June 09 Homebirthing Tribe for February - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 90 Old 02-08-2009, 01:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the comments on the differences between the two books! I don't want to overwhelm myself with too much reading, or I just won't do it. Yet I don't really have a book right now, so I need to get something...I will probably start with trying to get my hands on Guide to Childbirth, and take it from there. Is there a list of good books anywhere on the forum that folks know of?

Shawna- wife to DH, mother to DD (6-2009)
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****heartbeat.gif
#62 of 90 Old 02-08-2009, 03:15 AM

I don't know if there's a list, but here's what my midwife gave me:

Spiritual Midwifery
Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth
Birthing from Within
Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth

Whatever you do, DO NOT read Husband Coached Childbirth by Dr. Bradley, which is different from The Bradley Method....... (not by Bradley). I made that mistake, and regretted it sorely. Husband Coached Childbirth is terribly misogynistic and deeply disturbed.

I've also had The Birthing Partner recommended to me, and Dr. Sears' books.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#63 of 90 Old 02-08-2009, 01:07 PM

I've read:

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
The Thinking Woman's Guide
The Birth Partner
The Official Lamaze Guide
Birthing from Within

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#64 of 90 Old 02-09-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
Yes, I am! Due first week of June/last week of May, so I lurk some over there. Post here more tho'.

Yay, that's fun stuff can work both ways. I sorted my baby stuff when shew as about 8-9 months and out of all the little stuff. I have a tubful of boy clothes, I'm hoping for a boy, but two girls close would be sweet too. Funny, I've really been rooting for a boy, but when I think about Elisabeth having a sister, aww, I kinda melt. And dressing them alike, well, maybe so much of our clothes are thriftstore, lol. But I soooo want to sew matching outfits for E and I for Easter. I'd better get on it! Totally OT!

I've read a ton of books, I love Baby Catcher. I am doing HypnoBabies, just got the materials from a friend this week. I would be interested in your reading list. I've started a Natural Mamas group and like to collect as many books as I can.

I kinda want to throw a blessingway for myself and several friends that are pregnant at the same time. I don't need baby stuff!

Okay, Rixa Freeze. Is that someone on here or an author, she sounds familiar?

Ditto. I was so horrified at how much they'd drink to stop contractions in SM. some stories were awesome, and some were weird. It was very hippie and seventies. I liked IMGtCB much better.
Congratulations! That's when I'm due too, so I've been in both DDCs too. Even though my first came at 38 weeks, for some reason I think that this baby will be after the guess date and in June. Its still kind of early but how are you doing processing birth trauma in relation to this coming birth?

I'm doing Hypnobabies too and just got the materials a couple of days ago. I need to get them on my Ipod so I can listen tonight. Rixa (Freeze) and I split the cost of materials. She is the blogger at Stand and Deliver (used to be the True Face of Birth or rixarixa.blogspot.com. I think she's got the best pregnancy and birth blog I regularly read. She's an academic on the topic of midwifery and birth. I highly recommend her blog anyway. She is on here too. Her user name is rixafreeze not surprisingly.

Let's see...books I've read:
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
A Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth (and my copy has been signed by Henci Goer too!)
Born in the USA
Pushed
Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering
Unassisted Homebirth
Unassisted Childbirth
Heart and Hands (a midwifery textbook)
The Birth Partner
Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn
Hypnobirthing
Christ Centered Childbirth (an ebook from spiritledbirth)

On my library reading list, I've got:
Birth Crisis
Birth as an American Rite of Passage
Dr. Sears' Birth Book
The Mothering Magazine Guide to Natural Childbirth or whatever it is called
I'm about to order a copy of a book published by TABS in NZ on birth trauma.
Last night I found a couple of more books with chapters addressing issues related to birth trauma too but I don't remember the titles now.

About the blessingway, I wish those were standard cultural practice instead of baby showers. I hate the emphasis on obnoxious parenting advice and baby clothes. I'm really excited to be able to participate in one. I truly think every mama deserves one.

Lol about being excited about either a boy or girl. Do you have a feeling either way? My feeling was so strong that having it confirmed by ultrasound was basically unnecessary with both my pregnancies. I wonder if I'll be able to go three for three with the next pregnancy but maybe it won't matter because there will be one of each already??

