How Much Weight Have you Gained? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've seen a # of threads about mamas not gaining (or losing instead) weight but am curious also how many pounds some of you have gained so far. I'm about 15.5 weeks (16 weeks if you ask my CP) and am up 6 pounds. Which is cool with me, just curious. This is my second pregnancy and my uterus is moving up and out fast!

I'm rather petite to begin with though.

Happy mama to DD (8-11-05) and DS (6-5-09) and married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 09:36 AM

I'm thin, and was lucky enough to start this pregnancy 14 lbs lighter than last time (I had some MBA weight on me when I got pregnant last time!), but I've gained about 7.5 so far, but I'm only 12.5 weeks. A little more than I might like, but I also know it's totally normal. My fear simply comes from the fact that I gained 48 lbs last time - and a ton of it water weight. I don't want to gain more than I need to, but I also think that as long as you're eating well, taking care of yourself and staying active, your body gains what it needs to, so I try to remind myself of that!

SAHM CrossFitting mama to DS (6) and DD (3) and surprise #3 due in September!  winner.jpg familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36*heartbeat.gif*40**

#3 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 10:06 AM

i'm 14w1d and have actually gained 5-6 lbs. with my fourth baby. i am overweight to begin with, so i probably shouldn't have gained quite that much, but i'm not obsessing over it. i was measuring big yesterday at the mw (about 2-3 weeks ahead) and have no idea if that has anything to do with it or if instead it's just my ravenous pregnant self taking advantage of the holidays.

busy mama to four
: : : :
#4 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 10:17 AM

Last pregnancy I lost nearly 20 in the first trimester and didn't start gaining until after week 20 or so. I was vomiting multiple times a day. This time I have the nausea, but eating makes it go away. So I've gained 3 pounds and I'm 13 weeks today. I'm 40 pounds overweight to start with, so I am really going to make an effort to slow the gain once I start feeling better and have energy to get moving and healthier food choices are more appealing.

I actually lost the baby weight very easily last time, so that's not as much my concern. I'm just heavy to start with and don't want to be any more uncomfortable at the end than I need to be.
#5 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 10:23 AM

as of 14w, 1d i had gained 3 lbs. i am 15 weeks today. i did have rather bad nausea, and i had times where i just didn't eat as well.
#6 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 10:29 AM

i don't get on the scale much but at my 15 wk appointment last week i had lost 3 pounds. definitely NOT on purpose, but i had stopped eating meat because it was grossing me out and was eating a ton of fruit and salads.

i am a tad overweight and my bump is growing so i'm not too worried about it. i gained 70 pounds with DS and am trying to keep it at more like 25 this time around for VBAC purposes.
#7 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 10:36 AM

at 13 weeks i have gained 6 pounds, but i am small to begin with. i am eating every hour or so to curb nausea and throw up about 4 times a night. my midwife said a lot of the weight is fluids and that i will lose it once i start feeling better. i gained 60 pounds in my first pregnancy, which was okay, but i'm trying not to go that route again. we'll see...
#8 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I guess so far I win... As of last week, I had gained 13 lbs! I've been averaging a lb per week. And this week it might be more, as I ate a LOT last weekend. Baby had a growth spurt, I think!

Last pregnancy, I gained 35 lbs (got to 37 weeks), so I seem to be following a similar weight gain pattern.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#9 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 10:53 AM

I actually don't weigh myself (previous eating disorder issues) but I'm guessing 0-5lbs given that my clothes all fit the same and I am not showing at all. I am 15.5wks.

But, I am very muscular and so pretty heavy for my height (160ish at 5'6) though so I could probably gain a bit without noticing right away. So I guess maybe it could be more than that. I won't know! I'd obsess about numbers too much. Ill just keep active and eat healthy and see what happens.

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#10 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 11:04 AM

I had lost a pound at my last appointment. I have not stepped on the scale. But I am guessing 5-6 pounds by next appointment. I am over weight to begin with. I am 15 weeks today.

Shawna!! DH Kevin, DD Kaelen (12) DS Drew (10), Sam and Jocelyn 11 months and TTC!!
#11 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 11:12 AM

I have gained between 4 and 6 pounds depending on whose scale you look at (either mine or the doctor's). I seem to average between 30 and 35 pounds with each pregnancy. The most I ever gained was about 40 with my fourth child who weighed 10 lbs and 12 oz at birth. I guess that extra weight was him : )
#12 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 11:30 AM

I'll be 14 weeks tomorrow, and I'm up about five pounds. I've pretty much decided to give the scale a rest though. I can't stop eating and it's making me paranoid.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#13 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 11:31 AM

I am 15w3d and I have only gained 2 lbs. Nausea was super bad this time around and is still affecting me in the evenings.

