Not feeling any name inspiration - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwill129 View Post
I think we're going with Elsie if it's a girl and our 6 year old picked out the name Sam (Samuel) if it's a boy. We don't care too much about popularity, only that it goes with the other 3 kids' names, which are Max, Lucy and Gabe (Gabriel).
I love Elsie! When we chose Elise last time for a possible girl, my mom was concerned that people would mistake it for Elsie. Apparently my great grandmother (Elise) was always upset when confused with Elsie. . . but I happen to love Elsie as much, if not more than, Elise!

I wish DH felt the same

I also love Samuel for a boy, but one of my best friends in real life has a son by that name. I don't think I could use it. Fortunately, or unfortunately, DH doesn't care for it either
#32 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 03:52 PM

We have no names on our list...everyone keeps asking and we keep telling that we don't share names until birth. Whew...off the hook until then LOL!

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#33 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
the names have to sound good when they are yelled down the street to come home for dinner.

OH yes! We also think about it taking an oath of office, as a supreme court justice, preceded by "the Honorable/Reverend/Doctor" etc., on a diploma, and even bubbling it in for things like the SAT (too long/run out of spaces? haha) AND having a teacher try to pronounce it on a list full of kids' names. While we don't want to be too bland, we really don't want the kid to have to constantly explain or defend.

I wouldn't worry too much if it were super popular--it's definitely regional I am sure.

http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager

This website is awesome because you can see the popularity by year and region.

Calah, Darah, and Chloe are also girl Biblical names.

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#34 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 04:37 PM

voltige- here's a link to French names for boys:
http://french.about.com/library/trav...fr-names-m.htm

I had forgotten how nice some of the names are: Didier, Remi...

Of course in SC someone would say Dee-dee-ear because they have no clue.

If you like Luc, you could also consider Lucas

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
#35 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post
I was probably just getting obsessed over not choosing a popular name. It's nice to hear, though, that it's not a big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl2 View Post
I wouldn't worry too much if it were super popular--it's definitely regional I am sure.

Yep, definitely regional. DD's name was #9 the year she was born and I have never met another one. However, DS's name was in the 80s or 90s his year and we know several. There is a site (SSA, I think) where you can search by state for the top 5 of each gender.
#36 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
What if a name you loved WAS on the "popular" list? :

I am really torn, because the ONLY boy name I like is #33 on the 2007 list. (Jackson) And this is because when I was a little girl, my grandfather used to call me Jackson as a nickname (it's nowhere close to my real name, so it's kind of a goofy/cute nickname). Somehow it stuck with me, and it's sort of a "family name", but not, if you know what I mean.

I didn't want any name from the top 50 most popular. But I seriously don't have any others. I sort of liked Julian, Curran and Roman, but DH doesn't like them.

For girls, we like Francesca and India best, for now.
I hear you on this one, I really like the name Aiden...but I have ALWAYS had a problem with following the "trend"...I guess you just go with what you like, Jackson is a neat name, and has a neat meaning to you!

We pretty much have the decision made on a girl, have a couple possibilities for a boy...but I can't commit to either of them for some reason I love one of our friends last names to use as a first name...but somehow I don't know if that is "okay".

Isn't the name game fun!!!

Shawna- wife to DH, mother to DD (6-2009)
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****heartbeat.gif
#37 of 52 Old 01-21-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildnewmamma View Post
Isn't the name game fun!!!
I wish naming a child was as easy as naming a pet...
#38 of 52 Old 01-22-2009, 02:04 PM

I'm having the same problem. I'm having a girl (due in June), and I've got nothing. Maybe I'm just really picky, but I can't find any names I like. We know we don't want anything trendy (like in the top 50 most popular names), and nothing too unusual. Hopefully by June we'll have found something that has a nice flow with our last name.

If I do find one I like, I probably won't reveal it to people either, in case they groan & I change my mind!

"The decision to have a child is momentous because it is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.''
#39 of 52 Old 01-22-2009, 03:17 PM

We haven't put much thought into names yet. I do have a few written down that have crossed my mind.

Olivia
Sadie

If it's a boy I want Angus to be the middle name, but I know my h will fight that. He vetoed it with our son.

I tend to like short names which probably has something to do with having 9 letters in my name.
#40 of 52 Old 01-22-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieColinsMom View Post
If it's a boy I want Angus to be the middle name, but I know my h will fight that. He vetoed it with our son.
maybe we should switch husbands. Angus was the first name dh suggested if we have a boy, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#41 of 52 Old 01-22-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlin View Post
maybe we should switch husbands. Angus was the first name dh suggested if we have a boy, but it just doesn't do it for me.
sounds beefy.

I'm sooo sorry- I'm totally loopy and ready for a nap. Please forgive.

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
#42 of 52 Old 01-22-2009, 05:54 PM

I am due in June with my 2nd daughter. I am at a complete loss for names -- no that's not exactly true. The problem is that my husband and I can't agree. He likes Etta and Enid. I don't. I like Annalise and Julian and Evan. He hates all those names.

To make matters worse, we are trying to find a way to honor his mother, who is Winnetta. Not really all that great of a name. I like Winn, but he doesn't.

ARGH!

Our first daughter is Aislin Christine.
#43 of 52 Old 01-22-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclady View Post
sounds beefy.

