What have you bought/made for the baby so far? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 90 Old 01-15-2009, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
So what has everyone bought or made for the new baby?

I haven't started on the cloth diaper stash yet (will make that), as I'm waiting to find out the gender in 2 weeks. But I have been working on baby carriers. I think I'm "carrier complete" for the moment. I already had a DIY stretchy wrap ($1/yd cotton jersey from Walmart ). I got a Beco Butterfly 1.0 when Cottonbabies had them 50% off a while back (I think that was before I got pregnant, but it was technically for the new baby because I rarely wear DS#2 anymore... he's ridden in it a handful of times, and it is VERY comfy, although a bit more fiddly to put on than a regular SSC). For Christmas, my dad gave me money for a Vatanai wrap, and I got Tibet in 5m length. It's really nice! Then this week, I realized I didn't have a Mei Tai anymore! I'd donated mine to the local babywearing group's lending library after I made the SSC I had before (which has now also been donated). So I went looking at Mei Tais and decided on a Mei Favorite Baby Deluxe half buckle. Found one used on TBW, and the money my dad gave me for the wrap and something else for Christmas had about $50 leftover, so only $5 will come out of the baby budget for this carrier.

I'm not even bothering with a ring sling or pouch this time, as I hate one-shouldered carries (history of herniated disc in my lower back), and last time I found that I could put baby on my front in a Mei Tai just as quickly as I could put him in a ring sling, and he was much more secure in the Mei Tai - no butt popping. So I think with a stretchy wrap, woven wrap, half-buckle Mei Tai, and an SSC, I should be all set!

Now in 2 weeks, I'll start the cloth diaper stash. Last time, I used fitteds and covers, and really liked that for the newborn EBF poop stage. So I'll do that again. I sold all my newborn diapers, knowing I'd want to make more cute little teensy tiny diapers for the next baby. I still need to decide what patterns I'll use... will probably do a combo of things, since I have several patterns this time. Last time I just did all VB fitteds and VB Snugwraps. I LOVED the Snugwraps. They fit just like Bummis SWWs!

I think once I get the diapers made, the only other thing I'll need is clothes. I have winter newborn clothes, since both of my kids were supposed to be fall/winter newborns. I also have preemie boy clothes from DS#1, which I *hope* to not have to use.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#2 of 90 Old 01-15-2009, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So far I haven't bought anything, but have already been given a lot. This is our first baby, first grandbaby on one side, and first great-grandbaby on one side. So I figure people will want to buy us a lot of stuff!

German friend has promised us their used wardrobe, changing table and stroller.

Cousin gave us a jog stroller.

SIL gave us a breast pump and a few newborn gender neutral clothes.

My aunt gave us a better breast pump!, a swing, a moses basket, and has basically offered me all that I could possibly need in clothes and "stuff." (She has a 4 year old.)

I also have a friend who is sending us a didymos wrap (they bought used in Germany and has since been used on another baby in the US and a third baby in New Zealand!), and I hope to make one out of a lighter weight fabric, and have been inspired by Bosco to consider also making a Mei Tai.

The one thing I'm not sure what to do about is diapers. I want to CD, but they will be a difficult thing to register for unless I just want Gerber prefolds. I've also been given advice not to buy too many of the same kind until the baby is here, so I can figure out which type fits him best. Any advice about this would be appreciated.
#3 of 90 Old 01-15-2009, 12:00 PM

There are some serious benefits to having the 6th kid in the family right after one person's last kid (she's done) turns 2. I've already gotten, hand me down, a pack n play, some good toys, clothing, and I've been promised stuff like more clothes, a breast pump, and potentially some big ticket items like crib and changing table

I've made a blanket so far, and purchased a sling new. I'm going to be starting a mei tai very soon, and next week I'm buying my diapers. I don't trust myself enough yet to make them (as this is my first kiddo), but I'm buying from a local mom.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#4 of 90 Old 01-15-2009, 12:02 PM

Jayray, I'm doing prefolds and covers because, to be honest, I'm cheap and I can't imagine spending $18 on one single diaper. I figured out my stash will be a total of about $250, for 24 small prefolds, 24 medium sized prefolds, and 4 or more covers. Seems like a lot, at first, but really that's not that bad.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#5 of 90 Old 01-15-2009, 12:05 PM

stretchy pouch sling with this pattern
2 pairs of corduroy baby booties with this pattern
9+ (some are in progress) newborn fitted diapers from the mama bird pattern, made with mostly recycled fabrics (pants, tablecloths, leftover pajama fabric)

I've bought some used Thristies covers in size x-small and small.

