Government Diverts Money For Sex Drugs To Hurricane Relief - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-08-2005, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/i...16/detail.html

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- The House has voted to divert federal funds covering erectile dysfunction drugs to hurricane relief.
Um, I am not sure what to think. I didn't know they paid for that!

So, I think the hurricane victims have much bigger problems than erectile dysfunction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2005, 04:45 AM

Seems it still has to get past congress...

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 10-08-2005, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
would save $690 million over five years by prohibiting Medicare and Medicaid health care programs from subsidizing prescriptions for sexual performance drugs.
If anyone has a husband, son, or any male they love who also has diabetes will understand my anger. The ED drugs are not just for getting a penis erect, but are needed for their bodies to utilize other medications needed to keep them alive.
But hey, save billions, kill a few thousand men.

A lot of the so-called 'sex drugs' are used for many other reasons besides just erectile dysfunction. It's too bad the pres is too stupid to know that.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies
If anyone has a husband, son, or any male they love who also has diabetes will understand my anger. The ED drugs are not just for getting a penis erect, but are needed for their bodies to utilize other medications needed to keep them alive.
But hey, save billions, kill a few thousand men.

A lot of the so-called 'sex drugs' are used for many other reasons besides just erectile dysfunction. It's too bad the pres is too stupid to know that.
That is different. If it is used for a condition other than erectile dysfunction then it is still covered.

When my Dr perscribed Wellbutrin they had to go back and forth with my insurance company because it is also used for smoking cessation. It isn't covered by my ins for smoking cessation but it is as a anti-depressant.

Old 10-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy
That is different. If it is used for a condition other than erectile dysfunction then it is still covered.

When my Dr perscribed Wellbutrin they had to go back and forth with my insurance company because it is also used for smoking cessation. It isn't covered by my ins for smoking cessation but it is as a anti-depressant.
Yes, but the average male and average doctor is not going to know that. Even when you call the 1-800 number on the back of the medical assistance card, they hardly know what you are talking about.

Why not pull the troops from Iraq and pay them to rebuild NOLA and other places? Yeah, I know. It won't be as pretty, might even look like an army fort. :LOL
Old 10-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Banned

Also, grandpa won't be able to get it on with grandma and then you're going to be sorry when we have all sorts of elders in the streets protesting.
That would be a cool thing to see, though. :LOL
Old 10-08-2005, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Also, grandpa won't be able to get it on with grandma and then you're going to be sorry when we have all sorts of elders in the streets protesting.
That would be a cool thing to see, though. :LOL
So, umm you think grandma and grandpa getting it on is more important than people displaced by the huricane?

Not to long ago you were railing against the goverment for not helping these people, now you are upset when they want to cut the "fat" from the budget so they can help them. Is ther anything that would make you happy?
Old 10-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT
So, umm you think grandma and grandpa getting it on is more important than people displaced by the huricane?

Not to long ago you were railing against the goverment for not helping these people, now you are upset when they want to cut the "fat" from the budget so they can help them. Is ther anything that would make you happy?
They want to take money away from medicare/medicaid. You don't see what is wrong with that picture?
Old 10-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Banned

You wouldn't, so I'll spell it out.

PUNISH THE POOR TO HELP THE POOR.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:13 PM

They want to take away money that is being spent on frivolities. It is not essential from grandma and grandpa to get it on. I don't think they should be paying for these drugs anyway. No where are we guarenteed the right to "get it on" by the use of artificial drugs and I don't think my tax dollars should be spent on this in the first place.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
They want to take away money that is being spent on frivolities. It is not essential from grandma and grandpa to get it on. I don't think they should be paying for these drugs anyway. No where are we guarenteed the right to "get it on" by the use of artificial drugs and I don't think my tax dollars should be spent on this in the first place.
Really? These drugs are not just for sexual dysfunction.
I would rather my tax money be spent on our elders being able to have a healthy sexual relationship, rather than killing human beings.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:00 PM

I believe that it has already been pointed out to you that people who need these out of medical necessity can still get them.

And as you well know, neither you nor I have a choice on what the government spends money on. So since GWB doesn't care what the public thinks and plans on "staying the course" it is better that unnecessary programs get cut in order to help the people from Katrina than cutting more important programs such as health care for children.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
The bill's sponsor says the government would save 690 (m) million over five years by prohibiting Medicare and Medicaid health care programs from subsidizing prescriptions for sexual performance drugs.
Quote:
The money will be used to provide 500 (m) million dollars in federal unemployment funds
So, first they cut abortion, now erections, and they are working on a bill to make it illegal to have a child out-of-wedlock. hmmm....Does anyone else think they are saying that people living in poverty shouldn't reproduce?
My honey and I are not legally married because we can barely afford to put food on the table, let alone pay a babysitter to take the required classes, which also cost money, and the marriage license, etc. :
Old 10-08-2005, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Um,what required classes?
Old 10-08-2005, 10:48 PM

Quote:
So, first they cut abortion, now erections, and they are working on a bill to make it illegal to have a child out-of-wedlock. hmmm....Does anyone else think they are saying that people living in poverty shouldn't reproduce?
My honey and I are not legally married because we can barely afford to put food on the table, let alone pay a babysitter to take the required classes, which also cost money, and the marriage license, etc. :
What are you talking about? What classes.

