Israel bombs Beirut airport.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, things are getting really bad. I shudder to think of what might happen if the Lebanese military starts getting involved

Israeli warplanes attack Beirut airport

Quote:
Israel intensified its attacks Thursday against Lebanon, blasting Beirut's airport and a Lebanese army air base near the Syrian border, and imposing a naval blockade. More than 50 people have died in violence following the capture of two Israeli soldiers by Hezbollah militants. Warplanes punched holes in the runways of Beirut's international airport and Lebanon's main military air base 30 miles to the east, an attack that could draw the Lebanese army into the conflict.
I am just very anxious right now for all the people of Israel, Lebanon, and Palestine and what this military escalation and Hezbollah aggression means for civilians.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 01:26 PM

Horrible.
I'm a little confused, actually. The last I remember Israel was bombing Gaza after finding out one of their military men was being held captive. Why is Israel now bombing Lebanon?
#3 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericaz
Horrible.
I'm a little confused, actually. The last I remember Israel was bombing Gaza after finding out one of their military men was being held captive. Why is Israel now bombing Lebanon?
Hizbollah captured two ISraeli soldiers.
#4 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 01:45 PM

Ok, so Hezbollah guerrillas live in Lebanon? Is Israel just bombing areas willy nilly or do they have evidence that the guerrillas are located where they are aiming? Not that I'm condoning it either way....just trying to grasp what the MO is here.
#5 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Ok, so Hezbollah guerrillas live in Lebanon? Is Israel just bombing areas willy nilly or do they have evidence that the guerrillas are located where they are aiming? Not that I'm condoning it either way....just trying to grasp what the MO is here.
Hezbollah is Lebanese, Hamas is Palestinian.

Bombing willy nilly. I mean, there is a plan, but no they aren't bombing the areas because they think their kidnapped soldiers are there.
#6 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdokht
Hezbollah is Lebanese, Hamas is Palestinian.

Bombing willy nilly. I mean, there is a plan, but no they aren't bombing the areas because they think their kidnapped soldiers are there.
Weird...sounds a lot like what's happening in Iraq. Go figure.
It never ceases to amaze me how one act of violence can be called terrorism when another is justified simply based on geographic location.
#7 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 02:02 PM

#8 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 02:55 PM

i'm very anxious over here aswell. i heard about the bombing on the six o clock news.. it's now 2:53am friday morning and i still can't get into contact with my sister who lives in lebanon.
i think i'm going to puke.
#9 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 03:11 PM

Quote:
In an indication the offensive was far from over, Israel's army chief Dan Haltuz declared that no targets in Lebanon were immune from attack and the military was prepared to continue its offensive for as long as possible.

"Nothing is safe. It is as simple as that," Halutz said.
#10 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamelia
I just read that too.
#11 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 03:18 PM

damn.
#12 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 03:20 PM

I can't help thinking about the innocent families who were at the airport trying to leave the danger.
#13 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 03:27 PM

i know. my dh's uncle left on a flight to australia a couple hours before the bombing began; and it wasn't because of what had happened -- his flight was scheduled for that day and time. can we say lucky?
#14 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
i'm very anxious over here aswell. i heard about the bombing on the six o clock news.. it's now 2:53am friday morning and i still can't get into contact with my sister who lives in lebanon.
I hope you can get ahold of her soon and that she's okay! Sending good vibes your way (and hers)...

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#15 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 03:47 PM

All I can think about is all the innocent people who will be harmed. This is so awful. It's hard to believe--- it's just surreal.......especially since they say that nothing is safe.

Me : , husband ,daughter Raven : 10-28-95 :
#16 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 03:54 PM

CNN Breaking News 12:09 pm
-- Israeli officials say a rocket has hit Haifa, a major port city in northern Israel, The Associated Press reports.

This situation is more horrible by the minute.

Me : , husband ,daughter Raven : 10-28-95 :
#17 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 04:22 PM

Yes, and we have several MDC Mamas at this very moment sitting in bomb shelters in northern Israel because katyusha rockets have hit right outside their homes.

Hizbullah is an armed "militia" force that operates with impunity in southern Lebanon and the Lebanese government cannot/will not act to restrain them. Their incursions into northern Israel are not infrequent. Their stated goal is violence against Israel and its eventual elimination. They act from sovereign Lebanese territory and Israel views incursions into its own borders as an act of war from another sovereign nation.

Hizbullah acts with the express support and approval of Iran and Syria.

This is terrible, on all sides. Innocents are suffering. War sucks.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#18 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I hope she's safe and you hear from her soon. I'm also trying to get in touch with dear friends in Beirut.
#19 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Hizbullah is an armed "militia" force that operates with impunity in southern Lebanon and the Lebanese government cannot/will not act to restrain them. Their incursions into northern Israel are not infrequent. Their stated goal is violence against Israel and its eventual elimination. They act from sovereign Lebanese territory and Israel views incursions into its own borders as an act of war from another sovereign nation.
Quote:
Hizbullah acts with the express support and approval of Iran and Syria.
I think Iran has been inciting this now for several weeks. (months). They don't recognize the state of Israel, so to them its not a sovereign state. Sad. Would it matter anyways?

