Foster child (3) murdered by foster father in my community - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-31-2006, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This happened a few months ago, but I just gathered some articles I've found online.

http://www.fdlreporter.com/apps/pbcs...8057/0/FON0401

At the bottom of this page is a list of several related articles:
http://www.fdlreporter.com/apps/pbcs...template=theme

: Reading through all the articles is just so sad. But this has motivated DH and I to try to become foster parents in the future, after we buy a house.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-31-2006, 09:59 PM

PARENT'S GUIDE TO THE SYSTEM BY CHERLY T BARNES..

http://www.geocities.com/family_righ...nts_guide.html

Know your rights people!
#3 of 8 Old 08-31-2006, 10:06 PM

Quote:
the Marquardt’s foster care license would be reviewed
Well, that's good.

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#4 of 8 Old 08-31-2006, 10:25 PM

They always claim to "just snap", but the bodies always show that it has been a pattern of violence.
#5 of 8 Old 09-03-2006, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82
They always claim to "just snap", but the bodies always show that it has been a pattern of violence.
I don't think there was any evidence of ongoing abuse. At least none of it was printed in the newspaper.

I'm glad the surviving child has been given back to his biological mother. The papers never said why the children were taken away in the first place, but they kind of hinted that it was just because the mother was so young and she didn't have a place to live. She was supposed to just get an apartment to get her kids back.

It's so messed up :

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#6 of 8 Old 09-03-2006, 03:30 PM

How can they justify taking children away from a mom because she is young? That doesn't mean she will abuse them. And look who ended up killing her poor baby boy? An "older" adult. Who just "snapped" because the kid was sick and threw up? That makes me so angry and so sad. How the hell do you get that angry at a child who just threw up? I can't even imagine it. Sure it is gross and a mess, but come on. To punch the boy three times as hard as you can? That guy needs more that 85 years prison time. And then to do it to his younger brother? Hit him so hard to rip his bowel open? :
What ever. I keep seeing CPS making more and more mistakes. We had a case here, where a boy was left with known abusive parents so they could "Keep the family together" and they ended up beating him to death... and there were several reports of abuse on this family, and yet instead of helping this young mom out, getting her set up in a place or helping her find a job, they send her kids to some f'ing freak who kills her son.
WTH??!!

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#7 of 8 Old 09-04-2006, 02:13 AM

Well, I am not going to argue with you about this.
I don't think the family unit needs to be dissovled, just because CPS needs a major overhaul. I have been hearing way to many scary stories about people being "looked" into for stuff like UC and Co-sleeping. And all ths scare tatics they use and when they come to houses. : :

Back to the topic... the whole thing is just too sad for words really. :

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#8 of 8 Old 09-11-2006, 08:07 PM

Actually the only reason that children are more commonly abused or killed on their own homes is that there are far more children living in their own homes than in foster homes. Statistically, a child is several times more likely to be abused or killed in a foster home than in his own home.

I'm not sure if that is clear. It's like if you had 2 barrels of apples. One has 200 apples in it and 4 (2%) of them rot. The other has 10 apples in it, it gets rolled around to cause bruising, and 2 (20%) of them rot. Even though the first barrel had the "leading number of rotten apples" in it, each apple in the second barrel was 5 times more likely to rot.

Children are, on average, several times more likely to be abused or killed in foster homes than in their own homes. This has been demonstrated repeatedly and beyond a shadow of a doubt.

For this reason, the only justifiable reason for placing a child in foster care is if he can be shown to have been abused or neglected in his own home, because then that individual child is less likely to be mistreated in a foster home than in his own particular home (since his particular home has a 100% instance of abuse, and the foster home does not).

As a social institution, then, the family is much more worth preserving (in general) than the fostering institution.

User Tag List