BTW, that bill does NOT make it illegal to have a child out of wedlock. It makes it illegal to have invetro out of wedlock. Not that I think that is right etiher, but there is a HUGE difference. I don't beleive that bill will pass. It smacks of civil rights violations.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama
Um,what required classes?
Here in MN you have to take marriage classes before you can get married.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, but the average male and average doctor is not going to know that. Even when you call the 1-800 number on the back of the medical assistance card, they hardly know what you are talking about.
The **perscribing** Dr is the one that would discuss it with the ins company. Drs use meds all the time that have multiple uses..ins companies know that. It just requires some notes between the two and everything is fine.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:04 PM

I thought tayndrewsmama lived in the same state as you. If she does, why wouldn't she know what these classes are?
Old 10-08-2005, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Really? These drugs are not just for sexual dysfunction.
Drs can discuss such issues with ins companies, in such instances the ins company just requires info from the Dr who wrote the script. They don't just arbitrarily deny such things.
Quote:
I would rather my tax money be spent on our elders being able to have a healthy sexual relationship, rather than killing human beings.
This isn't going to killing people.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Yes. There is a waiver of marriage license fees to couples who do a 12 hour premarital education course. The course must use a ppremarital inventory, teaching about communication skills, and conflict management skills. According to the Minnesota Statute, "The premarital education must be provided by a licensed or ordained minister or the minister's designee, a person authorized to solemnize marriages under section 517.18, or a person authorized to practice marriageand family therapy under section 148B.33.

http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriag.../minnesota.htm

The classes are in place of the fee. You don't have to do both.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:11 PM

Quote:
from: http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriag.../minnesota.htm

Fees:
$100 for those who don't provide written proof of premarital education. $30 for those who do take an authorized premarital education course that has a minimum of 12 hours. Be prepared to pay in cash.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:31 PM
Banned

2003 census
TANF $17.4 billion
AFDC $30.4 million
Child Support Enforcement $2.9 billion
Medical Assistance $167.8 billion
Transportation $36 billion
Food Stamps $21.4 billion
National School Lunch Program $7 billion
Special Education $8.8 billion
Rehab Services $2.5 billion

Government Expenditure
Salaries and Wages $210.7 billion
Procurement Contracts $327.4 billion
Retirement and Disability $636.2 billion
Other $446.1 billion
Old 10-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
This isn't going to killing people.

I am saying I would rather my tax moneys be spent on ED drugs for poor people, than have my tax money used to fund the wars that kill people or to fund the building of bombs that are used to kill people.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I am saying I would rather my tax moneys be spent on ED drugs for poor people, than have my tax money used to fund the wars that kill people or to fund the building of bombs that are used to kill people.
And, to round it back to the start, I would rather my tax moneys be spent on hurricane relief for poor people than ED drugs for poor people. What the heck do marriage classes have to do with it?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 10-08-2005, 11:43 PM

Quote:

Will you read the OP's article!!!!! PLEASE!!!! Or even the OP would be nice.

Old 10-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Will you read the OP's article!!!!! PLEASE!!!! Or even the OP would be nice.
I did read the article. It said it is diverting funds from medicaid and medicare to give a measly amount of money into unemployment.
Again, punishing the poor for the poor.

What is it you don't understand?
Why are you okay with this?
Old 10-09-2005, 12:04 AM

Quote:
I did read the article. It said it is diverting funds from medicaid and medicare to give a measly amount of money into unemployment.
Again, punishing the poor for the poor.

What is it you don't understand?
Why are you okay with this?
Now where..exactly...did it say anything about the money going to building bombs or "killing people"?

Old 10-09-2005, 12:05 AM

You left out a few pertinent details. It is taking money away from Medicare and Medicaid for the use of ED DRUGS ONLY!! This money will provide unemployment benefits to the people who have been displaced and lost their jobs due to hurricanes.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Now where..exactly...did it say anything about the money going to building bombs or "killing people"?
Do you understand that tax money is used for America's defense funds? Do you understand that tax money is used for Medicaid and Medicare?
Old 10-09-2005, 12:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
You left out a few pertinent details. It is taking money away from Medicare and Medicaid for the use of ED DRUGS ONLY!! This money will provide unemployment benefits to the people who have been displaced and lost their jobs due to hurricanes.
WHY IS THAT OKAY?????

Why not take the money from the $446 BILLION dollars spent on who knows what?

Why take needed money from the poor to help the poor?

Oh, so, poor people are not allowed to have healthy sexual relationships?!?!?

User Tag List