What have you bought/made for the baby so far? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-16-2009, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm making a monkey quilt for the baby. We're decorating the nursery in monkeys, green and tan. But the quilt will be a little more girlie- more feminine prints for the monkey tummies and block backgrounds.

We'll see how that goes. It's only the second one I've made.

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2009, 03:56 PM

This is not our first babe, so we don't need much I don't think. I will order the diaper service closer to June and I want to have a few slings/carriers since I didn't wear DS. Other than that, I don't think I need to buy anything. This babe will wear t-shirts and diapers since it's WARM in June and if he/she's anything like his/her brother- the spitting up will be constant. No way am I doing cute clothes that I need to change every 5 minutes

Now, I was under prepared for my own recovery last time and will be spending some time and money getting the essentials together. Freezing cold packs/pads for the swelling, sitz bath or other healing salts to soak in, nursing bras, lanolin, etc.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post

Now, I was under prepared for my own recovery last time and will be spending some time and money getting the essentials together. Freezing cold packs/pads for the swelling, sitz bath or other healing salts to soak in, nursing bras, lanolin, etc.
Good point. I was also very under-prepared for recovery too, and this time I plan to stock my kitchen with easy foods and have a freezer stash. PLUS I plan to "charge admission" to see the new babe- a hot meal.

Maybe that sounds bad, but I was HUNGRY for about 3 weeks because of recovery and BFing all the time.. then dealing with plugged ducts, engorgement, and mastitis... I needed help.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 01-16-2009, 05:25 PM

I had NEVER thought of those recovery-type things.

Can ya tell this is my first??!?

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
Old 01-16-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclady View Post
I really would like a sling or comparable carrier. I dont' want to fool with toting a car seat everywhere! Those things are wicked heavy!

I am excited to find out that we have a "Once Upon a Child" store in our town! I thought we didn't have one, but saw a commercial last night on tv. We have one beside each mall. Hip hip hooray!! Now I don't have to pay full price!

Also- dumb question- I have seriously debated the CD/Pamper route.... do you use a diaper cover for disposables, or is that why they are plastic on the outside? And another dumb question- for those CD lovers.... are they hard to make, are they hard to use, and how do you make them? :
Once Upon a Child is still a little spendy, IMO. I tend to wait for their sales. You can sign up for their emails. I like yardsales better, and you can negotiate. We'll have May to yardsale, and the rest of the summer. Well, I don't need to get anything if we have a girl, and if it's a boy, I'm okay clothes-wise for at least the first three months. Well, I do easy, onesies and gowns, I loooooove gowns for ease of changing diapers, and with a toddler, shew, I don't need any more work. I hardly dressed my DD, was hard-pressed to get her in all the outfits we were given that I liked, there were some I just gave away. It is really easy to get too many clothes. I seriously need to sort the stuff she's in now. I found I dress her in the things that have matching tops and bottoms and easy on and off (hardly any jeans), and other stuff just sits.

I have a bucket, but plan on BWing a lot more early. I hope DD gets better at walking with us and doesn't need to be carried as much.

CDs are soooo wonderful. It is really easy, it depends on what style of diaper you like best. I would suggest getting on DiaperSwappers forum and getting one or two of AIOs, PFs, pocket diapers, fitted and cover. Or find a mama close to you who has a stash. I started with pfs, figured it was cheapest, and found I didn't like the Prowraps covers I got. I think my DD just didn't have chubby enough legs. They never have fit. I found by trial and error that I love laying a pf folded inside of a Fuzzibunz. I am too cheap to buy enough FBs for them to poop, but you can take out the pf and reuse the cover. I alternate a couple of covers a day and let one air out. I also don't like how many covers are plasticy on the inside, FBs have the fleece. I also like using fleece pants/covers over fitteds and have made two darling skirties from Katrina's Sew Quick Soaker. I don't sew much, but these are super easy to make. I use Old Navy fleece pants, they work great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post
So far I haven't bought anything, but have already been given a lot. This is our first baby, first grandbaby on one side, and first great-grandbaby on one side. So I figure people will want to buy us a lot of stuff!
The one thing I'm not sure what to do about is diapers. I want to CD, but they will be a difficult thing to register for unless I just want Gerber prefolds. I've also been given advice not to buy too many of the same kind until the baby is here, so I can figure out which type fits him best. Any advice about this would be appreciated.
We got more than we could use!
You could simply say you are buying diapers, and people could designate money for them. CDs are sooo much less $$$$$ than disposables.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
Old 01-16-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I had NEVER thought of those recovery-type things.

Can ya tell this is my first??!?
Yea, I was totally prepared for the labor and baby, but not so much ME and life afterward

I recall going shopping for bras 4 days pp. It was awful. I was soooo sore, hated walking for any length of time and then having to try on BRAS?? Not this time. No way!!
Old 01-16-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
CDs are sooo much less $$$$$ than disposables.
Yes, they can be! Unless you go crazy on hyena cart. Not that I know anyone who has ever done that.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:41 PM

I was super intimidated by CDs, but after a friend let me borrow some to try for a week it was sooo much easier (and CUTER!! ) than sposies.

