Parents Use Religion to avoid vaccines - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-18-2007, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Quote:
She is among a small but growing number of parents around the country who are claiming religious exemptions to avoid vaccinating their children when the real reason may be skepticism of the shots or concern they can cause other illnesses. Some of these parents say they are being forced to lie because of the way the vaccination laws are written in their states.

Guess I'm one of 'those' parents myself...I hope this doesn't cause states to crack down on giving religious exemptions...:

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post
"Do I think that religious exemptions have become the default? Absolutely," said Dr. Paul Offit, head of infectious diseases at Children's Hospital in Philadelphia and one of the harshest critics of the anti-vaccine movement. He said the resistance to vaccines is "an irrational, fear-based decision."

The number of exemptions is extremely small in percentage terms and represents just a few thousand of the 3.7 million children entering kindergarten in 2005, the most recent figure available.

But public health officials say it takes only a few people to cause an outbreak that can put large numbers of lives at risk.

"When you choose not to get a vaccine, you're not just making a choice for yourself, you're making a choice for the person sitting next to you," said Dr. Lance Rodewald, director of the CDC's Immunization Services Division
This part really irked me! :
Old 10-18-2007, 03:54 PM

still dont understand why anyone should need an exemption. It should be a choice. we dont live in Russia for crying out loud.

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
Old 10-18-2007, 05:03 PM

There's more discussion over at vax forum.

It is pure ignorance that my unvaxed kid will spark an outbreak.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
"When you choose not to get a vaccine, you're not just making a choice for yourself, you're making a choice for the person sitting next to you," said Dr. Lance Rodewald, director of the CDC's Immunization Services Division
I don't understand this statement. If the "person sitting next to you" is vaccinated, why would your vax status matter? This kind of statement makes it sound like vaccines don't work. Way to inspire confidence there, Lance.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
"Do I think that religious exemptions have become the default? Absolutely," said Dr. Paul Offit, head of infectious diseases at Children's Hospital in Philadelphia and one of the harshest critics of the anti-vaccine movement. He said the resistance to vaccines is "an irrational, fear-based decision."
Fear-based? You betcha. Fear of what the vaccines can do to my kids, that is. :
Old 10-18-2007, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Isn't vaccinating a fear based decision? Just fear of the (so-called) 'deadly' diseases?

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :

User Tag List