Brainstorm: Strategies to win back our country in 2008 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The republicans did a smart thing years ago. They aligned themselves with the religious right and convinced those folks that they were fighting for their "moral values" when in fact, they were taking advantage of them economically and in many other ways.

In the swing states, they pushed for the same-sex marriage amendment to be on the ballet to ensure that those driven by fear would come out in droves and vote to stop the "horror" and "threat" that same-sex marriage invokes . They also used the "War on Terror" in the same way. As if middle-America has to worry about that (and a big thank you to Faux news for helping that along nicely )

It worked.

How they managed to get millions of folks to vote against their best interest is simply shocking to me.

So, what can we as democrats/liberals/independents do to counter this? How can we energize our base and move people to become passionate and vote? I am against using the fear tactics that the Repubs have used--is there anyway to do this without resorting to that?

One thing I wish is that Kerry exposed Bush for the religious hypocrite that he is. Maybe if more people knew about Bush's true character and how his life is anything but Christian-like they would have thought twice about voting for him.

I've written this out quickly here so forgive me if my thought process is muddled at all. I spent yesterday in tears and I want to do something today--even if it's just thinking about strategies--that seems productive.

Any ideas??

Also, Any thoughts on Hilary? I'm not so sure that she can do it for us....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 02:29 PM

I do not think Hilary is electable to the White House in this sexist country.
#3 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 02:53 PM

I don't think Hillary is electable because nobody likes her. I mean the people who voted for Bush won't be won over by Hillary, so you won't get any votes that way. The media's been making a big deal about how W was easier to elect because he was more likeable than Kerry. That even the youth who registered to vote for the first time really didn't rally behind Kery because he wasn't "likeable." Whatever that means. You need someone likeable. Is Barak Obama likeable? He seems likeable to me. Or are there too many racists? How do you find the perfect likeable down-home "everyman" demoncrat? What do you do when people care so much about things that are not REAL issues? It's impossible.

Single mom of 2 boys
#4 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 02:56 PM

yes there are to many racists for Obama too especially to the White House.

Past history has shown that the only Dem that the right bigots will vote for is one that is "one of their own" a southern boy.
#5 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 03:34 PM

let's start with insisting on universal electronic voting WITH A PAPER TRAIL and reclaiming the Senate and House in 2006

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#6 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

I also worry that our country wouldn't embrace a woman or an African-American man....but, and here's my thinking on that: forget those red states. They're too far gone anyway.

All we need is ONE of the swing states. Ohio would have done it for us. Let's focus on keeping the blue states which should be fairly easy and trying to win a swing state with a lot of electorals.

The Bush campaign did just that. They didn't try to win over all the progressive/liberal, forward-thinking states. They just focused on their base and used fear-tactics to get the swing-states. We should do the same (minus the fear-tactics, but with another strategy). Forget about pandering to the South and trying to get a Clinton-esque good-ol-boy type.

I think we can win with someone like Kerry but we have to find our glitch to take just one swing state. That's all it would take!
#7 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama
let's start with insisting on universal electronic voting WITH A PAPER TRAIL
ITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Election Reform

Every state should have the exact same voting booths/technology.

You all know Ohio had the archaic punch card system in place.

Read www.gregpalast.com & www.tompaine.com
#8 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Election reform is KEY. So is removing state run voting. We need continuity.

I don't know that electronics are better than the punch card system. There seems to be more room for error with the electronics.

No way for Hillary in 2008. No way.
#9 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

I agree about election reform but how do we go about doing that?

What can we do to help make that happen?
#10 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 04:12 PM

I just heard a news story last night on NPR that said we needed to allign ourselves on moral issues not just on policy. Not that we have to join the religious right but reframe our positions as for example we think it is wrong to help the rich get richer at the expense of the poor. we think it is wrong that families working full time cannot make a living wage. We think all children deserve and education. I'm not sure that this is the right way to run a campaign. as a thinking person I want to here the messy policy stuff but I'm willing to consider anything.
#11 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 04:16 PM

I dunno about election reform. I mean, the whole process as it stands is so beneficial for the right that they would be reluctant to change it, you know?

I should call my legislator and see about this.
#12 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Absolutely kaismom. I hate that they have taken over the term "Moral Values" and made it their own, as if those of us on the other side somehow have Immoral Values or something :

I love the plan of trying to take back the moral highground (because I do believe that fighting against war, allowing all our citizens basic civil rights, tolerance, helping those less privileged, etc.) is indeed the right and more moral thing to do.

We need to be aggressive and get the message out that it is immoral to be on the side of war, bigotry, racism, and intolerance. We need to turn it around.
#13 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 06:27 PM

Has anyone read "What's the Matter with Kansas?" by Thomas Frank(s)? I saw the author on NOW with Bill Moyers a few months ago, and I was interested in learning more about what he was describing: how the Republican party became the beer-drinking, church-going buddy of southern and rural voters, to the extent that these voters vote against their own economic self-interest. I have not read it, but I think we have to understand the phenoma if we want to change things. For whatever reason, the national Democratic party has come to be viewed as elitist, politically correct intellectuals who support outdated institutions (unions and welfare, for example). I'm not sure how we change this and show voters how the Democratic party can benefit their lives.

