June 2009 Homebirthing Tribe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm kind of sitting here twiddling my thumbs at 19 weeks. No testing, no ultrasound, and no worries either! Just waiting patiently for my third uneventful homebirth, but feeling a little left out of the DDC. Anyone else?

Any first time homebirthers need support or advice? Let's start a little tribe here for the hb/uc mamas!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#2 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 02:47 PM

I'm homebirthing, but I currently have a backup OB and will be getting an ultrasound next week. But, should that u/s go well, I'll stop seeing the OB. I so hope that's the case.

At this point, about the only interesting thing is this should be a 2nd generation homebirth. DH was born at home in 1982 (his mom's 3rd homebirth, 4th kid), and was the one who convinced me to hb in the first place. Then again, it wasn't hard.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#3 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 02:49 PM

Me! First baby, so first hb. DH and I are really excited about it! No u/s or doppler, so we're hoping to hear the heartbeat today.

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#4 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I'll admit to a doppler at 13 wks, but I had two m/c in 2008 and was a mess until I heard that h/b. Got one this week with the scope and it was sweet how my m/w tapped on my hand in time with the Junebug's hb. Good luck!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#5 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 03:06 PM

We're leaning towards a homebirth but we have a couple of concerns. Has anyone homebirthed in an apartment with neighbors?
#6 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 03:26 PM

Add me to the tribe! This is my first baby and I'm so excited to have a homebirth! We have declined a routine ultrasound, but would consent, of course, if there was any sign of a medical need for one. I have let the MW use a doppler twice, but I'm going to see if she can use a fetoscope or stethoscope next time.

I'm at 16.5 weeks right now... it seems like it will be a very long time before baby comes.

I'm hoping to have a waterbirth or at least labor in water. The first MW in the practice that I talked to recommended buying just a regular backyard pool with a pump, so I was all set to do that. But then the MW I saw this week recommended renting a birthing pool. I'm not sure what to do now. Does anyone have any experiences with this?

Mama to my sweet girl born at home 6/09
#7 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleshout View Post
We're leaning towards a homebirth but we have a couple of concerns. Has anyone homebirthed in an apartment with neighbors?
I did! We had neighbors on both sides and above us. We did not get any complaints.

Emily Wife to Luke and Mama to: Violet 9-20-05 Fletcher 12-20-07 : and Owen 7-03-09
#8 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Khi View Post
Add me to the tribe! This is my first baby and I'm so excited to have a homebirth! We have declined a routine ultrasound, but would consent, of course, if there was any sign of a medical need for one. I have let the MW use a doppler twice, but I'm going to see if she can use a fetoscope or stethoscope next time.

I'm at 16.5 weeks right now... it seems like it will be a very long time before baby comes.

I'm hoping to have a waterbirth or at least labor in water. The first MW in the practice that I talked to recommended buying just a regular backyard pool with a pump, so I was all set to do that. But then the MW I saw this week recommended renting a birthing pool. I'm not sure what to do now. Does anyone have any experiences with this?
I used this baby pool for my home birth, and it was great. It has the same or larger dimensions than most birth tubs.

http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_294903...n_pool_reviews

Emily Wife to Luke and Mama to: Violet 9-20-05 Fletcher 12-20-07 : and Owen 7-03-09
#9 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 03:58 PM

This is my 5th child but first HB. I too have been sitting here think, "maybe I am missing something." I have not had anything done. I will be 18 weeks in 2 days and I was thinking last night as i lay awake, unable to sleep, if I was doing something wrong. Normally, I have been to the doc several times and have tests done. And I am sitting over here, growing a baby. And all seems well. The MW is coming for her first official appointment in about 10 days. Then I guess I will get to hear the heartbeat. (i guess, i do not know)

Anyway, I am SOOOOO looking forward to not rushing to the hospital to have this baby. I can labor. Here. Really labor. Not lay in a bed and wait for the baby to be born. It seems so different, in my head anyway. And DH is so excited. He gets more excited all the time. My last 2 births, his bio-children, where very medical. Altho they were vaginal, it was still very medical. And he totally fazed out at the hospital. He hardly remembers a thing about it all.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#10 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 04:09 PM

I'm planning a homebirth too! I've been in to see our midwives twice so far at 17 weeks, but am not using doppler or ultrasound. Looking forward to hearing the heartbeat with the fetoscope, fairly soon. This is our first.