I've tried just about everything in the CD world, and I can honestly say that I like prefolds and covers the best.. it just helps that they are MUCH cheaper.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:48 PM

I haven't bought a thing! I probably will procrastinate.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
Old 01-16-2009, 09:56 PM

I also don't have much. I have 2 bags of clothes/sleepers (various sizes) a friend gave me and have bought a exercaucer/jumperoo type thing at a garage sale for $3.

A good friend of mine is hosting a baby shower for me...but I think I want to CD too. The 3 Targets I've been to haven't had the AIO diapers. I hope ours does (it opens in March.)

I need a crib (will sidecar to my bed) carseat (I'd like an infant, just easier) sling or someway to carry baby and have hands free, diapers, onesies,etc. I pretty much need everything.

My youngest is 6 and we had planned on no more children, I had donated/sold/passed on EVERYTHING I had from the older ones. I kept nothing. (we are military and move every 2-3 yrs so I hate moving stuff I don't need LOL.)

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

Old 01-16-2009, 09:59 PM

My sister arranged dinner donations every other night for two weeks after dd2 was born and that was really, really lovely. That's going on my list this time as is full time childcare for two weeks. I was up waaaayyyy to early with dd2 and my m/w has already talked to me about staying in bed for two weeks this time.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
Old 01-16-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMommy View Post
A good friend of mine is hosting a baby shower for me...but I think I want to CD too. The 3 Targets I've been to haven't had the AIO diapers. I hope ours does (it opens in March.)
I think they only sell them from their website

Old 01-16-2009, 10:12 PM

huh, Erinz.. I never realized carseats expire! How long do they usually "last"?
Old 01-16-2009, 10:13 PM

I finally found out the sex of our babe yesterday (boy), so I went on a shopping spree!! I bought 10 organic onesies, a jumper, a sweater, 5 pairs of pants and a few other odds and ends. It was a blast as I hadn't bought anything up until that point. I would like to buy cloth diapers, but I need to figure out what type is best to buy first.

Mother of two boys and a stork-boy.gif on the way!

Old 01-16-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shhh View Post
huh, Erinz.. I never realized carseats expire! How long do they usually "last"?
It depends on the seat. I think somewhere between 6 and 8 years or something like that? Depends on the brand and model though. The date should be somewhere on there. Mine are on stickers (for both the Graco infant seat and the Britax convertible). I had to call Graco to confirm it is expired since it only had a production date, but they said that is unusual in that almost all of them clearly state when they expire. I didn't realize they did either until recently.

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
Old 01-17-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMommy View Post
I also don't have much. I have 2 bags of clothes/sleepers (various sizes) a friend gave me and have bought a exercaucer/jumperoo type thing at a garage sale for $3.

I need a crib (will sidecar to my bed) carseat (I'd like an infant, just easier) sling or someway to carry baby and have hands free, diapers, onesies,etc. I pretty much need everything.

My youngest is 6 and we had planned on no more children, I had donated/sold/passed on EVERYTHING I had from the older ones. I kept nothing. (we are military and move every 2-3 yrs so I hate moving stuff I don't need LOL.)
Firm believer that when you pass things along to others in need, it always comes back to you... often in greater measure than what you gave.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:41 AM

nothing. I was waiting to find out the sex and now that i know I'm having my third boy I just have no motivation.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Firm believer that when you pass things along to others in need, it always comes back to you... often in greater measure than what you gave.
I think so too! It's karma KWIM?

I've gotten 2 big bags of baby girl clothes from friends, totally cute stuff (all big brands! LOTS of Gymbo, Gap!) and ran into another friend I hadn't talked to in awhile and she said she had TONS of girls stuff for me. :

It's so nice, because I know they could have sold the stuff and made $$ but they gave it to me instead. I so appreciate it.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

Old 01-17-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_brycesmom View Post
nothing. I was waiting to find out the sex and now that i know I'm having my third boy I just have no motivation.
ikwym, the girls items are so much cuter. I wanted a boy, but always gravitate to the girls clothing, bedding, etc. I would be done buying by now if I was expecting a princess. Hopefully next time.

Mother of two boys and a stork-boy.gif on the way!

Old 01-17-2009, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
I didn't need as much stuff for recovery after #2. I think not getting stitches made a HUGE difference. I had a first degree tear with both, but after #2, I could pretty much do anything except walk long distances (then it felt like my uterus would fall out ).

But what I did need after #2 was something for the AFTERPAINS!!!! They weren't bad with #1. I remember the doctor kept asking me "Are you sure you don't need anything for the afterpains?", and I was like "Nope, they really don't hurt." It was just very mild AF-like cramps. But after #2, the afterpains were awful. I wanted strong drugs for that, and didn't have any! I took some herbal stuff for afterpains, and it was ok, but I'd rather have had an epidural at that point. The afterpains were much more painful than any of my labor contractions. And they say it gets worse with each child. Ack! I'm seriously thinking about asking my OB if he can write me an rx or call one in after the baby is born, even though I won't be in the hospital. Don't know if he'll do that though.

