Mom faces trial for leaving her sleeping daughter in her car for just a couple of min - Mothering Forums

#1 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you think of this? I think it's overly intrusive on the part of the government. I understand the very good reasons for the laws against leaving a child in a car, but doesn't a parent's judgment count for anything anymore?

http://apnews.myway.com//article/200...D8VBRSM00.html

Treffly Coyne was out of her car for just minutes and no more than 10 yards away.

But that was long and far enough to land her in court after a police officer spotted her sleeping 2-year-old daughter alone in the vehicle...

Minutes later, she was under arrest - the focus of both a police investigation and a probe by the state's child welfare agency....

The 36-year-old suburban mother is preparing to go on trial Thursday on misdemeanor charges of child endangerment and obstructing a peace officer. If convicted, she could be sentenced to a year in jail and fined $2,500, even though child welfare workers found no credible evidence of abuse or neglect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 11:17 AM

That's ridiculous. The arresting officer must be a moron.
#3 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 11:57 AM

What exactly is a "peace officer"?

Samanthawild.gif mama to 5 joy.gif                                                         

#4 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 12:03 PM

I find this reprehensible. I agree completely with this:
Quote:
Coyne's attorney, Michelle Forbes, argued that Coyne did not break the law any more than a mother who parks in front of a school in a rainstorm and leaves an infant in the car as she runs a few feet to pick up another child.

"As long as the car is not out of her sight, then the child is not unattended," she said.

Coyne and her husband believe she is unfairly being lumped in with parents who put their children's lives at risk.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#5 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 12:04 PM

wow, I can't believe that

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#6 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 12:19 PM

I was a nut about always bringing my kids with me- never leaving them in a car. Then we went on vacation, and a couple left their children in the car to nap while they went inside. *I* would never do that, but I really respected these parents, and the community was safe. Then I started to take my dd to a preschool in a more rural area (in my neighborhood, I wouldn't let our children in our front yard, let alone in the car) All the mom's would leave their kids in the car while they took older DC's to the school. One day my ds was fast asleep (the school is about 35 min. from where we live) One of the mom's said, leave him here, I'll watch him. I locked the car, and went and got DD while DS slept. Now- if ds is sleeping, I park right in front (we all do) and everyone watches each others kids as we take turns.

My point is that there is no black and white examples of this. they are all grey. IMO, this is the same as those who condemn co-sleeping out of hand. They don't realize there are safe and responsible ways of doing it. It sounded like this police officer was a black and white person, IYKWIM

Julieknit.gif, DP to modifiedartist.gif, mama to DD (7)dust.gif , and DS (5)joy.gif

#7 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yup, I agree- there is no black and white about this. There is no reason this mother should be prosecuted-her child was within her field of vision the entire time. I have done this myself many times, mostly at the gas station while running in to pay-with the car locked and in my line of vision. I really hope that the jury finds her not guilty, because she broke no law. Leaving a child in a car alone becomes a crime when they are left alone without adult supervision-and in this case, an adult was supervising.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#8 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 01:11 PM

Ok, I'm not a Salvation Army fan, but that makes it even worse:

Quote:
Coyne had taken her two older daughters to pour $8.29 in coins into a Salvation Army kettle.

On Dec. 8 Coyne decided to drive to Wal-Mart in the Chicago suburb of Crestwood so her children and a young friend could donate the coins they'd collected at her husband's office.

Even as she buckled 2-year-old Phoebe into the car, the girl was asleep. When Coyne arrived at the store, she found a spot to park in a loading zone, right behind someone tying a Christmas tree onto a car.

"It's sleeting out, it's not pleasant, I don't want to disturb her, wake her up," Coyne said this week. "It was safer to leave her in the safety and warmth of an alarmed car than take her."

So Coyne switched on the emergency flashers, locked the car, activated the alarm and walked the other children to the bell ringer.

#9 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 01:27 PM

Oh, for crying out loud! Isn't there something out there more worthy of prosecution?

