Mothering Forum banner

Carter Calls Sderot Attacks Criminal & Israel Won't Help Protect Carter

270 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  umsami 
#1 ·
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7346940.stm

Quote:
Mr Carter is a controversial figure in Israel. He has previously characterised Israeli policy in the Palestinian territories as a system of apartheid.

In Sderot, Mr Carter was shown a display of stacks of rockets that had fallen on or near the town.

"I'm obviously distressed to see this happen… I think it's a despicable crime for any deliberate effort to be made to kill innocent civilians. My hope is that there will be a ceasefire soon that will stop all this," Mr Carter said.
I think President Carter is one of the few who see both sides on the Israeli-Palestinian issue. Of course, many may disagree with me, but I think he is one of the few who truly wants peace.

#4 ·
Update to the visit..

Sources: Israel Refused to Guard Carter
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24107417/

Quote:
American sources close to the matter said the Shin Bet security service, which helps protect visiting dignitaries and is overseen by Olmert's office, declined to meet the head of Carter's Secret Service security detail or provide his team with assistance as is customary during such visits.

"They're not getting support from local security," an American source said.

Another source described the snub as an "unprecedented" breach between the Israeli Shin Bet and the U.S. Secret Service, which protects all current and former U.S. presidents, as well as Israeli leaders when they visit the United States.
They'll help guard Dubya, but not this guy?
:

Quote:
In an interview with the Israeli daily Haaretz published Monday, Carter said he intended to use the Mashaal meeting to press for the return of three Israeli soldiers captured by Hamas and the Lebanese Hezbollah militia. He said he would also try to get Hamas to accept a pan-Arab plan for peace with Israel.

"The most important single foreign policy goal in my life has been to bring peace to Israel, and peace and justice to Israel's neighbors. I have done everything I could in office and since I left office to do that," the paper quoted Carter as saying.

Israel and the United States have sought to isolate Hamas, which seized control of the Gaza Strip in June from more secular Fatah forces loyal to Abbas. Abbas holds sway in the occupied West Bank and has launched U.S.-backed peace talks with Olmert.

Hamas leaders have offered a long-term truce with Israel in return for a viable Palestinian state in the occupied West Bank and the Gaza Strip, but the group's 1988 founding charter calls for the destruction of the Jewish state.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.