Gulf Coast Slaves - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-15-2005, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Halliburton and its subcontractors hired hundreds of undocumented Latino workers to clean up after Katrina - only to mistreat them and throw them out without pay.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/111505A.shtml
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-15-2005, 09:52 PM

I just don't know what to say....There is just so much going on right now that fills me with so much rage, it leaves me practically speechless.

Am I the only one? I worry so much about all of the power that these big companies have. The level of greed just astounds me. Why aren't these stories the first thing we hear on the news in the morning? Aren't these the stories we should care about? We are ALL going to be effected (if we haven't been already) even if we aren't "invisible" illegal aliens. It has already happened for my white, midwest, Christian, conservative, middle-class parents: Two weeks ago, my father got a letter in the mail that informed him that his health insurance would be discontinued as of January 1st. My father retired about 12 years ago from Inland Steel and his retirement package/contract included health insurance. With the recent purchase of Inland by another company, and with the blessings of our legal system, the new owners apparently do not have to honor those obligations. All retirees from Inland Steel no longer will have health insurance as of January 1st. MY PARENTS ARE 68 YEARS OLD AND MY MOTHER HAS ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE!!!!!!!! Everyone can be a victim now. It doesn't matter if you were born in this country or not, if you have worked your whole life and paid taxes and done everything right. I know this might appear off-topic to some and I know it is a rant. But I just feel like I can't take anymore of this "corporation-as-god" bullshit!

What is happening in this nation is an outrage! When is the revolution????!!!!!!!!!!!
#3 of 7 Old 11-15-2005, 10:13 PM

Why aren't Federal Marshals leading those responsible away in chains?

"To lose the sense of sacredness of the world is a mortal loss. To injure our world by excesses of greed and ingenuity is to endanger our own sacredness."    Ursula K. Le Guin
#4 of 7 Old 11-15-2005, 10:14 PM

Quote:
What is happening in this nation is an outrage! When is the revolution????!!!!!!!!!!!
Screw the revolution, we've got NASCAR... :
#5 of 7 Old 11-15-2005, 10:49 PM

I'm also disgusted with ordinary citizens who hire Latinos and pay them well below what a white person would make. My husband always paid them good wages to work on our house, but he knew plenty of people who didn't-Even people who were millionaires and could easily afford to pay them well.
#6 of 7 Old 11-15-2005, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary Briss
Screw the revolution, we've got NASCAR... :
And Beer and Jennifer Lopez's behind.
#7 of 7 Old 11-16-2005, 02:37 AM

It was a rhetorical question.

"To lose the sense of sacredness of the world is a mortal loss. To injure our world by excesses of greed and ingenuity is to endanger our own sacredness."    Ursula K. Le Guin

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page