My mother-in-law has bought for me, all secondhand good deals she couldn't resist: 2 strollers, several swaddling blankets, bouncy seat, tub, maternity clothes, baby towels, moses basket. Also some new diaper covers.

The moses basket has no "bedding" in it (mattress pad or side pads). Does anyone know how to go about making that?

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
#6 of 90 Old 01-15-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
There are some serious benefits to having the 6th kid in the family right after one person's last kid (she's done) turns 2. I've already gotten, hand me down, a pack n play, some good toys, clothing, and I've been promised stuff like more clothes, a breast pump, and potentially some big ticket items like crib and changing table

I've made a blanket so far, and purchased a sling new. I'm going to be starting a mei tai very soon, and next week I'm buying my diapers. I don't trust myself enough yet to make them (as this is my first kiddo), but I'm buying from a local mom.
Do you have a pattern for a Mei Tai?

I really would like a sling or comparable carrier. I dont' want to fool with toting a car seat everywhere! Those things are wicked heavy!

I am excited to find out that we have a "Once Upon a Child" store in our town! I thought we didn't have one, but saw a commercial last night on tv. We have one beside each mall. Hip hip hooray!! Now I don't have to pay full price!

Also- dumb question- I have seriously debated the CD/Pamper route.... do you use a diaper cover for disposables, or is that why they are plastic on the outside? And another dumb question- for those CD lovers.... are they hard to make, are they hard to use, and how do you make them? :

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
#7 of 90 Old 01-15-2009, 12:35 PM

i've bought (all secondhand) a bunch of onesies and sleepers and a couple hats for the actual birth.

i'm making a really nice knitted baby blanket out of cashmerino wool, and some cloth wipes. i am also planning to make a few pairs of pants out of shirts dh doesn't wear anymore; they will be perfect for summertime.

i have a HUGE dipe stash from dd (who is at the very early stages of PL'ing right now) and 3 types of slings (babyhawk, a wrap i made, a hotsling and a homemade version of a hotsling) i had a ring sling, but i lent it to my SIL, and haven't seen it since i also have the swing (which dd hated) and all of her wooden infant toys/rattles, bouncy seat (also despised by dd), etc.
#8 of 90 Old 01-15-2009, 12:41 PM

I am amazed at how prepared y'all are! I am sticking to the Jewish tradition and not preparing anything--I'll just wing it when the baby gets here. I do have the sling I used for dd and ds.

I have to admit I'll cheat a little and pre-order the cloth diaper service and get a car seat. Baby needs to have one to ride home in from the birthing center--and you get "kicked out" after 5 hours, so no time to buy one then.
#9 of 90 Old 01-15-2009, 01:09 PM

This is fun!

I've got a TON of diapers that I made. Seriously, it is not that hard to do. In fact, with a little bit of planning you can make the coolest diapers ever. If you are new to CD, I think putting the time in making your own diapers will make it a joy to do CD. I LOVE CD more than ever now that I have made my own diapers.

Buy the Very Baby fitted pattern, it seriously couldn't be any easier. I couldn't wind a bobbin before I started sewing diapers, and now I'm a pro.

I have
15 Newborn fitteds
24 Newborn prefolds (bamboo velour with snaps)
30 Small fitteds
40 small prefolds (velour with snaps)
30 small AIO
10 small AIO (embroidered)
40 large AIO
10 large AIO (embroidered)

I'm swimming in diapers.

I need to make a cover for our cradle mattress out of bamboo velour.

I need to make some slings and mei-tais. I am a little worried about this because I have never done anything like it before, but I think I can pull it off. I just need a good trip to the fabric store--the BIG one.

I have all clothes up to 1 year and all the wood toys we could want.

Isn't that all a baby NEEDS?

I'd like to get some glass bottles, but in truth, my dd only ever had about 1 or 2 bottles a month when I was off photographing weddings.

