What have you bought/made for the baby so far? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 90 Old 01-18-2009, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just bought the rest of my quilting fabric for the monkey quilt last night. I really was waiting to find out which direction to go- and it was really fun. So I just washed it and dried it. Next step is to iron and get to quilting.

No school tomorrow, rainy and chilly, so a perfect day to quilt!!

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
#62 of 90 Old 01-19-2009, 04:29 AM

I just bought $183 worth of diapers! I found a good sale and got 10 FB, 3 HH, lots of inserts, a wet bag and some Scarlett Secret.

I have 3 packs of gn onesies that I got a while back buy 1 get 2 free. The kid will probably wear onesies and a diaper the whole summer. I'll have to buy clothes no matter what the sex is since DD was a fall baby.

I have 4 HHOS from DD and a small BB that a friend bought me. I'll probably buy a few more pockets off of DS unless I find another good sale or get the motivation to make some diapers.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#63 of 90 Old 01-19-2009, 01:09 PM

I've been looking at diaperswappers trying to find some good deals... but still haven't bought anything yet.

ETA: I take that back.. I found the same website as Rachelsmommy and bought:
6 KL1s
3 BSWW NB covers
4 Thristies SM covers
12 preemie PFs
1 wetbag
1 SWIMMI SM swim diaper

Plus I found on DS FSOT board:
8 Size S Bluberry stuffable AIO's for $5 each
and a bunch of inserts.

I wish I would have added more PFs to the first order, but it's too late now..

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#64 of 90 Old 01-20-2009, 08:02 PM

I've bought a wrap and a few diapers. I'm trying not to go overboard since we still have most of Julian's diapers. I also bought a coming home outfit. That is it so far.
#65 of 90 Old 01-20-2009, 08:36 PM

We have so much stuff already, left over from DS, so we won't need nearly as much stuff this time.

The only new thing I've bought this time is a pack of Depends! They had them on a good sale and I took advantage.....after reading that they are the thing to have for postnatal care. I guess that's more for me than for the baby.....although I would never have bought them if I weren't having a baby.

Shannon & Paul...married since 2000. Parents to Alexander Paul Martin - 30 October, 2003 Grace Elizabeth Maile - 12 June, 2009
#66 of 90 Old 01-20-2009, 08:55 PM

We bought a new glider with Christmas money. Our recliner was on it's last limb. It was after all bought by my grandmother in the seventies. It's yellow crushed velvet. We also bought our sewing machine. A lady my husband works with gave him a ton of fleece scraps to mess with for diapers. Hubby bought a package of disposables size 1 to use a reference for a pattern. We figure we'll probably want a few back ups anyways. I almost bought a sling the other day. It was fifty percent off, but I held off. When I came back the one that was in my size was gone. Oh well.

Really the only things we still have to have is a new mattress which we can probably hold off on since we're going to co-sleep mostly, and a car seat. We have it picked out I'm just waiting a bit more to see if I can find a sale.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#67 of 90 Old 01-20-2009, 09:04 PM

I just ordered my diaper stash! I have 48 prefolds (24 sm, 24 l) and 8 covers (4 s 4 m). I hope that's enough...

I also beefed up my registry with cute gender specific clothing, without one single pink dress on there! I doubt people will go out and buy those specific items, but at least they'll have some idea of what I like.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#68 of 90 Old 01-21-2009, 02:03 PM

I'm so excited! My new sewing machine just arrived! ::
Before now, I have borrowed my Mum's and we have sort of shared one between us, but now I have my own! (I think she was very happy to give me Christmas money towards one )

Now, I *suppose* I should get on with the backlog of mending etc that has been piling up waiting for me to get a machine...but I want to do fun things for the baby! I'll have a look through the previous posts and see what you're all making.

Mama to DD (June '09) and very newly expecting #2 Oct '11
#69 of 90 Old 01-21-2009, 02:15 PM

I am officially addicted to diaperswappers now I am trying to only buy diapers that are $5 or less though. I've only bought diapers and supplies for this baby so far.... still waiting a little less than 2 weeks to find out if we need to buy clothes or not (I saved all DS's clothes)

#70 of 90 Old 01-21-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I am officially addicted to diaperswappers now
yeah, do you want to start a support group?

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#71 of 90 Old 01-21-2009, 04:09 PM

Hmm....i'm wondering where LizzyQ and RachaelsMommy found the steal on the diapers. Anyone care to PM me a link? Thanks.