For the person asking about labor pools, there's tons of information in the birth forum under homebirth - there's a sticky about pools that's really useful: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=589333

I've pretty much decided to buy either the fishy pool ($15) or the Sevylor ($35).
#11 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 04:48 PM

I'm having my first baby and first homebirth in June! : So happy to see this tribe!
I've been trying to sort out the birthpool thing too. I'm leaning towards either the La Bassine, or renting an aquaduala. I'm mostly just concerned that our crappy hotwater tank won't be up to the task of keeping a pool without a heater warm! Maybe the trick will be to replace the hotwater heater before June...

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#12 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 05:09 PM

Homebirth here too! We have a large corner tub I'll be using.

We have also done doppler (once so far) and will be having one u/s.

This will be my first homebirth (2nd child).

SAHM CrossFitting mama to DS (6) and DD (3) and surprise #3 due in September!  winner.jpg familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36*heartbeat.gif*40**

#13 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 05:11 PM

We're planning a second homebirth, with the same midwife as the first time around. Or with her backup, since my mw is going on vacation 4 days after my due date! hmm. just hoping for this babe to come a tinge early.

I am on the fence about whether to get a pool. With ds we had all the supplies and never ended up using it or even setting it up at all - it just never crossed my mind once labor was actually happening.

I've used a doppler (actually I bought my own.. cheap on ebay) but have so far resisted using it more than a couple of times. I was a wreck early on, and really felt like I needed to hear the heartbeat.

Our homebirth #1 was in an apartment with neighbors & didn't have any problems. I never warned anyone that we we'd be having a baby upstairs, we just did it.
#14 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 06:18 PM

This will be our first baby who we're going to be having at home with a midwife. I can't wait. I wanted the doppler since I lost a baby at 9 1/2 weeks after hearing a heartbeat. I wanted to make sure he/she was ok in there. I'm having an ultrasound too, we're finding out the sex.
#15 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 06:38 PM

Count me in! It's nice to have a group that understands me. A lot of people are downright rude when I tell them that I'm not having any u/s or tests. They start defending why they are doing the tests and u/s, etc. Why do people get so defensive just b/c I'm doing things differently? I don't get all upset when somebody talks about a planned c/s.

Also it irritates me that people assume that we're just following some kind of fad and aren't concerned about our child's safety.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#16 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleshout View Post
If we end up homebirthing (still working on my H), we will be in an apartment. I don't have the kind of relationship with my neighbors where I could say anything to them in advance, so I hope I won't be too loud!

We were seeing an OB and MW team, whom I loved. They closed their practice though (rumor has it the hospital had had enough of their "ways") and so now I'm trying to figure out what to do. I think this is my sign that I should have a HB. DH is less confident. I'm hopeful that I can show him the light!
#17 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 07:09 PM

Tentatively joining you...

If I decide to hb, it will be an UC-VBAC. Dh is a little nervous because of that. I'm working on him. I have an appt in a few weeks with the midwives at the hospital nearby, so we'll see if they can convince me. (I doubt it!)

So, I'm joining, but still deciding.

Mama to ds12, dd9, dd3.5, and ds20mo, plus 15 cows, 2 dogs, 2 cats, chickens, ducks, turkeys, and bees!
#18 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 07:39 PM

"Also it irritates me that people assume that we're just following some kind of fad and aren't concerned about our child's safety."

This, a lot. I have a big mouth, and I really want homebirth to be seen as a fairly normal choice, so I talk about my plans regularly. Therefore, I get all sorts of fun statements like "But, what if something happens?" Uh, I go to the hospital. Duh! There are some people who seem to believe that I would refuse a c-section know matter what, and these are people who know that I'm generally well-informed, think things out thoroughly, and that I'm not insane.

Bah!