I am also longing for a big, beautiful rocking chair and a boppy.:

Wife to Jared; SAHM to dd Daphne (03/07) and VBAC Cyprus (06/09). Farmer, Wool Goddess, Photographer and Seamstress
#10 of 90 Old 01-15-2009, 01:11 PM

Mei Tai making directions:
http://www.bradley-etheridge.com/MaeMeiTai.htm
#11 of 90 Old 01-15-2009, 01:41 PM

Just yesterday I bought all of the fabric I'll use for making the baby a quilt and 2 babyhawk-style mei tais (one for dw and one for me, in fabrics of our choosing). We really don't *need* much for the baby since he/she will be our fourth baby in 6 years, but I am also planning on eventually buying an infant car seat, some newborn and small diapers (we used a diaper service for the first few months with ds1 and ds2, and then ds3 was just HUGE and practically was born fitting size medium) and *maybe* a baby hammock of some kind. I guess we might also end up needing a breastpump, but we'll probably wait on that until after the baby arrives since it's still so unclear about what the plan is going to be for nursing and who will be staying home (in some ways it's easier and some ways more complicated with two nursing moms!).

And I will for sure be making lots of tiny t-shirts and onesies after I'm done with the quilt and the mei tais (I also have to make a mei tai for a friend whose first baby is due in March, so that one takes priority).

But first I need to clean the house.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#12 of 90 Old 01-15-2009, 02:03 PM

Jayray- I registered online for cloth diapers, there are a lot of generic sites where you can add anything from anywhere to your registry (online or in stores). I used myregistry.com. Also, I plan on using prefolds (Don't use Gerber!!) and fitteds with covers for the newborn stage, and then buying one or 2 of various diapers before the baby comes (either onesize or smalls). Then I have time to decide what I want to use and can sell all of the ones I don't want on diaperswappers. DS is great for researching, buying and selling dipes (new or used).

So far, we've bought a crib (plan on using it side car and for naps), stroller (got an amazing deal on Shnoop.com), 24 newborn fitteds, 5 nb covers, 4 OS pockets (1 BG, 3 BB- 2 of which are minky), 2 BG AIO size small, 2 small wetbags, 2 large wetbags (awesome deal on the wetbags at swaddlebees outlet), 12 BG cotton wipes, 2 nightgowns, I won a wahm taggie blanket, a crib sheet, a stainless steal sippy, an adorable stuffed giraffe (I think that's more for me to look at, lol), a babyhawk mei tai for dh (it has flames on it), and a gmbbb wrap for me. Everything we've got so far was either used or a really awesome deal. I love one-a-day websites like babysteals, mamabargains, and shnoop. I just need a dozen orange edge prefolds from GMD and 2 xs thirsties and my newborn stash will be complete.

We already had a swing (dh got for free on craigslist years ago, L & E both used it), and since I'm a nanny I had my own bh mei tai, hotsling, beco ssc, and ring sling. We've inherited an infant car seat that my siblings used for their kids (it expires next september so I get enough use out of it before moving to a convertible), a boppy with cover, a cosleeper, and 2 miracle blankets. I will get tons of used baby clothes from my siblings (there are 3 boys and 3 girls in the last 7 years) but we'll get those closer to the birth. I have a sister due 3 weeks before me so we are hoping we get opposite genders!

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#13 of 90 Old 01-15-2009, 02:15 PM

wow..you all are so prepared! DH and I seriously thought we were done after ds3, so even though this was a planned pregnancy, I had already given away/donated much of the baby items! I am counting on having a girl this time around b/c my SIL still has all of my nieces clothes and she was a May baby, so the timing works perfect. My father made us a highchair for ds1, so I obviously still have that and I have a cradle my grandfather-in-law made for ds1. We need to get a carseat, but hoping that will be purchased through dh's work baby shower. What I really, really, really need is to start on the diaper stash. This is my first in cloth and I am trying to get everything together. A local mom is selling some covers (imse vimse, thirsties, and stacinator) for an awesome steal and then I think I am going to buy prefolds new. I was thinking about getting some fitteds for the newborn stage as well and then move up to pockets and AIO once the baby is older. It is all a little overwhelming though! I already have a wrap (storch....LOVE IT) and I probably will get a BH (sold my other one) and my good friend has loads of wraps she said I could borrow (she used them with her twins so they are oh so soft!). I love how I am getting most of the stuff used this time around!!!!