Mother of two boys and a stork-boy.gif on the way!

#72 of 90 Old 01-21-2009, 05:15 PM

I am addicted to diaperswappers, too now!!! I bought 8 newborn covers, a wool wrap, and two size small covers. I figured I might be able to register for prefolds at the birth center boutique. They have some diapers, but not a HUGE variety.
#73 of 90 Old 01-21-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyetamommy View Post
yeah, do you want to start a support group?
Good idea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGift View Post
Hmm....i'm wondering where LizzyQ and RachaelsMommy found the steal on the diapers. Anyone care to PM me a link? Thanks.
Keenbambino.com

But they will probably be sold out of a lot or most by now. Good luck!

#74 of 90 Old 01-21-2009, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I got my BBB Mei Favorite Baby Deluxe yesterday. : You can see pics here, wearing my 4.5 year old (43 lbs!) while 19 weeks pregnant. It was actually *comfortable*!!!! I couldn't believe how weightless he felt.

And no, I don't usually wear the 4.5 year old. But the mail had come, and my 2 year old was asleep, so I used what I could! Had to try it out right away!!!

So the carriers are all here. Now to start making diapers after next Wednesday. I should probably make a list of what patterns I plan to use and what fabrics. Last time I did all Very Baby fitteds (serged), and they were great, although the newborn size doesn't last THAT long. I'll throw in a couple other patterns this time, like Fattycakes, Hippy Hippy Snap, the free Darling Diapers newborn, and Little Comet Tails One-Size.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#75 of 90 Old 01-21-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Good idea!!!

Keenbambino.com

But they will probably be sold out of a lot or most by now. Good luck!
Thank you so much for the link. I tried to snag some good deals, but had no luck. I am glad that so many mamas had good deals on new CD's though.

I need to head over to the CD section to figure out what are the best CD's. There are so many different choices!

Mother of two boys and a stork-boy.gif on the way!

#76 of 90 Old 01-21-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup View Post
I got my BBB Mei Favorite Baby Deluxe yesterday. : You can see pics here, wearing my 4.5 year old (43 lbs!) while 19 weeks pregnant. It was actually *comfortable*!!!! I couldn't believe how weightless he felt.

And no, I don't usually wear the 4.5 year old. But the mail had come, and my 2 year old was asleep, so I used what I could! Had to try it out right away!!!

So the carriers are all here. Now to start making diapers after next Wednesday. I should probably make a list of what patterns I plan to use and what fabrics. Last time I did all Very Baby fitteds (serged), and they were great, although the newborn size doesn't last THAT long. I'll throw in a couple other patterns this time, like Fattycakes, Hippy Hippy Snap, the free Darling Diapers newborn, and Little Comet Tails One-Size.
Nice carrier!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGift View Post
Thank you so much for the link. I tried to snag some good deals, but had no luck. I am glad that so many mamas had good deals on new CD's though.

I need to head over to the CD section to figure out what are the best CD's. There are so many different choices!
I looked earlier and there were still some diaper covers and preemie PFs.

I tried lots and lots of different diapers with DS, and I like Prefolds/covers and all-in-ones the best. I did buy some fitteds on that website because they were super cheap, but I generally don't like them that much. There are lots of cute and very expensive CDs out there.. so if it's money you want to save PFs are the way to go.. AIOs are super easy and work almost like sposies, they are great for convenience.

You can try a few different things and see what works best for you and your LO

--

I traded a mama on DS for 2 NB/SM AIOs that are mama-made for a $10 gift card that was given to me and I won't use.. score!

#77 of 90 Old 01-22-2009, 01:48 AM

I have nothing at all for this baby. We just found out it is a boy so we could start shopping, but honestly, I haven't done a thing. I don't even know where to start with getting stuff for the baby. I have had kids before, but my youngest at home is going to be almost ten when this baby comes. it is like I am starting from scratch.
#78 of 90 Old 01-22-2009, 08:02 PM

We don't know the sex yet so haven't bought or sourced any clothes. If it's a girl, we're set. If it's a boy, we'll need to do some buying, etc. My friend is sending me back the cloth dipes I sent her when her little girl was born so we won't be needing any dipes or covers. We bought a car seat that's 22 lbs to 80 lbs for our 3 year old and will be using the Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 for the baby. Right now we very conveniently have 1 car seat in each car so it's already made life way easier doing things like dropping her at daycare and stuff.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#79 of 90 Old 01-23-2009, 01:40 PM

DH made our first cloth diaper last night! It's a T-shirt one. We used to work at a video game store and we have a ton of t-shirts from old releases between the two of us. Most of them are stained or faded so they are becoming diapers. It turned out really cute. He only needs to make one more soaker for the inside.