~Marie: Mom to DS(17), DS(16), DD(14), DD(10), DD(8) & someone new on the way.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 01:33 PM

This is insane! I guess I should be prosecuted every time I get out of the car and pump gas with my little one in the car? I hope the judge throws this out!
#11 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's absolutely ridiculous. She didn't leave the toddler in the car while she went shopping or something. Geeze.

Quote:
Coyne's attorney, Michelle Forbes, argued that Coyne did not break the law any more than a mother who parks in front of a school in a rainstorm and leaves an infant in the car as she runs a few feet to pick up another child.
Seriously. If you're close enough you can see the car and what's going on, it's not unattended. I leave dd2 in the car most of the time when I pick dd1 up from school. It's probably about the same distance as this mom was and I can see the van the whole time.

Oh geeze, sometimes I leave her in the van in the driveway while I grab the mail, too. SOMEONE ARREST ME.
#12 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 02:04 PM

How terrible. I'm one of those people who is totally against leaving kids in cars, but this is freaking ridiculous.
#13 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 02:35 PM

This is insane. simply insane.

Lumping her in with these idiots who leave their kids in their car for HOURS completely unattended while they drink or gamble or whatever else. ridiculous.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#14 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 02:39 PM

This made my stomach lurch.
Seriously she was in the LOADING zone. Any one go to walmart? the loading zone is like always um within 20 FEET of the door. ...and let see ..don't the bell ringers stand on the SIDEWALK...and I believe they do have to stand so many feet AWAY from the doors as well... so the woman couldn't have been more than 20 feet from her car. seriously? i mean we all do this ...I

leave my kids in the car in the driveway if they are sleeping and i want to just grab the mail from the box...and that means leaving them in a car 40 feet away!
I have left my sleeping son in the car while I grabbed a newspaper out of a box on the sidewalk (that was about 10 feet away)...I have left my kids in the car AWAKE at the Walmart gas station and walked to the window on the other side of the pump to pay when the machine wouldn't take cards (that had to be like 50 feet and i was on the OTHER side of the pump to boot)
I am probably due for federal prison by now. :

Proud Momma of 2 boys R(6) L(4) & finally a GIRL (5/29/10)
..Fused & Fabulous!
#15 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
Oh, for crying out loud! Isn't there something out there more worthy of prosecution?
: WIth everything else going on this is what someone chooses to focus on. Get a life.
#16 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleaugustbaby View Post
How terrible. I'm one of those people who is totally against leaving kids in cars, but this is freaking ridiculous.
:
If you can see the kid, they aren't "unattended"

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#17 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 03:33 PM

no wonder the crime rates are so high at walmart.
#18 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 03:35 PM

You know, my mom once left me and my brother in the car "for just a couple of minutes" and she could "see the car the whole time" and we were "within her line of vision" but that didn't stop the car from rolling into the street with us inside it. Mamas, just because you "do this all the time" doesn't mean it isn't dangerous. Bad things can happen really fast.

Single mom of 2 boys
#19 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 03:50 PM

Everyone has a story. A story does not make something "likely".

I personally know a person whose daughter died because there was a short in the electrical system while she was using a blow dryer on her hair. So, no one should ever use blow dryers.

This whole prosecution is ridiculous. There are approximately 200 fatalities from kids left in cars each year. I'm going to guess most of those are along the lines of heat exhaustion/left for hours/etc., NOT a mom being 10 feet away while her other child donates coins to a charity. About 5,000 people die of food poisoning in the US each year. So, let's prosecute everyone who gives their child food...especially things like fish, tomatoes, meat, mayonnaise, etc...because, you know, they *could* die.
#20 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 03:54 PM

I am distracted by the fact that her name is Treffly.

But I agree that it's a bogus charge. Everything carries risk. I am comfortable leaving my kids in a locked car for a minute while i go pay for gas and pick up milk at the local mini-mart.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#21 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 04:12 PM

That is absurd, if she was so close and could see her, should we be under arrest for letting our 2yos play at the park while we sit on the bench? The arresting officer should have used better judgement.