Tanya, wife to my best friend momma to Blake 2/02, Jacob 5/04, Parker 12/05 and MaKenna : 6/09
#14 of 90 Old 01-15-2009, 02:29 PM

I got rid of ALLLLL of my baby, infant, toddler things. I really thought we were done.

BUT, my good old SIL/best friend saves everything. : She sent me all of her newborn diaper stash and infant/small diaper stash. I am so set when it somes to dipes.

I did keep my carriers. I will use my wrap all the time, I know it. Besides that, I have no clothes or extra baby things around. I guess all I really need is clothes. I do not know why I have not bought any yet. I usually go to thrift stores and yard sales buying up all i can. I guess I should get on the ball here. Yard sale season should be starting up soon. I am pretty excited about that.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#15 of 90 Old 01-15-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post

The one thing I'm not sure what to do about is diapers. I want to CD, but they will be a difficult thing to register for unless I just want Gerber prefolds. I've also been given advice not to buy too many of the same kind until the baby is here, so I can figure out which type fits him best. Any advice about this would be appreciated.
Have you ever heard of/seen www.mygiftlist.com ? A friend of mine used this a while back and I thought it was so awesome! You can pick things from all different web sites and stores to put on your list, so you aren't stuck with just using one store (which I think would be really hard to do with diapers plus other baby stuff).

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#16 of 90 Old 01-15-2009, 02:55 PM

The only things I need now are:
1. Rocking chair (sold mine)
2. Dresser for changing table (sold my changing table)
3. NB cloth diapers - can't WAIT to make these!
4. NB wool and fleece covers - sister making these as my gift. So sweet.
5. Boy clothes (if a boy) - can get tons from friends if/when I need
6. Co-sleeper (sold mine)
7. Birth kit

I haven't bought anything, but have gotten lots of give-away and free cycle stuff in addition to stuff left over from my dd2.

Some cloth diaper input - we used MotherEase one size with dd2 and LOVED them. She was in them from 12 pounds through age three (at night - she was an EC grad at 21 months), and then I loaned them to two other moms and they are in great shape. I loved that I only needed one size of dipe and they are so sturdy and soft.

Oh, and if you're using sposies, you don't need a cover. But give cloth a try. It's super easy and so much better for baby (and mother earth) and so cute too!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#17 of 90 Old 01-15-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivkah View Post
I am amazed at how prepared y'all are! I am sticking to the Jewish tradition and not preparing anything--I'll just wing it when the baby gets here. I do have the sling I used for dd and ds.

I have to admit I'll cheat a little and pre-order the cloth diaper service and get a car seat. Baby needs to have one to ride home in from the birthing center--and you get "kicked out" after 5 hours, so no time to buy one then.
Same here! MIL/FIL and my parents brought over some of the baby stuff from DD that we'd been storing at their houses (including the car seat) but other than that we won't buy or make anything in advance. We'll pick out a layette for either gender (and then MIL/FIL will buy the right one as soon as babe pops out) and I know I want to buy a BabyHawk this time but other than that...

Happy mama to DD (8-11-05) and DS (6-5-09) and married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01.
#18 of 90 Old 01-15-2009, 04:52 PM

The only thing I've bought so far is diapers. But...in my defense, there was a GOOD sale, and my friend needed some right now and we shared shipping costs. lol

I already have my car seat choice narrowed down to 2- SafeSeat or TrueFit. (though I do love ds's Radian)

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#19 of 90 Old 01-15-2009, 05:17 PM

I have a lot of clothes from my son, who was born in may, so I think we're pretty set in that department. I still have my pouch sling but want to get an ergo and maybe another something similar. I need to collect some stuff we've lent to other people: the co-sleeper, the infant carseat, the breastpump - hopefully all that stuff is still usable. Also my dh thinks I'm crazy but I'm going to hang a hammock on the porch to swing in during labor. For some reason swinging (in the playground, hehe) was heaven for me during labor the last time.
#20 of 90 Old 01-15-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivkah View Post

Us, too. We will also get the carseat ahead of time, although our plan right now is for a homebirth. I might also pick up some 2nd hand CD -- I've seen some great deals on CL. I'm trying to think of a way to work around the "ayin hara" (evil eye)... or at least hide it from my H who is really superstitious.
#21 of 90 Old 01-15-2009, 08:16 PM

I've been hitting a lot of the sales for clothes. I've been trying to buy a variety of sizes because I doubt we'll be given anything.