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#19 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 07:52 PM

I guess I am just bored too. I am reading every DDC's threads, just sitting here waiting. I had a wonderful homebirth with my first, and I don't care how much trouble it is going to be, I am doing the same this time. I'm 15 weeks, so I am due at the beginning of July, I think. I have had a hard time finding a midwife, and then when I finally found one, I was shocked with all the rules that my state forces pregnant women that want a homebirth to comply with.
I have an irregular heartbeat, and I always have. I had to see an OB at the beginning to 'clear' me for a homebirth, but when he heard my heartbeat, I was classified as 'high-risk', so I am now stuck having to UC. I am a little worried about it, but not as completely petrified as I would be about going to a hospital. Anyway, if anyone has any advice or anything... my boyfriend is supportive of whatever I decide to do... he is actually glad that I trust my body, as he does his.

sorry to butt in to ya'lls club, but this seemed like a thread that I had to post on... I am a little bit of a wreck.
#20 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 07:58 PM

We're planning a homebirth, hopefully it will be 3rd time lucky, as are first two planned homebirths turned into hospital births at different stages prior to labour, both for reasons we are happy with.

We have neighbours both sides (we live in a row house), I figure if we do disturb anyone, my husband will just have to glare at them and say we're having a baby, there isn't exactly much they can do about it and even if there was, the baby will probably be here by then!

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
#21 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 08:24 PM

Well I'm planning on a homebirth but right now it's up in the air due to these darn tumors on my uterus causing issues. I haven't had my first appt with my MW yet (it's next week) and was under an OBs care because I wanted to make sure all was good before I transferred. After being hospitalized last week and placed on bedrest I'm really starting to wonder if I've risked out or not. They have dealt with these type of issues before but it's so different on a case by case basis. I'm supposed to send them my records then they will let me know so everyone keep your fingers crossed.

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
#22 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 09:07 PM

This is our first baby and will be a homebirth!
I went to an ob at first and had one ultrasound ( which actually gave me peace of mind, because I was SOOOOOO sick my first trimester, I couldn't help worrying about the baby) but have switched over to a midwife and probably won't have another.
I get a little worried, like I should be doing something more, but my mom had all six of us kid's at home, no ultrasounds and minimal prenatal testing and had easy labors and healthy babies.
#23 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 09:30 PM

Welcome cry! If you are due really early in July, there's a good chance you could have a June baby anyways, so I don't see why you couldn't belong here too!

That sucks that you've been classified as high risk. I really think some doctors will take any opportunity to make things as complicated as possible!

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#24 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Isn't that feeling of being worried that you're not doing "enough" interesting? IMO, (and I think the research backs this) the very best thing to do IS nothing. Taking good care of ourselves (including our mental health/stress/worry) is all we need to be doing!

I love it that there are so many of us that are hbing/ucing!

#25 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 11:21 PM

I haven't read all the threads yet.

I plan on a homebirth for this one (which will likely be my last). I currently live in a condo, but we could move at any time, really. If we move we'll be looking for a house, or at least a duplex- something with a yard!

I am also on medicaid, and utah doesn't cover homebirths, so even though it could "technically" be free for us, I am paying out of pocket $1800. Medicaid will be used for back up in case of emergency, since we don't have insurance. I was transferred to the hospital from a birth center with DS, so it's important to me to have a back-up (not that I think anything will go wrong).

Anyway.. Hello Tribe!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#26 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 11:41 PM

Hello tribe!

This is my first homebirth, second child. My first child was born with a midwife in the hospital as planned. Even though I come from a supportive community of homebirthing friends, I just didn't (much to my disappointment) feel comfortable with it the first round. As it turned out, I wouldn't have been able to homebirth because of pih at 40 weeks. I labored long and hard while laying on my left side induced by pitocin w/o any pain meds last time, so this time I KNOW I CAN DO IT! Sad that I needed that reassurance, but glad that I have it now

I did have a 20 week ultrasound with an independent diagnostic technician (not at a doc office), just to check stuff out since I declined all testing. Well, and I'm one of those people who needs to know the sex. sigh. Helps me bond though, what can I say.

