March Homebirthing Tribe for June 2009 - Spring is Coming! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 03-04-2009, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last week we visited my MIL. She asked TONS of questions about the MW and the HB. She said "have you even SEEN a doctor?" I said no. She said "Rebecca, you are worrying me, you are really worrying me!" She asked how many births the MW has done, how many years experience she has, where she went school, how many kids she has. The list goes on. Finally I said, I can send you a link to her webpage if you'd like. It was really annoying.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 59 Old 03-04-2009, 11:34 PM

My MIL was concerned about my HB too.. but my answer for the "what ifs" are- I'll go to the hospital. My mw's knew when to transfer me last time, and she will this time too, IF something happened.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#33 of 59 Old 03-05-2009, 02:23 AM

I have to say I'm SO GLAD I'm in the opposite position. My MIL had 5 homebirths, including my husband. Needless to say, I've gotten no family grief about my birth plans. Now, other people are a whole different story.....

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#34 of 59 Old 03-05-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
Rachaelsmommy, the problem is this is quite probably the last year one can get even an illegal homebirth outside of the Chicago area (I'm in Illinois). It is probable my midwife will be moving to a state where she can actually practice, the other midwives won't take new clients, and that means my next baby I'm either going to have to go unassisted, crash with my in-laws in Chicago, or go to The Farm (an 8 hour drive). So yeah, homebirth in Illinois is going to get extremely difficult from now on.

The bill died in committee today. The AMA spent MILLIONS to defeat it.
I'm sorry to hear that. I wasn't meaning that m/w shouldn't be legalized, I was just sharing what my m/w said, b/c it took me by surprise that she wasn't for legalization. Then again where I live, it's not illegal, it's just not exactly legal, and she can't carry oxygen or pitocin. I just wish there was a way for it to be legal without a bunch of red tape. I find it strange that we have the choice whether or not to bring the baby into the world, but not over where and how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR33 View Post
Hi everyone! I usually post on the July forum since I was so late with my last one but I've been feeling a lot more confident about a June baby these last 2 mos. I'm due june 30 so who knows what month this babe will be born!

I envy those with energy! I'm so freaking big this time around-all belly! I have the stereotypical "basketball under the shirt" look. And I'm only 23 wks. I'm already suffering from serious muscle pulls in the groin and waddle already!

Anyway, I'm having my first homebirth after my DH had to catch my last one in our van...he decided staying home was easier

I'm going to start the Hypnobabies home course in a few weeks-anyone else done this?
I'm thinking about doing the home course after we move and get settled in. I'm looking around for the best price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
I'm doing okay here. I'm feeling lots of movement down low, though I have a posterior placenta, so I dunno what's going on there. I think that baby has switched to transverse, but all of my kids tend to do that around this time. But at the same time, he seems to have his back in the same place as always, so I really can't judge his "map".

I'm extremely tired these days, and my shoulder problem is killing me. I can't sleep, when I do sleep I wake up with unbearable pain. My shoulder surgeon can't see me for a pre-op until the 11th, and I'm supposed to have a cut-off date of the 22nd for getting the surgery done. I doubt that's going to happen now... so I may end up being drugged up for the rest of the pregnancy, which really makes me angry! I don't know what else to do.

My house is a complete disaster area and none of the kids or hubby is helping to clean anything. I have pretty much locked myself in my bedroom and don't care about the rest of the house, but I did joke last night that I was going to hire a construction-sized garbage container and throw the entire contents of the house away. And yet, no one did anything to help last night. I feel like I've completely failed at teaching my kids to help out.
My house is a mess and DH is no help. Every time I get the place somewhat decent looking, he trashes it. He stays up all night playing computer games when he's not working and sleeps all day. I've been sick the last few days and he still won't help. I can barely breathe and he won't even walk the dogs for me.

To make matters worse, we live in a 550 sq ft apartment, so it gets cluttered fast. We don't have a washer or dryer in our apartment, so I can't just do laundry whenever I want. I can only do it whenever DH is home and awake to watch DD, which isn't very often. We don't have a dishwasher, and we don't have water pressure in the kitchen. So I have to haul buckets of hot water to fill up the sinks. So just those simple tasks take forever.

Quote:
I have to say I'm SO GLAD I'm in the opposite position. My MIL had 5 homebirths, including my husband. Needless to say, I've gotten no family grief about my birth plans. Now, other people are a whole different story.....
You are lucky! My mom really surprised me with how supportive she was. She's not a natural-minded person, but she didn't show any concern at all. I haven't really told anybody else, and don't plan to unless I'm asked. I just don't feel like dealing with other people's ignorance and fears.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#35 of 59 Old 03-05-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
That's so awesome! I'm just bummed that MIL is so stuck on imaginary what-ifs. She and I are very close and I would like her to at least understand where I'm coming from. She tells me that she's supportive, but that doesn't stop her from worrying. I showed her my midwife's statistics, gave her a link to the website and invited her to an appointment with me. Rather than actually do the research she's content to just worry. Oh, well. I can deal with it. I just wish she would actually read/listen to the information before forming an opinion.