The last baby is 1.5 and a girl (we're having a boy!) on one side, and on the other-- there is a boy due 2 months before me so we'll get nothing there either.

I've bought random things when I had a few spare bucks- like a bottle, a box of bottle liners, wipes, diapers... just whatever I had cash for to build up a little "stash"

I've got all his furniture too... now I just need someplace to put it!
#22 of 90 Old 01-16-2009, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Oh, I forgot I needed to get a new breast pump! My old Avent Isis has about had it. It was a good pump, but even replacing the plastic thingies, it just doesn't work as well anymore. I rarely used it, but I do need to have one for those occasional times that I have to leave baby or if I get a plugged duct. I *cannot* hand express.

Those who are getting a manual pump, which one are you getting? I haven't researched pumps lately. My Avent Isis is from 4.5 years ago, and it was a great pump. Much more comfortable than the evil Lactina I rented while DS#1 was in the NICU (exclusively pumped for 4 weeks, so I don't really like pumps anymore ).

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#23 of 90 Old 01-16-2009, 12:15 AM

I don't need a single thing for this baby that I don't already have. However, right before the holidays Speesees had an online sale and I ummm bought some new clothes for the baby! SERIOUSLY, what is wrong with me?

I gave my Moby wrap away so I need to replace it, I have an Ergo that we still sometimes use for my 2.5 year old. I would like a didymos wrap so that is on my wish list. Otherwise I have plenty of clothes saved, plenty of cloth dipes saved, and a bouncy seat saved for my independent shower time (which is nonexistant now that I have a toddler haah), and the rest is all boob and family bed

OH! Except the infant seat that was given to us for our son is now expired... so I guess I'm in the market for a new bucket. boo.

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#24 of 90 Old 01-16-2009, 02:10 AM

I feel like I have nothing but I guess I have a few things. I have a maya wrap, 2 dozen prefolds, 6 Bummis covers, several onsies and little sleepers that I bought secondhand, and one playtex nurser bottle that I got from a sample somewhere. I think that's it though. I will probably pick up a few more diapers in the next couple of weeks. I want to try out those Thirsties pocket AIOS and also the Motherease dipes I've heard so much about. I also want to get a mei tei and a moby wrap and a really good breast pump as I'll be going back to work full time 3 nights a week after 12 weeks. Not to mention the carseat, pack and plays, swings and bouncy seat (heard those are good for showers lol). So yea.....I've still got a lot of things to get lol. I better get busy or he'll be here before I know it.

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
#25 of 90 Old 01-16-2009, 02:49 AM

Wow! You guys are prepared!! I thought we were craaaaaaaaazy buying a crib and a dresser last weekend with DH's bonus. The furniture is custom made in Canada (but not too $$$) and is pretty green (enviro, not in colour!) and non-toxic. And an organic mattress. We will be side-caring the crib to our bed, baby not IN our bed, because sometimes I have to take meds that knock me out, and that would be dangerous. But it will be right beside me. The dresser will be used for a change table. Eventually the crib turns into a toddler day bed and then a double bed.

Basically we need everything. This is our first baby, and the first baby on my side of the family. My friends are still having babies, so I don't think we will get much from them.

I *think* I know the kind of diapers I want (I am a researching fool), kissaluvs at the beginning and then Motherease bamboo sandies (another local company!). I hope the baby loves these! Also get prefolds and covers. And wipes.

We do know we want a video monitor, loved our friends. I hope to get clothes from my SIL who has a girl and a boy. Need to figure out what kind of sling or slings we want, a mei tai looks great, but have to try on all the options. Man, I hope this baby loves to be worn. Also need bottles (thinking glass), a pump, and that reminds me to hopefully find more people other than the surro to donate BM do I can do as least amount of formula as possible. I cannot induce lactation due to a whole whack of reasons, but we hope to have lots of BM and supplement with organic formula.

