AFP Testing - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 11-21-2008, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post
yeah, I guess I was thinking of Trisomy's (18, is it?) where they can live for a little while perhaps after birth, but not long. I have already suffered one miscarriage, so I know grieving will always be with me, but I tend to think that losing the pregnancy earlier (even by choice) is easier than later.

but yes, I hope none of need to deal w/ these questions!
Yes, its trisomy 18 that you're thinking of. 50% of babies with trisomy 18 are still born and less than 10% of babies born with it will make it to their first birthday, although there are some who live into their 20's and 30's but will have serious developmental delays. That is the one I really struggle with.

To the OP...if you are positive that you would terminate because of DS then just getting one test is not going to be the final answer. Getting a "negative" result with both the NT scan and the AFP (or quad screen-same test) together would indicate that there is a very low chance of your child having it. However, if either one is "positive" then you will have to face further testing to be sure (either CVS or amnio.) If it is something you are really worried about, you can get the CVS done at 11-12 weeks to (almost) completely rule it out (there's like a less than 1% chance of the test missing DS), but the test does increase your chance of miscarriage. SO I guess you have to weigh which is "worse"-the possibility of a false positive on the AFP which would lead to more testing (and stress) and possibly the CVS or amnio, or getting the CVS first and the increased risk of m/c. Although from the reading I've done there is no clear consensus on how much it increases the risk. Either way, hugs to you as there is no clear cut easy answer here-very personal choice.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#32 of 48 Old 11-21-2008, 01:19 PM

It's funny, I just had the NT scan Wednesday, and consented to the bloodwork, but I never was worried about chromosomal problems AND we wouldn't terminate anyways. Right when we were beginning treatment for the recurring miscarriage, the same practice did a fairly in-depth query on me and the DH to determine if we had an increased risk-- the family histories and blood work on us both. They decided that we were at a very low risk for any of that stuff, based on the blood work, our histories, my age, et al. Basically whatever is causing my miscarriages is me, not the embryos themselves. (Bad body! BAD!) So it was kind of funny that they still wanted to do all this, but I guess it's just their procedure.

For the ultrasound, wild horses couldn't keep me from it, with my history... this is the first time out of 5 pregnancies that we ever got to 12 weeks. I didn't care about neck fluid, I just wanted to see the heartbeat, and the hands and feet and all that. For the bloodwork, I guess I could have refused but it was no problem to get the needle stick and I'm just not used to refusing stuff yet. (Need to work on that for later!) I mean if they had to do something to the Little Passenger that would be different, but they can take all my blood that they need, I don't care.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#33 of 48 Old 11-21-2008, 01:23 PM

I always turn down the testing because I would never terminate a pregnancy, especially not over something like downs.

Emily Wife to Luke and Mama to: Violet 9-20-05 Fletcher 12-20-07 : and Owen 7-03-09
#34 of 48 Old 11-21-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuaghua View Post
I always turn down the testing because I would never terminate a pregnancy, especially not over something like downs.
I wouldn't, either, but I would want to know as far ahead of time as possible, to prepare myself... mentally, emotionally, physically.

#35 of 48 Old 11-21-2008, 01:56 PM

I just declined this at my appt. on Wednesday and my midwife's response was "Good!". She said there are way too many false positives and it's a really sucky test.

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#36 of 48 Old 11-21-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonglowmama View Post
My understanding of the NT is that it too has a high false-positive rate, which if you get one would likely lead to an amnio and afp testing. Not to mention the stress of it all.

I had a daughter with a neural tube defect and I'm opting not to do the NT. The truth of the matter is that if you wouldn't abort, then getting shaky information (or even good and reliable information) early on will likely have a negative impact on your pregnancy, and on you. Those things always show up at some point anyway, so why borrow trouble? We found out about my daughter's anencephaly at 31 weeks; she was born at 33 weeks. We had enough time to process, make plans for her birth and burial and then enjoy the time we had left with her. But I wouldn't want to know early on-- I'd rather bond completely.
These are my reasons exactly! I can't imagine aborting because of Down Syndrome. I already love my baby no matter how he/she turns out. I have a wonderful cousin with Down Syndrome. Other than having a learning disability, he lives a pretty normal life. He has to keep a close eye on his bp, but he's fine. I don't think of him as being less of a human being, and I think he deserved to live just as much as his twin sister who doesn't have Down Syndrome.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#37 of 48 Old 11-21-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelsMommy View Post
These are my reasons exactly! I can't imagine aborting because of Down Syndrome. I already love my baby no matter how he/she turns out. I have a wonderful cousin with Down Syndrome. Other than having a learning disability, he lives a pretty normal life. He has to keep a close eye on his bp, but he's fine. I don't think of him as being less of a human being, and I think he deserved to live just as much as his twin sister who doesn't have Down Syndrome.
:

I know its partly the hormones, but I cried initially at the thought of someone aborting for that reason alone.

*sigh*

Emily Wife to Luke and Mama to: Violet 9-20-05 Fletcher 12-20-07 : and Owen 7-03-09
#38 of 48 Old 11-21-2008, 06:28 PM

While I personally wouldn't consider terminating for DS (although I might for Trisomy 18), I don't think it's fair to judge others for that decision. Some people may not have the emotional or financial wherewithal to care for a child with special needs. I have a good friend whose sister has rather severe DS. Her parents (and she) went through a LOT and sacrificed a lot to help the sister with her unique medical and educational needs. While they don't regret it, I don't know if it's something everyone is up to.

