Bird Flu person to person? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060524/...ltBHNlYwM3MTY-

Hopefully this is just a cluster case......

I have been to Sumatra. They had the tsunami and now may be the genesis of the first person to person transmission.....I really am worried.

Quote:
"This is the first time that we've been completely stumped" by a source for the infection, he said.

Six of the seven people in an extended family in northern Sumatra who caught the disease have died, the most recent on Monday. WHO is investigating whether the H5N1 strain of bird flu was spread among family members, though it said Wednesday there was no evidence the virus had mutated to a form that will spread more easily between humans, possibly sparking a pandemic.

Steven Bjorge, the WHO team leader in the village of Kubu Sembelang, said none of the poultry in the area had tested positive for the H5N1 bird flu virus.

"We're not surprised that there is possible human-to-human transmission," Bjorge said. "The thing we're looking for is whether it's sustained beyond the immediate cluster."

Isolated cases of very limited human-to-human transmission have been documented — including one in Thailand involving a mother and child — but such cases do not mean a pandemic flu strain has emerged. There was no indication the Sumatra infections had spread to anyone outside the family.
#2 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Banned

Six out of seven died... that is very scary. What kind of health care do you think the area has? I'm know nothing about the area, so I am wondering if the deaths were assisted by poor nutrition, sanitation, healthcare or if the virus is just that deadly. I didn't think the previous cases had such high fatalities, but I haven't been following that closely.
#3 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 12:07 PM

i have made a decision to completely ignore birdflu and concentrate all of my obsessive fear and worry about global warming, peak oil, and warfare.
#4 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
i have made a decision to completely ignore birdflu and concentrate all of my obsessive fear and worry about global warming, peak oil, and warfare.
I had that attitude and I can understand it but this scares the crap out of me......

The other thing that always scares me is when so many government "experts" go on the nightly news and say that even if it does make the jump from person to person it will be far in the future....(LIES)....

The more our government assures us the more I worry............KWIM?
#5 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 12:20 PM

I don't believe this story. This is BigPharma's psyops into getting the masses afraid of 'Bird Flu' again.
#6 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Banned

I kind of feel that we are overdue for something. We are overcrowding our planet and screwing with genetics, peoples immune systems, making biological warfare weapons etc. Something has to break sooner or later. With the world shrunk (in a manner of speaking ) by air travel and global trade any illness with a high rate of communicablility can be a threat.

I am not buying that a flu shot or anything they come up with short term is going to "save" anyone.
#7 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinsmama
I kind of feel that we are overdue for something. We are overcrowding our planet and screwing with genetics, peoples immune systems, making biological warfare weapons etc. Something has to break sooner or later. With the world shrunk (in a manner of speaking ) by air travel and global trade any illness with a high rate of communicablility can be a threat.

I am not buying that a flu shot or anything they come up with short term is going to "save" anyone.
I don't think we are overcrowding our planet at all. But I do agree with the rest of your concerns.

And Marg, I hear you. But I want to encourage you to have a herbal and homeopathic medicine cabinet and keep your own immune system running optimally with food and nutrition that is void of toxins and carcinogens (sp?).
#8 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marg of Arabia

They... may be the genesis of the first person to person transmission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Isolated cases of very limited human-to-human transmission have been documented — including one in Thailand involving a mother and child.
Contradiction.

Quote:
there is also "no evidence that efficient human-to-human transmission has occurred."

Laboratory testing has completed full genetic sequencing of two viruses isolated from cases in this cluster. That has found "no evidence of genetic reassortment with human or pig influenza viruses and no evidence of significant mutations," WHO said.
#9 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmamacita
I don't think we are overcrowding our planet at all.

really???? you think the planet has enough resources and space for an infinite amount of humans, knowing the carnage of destruction we leave in our wake?
#10 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 12:56 PM

No, I wouldn't quite put it like that mama g. Its far much more complex, imo, than that and honestly, I don't buy that we are at risk of over-populating the world and that there is some sort of natural disaster every now and then that remedies said evil of over-population.

I think the fear ofover-population line of thinking could/would allow goverments and health organizations to have rights over human life that they should NOT have. I remember hearing a WHO talk about it ten years ago and 1) it made no sense to me and 2) it seemed like a fear tactic to me. From what I have read since then, I still tend to disagree that THAT is where the threats lie. BUt that's my take on it.
#11 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 12:59 PM

but we are running out of clean water, and fish, and land and oil, just to name a few. surely, at least voluntarily limiting population growth makes sense?
#12 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

I agree with your shrug, DaryLLL! I am lost......

I am very worried. Look how Katrina was handled....I can only imagine what this could be like.....

hotmamacita,

Thanks for the advice. Somehow having children with little or no vacs makes me feel better about their immune systems and their chances of fighting it off. But, I just keep thinking there is a lot more to this than any of us know....(I know I am paranoid.........)
#13 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 01:03 PM

Well, to some it does make sense. But to me? I'd rather see corporations held accountable for their ill deeds and misuse of the environment and our natural resources PROTECTED by our government and health organizations. But there is no money in THAT.
#14 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marg of Arabia
I agree with your shrug, DaryLLL! I am lost......

