March Homebirthing Tribe for June 2009 - Spring is Coming! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2009, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas! The breech sub-thread of last month got my Junebug thinking and squirming and now, well, I'm pretty sure it's breech! So, I've been doing some research on home breech birth and watching some amazing videos too.

Overall, I'm feeling "passively pregnant" as suggested on another thread and very, very, high energy. I'm still sewing diapers, shopping for a dresser, planning a trip with my honey for our anniversary, and planning the garden.

How's everyone doing?

One thing I'm curious about is how insistent everyone's m/w is of having care for other kids at the birth. Both my sisters who live close are pretty unreliable and I don't really want friends here during the birth. What's everyone else doing about this issue?

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 02:15 PM

Yay! I am so excited, I finally get to join, now that we are deemed "low-risk" :

Hi! This is my fourth baby, but will be my first homebirth. I wanted to birth at home with my last two babies, but was unable to due to a blood incompatibility. This peanut doesn't have it, though, so no hospital for us

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, Channel! I've been following your other thread and I'm so glad you got the results you want. The midwife FINALLY gets to have a homebirth!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
Old 03-03-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama View Post
Hi Mamas! The breech sub-thread of last month got my Junebug thinking and squirming and now, well, I'm pretty sure it's breech! So, I've been doing some research on home breech birth and watching some amazing videos too.

One thing I'm curious about is how insistent everyone's m/w is of having care for other kids at the birth. Both my sisters who live close are pretty unreliable and I don't really want friends here during the birth. What's everyone else doing about this issue?
The last 2 u/s we've had baby was fully head down.. my cervix is his pillow So, we're happy he likes that position, and hopefully he won't turn up-side-down.

My m/w hasn't brought up childcare during the birth. I do hope to have a friend I can call to come get Sebastian for the majority of my labor- he is young and I don't want to scare him, but bring him back for the actual birth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelofpeace View Post
Yay! I am so excited, I finally get to join, now that we are deemed "low-risk" :

Hi! This is my fourth baby, but will be my first homebirth. I wanted to birth at home with my last two babies, but was unable to due to a blood incompatibility. This peanut doesn't have it, though, so no hospital for us
Yay!!! I'm so happy for you! :

This is my second baby, and my first HB. Sebastian was a birth center turned hospital transfer, all-natural birth. I hated my hospital experience, and I don't want to go back, ever.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 03-03-2009, 04:20 PM

Yay channelofpeace! I saw your other thread, congrats!

This baby is in all kinds of positions, right now transverse due to all the side kicking/punching going on (scratch that, baby just kicked my ribs, guess it turned again!). Yesterday it was breech (my cervix could tell you that), earlier in the week it was head down and dh finally got to feel it kick. Before that it was breech for a long time. I'm not worried yet, and I chose a midwife that would/could attend a breech birth just in case so I trust her with that also.

This is my first, so I don't have to worry about childcare, but the only people at my birth will be me, dh, midwife, her student, and my sister (a photographer, including birth photography).

I don't even want to think about all I need to get done! Most of it is not necessarily baby related (organizing the house, painting a couple of rooms, dejunking) but it's still overwhelming. Maybe I should get off mdc and get to it!

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

Old 03-03-2009, 04:48 PM

Channelofpeace I am thrilled for you! YAY!!!

I think my little guy is transverse right now, but he is still moving contantly so I'm just not at all concerned about where his head is. I think I'll pay more attention as I approach 34 weeks.

We still have a few things to complete before the birth, and I'm sure I should be more proactive about them than I am but my mind just isn't willing at the moment! Mostly general organization, clean out the kid stuff from our bedroom (which means finishing the new "kid" room), getting the summer garden in, etc etc. Normal stuff really, not much relating to homebirthing or even birthing in general.

The childcare discussion hasn't come up yet. We live close to family (walking distance) so if we need help it will be right there. We're very fortunate for that. I'm hoping my son will want to hang out and check it out, and I'm hoping I'll want him to. I became a strange animal last time but I like to think it's because I was going pain med-free on pitocin in the hospital... I'm doing hypnobabies this time and really imagining a much more serene, less stressful birth.