I have to say that I love MDC, though! I can't say I know a lot of people in real life who support homebirth, not to mention the various out-of-the-norm parenting things that DH and I plan to pursue.

DD 5/25/09 :
5/22/11
#36 of 59 Old 03-05-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippimama View Post
I have the hypnobirthing kit for home use. I was planning on doing it. But not sure now if I am or not. I am kinda on the fence about it. My MW said that most of the things that are "taught" are things that are done naturally anyway. I really do not want to add anymore stress to my life with trying to squeeze in relaxation time. LOL
I disagree, but I am doing the home hypnobabies course (which is different then hypnobirthing). I really need to get on the ball though...it is a 5 week course and with the possibility of delivering in early May, that isn't leaving me much time!

I have already recruited my mom to come and watch the boys for us when I go into labor. She lives 2.5 hours away, so I need to call her pretty soon after my contractions are regular. My MW was pretty insistant on having care lined up and I couldn't agree with her more. It is just one last thing I would have to worry about!

I have no idea what position she is in...today! She still is pretty all over the place, but seems to be head down most of the time now. I don't really worry about it though...my first was breech until 37 weeks and then he got into position and stayed there.

Tanya, wife to my best friend momma to Blake 2/02, Jacob 5/04, Parker 12/05 and MaKenna : 6/09
#37 of 59 Old 03-05-2009, 01:42 PM

If we are living with my MIL (her basement apt) she will watch Seb for my labor. If not, I have a handful of mama friends that would come over and watch him for a while.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#38 of 59 Old 03-05-2009, 09:20 PM

I was really glad to find out at yesterday's appt. that I judged my baby's changed position correctly. Baby had been breech, which I knew wasn't that big of a dea at 23 weeks, but then I felt a very obvious "breech" in rib space...from hat I could tell,it seemede like big limbs up and little head down, and my midwife said i was right. She showed me how if you feel something round and it can be wiggled independantly of teh body, it is the bead. If you push it and the whole baby moves, it is the bottom
Anyhow, I know that could still change, but it helped me a lot. For some reason I have had two big worries about this pregnancy, placenta previa and breech baby. No placenta previa, so we are good there. And as far s the breech, I know that you can still have a homebirth, but I am not personally comfortable with it( for myself and my baby,everyone else can make their own decisions) . It might be because my own mom had one incredible natural birth( with me), then "had" to have c-sections because of breech babies every other time.I think that the idea of the baby being breech just gives me a kind of anxiety that I don't know that I could overcome during the birth. Has anyone else had something like that? Some kind of trigger that you worry would keep ou from coping during labor? On one blog I read, she talked about how after her first birth, "malposition" was something of a trigger for her, and after he heard that during her second brth, she mentally could not keep going ahead with her hombirth- even though she really knew that it wouldn't be that much longer.
#39 of 59 Old 03-06-2009, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Lovingthis, the words "hospital" and "c-section" cause me GREAT amounts of anxiety!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#40 of 59 Old 03-10-2009, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

I had my prenatal appt. today and the baby is definitely breech - as I suspected. My mws took some time to turn the baby today, which was really intense, but worked and then an hour later - POP! - back went the baby head up. We discussed breech birth in detail (which is not legal in my state) but my m/w said that if I call her when I'm in labor to come over, she will appear! I've done a lot of research over the past month and am convinced that my two choices are normal homebirth with my experienced m/w (and another equally as experienced in breech m/w) or a c-section. Although there is a hospital here that will do vaginal breech delivery, to me that is the same as having a homebirth - the docs in the hospital don't have any tools at their disposal that my m/w doesn't. I'm of course hoping the baby turns, but if it's like my other two kids, it's in this position to stay. I'm going to try some techniques (if needed) later in my pg to get the baby to turn, but if it doesn't, I'll go ahead with my homebirth.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#41 of 59 Old 03-10-2009, 11:14 AM

ahhh breech babies... glad mine's not the only one at this juncture in pregnancy. i'll be 27 weeks tomorrow, and as long as the baby has been palpable he's been breech. my midiwfe tried to turn him a few weeks ago, but to no avail (thanks anterior placenta!). i am having a bit of trouble just letting go of this... i just have to trust that my baby knows what to do, but i am having a hard time being passive about it. i can't help but feel that my pelvis is out of alignment and that a pelvic adjustment or some cranio-sacral therapy might help. i also went to acupuncture yesterday and had some work done to heat up my pelvis and some moxobustion. i got some moxa to take home and am heating bladder 67, 28 times on each toe twice a day then laying on a slant board.