I also ordered our car seat today. I decided to wander Target today, and the car seat we wanted was on sale for 20 off. I ran home to check and it's on sale online too. Hubby found a code for five dollars off and I had an e-gift card from that "sale" on Marathons so it ended up being ten dollars cheaper to buy online than at the store. Not much, but a thirty dollar savings I guess.

I spend time on diaperswapper.com daily too. I haven't bought anything yet though. I don't know what we're having and most of them are not gender neutral that I've seen. I suppose I could always buy a few either way and either use them anyway or sell them again.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#80 of 90 Old 01-23-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmommy View Post
DH made our first cloth diaper last night! It's a T-shirt one. We used to work at a video game store and we have a ton of t-shirts from old releases between the two of us. Most of them are stained or faded so they are becoming diapers. It turned out really cute. He only needs to make one more soaker for the inside.

I also ordered our car seat today. I decided to wander Target today, and the car seat we wanted was on sale for 20 off. I ran home to check and it's on sale online too. Hubby found a code for five dollars off and I had an e-gift card from that "sale" on Marathons so it ended up being ten dollars cheaper to buy online than at the store. Not much, but a thirty dollar savings I guess.

I spend time on diaperswapper.com daily too. I haven't bought anything yet though. I don't know what we're having and most of them are not gender neutral that I've seen. I suppose I could always buy a few either way and either use them anyway or sell them again.
Cool.. your DH sews? That's awesome!

I have both boyish and girlish diapers and covers... I guess I figure that they will be wearing boy/girl clothes on top of the diapers, and I can always trade them for more gender specific later.

I am trying to hold out buying too much stuff because, really, if we are having a girl I really do want pink and purples! I found out in one week, 3 days! -- plus most of my friends plan on getting me cute cloth for the new babe too.

#81 of 90 Old 01-23-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I am trying to hold out buying too much stuff because, really, if we are having a girl I really do want pink and purples! I found out in one week, 3 days! -- plus most of my friends plan on getting me cute cloth for the new babe too.
Can I know who your friends are? I don't know ANYONE around here that uses cloth. Pretty much everyone near me thinks all our choices are nuts.

#82 of 90 Old 01-23-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyetamommy View Post
Can I know who your friends are? I don't know ANYONE around here that uses cloth. Pretty much everyone near me thinks all our choices are nuts.
I've met a lot of my friends from LLL and/or MDC Most of my friends I had before I got PG did not use cloth.

2 of my SILs cloth diaper too.

So... yeah, you can know who my friends are, lol.. maybe you can come to a LLL meeting sometime.

#83 of 90 Old 01-23-2009, 08:08 PM

we haven't bought anything but we have received some handmedowns and gifts:

- ergo baby carrier
- plain blue ring sling
- timbuk2 tote we will use as a diaper bag
- swing
- johnny jump up
- infant carseat/stroller system
- about 4 dozen fitted cloth diapers
- 4 covers
-breast pump

SIL had a baby 11/21 so we'll be getting some stuff from her when her DS outgrows it including:

- cosleeper
- some clothes, although since we're having a june baby and theirs is a nov baby the seasons might not match up

i bookmarked the Very Baby diaper pattern because my mom has said she will make me some cloth diapers. do i need covers for those? i did a cloth diaper service when DS was little (he is now 10) and it was just prefolds and plain white covers, so i know little about accumulating my own "stash"
#84 of 90 Old 01-23-2009, 09:41 PM

So those Hawaiian dresses will be put to use afterall. Yay!

Tomorrow there is a community yard sale for family housing so there should be lots of little girl clothes that I can score. And Monday is $.99 cent clothes day at Value Village so I'm going with a friend. And my goal to find is girls clothing that is beautiful, stylish and NOT PINK!