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
Old 03-03-2009, 04:50 PM

Hey everyone!!!! So excited to be inching our way into spring. Time feels like it's FLYING. Channelofpeace : for everything well this time around. Can't wait to read about your much awaited homebirth . This is our first so childcare isn't an issue but we do have a little chihuahua that we will probably send to my parents' house. He can be quite annoying and I just can't imagine myself wanting to deal with him in labor. Since I'm also being watched by a perinatologist once a month we're having way more u/s than we ever planned. However I'm happy to say he basically cleared me for a homebirth so long as he can monitor the baby and the tumors and my midwife is happy with that. So far everything looks wonderful!!! Everytime we've gone in though our little peanut has been head down so I couldn't be happier. He seems to prefer the position as he's always kicking me in the ribs lol. I just hope he stays that way. Other than that I'm just trying to get the house ready (we just moved) and cleaned and organized. So far I've hit a wall as I'd much rather sit on the couch and veg than clean. I figure I've got 3 months it's bound to get done right?

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
Old 03-03-2009, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the welcome

This baby is all over the place. I am trying not to obsess about it, which is a tad difficult since my first baby was a c-section for breech I am pretty confident this one will find her way head down though. She just likes to keep me guessing in the meantime, apparently She is currently transverse, I believe, but she switches every couple of days. Silly baby.

In regards to childcare: we are having a friend who lives close by come and take the boys during labor if it is during daytime. My four year old would probably be bored and my 2 year old would likely be annoying, bless his heart I suppose if it feels right at the time, we can call them back when it is almost time/right after. My six year old is staying and we are also having a friend come, so if my daughter is bored/needs a friend/etc. she won't be alone. She is really excited about it, it is really cute

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:47 PM

My baby is head down, and her current favorite activity is doing pushups off my rectum

I was supposed to head to the state capitol today to attend a rally to legalize homebirth midwives, but I developed SPD last night and couldn't walk. I'm doing better now, but still sad I had to miss out on it.

Other than that we're slowly gathering HB supplies.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
Old 03-03-2009, 10:37 PM

Hey everyone, can I join this tribe? I am due with my first baby, a boy, and hope to give birth to him in our San Francisco apartment I have a midwife and tub rental lined up....I'm just crossing my fingers that he stays heads-down.... i can't tell where he is right now, as I always feel kicks/jabs/punches all over the place!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama View Post

Overall, I'm feeling "passively pregnant" as suggested on another thread and very, very, high energy. I'm still sewing diapers, shopping for a dresser, planning a trip with my honey for our anniversary, and planning the garden.

How's everyone doing?

I'm jealous of everything you're getting accomplished! Dh and DD were sick the last 2 weeks, now I am. Plus we're in the middle of buying a house and it's so stressful!

My midwife isn't concerned about childcare. Not that she could "insist" anyway, it's my house. I told her I didn't have anybody else that I'd be comfortable having there when I'm in labor. She said that's fine, DD would probably sleep or watch TV a lot anyway.

One of my friends just had a baby yesterday, and she called her mom early Sunday morning just to watch her son. She specifically told the mom, "I don't know if the baby's coming, but I just want you to watch the 2 year-old so I can rest." Well them mom comes over, but not before calling the sister who came over with her son. My friend is laboring in her bedroom when the mom comes upstairs and starts cleaning the adjacent bathroom, and keeps asking her questions like "Ooh, is that a contraction? Does it hurt? Is the baby coming?" Then a few minutes later my friend hears her mom downstairs vacuuming.

Of course her contractions completely stop. The mom knew from the very beginning the only reason she was there was to watch the son. My friend had discussed this with her months ago. I just know my mom or MIL would be the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
My baby is head down, and her current favorite activity is doing pushups off my rectum

I was supposed to head to the state capitol today to attend a rally to legalize homebirth midwives, but I developed SPD last night and couldn't walk. I'm doing better now, but still sad I had to miss out on it.