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#65 of 90 Old 02-09-2009, 03:53 PM

I have been planning on using my bedroom- if I rearrange the furniture, it should be enough room, and the proximity of the bathroom would make for easy filling/drainage. My only two problems are 1. we live in a townhosue on a military base, and I am afraid of bothering the neighbors ( whose coughing I can hear during the night, through the bedroom wall) and 2. I am nervous about the floor being able to hold the birth tub up... I am planning on using a corner of teh room where the floor supports are strongest, but I am nervous about asking base housing " hey, I'm planning on popping out a tiny person in the upstairs of our townhouse...and using 100 gallons of water to do it...so you think the floor will hold ?"
I could see the looks now.... Heather
#66 of 90 Old 02-09-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthis View Post
"hey, I'm planning on popping out a tiny person in the upstairs of our townhouse...and using 100 gallons of water to do it...so you think the floor will hold ?"
Heather, instead of telling them that, why not ask them if you're allowed to have a waterbed on the upper floors of your house? I think they probably wouldn't look at you funnily if you asked that...
#67 of 90 Old 02-10-2009, 12:53 AM

Hi Ladies, I have not had time to read through this entire thread, but wanted to subscribe. This will be my second home birth and I'm very excited about it. Now I need to get the kids to bed, but I'll come back to read more tomorrow

Mama to three - DD : 1/03, DS 2/06, and DS 6/09.
#68 of 90 Old 02-10-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I have been planning on using my bedroom- if I rearrange the furniture, it should be enough room, and the proximity of the bathroom would make for easy filling/drainage. My only two problems are 1. we live in a townhosue on a military base, and I am afraid of bothering the neighbors ( whose coughing I can hear during the night, through the bedroom wall) and 2. I am nervous about the floor being able to hold the birth tub up... I am planning on using a corner of teh room where the floor supports are strongest, but I am nervous about asking base housing " hey, I'm planning on popping out a tiny person in the upstairs of our townhouse...and using 100 gallons of water to do it...so you think the floor will hold ?"
Yeah, I'd ask about the water bed and not mention the birth thing. While the military medical system or your or your DH's command can't stop you from planning a homebirth, unfortunately base housing can. I've heard from other military moms who've had the housing office try to evict them over planning a homebirth, and since they technically own all the base housing they do have that authority. Once upon a time there was a military moms thread in the Finding Your Tribe section. I don't know if it's still active because I stopped reading it when I got out of the military, but if it's still there it might help you with finding out more about how to deal with the military side of things regarding your homebirth and getting the baby added to DEERs and all that stuff.

Oh, and I wouldn't worry about the noise...most laboring women really aren't that loud and the noises women in labor do make sound an awful like the ones people make while having sex. It'll really give your neighbors something to talk about, lol!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#69 of 90 Old 02-10-2009, 07:49 PM

[QUOTE=jenneology;13155560]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenneology View Post
Congratulations! That's when I'm due too, so I've been in both DDCs too. Even though my first came at 38 weeks, for some reason I think that this baby will be after the guess date and in June. Its still kind of early but how are you doing processing birth trauma in relation to this coming birth?
About the blessingway, I wish those were standard cultural practice instead of baby showers. I hate the emphasis on obnoxious parenting advice and baby clothes. I'm really excited to be able to participate in one. I truly think every mama deserves one.

Lol about being excited about either a boy or girl.
Mine was fortunately more disappointing than traumatic, but I have dealt with a lot of anger. It helped recently talking with a friend who's a midwife, she was talking about her first birth and commented that she didn't blame the staff at the hospital but knew they were doing what they were trained to do. Which is helpful in some cases, not all, but mine, yeah.
Sigh for blessingways. I have a friend I was supposed to set on up for, I was busy and just didn't get around to it. I feel really bad, and she would 'get' wanting to have one, but do you ask, when you copped out on someone? She isn't upset, laughed and said do one for me next time I'm pg.

I've read or want to read most of those books. TWG is good for planning for a hospital birth, IMO. I want to read Ina May' Guide and a couple my midwife is bringing next appt, I forget the titles.

I think this one is a boy. I called DD 'she' all the way thru and she was!

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#70 of 90 Old 02-10-2009, 08:47 PM

Tallking about big babies . . . . My fourth child (a boy) was born at home in our bathtub weighing 10 lbs and 12 oz. The birth was a little long, but other than that is was fine. Big babes are awesome : ) I believe if your body can grow a baby that size then it can a baby that size out (barring any unusual complications - diabetes, etc.)
#71 of 90 Old 02-10-2009, 08:50 PM

Breech baby question - I wanted to post this in the homebirth section since that is what we are planning again. My baby is breech right now. I'm not worried since I'm sure he/she will turn by labor, but it has brought up the question in my mind of what would I do if the baby was breech when I went into labor! Would you have a breech baby at home? My midwife will deliver breeches at home and has done so several times, but I am not sure how I feel about it. What are all of your thoughts on this issue?? I would love to hear your ideas! Thanks!
#72 of 90 Old 02-10-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymcnair6 View Post
Breech baby question - I wanted to post this in the homebirth section since that is what we are planning again. My baby is breech right now. I'm not worried since I'm sure he/she will turn by labor, but it has brought up the question in my mind of what would I do if the baby was breech when I went into labor! Would you have a breech baby at home? My midwife will deliver breeches at home and has done so several times, but I am not sure how I feel about it. What are all of your thoughts on this issue?? I would love to hear your ideas! Thanks!
I would definitely deliver a breech baby at home with an experienced midwife. I think it is Henci Goer's A Thinking Woman's Guide... that has some really good info about the safety of delivering breech babies. In fact, I would be afraid not to have the baby at home for fear of being railroaded into an unnecessary c-section.

