 10:35 PM

I don't think Wal-mart made the man leave because they were scared of stampedes. I'm sorry, they haven't showed that kind of discretion in the past and I won't give them credit for it now. I'm pretty sure it had to do with loss of profit.

If he'd bought the gift cards and given them to 130 friends and family, they'd have come into the store and more than likely spent MORE than that $10, generating sales. The people who were already in the store (or parking lot) were already coming in with planned purchases, and those people would simply use his gift card as a $10 coupon, causing a loss of income for Wal-mart.

Mama to our nose-in-a-book Autumn (6) & our old soul Molly (4)
Imaginative, fun jewelry & photography Shenandoah Sunshine
#12 of 23 Old 12-23-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyesOfTheWorld View Post
I don't think Wal-mart made the man leave because they were scared of stampedes. I'm sorry, they haven't showed that kind of discretion in the past and I won't give them credit for it now. I'm pretty sure it had to do with loss of profit.

If he'd bought the gift cards and given them to 130 friends and family, they'd have come into the store and more than likely spent MORE than that $10, generating sales. The people who were already in the store (or parking lot) were already coming in with planned purchases, and those people would simply use his gift card as a $10 coupon, causing a loss of income for Wal-mart.
Yep.. to assume that Walmart kicked him off the grounds to prevent people being trampled is assuming that Walmart is willing to learn from its mistakes. And I am not willing to grant them that.
#13 of 23 Old 12-23-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeydee View Post
Ha! I used to go to the Putnam or Willi one.

Quote:
What a kind soul he is.

And on Walmart.
Agreed.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#14 of 23 Old 12-24-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:

:

Why let fear stop you from giving? People watch way to much main stream news. I really believe that all are inherently good.
#15 of 23 Old 12-24-2008, 01:13 AM

how would it be a loss if the people used the $10 he already bought with his money not walmart money? The money would still have been spent that day, right? Or do they hope people buy gift cards that people won't use? So they actually get free money? Is that what you mean?

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
#16 of 23 Old 12-24-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiesandAbrosmama View Post
how would it be a loss if the people used the $10 he already bought with his money not walmart money? The money would still have been spent that day, right? Or do they hope people buy gift cards that people won't use? So they actually get free money? Is that what you mean?
No (well, maybe, I know lots of people do buy gift cards and they get forgotten, I have evidence in my wallet ) but I was must not have been clear. If you get a gift card to Walmart, even if you don't normally shop there or have anything to buy, you'll go in to use the gift card. It would be very rare that someone would spend exactly that $10, so that $10 gift card wound up gaining them 24.89 or so when you bought that toaster oven that you might have bought at Target or Amazon otherwise. If you're already at the store making purchases, instead of becoming new revenue, you just use that $10 gift card as a coupon on the purchase you already intended to buy. Am I totally going in circles here? I can see it in my head but I can't communicate it online!

#17 of 23 Old 12-24-2008, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiesandAbrosmama View Post
Or do they hope people buy gift cards that people won't use? So they actually get free money?
I remember reading an article about the amount of economic push unused gift cards do to individual businesses.. it was shocking.. Also, some gift cards have expiration dates..

Quote:
No (well, maybe, I know lots of people do buy gift cards and they get forgotten, I have evidence in my wallet )
I know what you can DO with those unused gift cards! Cough Cough :
#18 of 23 Old 12-24-2008, 03:05 AM

What a neat guy. I wonder though how wal mart could legally kick him off their grounds. He was not doing anything illegal.
#19 of 23 Old 12-24-2008, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
What a neat guy. I wonder though how wal mart could legally kick him off their grounds. He was not doing anything illegal.
Reverse panhandling?
#20 of 23 Old 12-24-2008, 03:24 AM

I don't have a problem with that. See: Black Friday DEATHS.

And WM itself may not learn, but their insurance company sure as hell did. IYKWIM.

babyf.gif

#21 of 23 Old 12-24-2008, 03:27 AM

Oh, and I didn't mean to imply it would be a loss to Walmart. I realize I did come across that way the first time. But it is (in the corporate view) a loss of potential sale by not bringing in customers that would not have been there if not for the gift cards.

#22 of 23 Old 12-24-2008, 04:09 AM

Hmm. I guess I'm a bah humbug type person.

I used to work at a store where "customers" would return merchandise, get a merchandise credit, then try to scam customers.

They would steal a blank gift card. Discreetly, they would use the merchandise credit to purchase say, a candy bar. This would prove the blank gift card was good. (slight of hand). The victim would pay in cash and get the blank gift card. The thief would keep the merch credit with the actually money on it and have cash.

This is really more common than you think. I wonder if Walmart was scared this man could have been doing something suspicious.

Sorry, but 1300 is a really random number. I don't get a man randomly passing out 1300 at a Walmart.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#23 of 23 Old 01-05-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
No (well, maybe, I know lots of people do buy gift cards and they get forgotten, I have evidence in my wallet ) but I was must not have been clear. If you get a gift card to Walmart, even if you don't normally shop there or have anything to buy, you'll go in to use the gift card. It would be very rare that someone would spend exactly that $10, so that $10 gift card wound up gaining them 24.89 or so when you bought that toaster oven that you might have bought at Target or Amazon otherwise. If you're already at the store making purchases, instead of becoming new revenue, you just use that $10 gift card as a coupon on the purchase you already intended to buy. Am I totally going in circles here? I can see it in my head but I can't communicate it online!
I understand what you're trying to say!

Julie, proud graduate of the AOW 3 year program in the study of boobology . Me : + DH : = Super Bubba !

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page