Tanya, wife to my best friend momma to Blake 2/02, Jacob 5/04, Parker 12/05 and MaKenna : 6/09
#14 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 11:35 AM

At my 12 week appointment I had gained 3 pounds, but I think in the last 2 weeks despite not feeling well I have started gaining more!
#15 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 11:50 AM

At 14 weeks, 4 days I'm up about 5 lbs. Most of that has been in the last 3 weeks. I'm not overly concerned about how much I gain, I just wish I'd start looking more pregnant and less fat!

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#16 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 12:20 PM

I don't like to weigh myself either, because I can obsess, but at my last M/W appointment, I had gained about 10 pounds at about 14 weeks (not too sure where I started). I tend to gain a lot at first and nothing the last trimester.
#17 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 12:21 PM

I've lost 4lbs, but I'm overweight to begin with. I'm really eating totally healthy to keep my weight gain low, so far it's working.

Mom to 4, & a Baby Girl in Heaven 01/2009. Missing my New Angel 12/2009
#18 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 12:30 PM

Man. I'm 16 weeks and up maybe 10 pounds. Haven't thrown up in ages but my appetite is ALL there. I'm really not too worried about it at this point, though.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#19 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 12:35 PM

Depending on whose scale you ask, I've gained 4-6 pounds. Although I haven't weighed myself in a couple days...
#20 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic-mama View Post
I've lost 4lbs, but I'm overweight to begin with. I'm really eating totally healthy to keep my weight gain low, so far it's working.
This is me exactly. I DO NOT want to gain 75 pounds like with my first, 45 like with my second, 40 like with my 3rd, and did better with my last at about 35. I am starting bigger than I started any of the rest of mine. So I know I can gain less and am trying to eat healthy. I cut the soda out the day I found out I was preggo(for obvious reasons) and I am sure that will do wonders. Plus, I have been SO nauseas and it is really hard for me to eat. NOTHING sounds good to me.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#21 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 01:49 PM

I believe I am up 5-6 pounds at 14 weeks.

Emily Wife to Luke and Mama to: Violet 9-20-05 Fletcher 12-20-07 : and Owen 7-03-09
#22 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 02:06 PM

I'm 15 weeks and judging by my friend's scale I'm down 6 or 7 pounds. I've had borderline hyperemesis for most of this pregnancy, but I've stopped barfing most of my food for the past few weeks. However, I somewhat recently got put on metformin, a side effect of which is supposed to be weight loss. Perhaps that's why I'm dropping?

I definitely have a bump though, and by every indication the babe's healthy. Oddly enough, I don't have much of an appetite.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#23 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 02:32 PM

I think I have gained about 10-12 pounds at 16 weeks. I am normally pretty average weight. I had my first baby in the UK and the midwife there never weighed me during the pregnancy, and we didn't have a scale either so I weighed myself occasionally when we went to my in-laws' house. I think I gained a total of 35 or so. I lost it easily over 6-9 months with nursing.

Jessica, Wife to Owen (6/7/03), mom to Amina (9/20/06) : and Colm (5/30/09) :

#24 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyakanyasko View Post
I think I have gained about 10-12 pounds at 16 weeks. I am normally pretty average weight. I had my first baby in the UK and the midwife there never weighed me during the pregnancy, and we didn't have a scale either so I weighed myself occasionally when we went to my in-laws' house. I think I gained a total of 35 or so. I lost it easily over 6-9 months with nursing.
I love that idea! We are so obsessed with weight gain during pregnancy. I realize that overall, the US has a huge health problem with obesity, but why to pregnant mothers get more scrutiny than everyone else? I am pretty much sure I'll gain 35-40 pounds, just like I did with DD and DS (who were both under 8 pounds). And then, chances are, my baby will be an avid nurser, and I will be back down to my pre-pregnancy weight (whatever that is) in 4-6 months.

Sorry about the rant--I have just been really annoyed lately by comments about weight gain in pregnancy and by magazine covers that talk about celebrities who are back in a size 2 by the time baby is one month old.
#25 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 02:42 PM

I have lost 10 lbs, which is weird, because I haven't thrown up, just been very nauseated, until like, this last Sunday. I am 14 wks 3 days and pretty average weight. I am finally seeing an end to the nausea, which is excellent, though I wouldn't say my appetite has returned. But at least things don't sound bad and I am not gagging all the time.

We will see how this progresses. This pregnancy has been really weird compared to my others.