Mama to my sweet girl born at home 6/09
#73 of 90 Old 02-11-2009, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know of any research that supports c-section vs. vaginal birth of a breech baby - I just think that doctors aren't trained anymore in how to do a breech delivery (for example, I think they're not supposed to touch the baby so as to not startle it). There are lots of good vids of breech homebirths out there if that kind of thing would help you.

For myself, I can't imagine a situation in which I would rather have a hospital vaginal birth than a homebirth. If I truly need a c-section, than so be it, but I wouldn't ever want to have a hospital vaginal birth - not even with breech or with multiples.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#74 of 90 Old 02-11-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Would you have a breech baby at home? My midwife will deliver breeches at home and has done so several times, but I am not sure how I feel about it. What are all of your thoughts on this issue??
If I had a breach baby, I would be much more comfortable having it at home with a midwife who had delivered breech babies before, than in a hospital with a Dr. who hadn't.
That said, around here having a breech baby in a hospital setting would require walking in the door pushing (ie, too far along to do a c-section), vaginal breech deliveries "aren't allowed" - which is just sad in my book. I know that supposedly no-one can force a woman to have a c-section, but there are many forms of coercion that come pretty close to forcing.

#75 of 90 Old 02-11-2009, 09:22 PM

Rikki,
thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I alrady know their answr to that one. I don't think it is because the floor can't hold the water bed, but becase they do't want to deal withthe possibility of leaks. We have personal renter's insurance ( on top of what the base automaticaly provides) so I don't think that temporarily having it in the house is that big of a deal ( and I don't really want to invite everyone else's opinions into the matter either) but it's just one more thing figure out.
Heather
#76 of 90 Old 02-11-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Rikki,
thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I alrady know their answr to that one. I don't think it is because the floor can't hold the water bed, but becase they do't want to deal withthe possibility of leaks. We have personal renter's insurance ( on top of what the base automaticaly provides) so I don't think that temporarily having it in the house is that big of a deal ( and I don't really want to invite everyone else's opinions into the matter either) but it's just one more thing figure out.
Heather
Well, a birth pool like la bassine holds about 450 litres of water, so somewhere between 900 and 1000 lbs. Per square foot, that's really not that heavy, and it won't be there for long. I think I saw one website that basically said if your floors are sturdy enough that you could invite 3 or 4 big football players over, and not worry if they stood in a group to talk, you'll probably be OK. Our house is about 70 years old too, so I was initially worried about it, but now I'm pretty comfortable that our floors won't collapse.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#77 of 90 Old 02-11-2009, 09:41 PM

I asked my midwife specifically about water spillage and leak issues. She said that as long as you put down a tarp you don't have much splashing, and the fishy pool is almost impossible to bust. She goes through 40 a year and has never had a leak or pool-splosion.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#78 of 90 Old 02-11-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
I would absolutely have a baby at home. Your midwife has had experience with breeches, so you're good to go!

My midwife (and what I've read) has said that the biggest danger is cord prolapse, and that's with a footling presentation, but if your water breaks she said to feel for the cord; it has a pulse. That is one of the few things I would transfer for, obviously you cannot safely deliver a baby over a prolapsed cord.

But the bum and the head are the same circumference generally, I've read. With frank breech (butt first), the risk of cord prolapse is .5 instead of .4 with a head presentation. (Wikipedia, not the greatest source)

I would refuse to have c/s just because of breech and of course, nowadays, drs. are not even trained how to safely deliver babies. And trying to get a successful breech birth at a hospital, huh, I'll just stay home, thank you very much.

This is my thread with questions I asked just a couple weeks ago.

And this is the awesome video I saw and was like OMGoodness, breech births aren't so scary.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#79 of 90 Old 02-11-2009, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

that vid is AMAZING! Notice on her blog she has links at the bottom to other breech birth vids if you're interested.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#80 of 90 Old 02-11-2009, 11:42 PM

I am going to do everything in my power to ensure optimal positioning, but if the baby is breech anyway then I still want to deliver at home. If I was at a hospital, I think I'd rather have a c/s since doctors here don't know anything about delivering breech babies.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#81 of 90 Old 02-12-2009, 12:13 AM

I probably would not have an intentional vaginal breech birth because if I knew that ds was breech, I would get the Webster technique done. When done properly, it pretty much always works unless there is a physical reason preventing the baby from turning. In which case, I would probalby rather have a c-section. In general, vaginal breech birth is safe if left hands off. There are some additional risks but the risks are still low. Still, my last ds was breech at 38 and 39 weeks. Webster worked and I'm glad. Ds was born with a HUGE head and bizarrely thin body (shoulders, butt, etc). He was (and is) like a bobble head doll, lol. It took a really really long time to not only labor but also push his head out.
#82 of 90 Old 02-12-2009, 02:12 AM

