Mother charged with first degree murder after using 'Pearl' discipline techniques. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2006, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Snippets from a few different news articles.
Quote:
The Johnston County District Attorney went before a grand jury Monday and was granted a first degree murder indictment against Lynn Paddock.

Paddock is the adopted mother of four-year-old Sean Paddock. Emergency crews found Sean dead at his home back in February. Medical examiners say he was wrapped so tightly in blankets that he suffocated.

A report released earlier this month said Lynn Paddock was disciplining Sean when he died.

She originally had been charged with second-degree murder, but
District Attorney Tom Lock said he asked the grand jury to indict
Paddock on first-degree charges. Lock said the abusive nature of the death was "so extreme" that it crossed into torture.
http://rdu.news14.com/content/headli...=81731&SecID=2

Quote:
Lynn Paddock is charged with first-degree murder in the death of her adopted son, Sean, last month. Investigators say the 4-year-old boy suffocated after he was tied tightly with blankets inside the Paddocks' rural Johnston County home. They also say Sean and his brother and sister were beaten repeatedly with PVC plumbing pipe, leaving one of the kids limping.

There are reports that Lynn Paddock searched the Web for advice on discipline. She reportedly logged onto a Web site called nogreaterjoy.org. Run by an evangelical minister and his wife, the site advocates following the Biblical proverb teaching that sparing the rod spoils the child.

The site dedicates an entire section to "the rod" and suggests parents use "a quarter-inch plumber's supply line as a spanking instrument." The site even teaches technique: A swift swat with a light, flexible instrument will sting without bruising or causing internal damage.

The Web site reads, "The rod is an indispensable aid that will prepare him to make proper decisions when he is older."
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=3999826

Quote:
Paddock ordered Michael and Debi Pearl's books and started spanking her adopted children as suggested. After Sean, the youngest of Paddock's six adopted children, died last month, his older sister and brother told investigators about Paddock's spankings.

Sean's 9-year-old brother was beaten so badly he limped, a prosecutor said. Bruises marred Sean's backside, too, doctors found.

Sean died after being wrapped so tightly in blankets he suffocated. That, too, was a form of punishment, Johnston County Sheriff Steve Bizzell said.

The Pearls' advice from their Web site: A swift whack with the plastic tubing would sting but not bruise. Give 10 licks at a time, more if the child resists. Be careful about using it in front of others -- even at church; nosy neighbors might call social workers. Save hands for nurturing, not disciplining. Heed the warning, taken from Proverbs in the Old Testament, that sparing the rod will spoil the child.

Paddock and other moms in her rural Baptist church chatted about the Pearls' strategies for rearing obedient children, Reece said.

"I think she was trying to do the right thing by her children," he said.

Paddock, 45, faces a possible lifetime behind bars or execution if convicted of causing Sean's death.

Paddock seems to have carefully followed the Pearls' teachings. Investigators found 2-foot lengths of plumbing supply line in several rooms of her remote farmhouse.

The Pearls offer shopping advice on their Web site, www.nogreaterjoy.org: "You can buy them for under $1.00 at Home Depot or any hardware store. They come cheaper by the dozen and can be widely distributed in every room and vehicle. Just the high profile of their accessibility will keep the kids in line."

The Pearls' first book, "To Train Up a Child," has sold more than 400,000 copies since it was published in 1994, according to Mel Cohen, general manager of the Pearls' business, No Greater Joy Ministries. After the book came out, so many readers wrote in with questions that the Pearls started a newsletter. Every two months, Cohen said, the Pleasantville, Tenn.-based ministry mails more than 60,000 newsletters to parents around the world.

The Pearls declined to be interviewed. "They feel the material speaks for itself," Cohen said.

Christian evangelicals who, like the Pearls, teach the importance of corporal punishment have loyal followers. The results are tangible, said Dot Ehlers, executive director of a Smithfield nonprofit who teaches parenting skills to mothers and fathers referred to them by the Johnston County Department of Social Services. She said about a quarter of the 60 parents she instructs each week say their faith defends and encourages corporal punishment.

The Pearls' techniques helped Sandy Hicks, a mother in Texas who said she was desperate to restore peace in her home.

"Some people would rather spend an hour reasoning with a defiant 5-year-old instead of requiring the kid to behave and giving him a swat if he doesn't," said Hicks, who said she has used a peach-tree switch to spank her four children. "Some people are just queasy about swatting their kids."

The Pearls' teachings helped mobilize another group of Christian parents to speak out against such corporal punishment. The Web site Stoptherod.net rails against the Pearls' first book; the Web site's founders, Susan and Steve Lawrence of Virginia, say the book "reads like a child abuse manual." The Web site encourages parents to post critical reviews of the book on Amazon.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2006, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So sad for the little boy, but I'm glad the mother is being charged with murder. Maybe, just maybe this will help make other spanking parents aware of the dangers and the alternatives?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 03-21-2006, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am so heartbroken about this little boy. I truly hope something good comes out of this. I hope the Pearls become a household name synonymous with child abuse and murder. I hope this pulls their dirty little tactics out of the closet and that every Christian can take a stand and name it for the evil twisting of Scripture it is.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to see if DH can work it into a sermon.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 03-21-2006, 02:06 AM

That is just sick. And so sad for that poor baby.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
I hope the Pearls become a household name synonymous with child abuse and murder.