I hear all the new baby gear comes out in March, so hopefully they will have deals on the 08 stuff and we can all get some bargains.

I am so not crafty, so I haven't made anything, but I am learning digital scrapbooking, so I am starting to work on the pregnancy album and put together the baby book so I can just plop stuff in it later when I am sleep deprived.

Eeek, so much to think about. I am going back to not thinking about it, you are stressing me out - lol.
#26 of 90 Old 01-16-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
Us, too. We will also get the carseat ahead of time, although our plan right now is for a homebirth. I might also pick up some 2nd hand CD -- I've seen some great deals on CL. I'm trying to think of a way to work around the "ayin hara" (evil eye)... or at least hide it from my H who is really superstitious.
Some people order things and arrange for them to be delivered after the baby is born.

We have never really had a nursery (just a corner our bedroom, really), so I haven't ever been too worried. I had homebirths with dd and ds, and I just made sure we had some diapers, and we somehow managed just fine. Honestly, I think you end up buying less (that you end up not using) this way.

I have slightly annoyed people at work though, because I had to explain that I don't want a baby shower.
#27 of 90 Old 01-16-2009, 10:01 AM

We DID have a separate room, nursery with DD and don't co-sleep but it wasn't a problem. We picked out what we wanted when pregnant with her (crib, bassinet - which was in our room for the first like 6 weeks, stroller, etc) and had it all held for us and didn't pay/take delivery until she popped out. BIL painted the room a few days later while we were out for the day. I was in the hospital (natural hospital birth) and while there SIL bought diapers and those necessities for us. All worked out fine - a bit of scrambling once we got home but manageable.

Happy mama to DD (8-11-05) and DS (6-5-09) and married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01.
#28 of 90 Old 01-16-2009, 12:55 PM

I have a lot of stuff from DS.. ALL his clothes and *some* small diapers. I started CDing him at 6 months so most of the diapers are Meds and up (and GMD reds and browns).

I am waiting to find out the gender of this baby to start buying things... hoping it's a girl and I can start getting some cute girl clothes and diapers!

I am also hoping to have a cloth-diaper-shower instead of a regular baby shower. Most of my friends and SIL's are CDers so they would all know what I need- plus I'll add some on a Target registry for those that don't know what to get (they have Bum Genius!)

So, in short, I haven't bought or made anything.

But the only things I need, really are diapers, and clothes if this one is a girl.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#29 of 90 Old 01-16-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup View Post
Oh, I forgot I needed to get a new breast pump! My old Avent Isis has about had it. It was a good pump, but even replacing the plastic thingies, it just doesn't work as well anymore. I rarely used it, but I do need to have one for those occasional times that I have to leave baby or if I get a plugged duct. I *cannot* hand express.

Those who are getting a manual pump, which one are you getting? I haven't researched pumps lately. My Avent Isis is from 4.5 years ago, and it was a great pump. Much more comfortable than the evil Lactina I rented while DS#1 was in the NICU (exclusively pumped for 4 weeks, so I don't really like pumps anymore ).
I got a Medela Harmony hand pump from WIC that I still have, and now that I work at WIC they rent out their hospital grade pumps for employees : Plus, I am sure that I could bring LO in sometimes while I have to work (or someone else can) and BF'd in their super comfy BFing room, if I wanted to... I am a breastfeeding peer counselor, so they would be very accommodating to me that way

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#30 of 90 Old 01-16-2009, 01:11 PM

I feel woefully unprepared after reading all your posts. I'm 17 weeks now and we are due June 25th. We have not bought or been given a single thing for our baby, but I guess we still have plenty of time right? This will hopefully be our first if all goes well.

I guess I'm nervous to buy anything because I have a history of loss due to m/c and almost feel that I will jinx myself if I buy stuff now.

I guess I plan on buying just a few essentials right before the due date and delay planning a nursery until after the baby is born. I have started a small wish list on Amazon for baby essentials like a co-sleeper, car seat, baby sling/carrier and onesies, but that's the extent of my preparations so far.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page