A Very Disturbing Story About a Pregnant Mother Who Died - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 03-21-2008, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://enews.earthlink.net/article/t...321-1766917758

Quote:
Banished to the basement, the 29-year-old mother with a childlike mind and another baby on the way had little more than a thin rug and a mattress to call her own on the chilly concrete floor.

Dorothy Dixon ate what she could forage from the refrigerator upstairs, where housemates used her for target practice with BBs, burned her with a glue gun and doused her with scalding liquid that peeled away her skin.

They torched what few clothes she had, so she walked around naked. They often pummeled her with an aluminum bat or metal handle.

Dixon - six months pregnant - died after weeks of abuse. Police have charged two adults, three teenagers and a 12-year-old boy with murder in the case that has repulsed many in this Mississippi River town.

"This is heartbreaking," police Lt. David Hayes said. "It was almost as though they were making fun of the abuse they were administering. This woman was almost like living in a prison."
:

I hope you and your baby are at peace now, Dorothy.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 39 Old 03-21-2008, 06:45 PM

dd1 4/7/05 dd2 8/22/07 and b/g twins born 5/23/10
#3 of 39 Old 03-21-2008, 07:03 PM

I saw this story somewhere else. I regret reading it.

I'm shocked and sickened.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#4 of 39 Old 03-21-2008, 07:12 PM

That poor mama and baby, I hope her son is placed in a loving and caring home.

Samanthawild.gif mama to 5 joy.gif                                                         

#5 of 39 Old 03-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Banned

Charge the adults, yeah. The 12 year old? Sigh, only in America.

(should not have read the link, did not need that in my head )

#6 of 39 Old 03-21-2008, 07:54 PM

That's one of the most disgusting things I've ever read.

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#7 of 39 Old 03-21-2008, 08:14 PM

Those people need to be completely removed from society. I don't know what to think about the 12 year old. That's some serious scarred for life stuff there, assuming he doesn't grow up sick and twisted as well.

Poor mama and her little babies

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#8 of 39 Old 03-21-2008, 08:22 PM

Holy *********************!!!!!! That poor woman and baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthea™ View Post
Those people need to be completely removed from society.
Oh yes indeed. :

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#9 of 39 Old 03-21-2008, 08:30 PM

What an outrage! The 12 year old and possibly the teens are all a victim of circumstances. I hope they do DNA on the baby. My gut feeling is that she was being raped by one of the housemates.
#10 of 39 Old 03-21-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Those people need to be completely removed from society. I don't know what to think about the 12 year old. That's some serious scarred for life stuff there, assuming he doesn't grow up sick and twisted as well.

Poor mama and her little babies
I agree. Ick so awful and horrific.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#11 of 39 Old 03-21-2008, 09:13 PM

Dear Lord.
When I hear stories like this, a little piece of me loses faith in mankind.

Sheila, mother to William and Min Hee, wife of David
#12 of 39 Old 03-21-2008, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's just horrifying and heartbreaking. I wonder if her 1yo was being abused too? What a horrible way to live and die.
#13 of 39 Old 03-21-2008, 10:10 PM

THere is no way the 12 yo should be charged... as much a victim as she was.
#14 of 39 Old 03-21-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
That's just horrifying and heartbreaking. I wonder if her 1yo was being abused too? What a horrible way to live and die.
Well he was only 15lbs so I would say he was at least being neglected, providing he was a full term healthy baby at birth.
#15 of 39 Old 03-21-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I agree.

I pray that child will go into a loving and nurturing home.

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#16 of 39 Old 03-21-2008, 10:23 PM

Oh my God... That is one of the most disturbing things I've read in my life.

I hope the baby removed from the house finds peace!

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
#17 of 39 Old 03-21-2008, 10:36 PM

Just when I think I can't read any stories that are more shocking to me - another one comes along.

It boggles my mind that people can act this way towards another human being - that somehow their psyches get so warped that they think its okay to act this way.

Becoming de-sensitized to violence is bad enough - treating another person like they're subhuman is tragic and horrifying.