I hope so too. What a sad story. So tragic.
I would love to see a "Sean's Law" that absolutely outlaws any form of corporal punishment and funnels money into family outreach and support services.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:44 AM

Quote:
I hope the Pearls become a household name synonymous with child abuse and murder. I hope this pulls their dirty little tactics out of the closet and that every Christian can take a stand and name it for the evil twisting of Scripture it is.
:

And I also hope this will open the eyes of some parents, some even here on MDC.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Ditto to everyone. It's so heartbreaking that this little boy died because of the Pearls. The responsibility of his death partly lies on their shoulders.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:58 AM

This kind of thing makes me sick to my stomach. I couldn't really read it, but I got the gist. Horrible.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPentor
This kind of thing makes me sick to my stomach. I couldn't really read it, but I got the gist. Horrible.
Same here.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:53 PM

A friend of mine lent me that book, and I've browsed it just to see what they're doing to their kids. It's actually shoved under my bed at the moment. I know that they don't discipline to the degree that the woman did. BUT, doesn't mean I'll be using the method. Maybe I should call her and ask what she thinks about the book since she's using it. Yes, I am a Christian and understand where they're coming from, but after being abused by my mother who took the Pearl ideas to a new level, I will not be doing the same.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 03-21-2006, 03:26 PM

This is so sad. And it really bothers me to think how many other parents are out there, reading this and other similar books.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
Old 03-21-2006, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I am so heartbroken about this little boy. I truly hope something good comes out of this. I hope the Pearls become a household name synonymous with child abuse and murder. I hope this pulls their dirty little tactics out of the closet and that every Christian can take a stand and name it for the evil twisting of Scripture it is.
:

Old 03-21-2006, 04:00 PM

I'm appalled that even AFTER at least one child has died from the Pearls recommeded forms of discipline that people were interview supporting it!

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Banned

I want to see the law change so that people who actively advocate for child abuse are held accountable for their disgusting deeds.

The Pearls are absolutely the worst of the worst.

DB
Old 03-21-2006, 04:32 PM

I agree can't their "works" be construed as inciting to violence against children? ESPECIALLY since they tell you how to avoid detection by CPS.

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Banned

Especially when they write about beating other people's babies.

db
Old 03-21-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraBaker
Especially when they write about beating other people's babies.

db

You are *kidding* me. OMG, the whole scene is awful. But that's just especially heartbreaking - allowing someone else to abuse your kids.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 03-21-2006, 05:11 PM

I just hope the Pearls get what's coming to them, either in this life or the next. I sincerely believe in karma.
for that poor little lost, abused soul. May little Sean rest in peace now.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:23 PM

I believe it was only a matter of time before something like this happened and I seriously doubt it will be the last.

banana.gif

Old 03-21-2006, 06:35 PM

You just know that this kind of child 'training' is going to result in an escalation of violence. That's what makes corporal punishment ineffective. The need for the switch becomes more frequent to keep the child 'obedient' and pretty soon the little switch isn't enough anymore. I don't think it results in death most of the time, as it would seem that this mother knew what she was doing. I am very sad to think of all the children who are not in the news, who suffer the abuse and violence with no one to help them.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraBaker
I want to see the law change so that people who actively advocate for child abuse are held accountable for their disgusting deeds.
I agree. Those poor children.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:27 PM

WOW. That's just insane. So horrifyingly unnecessary. The Pearl's methods are not only abusive, they are criminal IMO. Karma.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:19 PM

I don't have the financial means at this time to do this, but I have an idea. If you are interested in advocating against the Pearl's abusive technique, PM me ASAP. It's a rather simple idea actually and has the potential to reach quite a lot of people......

DC
Old 03-22-2006, 01:58 PM

I have emailed the Pearls so many nasty emails about their methods. I just do not bother anymore because I am on the verge of being down right insulting to them. They wouldn't care anyway......
I just hope they get arrested! This is soooo maddening!
Old 03-22-2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepsqueak
I have emailed the Pearls so many nasty emails about their methods. I just do not bother anymore because I am on the verge of being down right insulting to them. They wouldn't care anyway......
I just hope they get arrested! This is soooo maddening!
Check your PM's PS.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:13 PM

Ok, here is my idea....The Pearl's have a website right? And with that website they are able to reach a whole lot of people. They are able to sell their disgusting books easily. So, I went to godaddy.com and looked up two domain names for websites that could be set up as an anti-Pearl. One could link articles etc and have people make comments on them...whatever. The sky is the limit. I came up with www.stopnogreaterjoy.com and www.stopnogreaterjoy.org as domain name possibilities and as of right now they are BOTH still available! So if someone were to register both of them and then set up simple websites using a cheap host provider, they could effectively speak out against their techniques.
Domain registration is relatively inexpensive...about 7 bucks a year....a host provider would be about 7 bucks a year also. I have a good host provider recommendation for someone if you need one. Let me know BEFORE you register the domain names and I will give you a tip or two on privacy issues etc.

DC
Old 03-22-2006, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannon99
A friend of mine lent me that book, and I've browsed it just to see what they're doing to their kids. It's actually shoved under my bed at the moment. I know that they don't discipline to the degree that the woman did. BUT, doesn't mean I'll be using the method. Maybe I should call her and ask what she thinks about the book since she's using it. Yes, I am a Christian and understand where they're coming from, but after being abused by my mother who took the Pearl ideas to a new level, I will not be doing the same.
burn your copy.
confront your friend.

User Tag List