I'm sooo sorry- I'm totally loopy and ready for a nap. Please forgive.
Unfortunately, that's the first thing I thought of too.

It's too bad, because the name has a great meaning, but the sound of it just doesn't work for me. DH likes it because of Angus Young.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#44 of 52 Old 01-22-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistles_in_Snow View Post
I am due in June with my 2nd daughter. I am at a complete loss for names -- no that's not exactly true. The problem is that my husband and I can't agree. He likes Etta and Enid. I don't. I like Annalise and Julian and Evan. He hates all those names.

To make matters worse, we are trying to find a way to honor his mother, who is Winnetta. Not really all that great of a name. I like Winn, but he doesn't.

ARGH!

I found this at http://www.mybaby-name.com/baby-name...inetta/54987/1 :
Winetta Name Meaning and Origin
The Name Winetta is a girl's name. The origin of the baby name Winetta is Italian with the meaning(s) depending on Gender/Origin being

Italian- God is my strength. A feminine form of Gabriel.
Winetta has the following similar or variant Names: Win Winetta Winette Winn Winne Wyn Wyna Wyne Wynet Wyneta Wynetah Wynete Wynett Wynetta Wynettah Wynette Wynne Gabriellia

If you want to honor his mom but hate all those names, maybe you could try using a name with a similar meaning? You can search for names by meaning, or even try using her middle name.

just a thought!

#45 of 52 Old 01-22-2009, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistles_in_Snow View Post

ARGH!

Does his mother go by Winnetta? Does she have any nicknames or other names she goes by? Middle names, as musiclady suggested?

Can you honor his mother's family by choosing a family name? We did this with our son, using the surname "Reed" as his middle name. I also know and like the girl's name my mom always wanted to use but was vetoed by my father and there's a fair chance we'll use that if we have a girl

That said, Winnetta could grow on me, especially Winn, or maybe Winnie for a girl. I also like Annalise.
#46 of 52 Old 01-23-2009, 12:14 AM

She goes by Winnie. Which I think sounds "cutesy." It fits her, but I don't know how much I like it. Her middle name is Marie, so we could go with that. Her family name is McCoy which might work except that when I suggested it, my husband said "you want this kid to have THREE last names?" The children's last name is hyphenated.

Argh.

I thought about an amalgam of the two grandmother's names -- Carolyn and Winnetta -- such as Carlotta -- but nope, husband doesn't like it.

My husband was also very fond of his McCoy grandmother but her name was Gladys! Even worse than Winnetta!
#47 of 52 Old 01-23-2009, 12:21 AM

i was just chatting with my sil (due in June too) about names this evening. They've picked their girl name, and the funny thing is that their middle name is the one we were thinking of. They are having just as hard a time with boys name though. her DH has come up with Blade, Gauge, and Shark so far. We came to the conclusion that it's a good thing that both our guys can't have babies on their own.

#48 of 52 Old 01-23-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
I've been obsessing with thoughts like...well, it was #33 in 2007 but what about 2008, did it move up in the ranks?!??

At least it's not in the top 20. That is how I will console myself if we go with this name.
My name went from 22 in 2007, to being predicted by babynames.com at #10 for 2008.

I don't care. I love the name and it's what I want.

It's also definitely a regional thing... SS has the breakdown of top 5 by state and their national ranking..
My state's top boys names for 2007: (the number is how many babies were named that name!)
1) Jacob 201
2) Ethan 179
3) Logan 147
4) Austin 122
5) Hunter 121

...definitely not what you'd expect to see!
#49 of 52 Old 01-23-2009, 04:12 PM

We've been having a hard time with this too! I'm just glad we are having a girl, because we had ZERO boys names that we both liked. DH loved Ezra and Harrison, while I adored Elias and Henry.

For a girl, we veto each other's name suggestions on a daily basis. We've run through two huge baby naming books already!! The only girl names we both like are: Samara, Sadie, Amelia, Hadassah, and Salome. My family will hate all of them.

For some reason Samara is really growing on me the last few days...I can totally picture her when I use that name! I see a little girl with darker skin and curly dark hair like her daddy, and big, dark eyes like mine. Watch her come out totally white like her mom, and have this exotic name to boot!!

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#50 of 52 Old 01-23-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieColinsMom View Post

Olivia
Sadie
These are my top two girl names, but I'm not crazy about either of them. I like Liv for a nickname if we go with Olivia, but DH doesn't care for it. By this time with DD we had a boy and girl name picked-so much different this time around!

Amanda
Mama to Amelia (9.8.06) and Jonah (6.19.09)
#51 of 52 Old 01-23-2009, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apparitions View Post
My state's top boys names for 2007: (the number is how many babies were named that name!)
1) Jacob 201
2) Ethan 179
3) Logan 147
4) Austin 122
5) Hunter 121
You know, having the raw numbers there is pretty helpful. If there are only 201 Jacobs in an entire STATE, what are your chances of your child having one in his class? Not as huge as you'd think when you see the name is #1. So once you get out of the top 10, I'm sure it's pretty low numbers. When you have thousands upon thousands of names being used in a state, the number of times an individual name will be used is pretty small, comparatively.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#52 of 52 Old 01-23-2009, 10:08 PM

according to ssa.gov, my 2 boy name choices (my already born DS Sebastian, and hypothetical DS Oliver) are not in the top 100 for my state :

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page