Flight Attendant told to lose weight or lose job - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-01-2007, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
An Indian court has ruled against a group of female flight attendants who were grounded from the national airline for being overweight.

The court said that state-owned Indian Airlines had the right to take the step in the interest of flight safety and in the face of growing competition.

The flight attendants had argued that the move was demeaning.

The airline began a system of measuring air hostesses based on their height and weight last year.

The Delhi High Court has ruled in favour of the airline, saying that with aircraft flying at higher altitudes, the safety of the passengers depended on the crew's ability to perform.

Full story here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6710845.stm

So, what do you think? At first I was highly offended . .. but I guess I could see how flight attendants would need to on the lean side to fit comfortably through the aisles. I think the issue of Western beauty ideals though, that's a very valid issue that concerns me.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-01-2007, 08:54 PM

flight safety?
#3 of 4 Old 06-01-2007, 09:02 PM

AFAIK, American flight attendants are required to fit a certain physical profile and weight.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#4 of 4 Old 06-01-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthea™ View Post
AFAIK, American flight attendants are required to fit a certain physical profile and weight.
They were, but they abolished the weight weigh-ins/strict standards a few years back. My roommate used to fly for Pan Am, and my cousin has flown for Continental for 20+ years. I used to hear stories of the measures girls would go through for their weigh ins. It was disturbing.

My issue with this is that they're automatically equating thinness=fitness and safety. So if fitness and safety are the real issues, then have some sort of fitness testing, safety testing, etc.

One woman who had been flying with the airlines for 20+ years lost her job for being 4 kg overweight. That's like 10 pounds. It's not like she was morbidly obese.

When flight attendants first came into being, they had to be nurses. That makes more sense from a safety standard than weight IMHO.

And of course, one has to ask, what (if any) are the weight standards for the male (presumably) pilots?

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page