I also wasn't prepared with bras with #2. I was ok with #1 because I already had some Bravado bras that I'd worn through pregnancy and they still fit. But with #2, I grew even bigger!!! I actually used some sticky-backed sposie breast pads that someone had given me, and stuck them to my T-shirt to go bra shopping. Without a bra, you just leak all over your shirt, and it's really uncomfortable. I needed a bra just to put breast pads in! My mom took me to the maternity shop here and we found a bigger size Bravado bra that fit up to an H cup.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 01-17-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup View Post

But what I did need after #2 was something for the AFTERPAINS!!!! They weren't bad with #1. I remember the doctor kept asking me "Are you sure you don't need anything for the afterpains?", and I was like "Nope, they really don't hurt." It was just very mild AF-like cramps. But after #2, the afterpains were awful. I wanted strong drugs for that, and didn't have any! I took some herbal stuff for afterpains, and it was ok, but I'd rather have had an epidural at that point. The afterpains were much more painful than any of my labor contractions. And they say it gets worse with each child. Ack!
I forgot about this! I've been told the same thing by many friends.... OK so really strong motrin on hand? LOL. I remember at the hospital with my first the nurses all kept asking if I wanted pain killers and I didn't understand why they kept pushing them! LOL Nothing hurt THAT BAD, kwim? I mean, I just went through natural chilbirth! HA! I remember thinking that NOW I know 10 on that 1 to 10 scale of pain

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
Old 01-18-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGift View Post
ikwym, the girls items are so much cuter. I wanted a boy, but always gravitate to the girls clothing, bedding, etc. I would be done buying by now if I was expecting a princess. Hopefully next time.
Yeah, I mean there is cute boy stuff but I've bought it all before. All my yarn is GN or boy and I'm just not motivated to keep knitting with it. Btdt. SPeesees had a sale after Christmas and I've already bought all the boy stuff for my other boys in the past. Granted, I gave a lot of it away but getting the same thing again is just not that exciting.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:24 AM

When we were expecting our third boy, I planned to never dress him in blue (at least not navy/royal blue . . . bright sky blue/turquoise was OK). It made it more exciting to put his clothes together (and to dress him once he arrived). I actually am pretty committed to dressing any baby in gender neutral clothes, but my definition of "gender neutral" may be broader than most other people's (i.e. I enjoy dressing my boys in pink/purple/flowers/hearts/etc., and wouldn't plan to put a baby girl in a dress or anything especially frilly).

We find out the sex in one week and five days. I am so excited to KNOW, but I've already bought all the fabric I'm going to use to make the baby quilt, clothes, and carriers, so the sex of the baby won't influence those decisions at all.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:27 AM

Lex, I'm the same way for the most part. I get comments wherever we go. I've even been told that i dress my boys "fruity" . I do draw the line at skirts and dresses though, lol.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_brycesmom View Post
Lex, I'm the same way for the most part. I get comments wherever we go. I've even been told that i dress my boys "fruity" . I do draw the line at skirts and dresses though, lol.
My son LOVES to put on sparkly dresses and skirts and the play heels at my mom's house I think it is so cute! He's equally cute naked and covered in mud in the garden

I was thinking the fun thing about having a girl would be getting to dress her in all the brown/black/olive clothes we have

Old 01-18-2009, 01:58 AM

Erin, that is a good point! Both of my boys like to dress up in girly dress up clothes and that is fine by me . I just didn't put them in dresses as babies, lol. Although gowns are pretty much all they wear in the early days.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:11 AM

I haven't bought or made anything yet! I feel so far behind!

I am slowly deciding what I want and need though, and my Mom and I went to check out a couple baby furniture stores today : so I think, assuming DH likes what I think he will, I know what we'll get for a crib and dresser etc. I plan to have baby co-sleep, but want the nursery set up for naps etc and for a place to keep baby stuff away from the dogs!

We've had a few people offer us stuff (some diapers, other baby stuff) so that'll really help. And I'm told that I shouldn't buy much in the line of clothes as we'll probably get lots for gifts.

I'm so impressed by what everyone is making! I'm so un-crafty that it's pathetic, but I might get my SIL to show me how to sew well enough to make some curtains and maybe crib sheets. I'd also like to make a toy chest / window seat for the baby's room, so that might be my biggest project. Pretty pathetic, huh?

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

Old 01-18-2009, 01:20 PM

Carlin- Don't feel bad.. I haven't bought or made anything either. And I am soooooo not crafty. Luckily for me, I have lots of crafty people in my life, though. I'm sure this babe will get lots of wonderful hand-made items still.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Carlin- Don't feel bad.. I haven't bought or made anything either. And I am soooooo not crafty. Luckily for me, I have lots of crafty people in my life, though. I'm sure this babe will get lots of wonderful hand-made items still.
Thanks Lizzy. I'm sure my babe will get hand made items too, just not hand made by me. That's OK, though, as the stuff made by other people will be way nicer than anything I'd make.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

Old 01-18-2009, 04:47 PM

I am all for gender neutral and everything, but I am seriously going crazy not knowing if I am having a boy or girl, cuz there are soooo many cute girly diapers I want to start buying! I am going crazy!

User Tag List