Quote:
This is terrible, on all sides. Innocents are suffering. War sucks.
Yes.:
#20 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 10:27 PM

Anuska, what I was saying was that Israel views Lebanon as being responsible for the armed attacks into its borders from Lebanese territory and considers them a cassus belli (cause of war) -- regardless of whether the Lebanese government sanctioned the activity (it probably didn't) or just turned a blind eye to Hizbullah (it definitely did).

It doesn't matter whether Iran or Syria or Lebanon view Israel as sovereign or legitimate; the fact is that armed attacks into Israeli territory are an act of war and Israel will respond as such. That's all I meant.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#21 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 10:43 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter whether Iran or Syria or Lebanon view Israel as sovereign or legitimate; the fact is that armed attacks into Israeli territory are an act of war and Israel will respond as such. That's all I meant.
Okay, and I agree. But how are Syria, Lebanon, armed? I'm thinking up until about 2 weeks ago (or so, maybe 3-4)) it was relatively quiet in the area. I've been hearing on the news that Iran (and of course Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's anti-semitic rhetoric) perhaps incited this upraising for another sinister (or not so sinister) reason...to perhaps finally "wipe Israel off the map"? (his so-called "final solution". Scary Indeed.)

Oh of course its so much more complicated then that I know
#22 of 90 Old 07-13-2006, 11:07 PM

I have very dear friends in Lebanon and Israel. I am so worried about all of them.

mv
#23 of 90 Old 07-14-2006, 12:07 AM

Quote:
I have a good friend from Lebanon-- some of her family is still there, although she lives in the US.

She says that there are small areas of Lebanon that are more militant/religious (muslims) but that most of Lebanon (Christians and muslims alike) is more moderate, politically. There are not many Jews left there since the war, but there are many Christians and Muslims in Lebanon. Most folks are 'moderate' but there is a pretty large group of fundamentalist Sunnis. It's an issue there.

I am pretty sure the government, or at least the large majority of Lebanon, would rather not have to deal with Hezbollah. They are in a smaller area, and are not representative of all of Lebanon.

I dont know that much on my own-- this is from 'a friend'.
#24 of 90 Old 07-14-2006, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom
I am pretty sure the government, or at least the large majority of Lebanon, would rather not have to deal with Hezbollah. They are in a smaller area, and are not representative of all of Lebanon.

You are absolutely correct. However, Hizbullah operates within Lebanese borders and so the Lebanese government bears responsibility for preventing Hizbullah from launching a war from its territory. If Hizbullah is acting as an autonomous military force -- which it is -- then the Lebanese army and gov't has to act to rein them in. One of the hallmarks of a sovereign nation is a "monopoly of force" i.e. that only one armed force acts on behalf of that nation.

This isn't the first time militias-by-proxy have acted from Lebanese territory; in fact it was one of the leading factors of destabilization that led to the Lebanese civil war that began in the 1970's and 1980's and the Israeli invasion in 1982. At that time, it was Fatah that was the militia-by-proxy which basically took over southern Lebanon and launched attacks on northern Israel. Now it's Hizbullah, operating with the funding and assistance of both Iran and Syria.

#25 of 90 Old 07-14-2006, 11:04 AM

I can't shake the feeling that we are witnessing the events leading up to WWIII. Seriously. Isreal, Lebanon, Iran, Iraq, Syria, N Korea, China, Afganistan, and others. There are a lot of countries with tensions running high. A lot of people have been and are being killed.

Perhaps, I'm being paranoid but I can't help but look at my little boys and wonder if they will be involved in the next world war. I think of all the children who are already involved in this spreading war. :
#26 of 90 Old 07-14-2006, 11:07 AM

Lebanon just called for a cease fire.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/...ast/index.html
As for WWIII, if that ever became reality you better believe we'd be running to Canada.
#27 of 90 Old 07-14-2006, 11:09 AM

Canada was involved in the World Wars. At least the first one. My early morning brain can't remember about the second.
#28 of 90 Old 07-14-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom
I have a good friend from Lebanon-- some of her family is still there, although she lives in the US.

She says that there are small areas of Lebanon that are more militant/religious (muslims) but that most of Lebanon (Christians and muslims alike) is more moderate, politically. There are not many Jews left there since the war, but there are many Christians and Muslims in Lebanon. Most folks are 'moderate' but there is a pretty large group of fundamentalist Sunnis. It's an issue there.

I dont know that much on my own-- this is from 'a friend'.
Actually, Hizbollah has a lot of support and holds seats in the Lebanese government.
#29 of 90 Old 07-14-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry
However, Hizbullah operates within Lebanese borders and so the Lebanese government bears responsibility for preventing Hizbullah from launching a war from its territory.
Actually, Hezbollah is part of the Lebanese government. Hezbollah has a number of seats in its national legislature and holds a couple of Ministries in the Lebanese government (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanes...t_of_July_2005 ). Hezbollah's militia has been the elephant in the room since the so-called 'cedar revolution'.
#30 of 90 Old 07-14-2006, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Lebanon just called for a cease fire.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/...ast/index.html
As for WWIII, if that ever became reality you better believe we'd be running to Canada.
Since Lebanon isn't technically the one attacking Israel and Hizbollah is probably laughing, I'm sure that cease fire will hold. *sigh* Everyone was supposed to wait for my dd to get older so she could bring world peace. : This is just scary.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page