Other than that we're slowly gathering HB supplies.
My m/w is actually against making them legal. She figures if they officially make them legal there will be too many regulations on them, specifically regarding VBACs. I wish there was some way for them to be legal (and have insurance cover them) without having restrictions.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
Old 03-04-2009, 02:06 AM

Rachaelsmommy, the problem is this is quite probably the last year one can get even an illegal homebirth outside of the Chicago area (I'm in Illinois). It is probable my midwife will be moving to a state where she can actually practice, the other midwives won't take new clients, and that means my next baby I'm either going to have to go unassisted, crash with my in-laws in Chicago, or go to The Farm (an 8 hour drive). So yeah, homebirth in Illinois is going to get extremely difficult from now on.

The bill died in committee today. The AMA spent MILLIONS to defeat it.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
Old 03-04-2009, 02:35 AM

One word for breech - Webster! It worked on my 9.6lb ds at 39 weeks after nothing else did.

My MWs have it in their paper work that they ask that someone is there to care for other children but they have never said anything to me verbally so I don't know how hardcore they are about it. My 6 year old has already told me that he doens't want to be there so we are definitely making other arrangments for the kids anyway. I think he might change his mind once the time comes and that is ok to but right now he needs reassurance that someone is going to be able to take him somewhere if he doesn't want to be there.

Passively pregnant here too. Although I am starting to get to that uncomfortable stage. I feel HUGE!!!!!!!!!!! I am huge. I have measured right on target all along and all of a sudden I'm measuring 3-4 weeks ahead. I'm not concerned at all but there has just been a dramatic increase in my belly size in a short period of time and i'm really feeling it.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelofpeace View Post

Yay!!!! I'm so happy for you mama!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy0717 View Post
Hey everyone!!!! So excited to be inching our way into spring. Time feels like it's FLYING.
I'm so jealous. It feels like time is going so slowly for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
Rachaelsmommy, the problem is this is quite probably the last year one can get even an illegal homebirth outside of the Chicago area (I'm in Illinois). It is probable my midwife will be moving to a state where she can actually practice, the other midwives won't take new clients, and that means my next baby I'm either going to have to go unassisted, crash with my in-laws in Chicago, or go to The Farm (an 8 hour drive). So yeah, homebirth in Illinois is going to get extremely difficult from now on.

The bill died in committee today. The AMA spent MILLIONS to defeat it.
So sorry about the SPD and also sorry about the bill. That is really horrible .
Old 03-04-2009, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi everyone! I usually post on the July forum since I was so late with my last one but I've been feeling a lot more confident about a June baby these last 2 mos. I'm due june 30 so who knows what month this babe will be born!

I envy those with energy! I'm so freaking big this time around-all belly! I have the stereotypical "basketball under the shirt" look. And I'm only 23 wks. I'm already suffering from serious muscle pulls in the groin and waddle already!

Anyway, I'm having my first homebirth after my DH had to catch my last one in our van...he decided staying home was easier

I'm going to start the Hypnobabies home course in a few weeks-anyone else done this?

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR33 View Post
Hi everyone! I usually post on the July forum since I was so late with my last one but I've been feeling a lot more confident about a June baby these last 2 mos. I'm due june 30 so who knows what month this babe will be born!
We have the same EDD, but DS was born at 41 weeks, so who knows when this baby will come...

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 03-04-2009, 04:20 AM

hi homebirthin' mamas! it's certainly is feeling like spring here in NM right now! i need some short sleeve/sleeveless maternity tops!

my babe is still breech, head is in the same freakin' spot too. i am going to try acupuncture first, and then webster is he's not head down in the next few weeks. i have an anterior placenta, but despite that i am feeling movement like crazy. i'm also having bh ctx, which i never had w/dd. they say you have more of them with subsequent babies, though.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:24 AM

It is freezing here!! We had an odd snow storm Sunday and it is so cold outside. Can not wait for the spring weather to get here.