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.
#22 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post
I never said "likely," why is that in quotes? The point is that every injury or death from being left in the car is COMPLETELY preventable, not like a freak power serge that you can't even anticipate. So was donating $8 to the salvation army (while it's sleeting outside because appearently it was so important that it couldn't wait), worth risking her child's life/health/safety even a tiny little bit? No, not worth it at all. For God's sake just go to the website and donate from the comfort of your own home if it's sleeting outside. Of course sometimes it might be unavoidable that you have to step out of the car for a minute, like some kind of emergency, but this wasn't a charity donation emergency, and therefore not worth it.

Single mom of 2 boys
#23 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post

I personally know a person whose daughter died because there was a short in the electrical system while she was using a blow dryer on her hair. So, no one should ever use blow dryers.

This whole prosecution is ridiculous. There are approximately 200 fatalities from kids left in cars each year. I'm going to guess most of those are along the lines of heat exhaustion/left for hours/etc., NOT a mom being 10 feet away while her other child donates coins to a charity. About 5,000 people die of food poisoning in the US each year. So, let's prosecute everyone who gives their child food...especially things like fish, tomatoes, meat, mayonnaise, etc...because, you know, they *could* die.

~Marie: Mom to DS(17), DS(16), DD(14), DD(10), DD(8) & someone new on the way.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#24 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 04:19 PM

Geez, so when I left my 4 kids in the car while I ran to pick up my food at the take-out window (I was parked 4 stalls from the window) is an arrestable offense? I should instead take my 4 kids out of their carseats and walk them through a parking lot next to a busy street and then walk back while juggling 5 bags of food? And that's somehow safer? :
#25 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 04:20 PM

wow! So according to that I can be persecuted,uh,prosecuted while I am unloading and loading all my kids into the car.Its a 10 minute process sometimes and at least one kid is alone for a couple of minutes.

me, herding 5 critters, several fish and two chickens DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10
#26 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
Geez, so when I left my 4 kids in the car while I ran to pick up my food at the take-out window (I was parked 4 stalls from the window) is an arrestable offense? I should instead take my 4 kids out of their carseats and walk them through a parking lot next to a busy street and then walk back while juggling 5 bags of food? And that's somehow safer? :
Don't get takeout, that would be somehow safer.

ETA: I guess to answer your question, we don't know if it's an arrestable offense because the article doesn't say what the law is.

Single mom of 2 boys
#27 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji'sMom View Post
Don't get takeout, that would be somehow safer.
Um, okay.
#28 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersmom View Post
wow! So according to that I can be persecuted,uh,prosecuted while I am unloading and loading all my kids into the car.Its a 10 minute process sometimes and at least one kid is alone for a couple of minutes.
According to what? I didn't see where the law was quoted in the article.

Single mom of 2 boys
#29 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji'sMom View Post
I never said "likely," why is that in quotes? The point is that every injury or death from being left in the car is COMPLETELY preventable, not like a freak power serge that you can't even anticipate. So was donating $8 to the salvation army (while it's sleeting outside because appearently it was so important that it couldn't wait), worth risking her child's life/health/safety even a tiny little bit? No, not worth it at all. For God's sake just go to the website and donate from the comfort of your own home if it's sleeting outside. Of course sometimes it might be unavoidable that you have to step out of the car for a minute, like some kind of emergency, but this wasn't a charity donation emergency, and therefore not worth it.

I have a feeling more kids die in car wrecks than from mom stepping 10 feet away to grab the mail or *gasp* donate to charity.

Thankfully I know how to put my car in park.

Quote:
Well OBVIOUSLY you should never leave your house!

We'll all burn in Hell, surely.
#30 of 141 Old 03-12-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
Um, okay.
What's with the eye roll? I was being honest, if the only way to get the takeout is to leave my kids in the car I would not get take out. That's the truth. Unless one of the kids is a teenager or something, but if they are all young I just would not do it, ever. And I also don't think parking closer makes it any safer than parking farther away or whatever. I'm not allowed to be honest if I don't agree with how you handled it? I didn't know that.

Single mom of 2 boys

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page