Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! Just Wow!
#3 of 9 Old 06-01-2005, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This happens all of the time.

Most people don't even seem to realize that English is the de facto language of the United States, and not de jure. And it is my belief that the U.S. was set up that way for a reason.

Edited to add- and it amazes me all of the time how people who have NO knowledge of language development, just yell- "Learn to speak English! Our ancestors did!" It is very frequently NOT that simple to learn the language. it depends on a number of factors. AND many past immigrants DIDN'T learn to speak English, or could not speak it well. Thier children learned, and translated, or friends and family helped out. Over time, many picked up enough to get by in day to day interactions, but were no where close to "native" speaker mastery.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#4 of 9 Old 06-01-2005, 02:53 PM

this is absurd.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#5 of 9 Old 06-01-2005, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Now, the Pattersons say, Linda is flourishing in school and is fluent in English. To send her back to a non-English speaking household would set her back, they say.
:

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#6 of 9 Old 06-01-2005, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder
:

:

But even more:

Quote:
Hardy Turner, whose two daughters are friends with the girl, said Linda believes the Pattersons are her family. ``She's had a taste of love and she doesn't want to go back,'' Turner said.
How offensive on so many levels.

#7 of 9 Old 06-01-2005, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2
How offensive on so many levels.
Well, maybe. But we hardly have the whole story. It could be that things were actually pretty bad for this little girl.

The comments about language, though, are way out of line. And the way that cultural differences affect perception - specifically that bit about the mother giving her over to other family as being normal in their culture as opposed to negative in ours - is very enlightening. I wonder how often this sort of difference gets overlooked? My guess is quite a bit.

ETA: About the statement that Breathless Wonder quoted above - I can easily see the family saying that the little girl is flourishing and because of that, sending her back to her old environment would be a step in the wrong direction. Then, the reporter, who is focused on the language issue (as evidenced by the rest of the article), interprets this as meaning the foster parents think that the fact that the household is a non-English-speaking one is the problem. When, in fact, that might not have been their point at all.
#8 of 9 Old 06-02-2005, 06:59 PM

I think we are hearing a one sided story. But, wow!

Jenn
sweetst lil babe
#9 of 9 Old 06-02-2005, 08:59 PM

What is so scary about this story to me is how much it reminds me of the dominant society's treatment of so many native peoples over time. My dh & I watched a really good movie that we rented a few weeks ago called Rabbit Proof Fence; it was about how the Australian govt removed mixed race aboriginal children from their native parents' homes and tried to train & breed the aboriginal or "inferior" race & culture out of them.

This seems so much like that and what we did in the US to Native American children in the past. Perhaps the little girl does think that the home she is in now is better, but someone gave her that idea that her native culture was inferior. And, someone is trying to make that native culture not be her culture anymore because, of course, the school knows what is best for her before her family does .

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page