i am trying not to be so anxious about it, and to not place blame on the baby for being breech. i have no control over it really, and i know that my baby has a wisdom about him that will ultimately determine how he needs to be born. however, as the weeks tick by, i'm wondering if he will in fact turn, and i have been doing visulization, meditation, and affirmations to turn my belief around and put more faith and trust into this boy. i guess i'm having a hard time of letting it go and handing it over to the baby.

i feel like i'm doing what i can do, yet i feel like since he's not turning, it's not enough. then i remember that he's a person all his own and will do things in his own time. so, why do i feel such an urge to control it??!! :
#42 of 59 Old 03-10-2009, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

liss - thanks for your thoughts and for reminding me that this baby has a wisdom of it's own. Will you carry on with your hb if your baby doesn't turn? You and I are due at the same time (I'm 6/10), so let's keep in touch.

#43 of 59 Old 03-10-2009, 12:36 PM

I'm 28 weeks and my baby's head up too. I think s/he just likes it that way. We've been having chats (baby and I) about making sure to turn before the big day. I'm not taking any particular steps to try to force things for now but may start visiting the chiro more regularly - can't hurt, right? I probably need to start sitting on my exercise ball instead of office chair.

We will continue with our homebirth plans even if baby stays this way. Our midwives may opt to bring in reinforcements? Time will tell.
#44 of 59 Old 03-10-2009, 12:51 PM

I'm almost positive my guy goes between breech and transverse quite regularly. I'm still just not worried about it? Seems like he has plenty of room to move still and he's very active. I will be starting up with regular chiro appts again here pretty soon, if for nothing else than my body's comfort.

I too really appreciate the reminder that our babes have their own wisdom. It is easy to forget sometimes.

I'm not sure my midwife delivers breech at home? I feel comfortable with it from the limited amount I know, I'll have to read up on it if he remains in this position (which I doubt) for another 5 or 6 weeks. I have an appt on Thursday so I'll ask then what her experience is. Now I'm curious!

eta: I'm 27.5 weeks right now

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#45 of 59 Old 03-10-2009, 12:55 PM

ktmama- yes, i have the intention of continuing with my hb, even if baby stays breech. my midwife and i have not discussed it at length, but she knows that i am wanting to do a hb head down or not. she has a bit of breech exp., so i am completely confident in her ability. i think both of us just assume that i will hb i feel about the same as you in terms of what my options to birth this babe are, but we do have 2 docs at the hospital who will do a breech birth. that doesn't mean they're down with a footling or a kneeling breech, though. we should certianly keep in touch and send each other's baby "head down" vibes

eta- saw the other two replies after posting. it makes me feel better about it knowing that you mamas aren't too concerned about it and are about as far along (if not more). i too think my boy likes the head up thing too.
#46 of 59 Old 03-11-2009, 02:17 PM

I finally decided a few weeks ago on a homebirth and now I'm so excited! I have another breech/transverse baby. He/she was breech at the big ultrasound, then around 24 weeks moved more transverse. I think right now the baby is just doing sommersaults. I have a few days where things feel head-down, followed by more breech feeling punches and jabs. My MW will not do a planned homebirth breech, but she works with an OB who will deliver a breech vaginally (as long as its not a footling). This particular OB also turns babies and according to my MW has a 100% success rate with her patients. I'm really not concerned. My other two kids were both head down @ 20 weeks and stayed that way, but I guess this one just needs some wiggle room.

My biggest complaint right now is horrible lower back pain. I'm hobbling around a lot and find that the pain wakes me in the middle of the night. I am looking into chiropractors in the area who specialize in pregnant ladies. I had sciatica with my last pregnancy, although this is much worse.

As for the MIL worried about "what if something happens", my approach with my dad and stepmom (who were similarly worried) was: "I will transfer to the hospital. This is the one I'll go to; it's 6 minutes away." I also talked about the fact that very few transfers are actual life-or-death emergencies b/c MWs are so good at knowing in advance when something isn't right. And I pointed out that my MW was an EMT before she became a MW, that she carries oxygen and pit, etc. etc. I think they'd probably still rather I be at a hospital, but they seem to have peace with it and will be my support people for my kids (so they'll probably be here while it's all going down).
#47 of 59 Old 03-13-2009, 02:32 AM

I had a prenatal appt today and we were pretty sure my guy is head down now by palpating, but his heartbeat was strong up high so it's all crap shoot really! LOL. My midwife again said it doesn't even matter at this point anyway so just not to worry. I asked her about delivering breech and she said she has only done one breech delivery of a second twin, but studies all the techniques all the time because she is sure at some point she will get a surprise and need to know her stuff. She said if we KNEW my baby was breech during labor she would call in the support of another local midwife to be present with her who is experienced with breech delivery. I was really glad to know she felt comfortable and confident with it!

