http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...rom.dress.khou

What do you think of the dress?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2008, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Personally, I think the dress suffers a lot more from "ugly" than it does from "skimpy". Had I been in charge of the whole thing, I'd have just let it go--she could look back on it as a more mature person and regret the fact that she chose to wear such an ugly get-up, rather than get a thrill out of how she made national news because she wore something slightly more concealing than a bikini to a dance.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Banned

I expected to sympathize with her but ultimately she was handcuffed for not leaving peacefully when it was requested that she do so.

She needs to grow up. And yeah, that dress was FUGLY.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:50 PM

That's not a dress. Looks more like something you'd wear to the beach.
I can understand how the administration determined that outfit to be unacceptable attire for a school activity. I feel bad for her for getting handcuffed, though. Really, though, you'd think she (or her parents) would know better than to show up in an outfit like that!

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:51 PM

I think the dress was too skimpy, I'm not sure what they should have done about it but handcuffs are a bit extreme. That girl is gorgeous, too bad she feels like she needs to dress that way to get attention.

dd1 4/7/05 dd2 8/22/07 and b/g twins born 5/23/10
Old 05-12-2008, 03:54 PM

The camera man didn't show what the dress looked like when she demonstrated how her friends tried to wrap it around her.

The girl said that after she wrapped the dress around her and pinned it she still wasn't allowed in because (I think?) the lady said she had no underwear/bra underneath it.

I thought that was stupid. I mean, I would have to see it, but who cares if a kid is wearing a bra or not? a lot of prom dresses you can't really wear a "bra" with, and unless you're overly well endowed (like I am and was), and the girl wasn't, you don't really need one

I think she should have let the girl in after she wrapped and pinned the dress around herself. I think IF the dresses was sufficiently wrapped around her breast/belly area, they could have just let it go.

But I do agree that that dress was butt ugly, and I wouldn't be caught dead in it. It could have at least been a prettier color.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacroix View Post
I expected to sympathize with her but ultimately she was handcuffed for not leaving peacefully when it was requested that she do so.

Agreed. The dress was totally inappropriate for a high school prom.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Banned

She got led out in cuffs because she refused to leave. If she had left peacefully you can be sure that would not have happened. The whole thing screams drama queen. Suppose she got her wish. She made it to CNN.

ETA- the whole bra things bugs me. I never wear a bra because I quite frankly don't need one. Underwear too should not be deal breaker. In formal dresses it can look rather lame to have the outline of your unders showing.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:02 PM

I found another article about this:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....f2d846d8.html

and like gabysmom said, while the dress was butt ugly, she was able to pin it up, but they still wouldn't let her in? Because she wasn't wearing a bra? Were all girls checked to see if they had a bra? Were all guys frisked to see if they had underwear? No? Then I believe she should get a refund, and calling the police was really unnecessary.

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
Old 05-12-2008, 04:09 PM

I'm thinking the dress was so short that if she sat down, there's no way you couldn't see all the way to her Fallopian tubes. I'm guessing that's why she got the boot for no unders.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacroix View Post

:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusdebi View Post
Really, though, you'd think she (or her parents) would know better than to show up in an outfit like that!
From the quick shot I saw, the guidelines for acceptable attire were pretty specific. If both she AND her parents were stupid enough to try to jerk the system, well ... she took the chance, and she lost. Suck it up, girl.

I would be less concerned about a bra (although that dress has a lot of "whoopsie pop-out" potential), and more concerned that she'd had a Brazilian and was at least wearing something to cover her nether region underneath that extremely short shirt. When she was walking it scared me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthesmilingone View Post
The whole thing screams drama queen.
Basically.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
Old 05-12-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie9 View Post
I'm thinking the dress was so short that if she sat down, there's no way you couldn't see all the way to her Fallopian tubes. I'm guessing that's why she got the boot for no unders.
How did they know she had no panties? What if she was wearing a thong or gstring? Hopefully they didn't look up her skirt...

Old 05-12-2008, 04:15 PM

unattractive and skimpy--yes indeedy. I'm not surprised she didn't comply with the command to leave. Defiance is a part of adolescence. So is questionable judgment. I suppose part of her had to "save face" in front of her peers so refusing to leave was part of that as well.
I do some work in a high school and I can tell you that a lot of the parents pay for dresses like these. They don't see the problem. I've seen lots of pictures this year from students who have "designed" their own gowns *shuddering*!

ETA:After viewing the second video, there was a bit of overreaction by calling the police. Why didn't they call her mama and ask her to be picked up? She also tried to cover up and was refused admission. She deserves her money refunded!

afro.jpg
Old 05-12-2008, 04:17 PM

I was just coming to post this.
I think it was really inapproprieate.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
Old 05-12-2008, 04:17 PM

any links to the story that are print not video?
Old 05-12-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
any links to the story that are print not video?
My link has a small video but also has a print version.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:33 PM

Looks like the following was handed out. If she had an issue with the guidelines, she should have done something before hand. Something that might have been questionable (ie...is it ok for the sheer fabric to be *here*) should have been addressed earlier. However, it doesn't look like this was a fuzzy case of "well, is her slit 3 inches, or 3 1/8 inches"...after reading those guidelines, I don't see how anyone could think that dress was appropriate...

