Dental Clinics, Meeting a Need with No Dentist - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-29-2008, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think this is a fabulous idea...but it's not surprising that the Dentists are blocking it. My Mom's hygienist is actually a dentist from Brazil... but she couldn't afford to take the time to repeat dental school in the States (she's a single Mom)..so became a hygienist. She is fabulous...actually better than the "real" dentist.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/28/bu...dad&ei=5087%0A

Quote:
But to the Alaska Dental Society and the American Dental Association, the clinic is a place where the rules of dentistry are flouted daily. The dental groups object not because of any evidence that the clinic provides substandard care, but because it is run by Aurora Johnson, who is not a dentist. After two years of training in a program unique to Alaska, Ms. Johnson performs basic dental work like drilling and filling cavities.

Some dentists who specialize in public health, noting that 100 million Americans cannot afford adequate dental care, say such training programs should be offered nationwide. But professional dental groups disagree, saying that only dentists, with four years of postcollegiate education, should do work like Ms. Johnson’s. And while such arrangements are common outside the United States, only one American dental school, in Anchorage, offers such a program.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008, 12:59 AM

I think it's awesome! We have nurse midwives, not to mention direct entry midwives, and they do fabulously well. No reason to think these other highly trained professionals wouldn't do the same.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:02 AM

I don't know what the big deal is. When I would get fillings, the dentist would drill the hole, and the assistant would fill it. They do the cleaning too. If the assistant can be trained to drill what's the problem? Less money for the dentist? I mean, it's the reason why OBs are so against midwives, it takes money out of their pocket.

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :

User Tag List