Small nursery? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 01-23-2009, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else worried about space for the nursery? At this point it looks like we'll be sharing a room with the baby, in the sense that ALL of her stuff will be there. Any tips on space saving stuff?

-I've already decided to put off the crib/bed until she's at least 6 months old, if not 9 months. We'll be using a co-sleeper (and that's not negotiable)
-I require a changing table and a dresser, and I'm wondering if the combo things work well. There are two downsides to that: 1) we might be getting a hand-me-down changing table, and 2) where do you store diaper stuff if not on the changing table?

We have plenty of closet space in other rooms, but I really hate hanging up clothing so I strongly suspect that I will want everything folded no matter what. Thus, dresser and not closet.

Also, what about toys? We already have quite the collection of baby toys (this is what happens when your SIL has a 2 year old and is totally done with babies), and I know that at some point we'll want them accessible. Ideas? I do have a hope chest at the end of my bed that I could re-organize and turn into a toy chest....

Basically, help?

edit: This would be a TOTAL non-issue if I could get my husband to stop working on his computer hobbies and actually finish flooring the room that is currently EMPTY and is intended to be the baby's room. But I'm really not looking forward to weeks of nagging and him not doing anything, so I need to make plans now.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#2 of 22 Old 01-23-2009, 06:43 PM

Don't have much to offer, but I have to say that I laughed out loud about the finishing the floor comment....

We have about 25 boxes of "wood" floor (laminate) that we were supposed to lay down TWO YEARS AGO. Still not done....

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
#3 of 22 Old 01-23-2009, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah......

We bought this house now almost 2 years ago, and actually expected to fully replace the flooring and paint every room in the month between close and move in. To our credit, we did paint every room and get the living room, dining room, and 2 bedrooms done.

Now we just have the baby's room, the stairs, and finishing touches on the hallway.

Seriously, at this point, we're pretty much trying to fit our whole family into a 2-bedroom house, one bedroom of which is the office/guest bedroom, and the other which is our bedroom. But oh, look, there's that TOTALLY EMPTY, UNUSED, DECORATED!!! room down the hall.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#4 of 22 Old 01-23-2009, 06:57 PM

We had a lovely "nursery" that so rarely got used Let's see. We have a dresser with three drawers, differing depths, that we also used for a changing table. We just put a contoured pad on top. We still use it, actually. Infant clothes take up very little space, so much of that dresser was used for storing diapers and diaper stuff. We also had a co-sleeper that was used to throw clean clothes into, etc. Our son slept there, oh, once or twice.

The crib in his room was never, ever used. We took it down and put it in storage at my parents house. Not planning to bring it back for this babe unless he/she surprises us and sleeps independently.

Put toys in the closet. You can get closet organizers for that kind of stuff.

This time I'm wondering where I'm putting the rocking chair. I spent a lot of time there with our son, late a night, with early nursings. I won't want it in our son's room- don't want to disturb him. Maybe there will be room for it in our bedroom.

It will all work out somehow!! Best laid plans, you know
#5 of 22 Old 01-23-2009, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Part of the problem with infant clothing is that, while they do take up little space, we're likely to get our daughter's full first year wardrobe in about 2 months. I'm loving that we can expect so many hand me downs, but there are a TON of hand me downs on the way.

I know some people don't use the co-sleeper, but I'm a big fluffy pillow and blanket person, and I know you're not supposed to have lots of fluffy stuff on the bed when you're co-sleeping. I'm not about to give up my greatest source of comfort at the most stressful time in my life. Thus, co-sleeper

My thought on the crib is for naps, and eventually a toddler bed, day bed, etc. I don't even plan to put the crib up right away, but everything else?

#6 of 22 Old 01-23-2009, 07:40 PM

we will be sharing a room with the baby, too, so we've been thinking about this. here are a couple of thoughts:

the handmedowns that don't fit the baby at the time, can they be stored elsewhere, like in one of the other closets/garage/etc?

we plan to keep most of the baby toys in the living room in baskets, etc. we're looking for a shelving unit of squares, basically, to put baskets in for organizing that stuff.

i think the dresser with a changing pad on top is a good idea.

if toys in another room isn't doable, what about putting shelves above the crib area with baskets on that? you know, if you are out of floorspace, use wallspace
#7 of 22 Old 01-23-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
Part of the problem with infant clothing is that, while they do take up little space, we're likely to get our daughter's full first year wardrobe in about 2 months. I'm loving that we can expect so many hand me downs, but there are a TON of hand me downs on the way.