But don't give up hope: I remember during the first Bush's presidency, comedians and pundits would ask, "why can't the Democrats nominate a viable candidate?" Then along came Bill Clinton. IMHO, he co-opted many traditionally Republican ideas and turned them on their head (welfare reform, smaller gov't, immigration reform, fiscal discipline), and although I disagree with Clinton's actions on many of these issues, he was effective.

I don't know where I'm going with all of this...I do think that electoral reform is not enough. The Democratic party needs to make itself real and relevant.
#14 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamamama
ITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Election Reform

Every state should have the exact same voting booths/technology.

You all know Ohio had the archaic punch card system in place.

Read www.gregpalast.com & www.tompaine.com
The figure I read is 30% of Ohio still has punch-cards. My county happens to be one of them. I have my doubts about my vote even being counted.

I absolutely agree that electrion reform is key. It should at the very least be uniform within each state.

My fear is that we will be fighting the Governator next time around. How do you beat a superhero?
#15 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 07:06 PM

The first thing would be to stop demeaning the people in the middle and south. These are real people with real lifes. The left looks down upon these people and it insults them. There are racist and sexist but most of the people in the south and middle are good average hard working people. So the first thing is to be friendly to them and not treat them like idiots for voting for someone they like.
#16 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
Absolutely kaismom. I hate that they have taken over the term "Moral Values" and made it their own, as if those of us on the other side somehow have Immoral Values or something :

I love the plan of trying to take back the moral highground (because I do believe that fighting against war, allowing all our citizens basic civil rights, tolerance, helping those less privileged, etc.) is indeed the right and more moral thing to do.

We need to be aggressive and get the message out that it is immoral to be on the side of war, bigotry, racism, and intolerance. We need to turn it around.
Yes. Being liberal or progressive does not equal being immoral, and we need to start getting that message out there!! We need to make it very clear what we stand for - tolerance, respect, the inherent worth and dignity of each person.
#17 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 07:13 PM

calling them good and racist, sexist at the same time is an oxymoron
#18 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 07:23 PM
Banned

Perhaps the left could get rid of their snobbish , elitist attitude that says the rest of us are ignorant and don't understand progress. Maybe they should wake up and realize a majority of the people in this country do not care for their progressive social ideals. Maybe they should could blaming America for all the ills in the rest of the world. Some of us like our country the way it is and see it as a strong, free place to be. We want to keep our guns without someone always try to pass more laws to hinder our ownership. Maybe we're tired of the government sticking its hands in our pockets. Maybe we're tired of being accused of being unkind because we want to use our money how we see fit. We want to give to the charities of our choice , not forced giving. Maybe we are glad to have a president who will protect us without having to ask permission from the UN Maybe we want to stay a soverign nation. Perhaps many of us want to live in a country that values morality, families, hard work, and high expectations.
#19 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 07:25 PM

hey, and the rest of us don't care your conservative ideals, the difference is we are not FORCING you to live by ours, nor are we limiting your rights.
But the conservatives are limiting my rights. Stay out of my marriage, my bedroom and my uterus and I'll stay our of yours!
#20 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Banned

We are supposed to stay out of other peoples lives, yet we are supposed to sit back and be taxed to pay for these choices. None of us are islands. The choices we make effect others.
#21 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 07:33 PM

perhaps many of you aren't answering the OP--you are touting the status quo. Thanks but no thanks. I don't need anyone telling me what to believe. I know what I believe and you can call me elitist, snobbish, liberal all you want. I am not elite, or a snob. I am liberal, and I am smart, and I am proud of my smarts and my ability to think critically.

If that's unfamiliar to you, that means that when the most powerful leader in the country says my country is at risk and we must invade a tiny nation to protect ourselves from WMDs, and we do, and there are no WMDs--I am indignant that he was wrong OR he was lying. Neither is acceptable to me.

IT'S UNACCEPTABLE TO ME.

As to the OP-I have no ideas today, but you can bet your sweet bippy I will be active as hell in the next four years. Because I think many of us in the blue states ARE smarter. And we will take back our country.
#22 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 07:34 PM

Honestly, Arduinna, use your ignore function. It makes all those crazy posts seem so much more...well, more peaceful.
#23 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 07:36 PM
Banned

Ignoring the right has got the democrats where they are. We have a republican president and we picked up seats in the house and senate.
#24 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I saw two pundits on a morning show and they said it best.

The left thinks they are intellectually superior to the conservatives.
And the Right thinks they are morally superior to the liberals.

probably accurate.

did anyone see charlie rose last night?

My husband watched it and he told me there were two writers (from newsweek, maybe both, I don't know) anyway
One was with the kerry camp from the minute he annouced he was running for president. the other was with Bush. They were with the teams for the entire time. The only prerequiste for that unlimited time and access with the teams was that they could not write anything until the election was over.