I hope that Dorothy and the baby are at peace, and that her family can find some comfort, somehow, someway. I just don't think that there is any earthly justice available to remedy this tragedy.
#18 of 39 Old 03-21-2008, 11:07 PM

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#19 of 39 Old 03-21-2008, 11:14 PM

Speechless

::

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#20 of 39 Old 03-22-2008, 01:01 AM

I read it on CNN and I got the impression the main ringleader had been working at a community action agency designed to help the exact kind of person being enslaved and ultimately murdered. This poor woman was being victimized and her SSI taken away. Just so tragic and preventable in so many ways. As a society we have to start doing a better job looking out for "the least of these". It just really makes me wonder about some of the neighbors quoted who knew things were not right.
At least her suffering is over. I really pray the 1-year old is being surrounded by love right now.
#21 of 39 Old 03-22-2008, 01:45 AM

That's horrible. Unfortunately I think the 12 year old should be charged as well. Being a victim of an awful situation does not excuse participation in those kinds of atrocities. I'm glad the mama and babies are no longer suffering.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#22 of 39 Old 03-22-2008, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
This woman was almost like living in a prison
Hardly. In prison she would have had 3 square meals a day, clothing, and would have been protected from the kind of intense physical abuse she suffered. Not to diminish the suffering of inmates, but a even a good solid beating pales in comparison to being shot at with BB guns, doused in boiling water, and pummeled with metal bats. What they did was torture.
#23 of 39 Old 03-22-2008, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibana View Post
That's horrible. Unfortunately I think the 12 year old should be charged as well. Being a victim of an awful situation does not excuse participation in those kinds of atrocities. I'm glad the mama and babies are no longer suffering.
12 year olds have neither the mental nor physical resources to get out of this kind of situation, nor to get the adults around them to change their behaviour, assuming said *child* even knew that it was wrong. Who knows what they've been raised to believe is acceptable behaviour. Given how little we know about the situation before these events occured, it's possible the family's children were abused physically. They certainly were mentally, even if they had only witnessed the treatment of this poor woman.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#24 of 39 Old 03-22-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post
12 year olds have neither the mental nor physical resources to get out of this kind of situation, nor to get the adults around them to change their behaviour, assuming said *child* even knew that it was wrong. Who knows what they've been raised to believe is acceptable behaviour. Given how little we know about the situation before these events occured, it's possible the family's children were abused physically. They certainly were mentally, even if they had only witnessed the treatment of this poor woman.
I totally agree. I'm frankly disturbed that anyone could see him as anything but a victim.
#25 of 39 Old 03-22-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhqwhgads View Post
Hardly. In prison she would have had 3 square meals a day, clothing, and would have been protected from the kind of intense physical abuse she suffered. Not to diminish the suffering of inmates, but a even a good solid beating pales in comparison to being shot at with BB guns, doused in boiling water, and pummeled with metal bats. What they did was torture.
That...considering I have family who work in law enforcement, including 2 who are jailers...prison is nothing compared to that...

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#26 of 39 Old 03-22-2008, 10:49 PM

In a wierd way, that mama's death probably saved the life of her 15 month old son. If the mama had lived, both her and her son - and her new child - probably would have been subject to years of horrific torture and cruelty.

He will end up in a better place. He is in a better place. That's the silver lining.
#27 of 39 Old 03-22-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
This woman was almost like living in a prison
Indeed. I paused at the same point in the article. I can't help wondering how much understanding she had of what was happening to her. The article indicates that she was developmentally delayed, but not to what degree. I'm shocked that she was getting SS, via a payee, but no social service people were visiting her to check up on her and her child.

Vulnerable people like this woman are in real danger unless they have some people to protect them. I'm gonna guess that both of her pregnancies were the result of coerced sex. I continue to believe that the vast majority of people are good and kind, but damaged people with low motives know how to find people who can't defend themselves, and who have no one to help them.

computergeek2.gif

#28 of 39 Old 03-23-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post
Exactly.
#29 of 39 Old 03-23-2008, 01:23 AM

After reading this story, I think I need to take a long break from N&CE. Just when I think I heard/read it all, it just gets worse.

If she was developmentally delayed (the article doesn't say in what capacity) I'm not surprised if she was pregnant by rape.

This poor woman and child had such a horrible life. I'm just sick.
#30 of 39 Old 03-23-2008, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post
After reading this story, I think I need to take a long break from N&CE. Just when I think I heard/read it all, it just gets worse.

If she was developmentally delayed (the article doesn't say in what capacity) I'm not surprised if she was pregnant by rape.

This poor woman and child had such a horrible life. I'm just sick.
You know, I am really thinking the same thing. I really think that there's only so much horror I can read about before I become extremely depressed.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page