I am very worried. Look how Katrina was handled....I can only imagine what this could be like.....

hotmamacita,

Thanks for the advice. Somehow having children with little or no vacs makes me feel better about their immune systems and their chances of fighting it off. But, I just keep thinking there is a lot more to this than any of us know....(I know I am paranoid.........)
No no no, you are not paranoid. you have excellent instincts and should respond accordingly. I just want to encourage us NOT to get caught up in the fear of it but to use the fear to stir us to be wise and thoughtful and plan for the governments gross mismanagement of health in our country and in the world.
#15 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How sad for the family.

I have to wonder about other factors involved: Did they have clean running water? What were their diets like? Did any of them have underlying immunodeficiencies? What's the death rate from other infectious illnesses in the area where this occured?

I'm still not worried about myself or my family.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#16 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

#17 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 01:57 PM

Okay....I'm starting to be freaked out now...

but with good sanitation and stuff we should be fine right?

Guess it's a good thing DH is allergic to poultry...

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#18 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the link Marg.
#19 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 03:55 PM

I'm slightly ashamed to admit - human-to-human transmission of avian flu is one of those things that keeps me awake at night.
#20 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idocrase
I'm slightly ashamed to admit - highly infectious human-to-human transmission of avian flu is one of those things that keeps me awake at night.
Why be ashamed? Join me! It's the Happy Healthy but Scared Poopless of Bird Flu Club!!!

It's a party over here! Be Out and Proud! :

(Secret shame #1: I have been following the ins and outs concerning this since the very first outbreaks three years ago via the magic of google news. I was always wondering why the US media didn't seem to care at all. Oh, you and me, we could talk some bird flu. Secret shame #2: I would totally stockpile tamiflu if I could. Gotta get me some street tamiflu. Downside - It only saves one lung).
#21 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 08:23 PM

Oh, flyingspaghetti, you too?!?

I've been following this for years. And I do have a stockpile of Sambucol, because that was legal for me to buy....
#22 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 11:08 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't think we are overcrowding our planet at all.
6 billion people.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#23 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama
Why be ashamed? Join me! It's the Happy Healthy but Scared Poopless of Bird Flu Club!!!

It's a party over here! Be Out and Proud! :

(Secret shame #1: I have been following the ins and outs concerning this since the very first outbreaks three years ago via the magic of google news. I was always wondering why the US media didn't seem to care at all. Oh, you and me, we could talk some bird flu. Secret shame #2: I would totally stockpile tamiflu if I could. Gotta get me some street tamiflu. Downside - It only saves one lung).

i have nuke pills. can i join?
#24 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama ganoush
i have nuke pills. can i join?
Certainly! But first you have to put on your protective mask.

Can we get a smiley with a N95 mask respirator?
#25 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 11:37 PM

and one for h2o purification kit.
#26 of 31 Old 05-25-2006, 03:09 AM

here's another good article, which includes this theory:

Quote:
The Indonesian family also may have proved extraordinarily vulnerable to the virus because of an inherited genetic susceptibility, said Robert Webster, chair of infectious diseases at St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital in Memphis and a consultant to the WHO.

"I suspect the [human] host is what's unique in this case," he said
#27 of 31 Old 05-25-2006, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I think the fear ofover-population line of thinking could/would allow goverments and health organizations to have rights over human life that they should NOT have. I remember hearing a WHO talk about it ten years ago and 1) it made no sense to me and 2) it seemed like a fear tactic to me. From what I have read since then, I still tend to disagree that THAT is where the threats lie. BUt that's my take on it.
If we limit population growth now(birth control, higher standard of living globally), it will avoid drastic measures in the future. Measures like the ones taken in China, as they were rather desperate to reduce population growth.
Also, it is simply a documented fact that there are natural checks and balances to overpopulation via disease. But we have the knowledge, wealth and technology, globally, to support a world population much higher than 6 billion. It would involve re-distributing wealth, eco-friendly technologies and housing and transportation systems, and careful use of food-producing land. Urban sprawl, waste of resources and unchecked pollution will destroy us before mere overpopulation can. But we have set ourselves up for a global pandemic. It is only a matter of when. Vaccines or no vaccines.
#28 of 31 Old 05-25-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy Owl
If we limit population growth now(birth control, higher standard of living globally), it will avoid drastic measures in the future. Measures like the ones taken in China, as they were rather desperate to reduce population growth.
I disagree with 'our' or 'their' limiting population growth. It is problematic on so many levels.

Quote:
But we have the knowledge, wealth and technology, globally, to support a world population much higher than 6 billion. It would involve re-distributing wealth, eco-friendly technologies and housing and transportation systems, and careful use of food-producing land. Urban sprawl, waste of resources and unchecked pollution will destroy us before mere overpopulation can.
Yes, I absolutely agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These complex areas are where solutions lie. And while it is a much more difficult road to address and go down, I think it would be much more fruitful than merely limiting population.
#29 of 31 Old 05-25-2006, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

this seems to be a false alarm but it was a good wake up call...........
#30 of 31 Old 05-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Banned

Every day when I wake up, I check the news for two things. One: How is Bush's health and Two: Has bird flu gone person to person. Those are the two I check. That is not to say there is a long list of other things I don't worry about... global warming, resource control, loose nukes, class warfare, the next elections, did I lock the door...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page