The kerry writer said that the Kerry campaign was a total mess completely collapsing all the time, complete inner fightings, marginalizing others.. just a mess. He was not shocked that the election turned out the way it turned out.

in 2008 we need a war machine that will have none of that.

and I see no hope with Hilary in 2008. The middle of the country hates her. She's not the right way to go imo.

Is there a democratic southern governor..anywhere?

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#25 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer895
The first thing would be to stop demeaning the people in the middle and south. These are real people with real lifes. The left looks down upon these people and it insults them. There are racist and sexist but most of the people in the south and middle are good average hard working people. So the first thing is to be friendly to them and not treat them like idiots for voting for someone they like.
Sure, there are good people in the south, as anywhere. But, it is also the case that the southern realignment with the republican party began in the mid 60s as a response to the civil rights and voting rights acts. So the appeal of the Republican party has always been in part about race. That realignment is complete now. The only reason it has taken so long is the power of incumbency. Racial issues are still being used in the south as a way to gain Republican votes (remember the push polling in SC in 1999, where Republican operatives suggested John McCain had a "bi-racial" child as a way to help W win the SC primary?). To deny the racism in the south is to ignore the real history of southern politics (and yes I do recognize racism elsewhere, but race has a particular salince in southern politics)

As for what democrats can do, I think we need our own Fox news. The Repblican party essentially owns a network. That is how they can so effectively drum misperceptions into the heads of voters. Bush can only repeat Iraq/Bin Laden Iraq/Bin Laden so many times. It is the repetition of that message on talk radio and fox news that turns radical ideas into everday assumptions. Democratic leaders can reframe the debate all they want, but until they find a way to popularize the message it won't work.
#26 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 07:48 PM

A fun fact on the "moral values" thing... guess which state has the lowest divorce rate? Mass-a-freakin-chusetts!! Overall, the northeast and midwest states have much lower divorce rates than the so-called Bible Belt. Here's a good column on that issue: Walking the Walk on Family Values

IMO, it's high time that Democrats started chipping away at this pervasive myth that we are all godless, morally-bankrupt elitists, because it just ain't so.

As a writer in Salon put it:

Quote:
To pretend that the Democrats are a bunch of effete, latte-drinking elitists who don't know how to connect with the "heartland" is not only hooey, but mindless, lazy, recycled hooey.

There is a name for the people the pundits describe -- and that name is "Nader voter." Democrats, by now, loathe these people even more than the folks in Idaho do. They're the overprivileged, Woodstock-era, insufferably smug liberals who think all the world's a poli-sci class and who'd rather be "right" than win. Especially since they're not the ones to feel the pain if the other guy wins. They cost Gore the White House in 2000, and the truly hardcore ones stuck to their "principles" even this year. They're repulsive. They're to be loathed and mocked to the skies. And they're not the people who were out there working day in and day out for John Kerry.
I agree with pepper and kaismom: We have to start framing our arguments in terms of values and morality. Kerry/Edwards did a little of this, but it's has to become a unified and unifying message. Here's another good column, this one from Jim Wallis at Sojourners:

Quote:
We've now begun a real debate in this country over what the most important "religious issues" are in politics, and that discussion will continue far beyond this election. The Religious Right fought to keep the focus on gay marriage and abortion and even said that good Christians and Jews could only vote for the president. But many moderate and progressive Christians disagreed. We insisted that poverty is also a religious issue, pointing to thousands of verses in the Bible on the poor. The environment - protection of God's creation - is also one of our religious concerns. And millions of Christians in America believe the war in Iraq was not a "just war."
#27 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 07:54 PM

sleeping queen - are you posting here to be helpful to the dems are insulting?

tracy -

i do think the dem party has to show that not agreeing w/the war IS taking the moral high road as well as other dem "liberal" issues that uphold high moral values.

anybody here love barack obama???

#28 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 08:00 PM

jeyer - thanks for the links. you've enlightened me. i like their ideas about redefining the portrait of democratic america. in some case it's as simple as framing the values we already have in their own words.

#29 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeping queen
We are supposed to stay out of other peoples lives, yet we are supposed to sit back and be taxed to pay for these choices. None of us are islands. The choices we make effect others.
Let's agree not to use your tax dollars to pay for choices you don't agree with, and not use my tax dollars to pay for choices I don't agree with.

Whew! My taxes just lightened up considerably, now that I don't have to pay for that money-sucking miserable excuse for a war in Iraq! And hey, you won't mind paying more in taxes to compensate, because you believe that an entire neighborhood of blown-apart, lifeless, bloody Iraqi people are worth the life of one American soldier!

Get out of our thread. Pretty please, with a cherry on top.
#30 of 122 Old 11-04-2004, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy
And the Right thinks they are morally superior to the liberals.

probably accurate.
I beg your pardon.

Er, upon rereading, I guess you meant the right thinks it is superior morally. Not that it actually is.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page