I know some people don't use the co-sleeper, but I'm a big fluffy pillow and blanket person, and I know you're not supposed to have lots of fluffy stuff on the bed when you're co-sleeping. I'm not about to give up my greatest source of comfort at the most stressful time in my life. Thus, co-sleeper

My thought on the crib is for naps, and eventually a toddler bed, day bed, etc. I don't even plan to put the crib up right away, but everything else?
Okay, only pull out the newborn to 3 mos stuff at first, store the rest of the clothes in well labeled boxes or vacuum sacs. You really don't want all those clothes in the drawer all at once

I never intended to bed share either. Our son had very different plans. He just would NOT sleep unless one of us was holding him. As soon as we would lie him down he would wake and cry. It was truly frustrating. So I brought him in bed with me, tucked him into my arm, KEPT my fluffy blankets and pillows, and we both slept well. If you breastfeed and share a bed, you will have a very accute sense of where the babe is at all times. I was worried about blankets and pillows too. . . . until I was too exhausted and resigned to care- and everything worked out fine.

I really hope you get a good sleeper! Just be prepared to compromise on that bed sharing thing. But eh, you'll figure it out.
#8 of 22 Old 01-23-2009, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

"the handmedowns that don't fit the baby at the time, can they be stored elsewhere, like in one of the other closets/garage/etc?"

That might work. We do have plenty of storage space (and an entire UNUSED room...I'm annoyed, can't you tell?). The toys can't be in the living room as that's where I see my clients, and the place has to look relatively baby-free.

#9 of 22 Old 01-23-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
The toys can't be in the living room as that's where I see my clients, and the place has to look relatively baby-free.
ah, yeah, i can see the problem. maybe one of those things that hangs over the door and has pockets, for the smallish toys? bookshelf on the wall for baskets and books? drawers/bins under the bed?
#10 of 22 Old 01-23-2009, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I like the idea of putting the toys in closets if you have the room. Also, you don't need a TON of toys. Once baby is here, and once she actually starts playing with toys (that takes a while), you can see which ones she really likes and which ones she never plays with. Get rid of the ones she doesn't play with. For my two kids, I've got toys narrowed down to one small file box in the living room and one of those $3 wicker laundry baskets from Walmart in the den. I also have one of those baskets for stuffed toys in the living room. There's some more stuff in their rooms that I still need to purge through, but they mostly play in the living room and den.

Clothes - definitely put the bigger sizes in well labeled boxes/containers for later. I have a file box for each size range, from preemie on up to size 4T so far. Whenever it's time to move up a size, I go through the clothes that are out, put away what doesn't fit, and pull out the next size up that does fit. Pretty easy.

Sleeping - I usually have a pack-n-play in my room until baby sleeps through the night (usually around 2.5 months for my kids). Then they move upstairs to a crib. I don't want to have to go up the stairs in the middle of the night a million times, so that's why baby stays in our room at first. Perhaps with the baby in your room, your DH might get disturbed enough by both waking baby and all the stuff jammed into your room, that he'll get around to putting that floor down in the baby's room soon after she's born? I know my DH gets a lot less sleep when baby is in our room, and I end up nagging him a lot about making sure he's quiet when he goes to bed so he doesn't wake the baby that's been sleeping for a couple hours already.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#11 of 22 Old 01-23-2009, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I do co-sleep, and none of my kids ever used a crib, even for naps. They would nap in a swing, on a Boppy, or in my sling. I have a lot of fluffiness in my bed too. The way I get around having the baby in their too, is I rest their head kind of in my armpit, and their body right along mine. This is also perfect placement to just roll them a bit to breastfeed back to sleep, using my arm to prop up their back. This seems to have kept my kids the safest in my bed, and away from dh's flailing arms, since he doesn't realize when he flops over and lays his arm across their chests. (Thankfully I do, and that only happened once!)