I would definitely stay home if baby was breech. The current research shows that there is no difference in outcome between a vaginal breech birth with a trained attendant and a c/s for breech (not counting the risks already associated with a c/s!) The problem with attempting a vaginal breech birth in a hospital is that most OBs today don't have any training with vaginal breech deliveries. So in my book it's either vaginal breech at home or go to the hospital for a c/s. I wouldn't trust an untrained OB not to freak out and try to pull the baby out.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#83 of 90 Old 02-16-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishWSU View Post
I wouldn't trust an untrained OB not to freak out and try to pull the baby out.
Or in my friends case, push a halfway out frank breech back up and then send her for and emergency csection!

Kim, wife to my best friend and high school sweetheart. :
Mom to DD1 (2/06) : and DD2 (6/09) :
#84 of 90 Old 02-16-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelsMommy View Post
I am going to do everything in my power to ensure optimal positioning, but if the baby is breech anyway then I still want to deliver at home. If I was at a hospital, I think I'd rather have a c/s since doctors here don't know anything about delivering breech babies.
What can you do to ensure optimal positioning? I currently go to the chiro regularly and I've heard that helps, anything else?

And I agree, breech at home (which is what I would do) or c/s at hospital. Most docs just don't know how to deliver a breech.

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#85 of 90 Old 02-16-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieHugger View Post
Or in my friends case, push a halfway out frank breech back up and then send her for and emergency csection!
That scares me too! I know (well, internet know-she's another surrogate) a woman who delivered twins-baby A was head down and baby B was frank breech. after baby A was born the doctor reached in and pulled baby B out by his feet, resulting in not only a lot of damage to her perineum but the baby had a broken femur! Um, she had just delivered one baby head first, I'm pretty sure she could have gotten the second one out butt first just fine. I was totally appalled when I read her birth story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyetamommy View Post
What can you do to ensure optimal positioning? I currently go to the chiro regularly and I've heard that helps, anything else?
www.spinningbabies.com has great info about positioning.

#86 of 90 Old 02-18-2009, 05:06 PM

I'm another who would stay home for a breech vaginal birth. I would likely to change my plans to UC and make sure that my midwife is there for hands on if needed.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#87 of 90 Old 02-18-2009, 06:19 PM

With an experienced care provider and a frank breech presentation I'd be way more comfortable staying home. If the baby was footling breech, I'm not sure what I'd do.
Of course, I'd be trying everything I could to get that baby to turn head down first as well.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#88 of 90 Old 02-19-2009, 02:28 AM

i'm not sure what i'd do if this one stays breech (he was still breech as of last week). i'd like a hands off breech birth at home with my midwife. dh is on board with whatever i choose. i think it'd come down to me deciding a few weeks before labor, and the vibe i get about my birth. the vibe i have right now is that my baby knows how he needs to be born. i want to encourage him to turn, but we still have a little more time before i think i need to do that.
#89 of 90 Old 02-19-2009, 10:48 AM

I have no idea if my babe is breech or not. I have had no U/S. But it FEELS like the baby is breech. The only kicks I feel are ON my cervix and slightly higher. I have been reading the spinningbabies.com site to see what and when I should start doing something.

It makes me nervous. I have mixed feelings on doing a breech home delivery. I am not sure what I would do.

At just 22 weeks, could my midwife tell if the baby is breech just from feeling? I can not tell anything when I feel my uterus. But then again, I am not trained.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#90 of 90 Old 02-19-2009, 12:20 PM

A trained midwife can generally tell which position a baby is in as soon as she can begin to feel specific body parts, its possible by 22 weeks depending on how the baby is positioned in the womb.
I would not wory at all about baby positioning for a while yet. There is still lots of room at this point for babys to move around, and they do as a way to excersize.
I think its sometime around 35 weeks that it starts getting more concerning (that is totally off the top of my head). I have a friend who is pregnant and due very soon. At 37 weeks she started regularly having the webster technique done. It took about a week and a half, but the baby finally turned yesterday. Once they are head down that late in the journey, they are unlikely to turn again.
I think just as importanat as baby being head down is being in the right position front to back, but no one mentiones that. To encourage that one lean forward a lot and never sit for a long time leaning back. Again, more important later than now, but I've been working on developing sitting forward as a habbit now so its easier later.
If you are worried about your baby's position, ask your midwife both what position baby is in and if you need to wory about it or at what point it becomes a concern if baby is not in the correct position.
I do know babys can turn on thier own at almost any point up to birth, so again, I wouldn't wory now

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page