Mothering Forum banner

25 years ago today...

403 views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  tara 
#1 ·
Mt. Saint Helens erupted. Are you old enough to remember it?

#6 ·
I'm not- I wasn't even born yet! I was born in 1982 two years after the eruption- but my parents were definitely old enough! My mom said she stood and looked out of her apartment window in Bellingham after she heard the bang and saw the smoke and everything! She remembers it very clearly since her and my father were just married in 1979 and had moved the Bellingham recently. I still live in Washington, but I've never been to see Mt. St. Helens, not ever! I guess I should go.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by shelbean91
Yep- My grandparents visited the area not long after and bought a little tube of souvenir ash.
my dad brought a cube back from a business trip. dd plays with it now and at first she was afraid it would erupt if it broke open :LOL

anyone read about people suing over family being killed in the eruption. One person was claiming their family member was 3miles outside of the "red zone". I'm assuming some sort of danger zone.

#9 ·
I was 12. My gradmother was visiting us at the time. I remember the lead-up to the eruption -- trying to get old Harry Truman to leave. I remember the ashes falling like snow -- what it smelled like, felt like, looked like on the sidewalk. I remember the shock of the first view of the mountain after the ashes cleared.

#14 ·
I remember it very well, watching the mushroom. Ash got everywhere and it suprised me how far it landed. I was saddened to see that a few people knew that it was about to blow and went camping there anyway. I remember a gal that worked at my school and her ex husband insisted on taking his two kids up there. All 3 of them died
That poor mother. I also remember an elderly person refusing to come down off the mountain because he lived there all his life and could not give it up.

I remember watching the reporter that had his camera turned on..and he was running from the lava with the camera over his shoulder. I believe he lived but it was really interesting to see it live. I kept thinking (i was a child then), how stupid he was haha and that he should dump his camera and just run run run.

It was a sad day, but people were warned.

Sherra

#15 ·
I wanted to add that my sister visited Portland, OR a year later and sent me a postcard with the volcanic plume of smoke in the background...

It looked like Portland was being nuked.

I remember the man named Harry Truman who refused to leave. He died.

I understand that there are still rumblings going on even now.

#16 ·
I was 11 years old, living in Cd'A, ID (which is a 6 hour drive from the mountain, but directly in the ash path). I remember the streetlights coming on at 2 p.m. because the skies were so dark from ash. I remember ash falling like snow, and everybody freaking out about it (Will it hurt our lungs? Will it hurt our skin? Will it ruin the paint on the car? The air filter?). The snow plows made huge piles of ash. It was cool.

We stayed home from school for a week and then went back, wearing little white masks when we walked to school.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.