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#26 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 02:55 PM

I'm 14 weeks and have gained 10-12 pounds. It was kind of crazy near the beginning- I wouldn't eat anything all weekend because I was so nauseous, and I'd still gain 2 pounds somehow. But I can still wear my regular pants, though it's getting tight!

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#27 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 03:01 PM

rivkah: begin rant: The US does NOT have a huge problem with obesity; it's a pile of b.s. I was officially "fat" when I wore a size 8, borderline obese at a size 10, and now at a size 12 I'm officially well into obese. They've decided that anyone larger than skinny is obese (seriously) and that it's better for people to starve themselves rather than have any body fat whatsoever. Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but not much. I'd LITERALLY have to starve myself to lose any weight, and I refuse. If you want to check out my belly pics to see what an "obese" person looks like, go ahead. No one in their right mind would call me fat.

In fact, research has proven that "overweight" (over WHAT weight?) people have an easier time recovering from any trauma, whether it's surgery, heart disease, what have you. And most of the so-called diseases of being a disgusting fatty fat fatty are either totally genetic in nature (correlation does not equal causation) or a normal part of aging (heart disease in 60 year olds anyone?)

Also, did you know that fully 1/3 of Type II diabetics are skinny? As in, not obese. As in, Type II Diabetes is not a disease of the fatty fat fatties who are too disgusting they should be barred from public (proposed law in Mississippi this summer to disallow fat people from eating in public), but something else entirely.

Under a new proposal (can't find the source, sorry),'They' say someone my 'size' should lose weight in pregnancy, and due to the fact of my size I'm getting calls from my insurance company diagnosing me with 'metabolic syndrome' even though I don't meet one single criteria for it. Not one!

And shockingly, there is rather little correlation between calories and body size. I know that personally I have no control whatsoever over my weight. I've eaten pretty much the same since I hit age 20, and I went from a size 4 (got there through an eating disorder) to a size 12, somehow. And now that I'm pregnant and not at all trying, I'm losing weight faster than I have in my adult life.

/rant

As an obese pregnant woman (again, for a view of 'obesity' check out my belly pics) I know I can't find any decent information about eating habits, weight gain or loss and how that effects my health and that of my child as the political climate says that I should do whatever I can to lose weight, no matter what, and not gain while gestating. The AMA, I believe, and if not them some other professional doctor organization, wants to change the guidelines for what obese women "should" gain in pregnancy to loss, and normal women down to no more than 20 pounds. I'm somewhat concerned that I'm losing weight, and i know it's NOT normal for where I am in pregnancy, but no doctor will actually deal with the reality because all they see is my weight and that weight loss = good. That scares me a lot.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#28 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 03:03 PM

I am 14w4d and am up 3 pounds total. I lost a couple early on from everything turning my stomach. I started out at a totally normal weight and am showing, so I'm not too concerned about not gaining much... but secretly I wish it was more (sometimes).
#29 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 03:07 PM

I think that I am about 8 pounds heavier than pre-TTC weight. And at my appointment yesterday, I lost a pound!! Woo-hoo! I'm already overweight to begin with. I just started drinking lots of water. Cut out the juice. That's what spiked my weight gain at first. My dr. cautioned me about the amount of sugar in juice. I had no idea. It made a lot of difference in 4 weeks!

My dr said, "I really like your weight!"

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
#30 of 78 Old 12-17-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
And shockingly, there is rather little correlation between calories and body size. I know that personally I have no control whatsoever over my weight. I've eaten pretty much the same since I hit age 20, and I went from a size 4 (got there through an eating disorder) to a size 12, somehow. And now that I'm pregnant and not at all trying, I'm losing weight faster than I have in my adult life.

/rant

As an obese pregnant woman (again, for a view of 'obesity' check out my belly pics) I know I can't find any decent information about eating habits, weight gain or loss and how that effects my health and that of my child as the political climate says that I should do whatever I can to lose weight, no matter what, and not gain while gestating. The AMA, I believe, and if not them some other professional doctor organization, wants to change the guidelines for what obese women "should" gain in pregnancy to loss, and normal women down to no more than 20 pounds. I'm somewhat concerned that I'm losing weight, and i know it's NOT normal for where I am in pregnancy, but no doctor will actually deal with the reality because all they see is my weight and that weight loss = good. That scares me a lot.
Wow! I'm sorry you are going through this! I can't believe size 12 would ever be considered obese (even if you were only 4 feet tall which you are obviously not!). That's ridiculous your insurance company and doctor are giving you a hard time about this. I wish more healthcare providers could look at individual women and see individual women, rather than textbook ideals or whatever.

Jessica, Wife to Owen (6/7/03), mom to Amina (9/20/06) : and Colm (5/30/09) :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page