Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#3 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 01:00 AM
Banned

That's why religion isn't for me. Religion is not typically very kind to women; and some religions oppress women waaaaay more than others. Religion and feminism, for me personally, do not mix.
#4 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 01:07 AM

It is soooo time to toppel those !@#$er&.

I hope they do it and some more totally extreme obnoxious measures that finally push Saudi society into a revolution which has them dragging the royals out by their 500,000 thobes and forcing those low-life stooges into permanent exile.

Delacroix you are always such a ray of sunshine.
#5 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacroix
That's why religion isn't for me. Religion is not typically very kind to women; and some religions oppress women waaaaay more than others. Religion and feminism, for me personally, do not mix.
The article isn't about ISLAM banning women from Mecca (more accurately, the area directly surrounding the Ka'ba during certain times) rather a Saudi governmental agency. That government is known for its oppressiveness and not just towards women.
#6 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What Warda Rose said.

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#7 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 12:44 PM

Some people only talk about sexism. These guys are actually doing something about it.
#8 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 12:52 PM

That sucks that they are doing that.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#9 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPentor
Some people only talk about sexism. These guys are actually doing something about it.
;lol SP. I am most certain your wife must roll with laughter at your wittiness daily.

Now, on topic. This makes my eye twitch. This is the gov. of SA saying that MEN'S spirituality and commitment to holiness is MORE IMPORTANT than any WOMAN'S.

If rioting and stampeding are an issue well. Make a max capacity and 1st come 1st serve there you go. Why screw all the women out of their requirements so men can get theirs?

I forgot. Sorry. Way of the world and all. Carry on. I can't believe we call countries like this our "allies". What a crock of monkey poo!

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#10 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 02:21 PM

Whoa. I find it so hard to comprehend how people can do things like this yet still call themselves religious. Seriously - do they REALLy think that their god would look down proudly on them for keeping people away from worship?? What a joke.
#11 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 02:26 PM

Bahhhhhh. That makes me really angry. :
I hope the House of Saud comes crumbling down!
#12 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 02:40 PM

Why, oh why do Islamic countires do this to their women? Why are women treated so badly there? Islam, as a religion, does not bother me at all. I am all for religious respect and religious freedom. From what I know of the Quar'an(sp?), it dictates that both sexes must be treated equally. I'm not muslim, but do have interest in studying the religion, and it is so wrong that in their home countries women are treated like second-class citizens. I have seen many happy Islamic families here in which the women are treated very well, enjoying the same rights as her husband but still being able to practice her faith. I don't get it.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#13 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 02:57 PM

After reading what the Saudi government has done to Bill Sampson and others, this really comes as no surprise.
#14 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 03:00 PM

Can you imagine being a women in Saudi society? Can't do anything without a mans permission. This is not what I think God intended for women at all. Religion should be a "freeing" thing imo not oppressive.

There are certainly other ways to deal with the overcrowding at Mecca.
#15 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warda_Rose
The article isn't about ISLAM banning women from Mecca (more accurately, the area directly surrounding the Ka'ba during certain times) rather a Saudi governmental agency. That government is known for its oppressiveness and not just towards women.

What Islamic theocratic state is more moderate than Saudi Arabia? I am under the impression that it is one of the moderate Islamic countries. (I'm sincerely asking.)
#16 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpie545
Why, oh why do Islamic countires do this to their women? Why are women treated so badly there? Islam, as a religion, does not bother me at all. I am all for religious respect and religious freedom. From what I know of the Quar'an(sp?), it dictates that both sexes must be treated equally. I'm not muslim, but do have interest in studying the religion, and it is so wrong that in their home countries women are treated like second-class citizens. I have seen many happy Islamic families here in which the women are treated very well, enjoying the same rights as her husband but still being able to practice her faith. I don't get it.

