FDA warns nursing moms of pain drug risk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-20-2007, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20319327/

Quote:
Genetic testing later showed the woman’s body converted the codeine to morphine more rapidly and completely than in other people. That led to higher-than-expected morphine levels in her breast milk.
I for one lived on codeine a few times in my life with a nursling, the last time being a few weeks after #4 was born and I got a nasty UTI/bladder/uti infection.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 08-20-2007, 11:03 AM

Thanks for posting this. The FDA just totally lost credibility with me when they posted all of those warnings about the "dangers" of domperidone as a galactagogue (sp). Now whenever they post a warning I just wonder who paid them to do it.
#3 of 16 Old 08-20-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMom View Post
Now whenever they post a warning I just wonder who paid them to do it.
Isn't this so true?

How sad is it that we don't have government agencies protecting our health? In fact, whenever theypost anything against a drug company, I think to myself, "Oops! X drug company must've missed a payment!"
#4 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 04:51 AM

umm..lovely.
wait..theyre supposed to test drugs before letting them on the market. what is this in the last couple years? "oops" : sheesh..

or yeah i could totally see the "they forgot the payment" type deal too and i dont know which is worse, honestly....
#5 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 04:59 AM

Then why do they give morphine to new moms?

Not all those who wander are lost 
#6 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 05:50 AM

I am allergic to codeine, so I always get something stronger to begin with. I think ithat watching a nursing infant for signs of side effects is kind of a no brainer, but it sounds like a good reminder.
#7 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
Then why do they give morphine to new moms?
Because they can. Sometimes in the epidural, afaik.

Strange but true.

Then they give them benedryl for the side effects...fun.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#8 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 12:45 PM

I think the statement is ridiculous. Of course you should watch a baby for side effects, when the nursing mother is on narcotics. DUH!

A lot of birth trauma occurs in this country (csecs/episiotomies/forceps/vacuums/etc), and many moms are on painkillers because of the birth! Watch the newborns! OK.
#9 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 12:53 PM

I think this is one of the more sensible reports to come from the FDA. Especially if you happen to be North African, Ethiopian or Saudi! In those cases, hopefully Dr's will be more careful about giving codeine, and can monitor the patients more.

It's good to hear medicine is taking into account individual differences.

Quote:
The risk of having the genetic mutation ranges from about 1 percent in Hispanics, Chinese and Japanese, to 3 percent in African-Americans, 1 percent to 10 percent in Caucasians, and as high as 16 percent to 28 percent in North Africans, Ethiopians and Saudis, Kweder said.
#10 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 12:55 PM

I was prescribed tylenol with codeine after DD#3 was born. I never took it though because my pain was manageable without it. It seemed to me as though it was pretty routinely prescribed after childbirth at the hospital where I delivered.
#11 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Because they can. Sometimes in the epidural, afaik.
Yes. I was given morphine with my second section, because I agreed to it. When I thought about it afterwards, I decided I didn't want my babies exposed to it, and didn't want to go through the hellish itching again, so I planned to refuse it if I ended up in OR again. I didn't get the chance, as the anesthesiologist put it in my spinal without asking/telling me.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#12 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
I was prescribed tylenol with codeine after DD#3 was born. I never took it though because my pain was manageable without it. It seemed to me as though it was pretty routinely prescribed after childbirth at the hospital where I delivered.
Same here. In fact, after both of my sections, it was pushed aggressively by nurses. My dh actually had to be pretty firm about my wishes at the door of my room. They just couldn't understand that the pain could be managed without codeine. I am so glad I never took it, and it's just terrible that mothers have been told that it's safe (in the past).
#13 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IansMommy View Post
Same here. In fact, after both of my sections, it was pushed aggressively by nurses. My dh actually had to be pretty firm about my wishes at the door of my room. They just couldn't understand that the pain could be managed without codeine. I am so glad I never took it, and it's just terrible that mothers have been told that it's safe (in the past).
Same here and I didn't even have a section. I had about the most smooth delivery that anyone could hope for and they still tried to give it to me. I was just fine with Motrin.
#14 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I didn't get the chance, as the anesthesiologist put it in my spinal without asking/telling me.
Ahhh! Nothing like informed consent, is there!?

Storm Bride, I am so sorry that happened to you.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#15 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Ahhh! Nothing like informed consent, is there!?

Storm Bride, I am so sorry that happened to you.
You know...until I started posting here, and joined ICAN, I'd never fully realized how much of my difficulty dealing with my sections was rooted in this kind total disregard of me as a person when I was in the hospital. I knew about some of it (I figured out about the morphine when the itching started, for example), but some it only came to light when I got my records. I've also received sedatives without my knowledge or consent. It's quite mind-boggling to me that hospitals and staff think there's anything acceptable about drugging patients without even telling us, let alone asking.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#16 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 05:03 PM

yes, that always amazes me.

Women are told not to drink wine, beer, or take asprin for the nine months of pregnancy, even through the terrible throes of morning sickness, lest they damage the precious babies they carry. Conscientious women follow the rules. Once the medical establishment gets the women's signatures on those consent forms, the most hideous, powerful drugs are pumped into their spinal columns and veins with side-effects to counter the other side-effects. It is a wonder that most woman and babies survive the insult to their health and go on to live a life. The human body is a marvelous organism.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page