As for a changing table...if you have an indoor laundry, do what I do... I put a bunch of baby blankets on top of the washer (I have front loaders, if you have a top loader, put the blankets on top of the dryer), making a "changing table pad" with the blankets. On top of the blankets I put two receiving blankets. On top of that I put two CPFs. Above my washer/dryer I have cabinets, though this will also work if you have shelves too just use baskets to separate everything... I stack the folded CDs on the shelves. I have two baskets on the dryer one for cloth wipes and one for wool covers. I happen to have my laundry room in a bathroom, so I also have towel racks to dry recently used wool covers on.

If you don't have indoor laundry, there are plenty of dressers out there that are nicely used as a changing table with a contoured changing pad on top. I've seen several on the craigslist around here that are specifically dressers that are also changing tables, so they have a "step" design on the top where you can use the smaller "step" for holding wipes and things. I know they sell these at BRU, but there's no way I'm paying $400 for a dresser...lol

As for the floor... is it a snap lock laminate? If so, trust me, those are *so* easy to put in, you seriously can do it yourself. I have! All you need to have is a Skil saw or a table saw. You can rent those from Home Depot, or borrow one from a neighbor! If you do happen to borrow from a neighbor, you may get lucky and barter for the neighbor to do it if you do something for them! We do that a lot in our neighborhood.

As for toys, I'd put them in rubbermaid bins and keep them in the garage until needed. I hate having an excess of toys in the house because my kids will eventually bring them all over the rest of the house and then get mad when they can't find anything!
#12 of 22 Old 01-24-2009, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Rikki, thanks for the ideas!

How do you have the blankets arranged when you co-sleep? Because the way I'm imagining it, you'd have the baby UNDER the blanket totally.

Yes, the flooring is indeed snap-lock laminate, but it's not that easy. The snapping is no problem, but a) you have to have all the pieces cut so that you stagger the seams, and b) have to slide/hammer them in lengthwise. I'm just not good enough with that whole spatial thing to figure out the piece lengths (we've tried) and I don't have the strength to hammer it all together. That said, I am better, more comfortable, and more experienced with the power tools, so I do the vast majority of the sawing

We do have indoor laundry, and the room is near our bedroom, but it's rather small and has no storage. The reason I'm so fixated on having a changing table is that when my mom had my sister when I was 8, my bed, with me in it, became the changing table. Getting woken up in the middle of the night by poopy diapers on your feet sucks, and because of my own issues with this I require a changing table. Plus it has to be in our room as I'd like to wake up as little as possible in the middle of the night.

My husband comes from a huge family, and everyone likes buying stuff for the babies. Between that and my SIL giving us all her baby stuff, we're expecting lots, and even with having no qualms about dumping the stuff we don't like it's getting a bit excessive. I already have one large rubbermaid thing full of clothing, toys, blankets, etc., and we haven't acquired much at all! I don't want to toss good stuff, but storing it should be fun!

#13 of 22 Old 01-24-2009, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam
How do you have the blankets arranged when you co-sleep? Because the way I'm imagining it, you'd have the baby UNDER the blanket totally.
Okay, yes the baby is under the blanket, but the way I'm sleeping my body holds the blanket up off of the baby... I don't know if you can picture that, but the way I arrange it, it's more like a tent would be over the baby.

Quote:
Yes, the flooring is indeed snap-lock laminate, but it's not that easy. The snapping is no problem, but a) you have to have all the pieces cut so that you stagger the seams, and b) have to slide/hammer them in lengthwise. I'm just not good enough with that whole spatial thing to figure out the piece lengths (we've tried) and I don't have the strength to hammer it all together. That said, I am better, more comfortable, and more experienced with the power tools, so I do the vast majority of the sawing
Okay, the way I do it is this: Lay your first row from left to right. The ends snap together, no hammering needed. When you get to the last piece for that row, measure and cut the last piece to fit (put the board length upside down on the last full board, push it to the spacer at the wall, and make the cut line where the overlap is). Flip the last piece around and put it at the beginning of the next row. Make the next row, laying from left to right, measure and cut the last piece ala the previous row. Then, take the entire row and it will all snap at once into the previous row. Repeat, ad nauseum...