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#85 of 90 Old 01-23-2009, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruver View Post
i bookmarked the Very Baby diaper pattern because my mom has said she will make me some cloth diapers. do i need covers for those? i did a cloth diaper service when DS was little (he is now 10) and it was just prefolds and plain white covers, so i know little about accumulating my own "stash"
Depends on what type you make. You can make fitteds, which are just absorbent fabric (cotton, hemp, bamboo, etc.), and you put a cover over those. Fitteds have elastic and snaps or Aplix (I don't recommend Velcro that you get locally - it won't hold up, and it's actually cheaper to get Aplix online). They tend to hold poo in better than prefolds, so you don't have to change your covers AS much. I love fitteds/covers for the newborn/small stage when the poo is so runny.

You could also make AIOs (all-in-ones) where the cover and the absorbent fabric are all sewn together and you put them on like a sposie. The drawback here is that it's hard to make them absorbent enough while still allowing them to get clean and dry well. There are pocket diapers, which are like an AIO, except the soaker portion is made separately and you just leave the front or back of the diaper open so you can stuff it. Pocket diapers are very popular. The main issue with a newborn and AIOs or pockets is that they are more likely to leak poo, unless you bind them with fold-over elastic (FOE), like covers often are bound. There are other types of diapers as well, and you can find out all about them in the diapering section.

I used the Very Baby fitted pattern (the original pattern that is a serged diaper with ruffles) for my last baby, and it fit very well, but the newborn size didn't last very long. There was really only one usable snap setting. The Very Baby AIO pattern (that uses Aplix) also fit very well. I made one pocket out of that, but newborn size pockets are VERY difficult to stuff. The diaper did fit well though. You could make fitteds with that pattern. Standard covers like Bummis, Proraps, etc. usually fit over the VB diapers. In fact, the VB Snugwrap pattern fits almost exactly like the Bummis SWW cover.

You can also check out free patterns out there. The Darling Diapers Newborn pattern is free at http://darlingdiapers.com. A lot of folks like that one, and it supposedly lasts longer than the VB newborn size.

Have your mother join Diaper Sewing Divas. There are a few grandmas on there that sew diapers for their grandchildren.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#86 of 90 Old 01-23-2009, 10:44 PM

I wish I could sew!! I would make a bunch of Very Baby AIOs too!

#87 of 90 Old 01-24-2009, 03:12 PM

I wish I could sew too! I get so jealous of all the mamas that make amazing dipes for so cheap!

And I'm over on DS posting like crazy trying to up my count to 50 so that I can have a siggy and an ISO

I'm also super excited for garage sales. Yay spring!

#88 of 90 Old 01-24-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaMajka View Post
The only thing I've bought so far is diapers. But...in my defense, there was a GOOD sale, and my friend needed some right now and we shared shipping costs. lol
Ok, so...I've now bought my entire stash of cd's. For cd'ing full time. From newborn until (likely) potty training

In my defense (again) I've only spent $520ish. Most of my nb stuff was used, but everything else is new (mostly seconds, discontinued colors, clearance sales, etc). And most of them are nice pocket diapers with good reviews on diaperpin. So I've spent about 1/3 of what disposables would cost (and that includes washing every other day).

Does that make me a loser? lol

There's lots of stuff I don't need to buy- my sil is lending me a swing, excersaucer, floormat, bouncy seat, moses basket type thing, and whatever else she has that her baby will have outgrown by then (she will be 1 year older than my baby).

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#89 of 90 Old 01-24-2009, 06:18 PM

Becky- not a loser, lol.. the coolest thing about cloth diapers is that you can sell them (or donate them) when you are done! You could make almost half your money back which would be saving even more money! You can't do that with disposables!

I've spent about $230 for all small and NB sizes. There is lots of life left in the PFs DS is till wearing, but his AIOs and covers are wearing out, and I will probably have to replace those soon. So.. I'll probably spend another $100 can call it good.

#90 of 90 Old 01-24-2009, 06:44 PM

Absolutely nothing. We have a car seat that we bought for Aaron (went into labour on the way home from the store) and it hasn't left its box.

I'm going to get an Ergo - borrowed one for almost two years with ds2, and loved it. I also want to try a sling.

We'll need a few more toddler-sized diapers at some point. I use Kushies, because I already have them, and I'm really not that interested in diapers, yk? We lost a bunch after Aaron died, because I was so out of it that I forgot they'd been in the pail when my labour started. YUCK!!

I don't think we're buying or making anything else at all. We have lots of clothes, so we don't need those.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page