Mothering Forum banner

^Warning... upsetting, disturbing, sorrowful news article

765 views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  theretohere 
#1 ·
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081102/...s4BDqkxUes0NUE

No quote, if you click the link then you can't get mad at me for not warning enough...

I usually don't post these kinds of stories but it disturbed me so much... I just don't understand... Obviously something mentally wrong but what, why would someone do something like this? And the older boy... the most heartbreaking sentence I ever read was him describing what happened... I just can't imagine a child living through that...
:

See less See more
#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
I'm thinking post-partum depression/psychosis?

I don't know. It sounds like maybe she was angry and blaming the children for the earlier accident. I mean, I can understand being angry with them. I've pulled my van over and had a pretty stern talking with my children about fighting in the car and me needing to be able to focus on the traffic. However, to take it to that extreme? I hope I'm wrong. The thought that went into it beforehand - unbelievable. Those poor children.
(Of course, it's hard to know exactly WHAT her reasoning was from a short news article.)

#6 ·
I don't know why, but my impression was that the accident was an attempt to kill the children and herself.

I could be way off, but it just struck me that way. Maybe she chickened out the next time when it came to killing herself?

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
I don't know why, but my impression was that the accident was an attempt to kill the children and herself.

I could be way off, but it just struck me that way. Maybe she chickened out the next time when it came to killing herself?
That's what I thought too. Her first attempt didn't work, so she planned a second. If she was that ill, I can't imagine how nobody noticed.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChattyCat View Post
That's what I thought too. Her first attempt didn't work, so she planned a second. If she was that ill, I can't imagine how nobody noticed.
You'd be surprised how people hide their thoughts and feelings when they're planning something. I think that's one of the things that haunts survivors of tragedies, that feeling of I should have known.

My dh's previous wife made a successful suicide attempt after years of supposedly helpful psychiatric intervention. He has so much guilt about the 'I should have known,' and so much anger at the people who were 'helping' her, it's unreal.

#16 ·
It is obvious this mother had severe mental problems.

Here in WA a few months ago a woman suffering from PPD/PPP killed her 3 children and herself. So heartbreaking and tragic.

That poor baby, and the poor son, how horrific for him.

#17 ·
I also thought the ar accident sounded like a first suicide attempt. What a horrible situation for them all (the mother, the son, and their family) to have to live with now.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeca View Post
The fact that she planned the thing in advance and planned to blame someone else makes me think it wasn't PPD. Not saying that there isn't something "off" with her there could be.

Something would definitely have to be "off" for a mother to kill her child. I'm curious to know if her husband had any inkling she might have been having some "issues". Men can be so freaking clueless about those things. I'm being reminded of Rusty Yates.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.