Happy mama to DD (8-11-05) and DS (6-5-09) and married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01.
#39 of 48 Old 11-21-2008, 07:42 PM

I didn't say I was judging, I thought I had just as much right to my opinion as those who think aborting a child with DS is ok.

I'm sorry, but killing off those with a disability scares the crap out of me. Where will we stop? What about deaf or blind babies?

What if a baby is born fine, then is in some kind of accident and needs round the clock care like the child with DS you described, and the family isn't "up to it?" What then?

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#40 of 48 Old 11-21-2008, 07:55 PM

I can't answer all your questions, Erin. I was merely commenting that it's not fair to be judgmental on this topic because some of the other posts made me feel badly for the OP. Like I said, I don't personally agree with terminating a pregnancy for DS but I try to understand those who say they would.

I can't see considering terminating for anything but something like Trisomy 18 - where the poor babies almost never live to see their first birthdays - but even then I'm not sure what I'd do.

Happy mama to DD (8-11-05) and DS (6-5-09) and married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01.
#41 of 48 Old 11-21-2008, 08:01 PM

Getting the AFP test can actually save the fetus's life in some cases. A high AFP in the absence of a neural tube defect can be the first sign of a blood clotting disorder in the mother (they sometimes only show up in pregnancy); which means that the placenta might have trouble transferring blood after a certain point (~24 weeks), which means NSTs and possibly blood thinners would be needed. If I hadn't had the AFP test with my first pregnancy, which ended in late miscarriage, I would not have had enough information to know that I should take blood thinners in my second pregnancy; as it was I was able to have a healthy second pregnancy.

ETA that usually is only an issue for FTMs and mothers with a history of unexplained miscarriage; if you have had a healthy pregnancy and no miscarriages before, you can be pretty sure that you don't have blood clotting problems that would affect pregnancy.
#42 of 48 Old 11-22-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
Getting the AFP test can actually save the fetus's life in some cases. A high AFP in the absence of a neural tube defect can be the first sign of a blood clotting disorder in the mother (they sometimes only show up in pregnancy); which means that the placenta might have trouble transferring blood after a certain point (~24 weeks), which means NSTs and possibly blood thinners would be needed. If I hadn't had the AFP test with my first pregnancy, which ended in late miscarriage, I would not have had enough information to know that I should take blood thinners in my second pregnancy; as it was I was able to have a healthy second pregnancy.

ETA that usually is only an issue for FTMs and mothers with a history of unexplained miscarriage; if you have had a healthy pregnancy and no miscarriages before, you can be pretty sure that you don't have blood clotting problems that would affect pregnancy.

Wow- never thought of that. Thanks for shedding some light in a different direction.

AFM I'm having the test on Wednesday. I'm honestly worried about it because I'm 34. I'll still be 34 when I have the baby, so my dr said that was okay (since 35 is the cut-off).

It's a hard call to make, intensely personal- and in all accounts, SCARY for those who are faced with the moral and personal "What would you do" conversation. My husband and I had round one of the "What would we do in certain circumstances" conversation and my hormones just couldn't handle it. I literally had to say "I can't talk about this right now, we'll have to do it later when I can emotionally handle it." And over he came to hold and hug me.

I *am* looking forward to the detailed U/S. Any chance to see my little baby is exciting. It just makes me smile.

Ahhhh so sappy.

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
#43 of 48 Old 11-24-2008, 11:39 AM

It is such a personal choice and for me, we are foregoing any testing as well as any u/s. I have no reason to believe that anything would be wrong (I have had three healthy pregnancies before this one) and am completely comfortable with this decision. I personally would not want to know before hand anyways. Oh and FWIW, I did not do any testing with my previous children either (although I did have u/s with them).

Tanya, wife to my best friend momma to Blake 2/02, Jacob 5/04, Parker 12/05 and MaKenna : 6/09
#44 of 48 Old 12-01-2008, 05:17 AM

What is the window for the NT and these tests? I'm 12w already and I see the genetic counselor on Wednesday and I'm afraid I'm too far along already?

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#45 of 48 Old 12-03-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMommy View Post
What is the window for the NT and these tests? I'm 12w already and I see the genetic counselor on Wednesday and I'm afraid I'm too far along already?
If you are going to do the NT scan, now is the time to do it. I had mine at 13 weeks.

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
#46 of 48 Old 12-03-2008, 02:50 PM

I got the call last week that all the first-trimester bloodwork came back normal... I forgot to tell DH about it because honestly, I wasn't worried at all about chromosomal stuff (more in the alive-not alive stage still) and didn't think he was either. After all, they'd already prescreened our chromosomes during the infertility testing, AND we'd already passed the NT test with flying colors. When I finally told DH it turned out he'd been worrying about why it was taking so long to get the results, and had been secretly worried about his genetic material. I had no idea, poor guy.

#47 of 48 Old 12-03-2008, 06:23 PM

I had my NT scan today, it went well and it was awesome to see the baby so much! I also did part of the Integrated Screening, I do the 2nd part when I go back at 18 weeks for another scan (the level 2 u/s.)

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#48 of 48 Old 12-04-2008, 09:02 PM

I had my NT yesterday with blood work and will have more blood work done in a few weeks. I am 36 and if these results screen me as "positive" I will have an amnio. I'd want to know if my child has Down's and then together with my DH we'd make the decision as far as what to do.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page