I just had my 20 week check up today with my midwife which consisted of blood pressure and quick urine check. Then the next hour was chit chat Love my midwife and her assistant. Love 'em!

We have an old jacuzzi I intend to scrub out and have available for use. Last time I realllllly enjoyed the shower for the 2 minutes I was allowed out of bed before my bp spiked back up, so I'm not going to assume I'll only want the bath. Luckily for us we have one of those on-demand tankless water heaters, so I'll have unlimited hot water at my disposal. The only part I have to get over is water wastage We're very conservative usually, being in California.

Anyway I'm completely jazzed to be homebirthing this time! :

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#27 of 91 Old 01-15-2009, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

With the apartment questions, I totally didn't connect that I gave birth in a condo last time and it was totally fine. No complaints about the birth. The crying baby on the other hand....

#28 of 91 Old 01-16-2009, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm having what I call a "homebirth away from home", as it's illegal for a trained attendant to attend a homebirth in my state. So we'll be driving 15 minutes across the state line to a rented house. The house supposedly has a *really* nice tub that is really big and great for birthing in. I can't wait to see it! We are determined to get me in the water this time... unless I have an insanely short labor like 30-45 minutes.

I use a CPM, and have for all 3 pregnancies. My first pregnancy ended up being a preterm hospital birth, due to PPROM. But second pregnancy was successful "homebirth away from home", and it was awesome. : Even my skeptical DH now believes strongly in out-of-hospital birth, having experienced both.

I do see an OB in tandem with my CPM, just because of my preterm history. IF I end up at a hospital preterm again, I want this particular OB, NOT the teaching group that I got stuck with last time. The residents were great, but the attendings, not so much. I didn't do any u/s in my first pregnancy, but 2nd and 3rd pregnancies I have/am doing two u/s. I've done my research and am comfortable with it, but I also completely understand the choice not to as well, as I've been there before too. So I'm cool with whatever someone chooses there! I do skip the GTT (I test a few times with a glucometer, since my dad is diabetic), and if I make it far enough to be offered the GBS test, I'll skip that too. And I skip the AFP/quadscreen test. I also make it a point to keep my pants on at all OB appts, except the dating u/s. So no dilation checks at end of pregnancy. My OB is very patient with women like me, although we haven't had the GBS discussion yet. Last time, I gave birth before the test was offered. I think he would have done it at the 37 week appt, and I delivered at 36w6d. But I have some good reasoning to not do the test (basically, we wouldn't be able to get abx in me unless we induced and started the abx before induction... I don't necessarily labor for the 4 hours needed! And that induction would probably have to happen preterm because I've never made it to 37 weeks). Knowing my GBS status simply would not change anything about my labor/birth and watching out for infection in baby.

Seeing an OB and CPM in tandem, I can really say that OB appts are boring and useless, and CPM appts are so awesome. Love my OB, but really, I could do all that at home, and my CPM is usually better at figuring out remedies to pregnancy ailments, whereas an OB will just say "Sorry, I can't do anything about that".

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#29 of 91 Old 01-16-2009, 02:50 AM

hi there, second time homebirther here. i am seeing the same midwife for care as i did with dd, and she happens to be the one i'm apprenticing for as well. i am also friends with the midwife who came as my midwife's assistant for dd's birth and she will be attending this birth too. the two of them are a great birth team! i'm also twiddling my thumbs at 19 weeks. babe was heard with the doppler at 11 weeks, and is now audible with the fetoscope. i'm foregoing the ultrasound this time too. just waiting for these next 5 months to go by...
#30 of 91 Old 01-16-2009, 11:17 AM

We are also homebirthing. We had tandam care with a cnm practice, which originally agreed to back-up our birth. They have since "forgotten" our agreement, which is ok based on my experience with them so far.

This is our second homebirth. The cpm that attended my ds's birth retired. We hired another cpm around 10 weeks. I like her, but I am not falling over happy with her. She is competent, and I have no doubt that she will respect our birthing wishes.

ETA: I had a waterbirth with my ds. I was not sure if I wanted to rent a tub or buy a pool, but I just ended up having him in our regular sized bathtub.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page