I could have written this post myself. Every word.
#17 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacroix
What Islamic theocratic state is more moderate than Saudi Arabia? I am under the impression that it is one of the moderate Islamic countries. (I'm sincerely asking.)
THat would depend on how you define Islamic theocratic state, would that be Iran, Syria, Algeria, Northern Nigeria, Somalia...? The truth is that there probably isn't a Muslim country on earth that is more oppressive to women than Saudi Arabia. I have no idea where you go the idea that they were moderate. They are the worst of the extreme both in terms of law and a certain culture that they have exported around their state religion.

I mean women in Saudi Arabia can't even drive. That's not true anywhere else in the Muslim world.
#18 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdokht
THat would depend on how you define Islamic theocratic state, would that be Iran, Syria, Algeria, Northern Nigeria, Somalia...? The truth is that there probably isn't a Muslim country on earth that is more oppressive to women than Saudi Arabia. I have no idea where you go the idea that they were moderate. They are the worst of the extreme both in terms of law and a certain culture that they have exported around their state religion.

I mean women in Saudi Arabia can't even drive. That's not true anywhere else in the Muslim world.
maybe in the way of women only - but man - I certainly would have the Islamic African nations at the top of the list for most extreme!!!
#19 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4imprints
maybe in the way of women only - but man - I certainly would have the Islamic African nations at the top of the list for most extreme!!!
What nations and why?
#20 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 03:42 PM

I am not up to date with memorizing specific smaller countries...sorry....but what about all that talk about the Islamic rebel tribes of African nations that are carrying out mass murders on anyone who is not Islamic? I'll have to go look but it has been recently. Darfur maybe?
#21 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4imprints
I am not up to date with memorizing specific smaller countries...sorry....but what about all that talk about the Islamic rebel tribes of African nations that are carrying out mass murders on anyone who is not Islamic? I'll have to go look but it has been recently. Darfur maybe?
I think you are confusing things. In Darfur both the aggressor and the victims are Muslim. This is a conflict, like all conflicts, over resources not religion and certainly not race as some have attempted to spin it.

With all due respect, I think if you make a statement that is as damning as the one you made, you need to be able to back it up.
#22 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 03:46 PM

Do they even care how stupid they sound?

Quote:
But the religious authorities behind the proposal insist its real purpose is to lessen the chronic problem of overcrowding, which has led to deadly riots during pilgrimages at Mecca in the past.
Hmmm, so how about, I don't know--- having max capacities and just turning people away after you're full? :

Sure, it's not about them being women.

#23 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 03:48 PM

The better-armed Janjaweed quickly gained the upper hand. By the spring of 2004, several thousand people — mostly from the non-Arab population — had been killed and as many as a million more had been driven from their homes, causing a major humanitarian crisis in the region. The crisis took on an international dimension when over 100,000 refugees poured into neighbouring Chad, pursued by Janjaweed militiamen, who clashed with Chadian government forces along the border. More than 70 militiamen and 10 Chadian soldiers were killed in one gun battle in April. A United Nations observer team reported that non-Arab villages were singled out while Arab villages were left untouched:

From Wikipedia

---sorry I intermixed the words "arab" and "islam" which I should not have done. In any case, this to me seems like a situation when non-arabs where singled out no matter what the exuse is that people use for why it began in the first place.
#24 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 03:49 PM

double post
#25 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 03:49 PM

triple post
#26 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 04:11 PM

#27 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 04:23 PM

#28 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 04:55 PM

The fact that they are even considering it, annoys me to no end.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#29 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 04:58 PM
gnu

But doesnt the Saudi govt issue policies at the behest of Wahabists? As far as I know, that sect gives the king legitimacy, and the king in turn legislates wahabist interpretations of islam? I think, just like in the US, the government is repressive toward women *in response* to fundamentalist elements. So really, we should look to moderate those religious elements rather than advocate overthrowing the monarchy. Imagine what theocratic state would evolve in SA in the absence of the king, who at least suggested driving for women, full education, etc. Who is behind the religious police in SA after all - the wahabists!
#30 of 99 Old 09-08-2006, 05:00 PM

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page