Failure to adhere to the following guidelines may result in you and your guest not being admitted to the prom:

1. Only one inch of the midsection can be shown
2. Bare backs are acceptable
3. Slits in the dresses can be no more than three inches above the knee
4. See through fabrics should not be in places which reveal private body parts
5. Proper undergarments must be worn
6. Tennis shoes of any kind are unacceptable.

Note: Please remember this is a black tie affair. Guidelines printed are for all guests in attendance

Prom attire will be checked upon entrance.

------------------------------------------
I have read and understand the above prom guidelines.
Name (please print)
Old 05-12-2008, 05:34 PM

well, if it's any indicator of how skimpy the dress is, i clicked on the link and my 3 yo asked if she's going to swim class.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:45 PM

I don't understand why she simply wasn't given a refund. Then, if she still wouldn't leave look into arrest.

I thought this rule was funny in context:

Quote:
3. Slits in the dresses can be no more than three inches above the knee
It doesn't say the dress *itself* can't be more than three inches above the knee.

I do wonder how well publicized the rules were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate~mom View Post
well, if it's any indicator of how skimpy the dress is, i clicked on the link and my 3 yo asked if she's going to swim class.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like the dress.

I think she should have made sure it adhered to her school's dress code if she didn't want trouble. (I'm actually all for pushing the limits of a "rule" I think is stupid/unjust/uneccesary. So maybe she could have pushed it a little bit if that was her deal.. I dunno.) Did she know the "rules" well?

I think arresting her is kind of stupid.

An article on the situation from www.khou.com

Quote:
"Even after offering to provide more cover, Taylor was denied access to the final soiree of the school year."
Hmmm....

Oh and the "no tennis shoes" rule is really stupid IMO.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 05-12-2008, 06:00 PM

And who is defining "proper undergarments"? And how precisely are they checking?
Old 05-12-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
I don't understand why she simply wasn't given a refund. Then, if she still wouldn't leave look into arrest.

I thought this rule was funny in context:

It doesn't say the dress *itself* can't be more than three inches above the knee.

I do wonder how well publicized the rules were.

Lookslike they had to sign the rules when they bought tickets. And thats the way it was when I went to prom in 98. If you signed the rules, bought your tickets and then were either unable to attend or broke a rule you did NOT get a refund. Breaking a rule that students have to agree to when getting tickets should not be grounds for a refund. Its called consequences and getting ready for the real world.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:12 PM

Well rules say no more than an inch of your midsection can be showing.

I'm pretty sure her dress violated that. It looks like she had to sign the rules to get her tickets, so I can't imagine she didn't know.

Taking her away in handcuffs was certainly a bit much, though, and if she was willing to wrap it up or cover herself to meet the rules,she should've been allowed it.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegirl View Post
She also tried to cover up and was refused admission. She deserves her money refunded!
I disagree. She knew the guidelines and deliberately chose to thumb her nose at them. That's a dealbreaker IMO.

And that's exactly why I agree with them not admitting her even after pinning the dress to "cover up". She broke the rules, and she was refused admittance. I don't think that's wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine233 View Post
Lookslike they had to sign the rules when they bought tickets. And thats the way it was when I went to prom in 98. If you signed the rules, bought your tickets and then were either unable to attend or broke a rule you did NOT get a refund. Breaking a rule that students have to agree to when getting tickets should not be grounds for a refund. Its called consequences and getting ready for the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
Oh and the "no tennis shoes" rule is really stupid IMO.
ITA. WTH is up with that??????

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
Old 05-12-2008, 06:25 PM

The dress was tacky as hell. I would have sent her behind home too without a refund. Get some class. Jeez. They shouldn't have led her away in handcuffs, though. Somehow, though, I knew it would be a Black girl this video was about. She's beautiful though.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
Old 05-12-2008, 06:34 PM

I didn't know that she was given specific dress code information so I retract my statement about her being given a refund!

afro.jpg
Old 05-12-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoablessing View Post
Agreed. The dress was totally inappropriate for a high school prom.
The whole time I was thinking, "Why would her parents let her go out in that dress?" As parents they should have known that was inappropriate even if they didn't see the rules.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:16 PM

Awesome. When do I get MY 15 minutes?

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
The whole time I was thinking, "Why would her parents let her go out in that dress?" As parents they should have known that was inappropriate even if they didn't see the rules.

I kinda like the dress so I wouldn't have a huge issue with it. I'd likely have gone into the repercussions of wearing it to the prom, asked if she knew the dress code crap, etc. But wearing period? Not necessarily prohibited or anything.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 05-12-2008, 07:23 PM

The link that I posted was inappropriate and negative and has been respectfully removed.

ETA- Where the hell was her mother? Did no one see that girl traipse out the door like that?

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)

User Tag List