Quote:
We do have indoor laundry, and the room is near our bedroom, but it's rather small and has no storage. The reason I'm so fixated on having a changing table is that when my mom had my sister when I was 8, my bed, with me in it, became the changing table. Getting woken up in the middle of the night by poopy diapers on your feet sucks, and because of my own issues with this I require a changing table. Plus it has to be in our room as I'd like to wake up as little as possible in the middle of the night.
Because of your experience, I probably shouldn't advise this... but when I don't want to get out of bed, I keep a peri bottle, a few wipes, and dipes on my night table. I change the baby on the bed, in between my legs while I'm sitting up on the bed, put the dirty diaper and wipes in a wet bag that's on the floor. Done.

I'm glad that you're getting lots of hand-me-downs... I love those. Unfortunately, this is the first baby in 5 years for our families and everyone has gotten rid of their stuff. It's too funny, normally I'd have hung on to everything we had still, but last year I had a garage sale and sold all the baby stuff! Not that it would have mattered for this baby...it was all pink!
#14 of 22 Old 01-24-2009, 02:41 PM

I don't know if this is an option for you, but I find myself in similar situations with the husband frequently! I would call and get 2 estimates for having the flooring done. You could just tell the husband (kindly, gently) that the floor needs to be done soon, you don't want to nag, but obviously he doesn't have time to do it. Here are two estimates and you recommend they go with the cheaper one. No biggie. Usually -- at this point -- my uber-thrifty husband magically finds the time to get the job done.

Just an idea....
#15 of 22 Old 01-24-2009, 03:03 PM

No nursery in our two-bedroom house.

I was hesitant about co-sleeping the first time around too, especially with twin babies. I just worried about the safety of it. We didn't buy a co-sleeper because everyone we knew who had bought one never ended up using it (as more than a pillow holder, at least), but instead we used two moses baskets for the first week or so. The babies slept in the moses baskets on top of our bed (a king-sized mattress on the floor) until I realized that I actually felt SAFER with the babies right on my body, where I could feel them and know that they were breathing, etc.

Comfy fluffy pillows and blankets are one thing in regards to comfort, but not having to sit up or wake up to nurse the baby is pretty hard to resist. With our third baby, we skipped the moses basket stage, and we will with this fourth baby as well (also, since it will be summer, we won't have the heavy down comforter on the bed anymore).

We do have a changing table, and it's set up in our mudroom (right next to the washer and dryer). We use it sometimes, but since our bedroom is upstairs, we'll likely just use one of those contoured changing pads on top of our bed, at least for middle-of-the-night changes. We are planning to keep the baby's clothes in a drawer under one of our older kids' bed.

And our living room has already been totally converted into a playroom, so toy storage is not an issue.

I did find it fun to decorate a nursery the first time around, but we really never used it (and we sort of knew that we wouldn't use it, even as we were decorating it). I think the babies slept in the crib for one nap one time. But I loved sitting in the rocking chair in there when I was pregnant, and imagining the days to come.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#16 of 22 Old 01-24-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistles_in_Snow View Post
I don't know if this is an option for you, but I find myself in similar situations with the husband frequently! I would call and get 2 estimates for having the flooring done. You could just tell the husband (kindly, gently) that the floor needs to be done soon, you don't want to nag, but obviously he doesn't have time to do it. Here are two estimates and you recommend they go with the cheaper one. No biggie. Usually -- at this point -- my uber-thrifty husband magically finds the time to get the job done.

Just an idea....

Maybe I should try that too?

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
#17 of 22 Old 01-24-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
1) we might be getting a hand-me-down changing table, and 2) where do you store diaper stuff if not on the changing table?
A friend of mine built shelves above the changing area to store the diapers and stuff.

I made a nursery for DS and hardly used it. It was useful for storage though! We use it now that DS is older, but he still doesn't sleep in there.. he is in a pack in play in the living room!