So, no big news but something I wanted to share with mamas who would appreciate how comforting that news is to me

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#48 of 59 Old 03-13-2009, 03:30 AM

I have no idea what position my baby is in. I feel most kicks down low and that's where the m/w heard the h/b last time. I will ask her on Monday if she can tell.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#49 of 59 Old 03-13-2009, 11:11 AM

So I have to go to one of the 2 state required doctor visits today. I really should have done it weeks ago. But I have been putting it off, then it was canceled due to weather here.

I go today. I do not really want to go. I feel like it is a waste of time, I guess. I am supposed to get a "complete prenatal work-up" then tell the midwife at the clinic to fax everything over to my midwife. My MW said don't tell everyone, just the MW when she comes in to see me.

Ok, whatever. I wonder if they will want to do an ultrasound?! I do want one, but just for selfish reasons.

Will check in later this evening to let you all know how it goes.

#50 of 59 Old 03-14-2009, 01:39 AM

Well, i started a new thread about my visit today.

#51 of 59 Old 03-18-2009, 08:57 AM

I wouldn't worry about "breech" babies at this stage. ALL my babies have been head up until about 36 weeks - only one stayed that way until birth. I guess my uterus is comfy that way LOL!

My best friend had a transverse twin until about a minute before it was born. Baby 'B' was transverse at 35 weeks so they wanted to do a c-section, so my friend just stopped going to her ante-natal appointments. I was her birth partner & she laboured at home until the contractions were too close & intense for my comfort (I wasn't aware of UCing back then) & I bundled her into the car. Her water broke on the way to the hospital & she felt the head descend. We got to delivery ward & a midwife raced us into a room, looked at her ante-natal card & freaked that she was having twins - it was hospital policy that a Dr had to be present for all twin births. She told me to tell her not to push & raced to get a Dr. As soon as she left my friend said "I've GOT to push". I tried to convince her not to when she said "Take a look!" I looked under the sheet & there was baby 'A's head, I said "okay push" With the next push out came her daughter & the midwife walked in. We cleaned up bub & 5 minutes later her contractions started again & the 3 of us watched her belly in amazement as the out line of the baby turned from transverse to head down & was delivered with 3 quick pushes.

Nature works towards sucess & survival if we just leave it alone

Peace loving VEGAN Crunchymumma to praying for another real soon!
Wake up! There's a slice of VEAL in every glass of milk!
#52 of 59 Old 03-18-2009, 09:59 AM

Hey ladies - I'm joining in!

I started planning a homebirth, then freaked out and switched to a CNM in a hospital...but I'm back on board with a homebirth now! lol. I'm still going to get shadow care but as long as everything continues to go well i really want to have this little one in a tub in my livingroom!
#53 of 59 Old 03-18-2009, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Susamama, thank you for that GREAT story! ErinsJuneBug, so glad you're back!

#54 of 59 Old 03-18-2009, 12:03 PM

Susumama I love that story. SO true!

#55 of 59 Old 03-18-2009, 12:38 PM

Hey guys! FYI - my babe has turned head down - right around 27.5 weeks. I wondered if s/he was going to stay there but it seems like s/he might. Maybe it was the midwives joking about it at the appt the day before
#56 of 59 Old 03-18-2009, 12:52 PM

My three previous babies all were in the exact some position by 30 weeks that they were when it was time to be born. I don't know why my babies don't switch positions in the last ten weeks

This little one switches all the time still, so perhaps she is going to be the one to break the mold

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#57 of 59 Old 03-18-2009, 08:45 PM

My DS was back and forth between transverse and breech constantly - and turned right around 36 weeks. This little girl is doing the same - and I'm not really worried about it. I have my appt on Friday, so I suppose I might find out then. They have so much time to turn - even if she went head down I certainly wouldn't count on her staying that way!

SAHM CrossFitting mama to DS (6) and DD (3) and surprise #3 due in September!  winner.jpg familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36*heartbeat.gif*40**

#58 of 59 Old 03-20-2009, 02:07 AM

Hi Mama's!

I'm new here... and so excited to join!
DP and I decided on a homebirth a few weeks ago, and we are thrilled! I am so excited about bringing him into the world in our own home that's so full of love :
He's our first pregnancy and first baby so I have no idea what to expect!
#59 of 59 Old 03-20-2009, 12:50 PM

So I read this thread earlier this week and got all paranoid about positioning. It was something I hadn't even thought to worry about yet! I had a MW appointment on Wednesday, and the MW felt my uterus and said that the baby was on my left side. Then she joked around about how babies do lots of flip-flops and things right now while they are still small (I'm almost 26 weeks) and said it is way too early to be concerned about position. I was very happy to hear that I don't need to worry about that yet!

Mama to my sweet girl born at home 6/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page