Pfizer Sued Over Children's Deaths - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2007, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.cnn.com/2007/BUSINESS/06/...eut/index.html

"Nigeria filed new charges against Pfizer Monday, seeking $6.95 billion in damages over the deaths of children who received an unapproved drug during a meningitis epidemic.

The suit came after a separate court delayed until July two cases in which Pfizer is accused by the northern state of Kano of harming Nigerian children by testing them with the antibiotic Trovan in 1996.

Although the Kano state government case has been running for more than two years, Monday was the first time the federal government filed its own charges.

Nigeria alleged in papers filed at a Federal High Court in the capital Abuja that Pfizer, the world's biggest drugmaker, did not obtain approval from the relevant regulatory agencies and acted unethically when it tested the antibiotic in Kano..."

If true, I hope they win a ton of money. The thing that bothers me about this, is at least it reads like Nigeria's upset because they didn't get correct approval from them... BUT I want to know what about the families of the children. What were they told?? Are they going to get any of the settlement??

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2007, 04:02 PM

Nothing like informed consent, eh? I'd like to see some of these pharma companies finally get pricked back.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:17 PM

This is so sad and scary to me. Just go somewhere where no one cares what happens to the population and test it out. No one will complain. That's the theory I am willing to bet. It's just disgusting.

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

Old 06-05-2007, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mama Jama View Post
This is so sad and scary to me. Just go somewhere where no one cares what happens to the population and test it out. No one will complain. That's the theory I am willing to bet. It's just disgusting.
: They test tons of drugs in India too.. unethical, IMHO.

http://www.wired.com/medtech/drugs/news/2005/12/69595

Quote:
"The days of the Raj are long gone, but multinational corporations are riding high on the trend toward globalization by taking advantage of India's educated work force and deep poverty to turn South Asia into the world's largest clinical-testing petri dish.

The sudden influx of drug companies to India resembles the gold rush frontier, according to Sean Philpott, managing editor of The American Journal of Bioethics.

"Not only are research costs low, but there is a skilled work force to conduct the trials," he said. In the rush to reap profits, Philpott cautions that drug companies may not be sensitive to how poverty can undermine the spirit of informed consent. "Individuals who participate in Indian clinical trials usually won't be educated. Offering $100 may be undue enticement; they may not even realize that they are being coerced," he said."

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Old 06-05-2007, 07:29 PM

I'm pretty sure that's how a lot of the tests for the first polio vaccine were handled, too ... tribespeople in Africa, mass inoculations. I haven't read about that in a while, but in the 50s, I seem to recall, that's how they conducted trials on the Sabin polio vaccine. Reprehensible.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:34 PM

The thought is just so horrid. The companies don't care about people and only see profits if all goes well. When it doesn't on the other hand, usually they don't have to be held accountable. Good for them for suing. Corporations like this just make me ill (no pun intended)...

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

Old 06-05-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug View Post
I'm pretty sure that's how a lot of the tests for the first polio vaccine were handled, too ... tribespeople in Africa, mass inoculations. I haven't read about that in a while, but in the 50s, I seem to recall, that's how they conducted trials on the Sabin polio vaccine. Reprehensible.
Yup. I was about to post the same exact thing. I believe that's how AIDS was created. There was a documentary about it based on the book titled, The River. I forget the author. The doc is called The Origins of AIDS. I'm not even sure if you can find it anywhere now though. They were trying to get it off the shelves and places, if you know what I mean. I caught it on the Sundance channel awhile back and recorded it.

Ugh. I live not far from a Pfizer Corp too. :Puke
Old 06-05-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco_mama View Post
Yup. I was about to post the same exact thing. I believe that's how AIDS was created.

Yeah, that's a theory about the origin of AIDS that's been around since the late 80s, IIRC. Something about the Sabin vaccine being cultured in monkey kidney samples which were infected with SIV, right? I've heard that one virulently argued about, though.

Pfizer ... shudder ... gotta make their Vioxx money back somehow, right? Like they didn't get rich enough giving old men erections they shouldn't have. Puke, indeed.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco_mama View Post
Yup. I was about to post the same exact thing. I believe that's how AIDS was created. There was a documentary about it based on the book titled, The River. I forget the author. The doc is called The Origins of AIDS. I'm not even sure if you can find it anywhere now though. They were trying to get it off the shelves and places, if you know what I mean. I caught it on the Sundance channel awhile back and recorded it.

that documentary was so haunting. Its one of those that just makes you sick for a long time.

User Tag List