With #2 on the way, I plan on pretty much keeping it the way it is, except getting a bigger dresser and baskets for the changing table to separate diapers. Pretty much it will still be used as storage and changing areas

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#18 of 22 Old 01-24-2009, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Woot! I talked to the husbandman today, and he laid out plans to get the "nursery" (what is officially known in our house as the monkey room because this is what it looks like) done in time for the baby! We has a plan!

We also talked about room layouts in case the monkey room isn't done in time, and I think we have a workable plan!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

#19 of 22 Old 01-25-2009, 01:01 AM

Glad to hear that your hubby came up with a game plan. And I'm so relieved to hear I'm not the only one that has a house in transition...and a husband that forgets his motivation In his defense, he does build houses for a living, so I can understand where he would get tired of it. Plus in all actuality things are moving along in spurts, so it sounds like I really shouldn't complain. We had this HORRIBLE burgandy colored carpet when I bought my house, it would literally need vacuumed every 5 minutes because it showed EVERYTHING, and with three dogs it doesn't take much! The laminate flooring is FANTASTIC...but I agree snapping the pieces together just isn't my thing. Now I'm waiting on the bathroom to get finished and the kitchen counters and backsplash, but the baby room is pretty much ready

I did go ahead and get a co-sleeper, I was having a hard time deciding if I wanted to spend the money on it if it could potentially not work out, but it was half price at the consignment store, and looked brand new, so I thought why not! I'm leaning toward not getting a crib...at least to start. My only concern is my hubby will very likely be going back to work long before I have to, so I don't want him to lose too much sleep.

My problem is what to do with the rest of my stuff...I have a fair number of hobbies...so my spare bedroom turned into my stuff room, but no room for a bed I really need someone to help me get organized...I'm sure there is a way to make it all fit.

I really like the use of a dresser as a changing table...because it can continue to be used long after being a changing table. Although the idea to use the washer/dryer is pretty good too...and saves money!

Shawna- wife to DH, mother to DD (6-2009)
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****heartbeat.gif
#20 of 22 Old 01-25-2009, 01:27 AM

I'm another cosleeper with a big fluffy down comforter(s) and big pillows on my bed (sanctuary). Like a pp said, I slept with my son in the crook of my arm. My husband made a cosleeper for us... and I put my son in it once and he did sleep.... but I didn't! He felt too far away When he was brand new I did make a little nest for him on a thin pillow (I should add the caveat that this will all sound like no-no advice from co-sleeping safety people ) with a towel rolled up at the top in a U and a pillowcase over the whole thing. We put it him in that up by our heads for the first few weeks because I was a little paranoid about the safety issue of having a new baby in our bed! After we were both comfortable, we got rid of it. I'll be skipping it this time just because I feel like an old pro now!

We live in a 700 sq foot, one bedroom home. Baby stuff just really doesn't take up much room (unless you buy all the contraptions and gadgets which we did not). We are adding a room on right now for alllll the kid stuff because while one fits fine I can't imagine stuff for two!

Our contour changing pad was on top of a dresser I bought for under $200 at Target. There is room for the changing pad, diaper stash, pile of wipes and squirt bottle and powder all on the top of it. I think I did have a stool next to it too for something else? Can't remember. It was all pretty easy though. And a step can for the dirty dipes and wipes. Infant dipes are so little!

Toys won't be an issue for at least 6 months. They are kind of a blob before then

as an aside: BOSCOPUP! You have had 2 kids who starting sleeping through the night at 2.5 months? WHAT? My son didn't do that until he was 18 months old! ENVY!

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#21 of 22 Old 01-25-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Woot! I talked to the husbandman today, and he laid out plans to get the "nursery" (what is officially known in our house as the monkey room because this is what it looks like) done in time for the baby! We has a plan!

We also talked about room layouts in case the monkey room isn't done in time, and I think we have a workable plan!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I really, really like your monkeys. We're decorating in monkeys- greens and tans. I'm making a monkey quilt for Lilah, although she won't use it for a while...

Did you paint them yourself?

#22 of 22 Old 01-25-2009, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Nope, the house came like that. Being that I love all things monkey, to the point it's the husbandman's pet name for me, this was a selling point. We're planning on leaving the design, but changing the color because I hate pink. Especially all of the pink in that room (and OMG is there a ton of pink)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page