We have an anterior placenta too. I feel lots of kicking down low, like at my cervix and bladder. We are pretty sure the baby is breech also. Does anyone know if that is more likely to happen with an AP? I have no idea. I am a little concerned about that. The MW is not at all. I have been reading spinningbabies.com some. The MW said not to worry about it until about 35 weeks. But why wait. LOL I have nothing else to worry about.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
Old 03-04-2009, 11:59 AM

Good morning ladies! Hard to believe it is March already! Our babies will be here before we know it. It seems a lot of people still have babies that are breech, transverse and moving around a lot ; ) My baby can't make up its mind either. Head up, head down, sideways, oh, who knows : ) It turns around several times a day. I just feel better knowing this little one CAN get head down. On childcare- we have five other kids- the grandparents always seem to help out if we need them. They live an hour away and are willing to come and get the kids during the birth if we need them. Also have some other families around who are willing to take them if neeeded. Last time, though, they just slept through the whole thing and woke up to a new baby sister. That was perfect and is what we are hoping for this time as well. We haven't really made any concrete plans in that area, though. Things just always seem to work out. I am sort of getting an itch to get out my baby clothes and stuff, but still feel a little superstitious it may be a bit early yet. Silly, I know! I just love those little newborn cloth diapers and tiny clothes - so sweet! I am getting excited about knowing I will be holding my baby in a few months : )
Old 03-04-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:

I'm going to start the Hypnobabies home course in a few weeks-anyone else done this?
Our plan is to attempt to take an actual Bradley class but since we've got some constraints with DF being stationed 3 hours away its hard to plan. I also want to start hypnobabies around 28-30 weeks. I've heard pretty good things about it from several MDC mamas.

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
Old 03-04-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
We're taking a Hypnobabies class - our 2nd class is this weekend. So far, so good. It does require a decent amount of practice time but seems quite promising...
Old 03-04-2009, 03:50 PM

We start our hypnobabies classes in a few weeks. Knowing my dh, I figured an actual class would be better for getting him involved.

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

Old 03-04-2009, 06:38 PM

I have the hypnobirthing kit for home use. I was planning on doing it. But not sure now if I am or not. I am kinda on the fence about it. My MW said that most of the things that are "taught" are things that are done naturally anyway. I really do not want to add anymore stress to my life with trying to squeeze in relaxation time. LOL

Old 03-04-2009, 06:47 PM

I can't decide if I want to do hypnobabies or not. I guess I have to make up my mind soon.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippimama View Post
I really do not want to add anymore stress to my life with trying to squeeze in relaxation time. LOL
I hear ya! hehe

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
Old 03-04-2009, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm doing okay here. I'm feeling lots of movement down low, though I have a posterior placenta, so I dunno what's going on there. I think that baby has switched to transverse, but all of my kids tend to do that around this time. But at the same time, he seems to have his back in the same place as always, so I really can't judge his "map".

I'm extremely tired these days, and my shoulder problem is killing me. I can't sleep, when I do sleep I wake up with unbearable pain. My shoulder surgeon can't see me for a pre-op until the 11th, and I'm supposed to have a cut-off date of the 22nd for getting the surgery done. I doubt that's going to happen now... so I may end up being drugged up for the rest of the pregnancy, which really makes me angry! I don't know what else to do.

My house is a complete disaster area and none of the kids or hubby is helping to clean anything. I have pretty much locked myself in my bedroom and don't care about the rest of the house, but I did joke last night that I was going to hire a construction-sized garbage container and throw the entire contents of the house away. And yet, no one did anything to help last night. I feel like I've completely failed at teaching my kids to help out.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:31 PM

"My house is a complete disaster area and none of the kids or hubby is helping to clean anything."

I'm trying to get my hubby trained now and it's NOT working. I've been resting a lot these past two days because my pelvis has decided to check out on me, and DH even stayed home yesterday because i literally couldn't walk. I still had to pester him to do things like all the dishes (cuz it hurts!), and in general his response to my being unable to finish some chore is "dont' worry about it sweetie" not "let me take care of it." He's taking off 3 weeks when I pop partially to help out around the house, and I've been trying to tell him that that means I don't have to tell him what to do. That dishes and laundry just get done without me thinking about it, much as it is for him now.

Wish me luck on that one.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
I'm extremely tired these days, and my shoulder problem is killing me. I can't sleep, when I do sleep I wake up with unbearable pain. My shoulder surgeon can't see me for a pre-op until the 11th, and I'm supposed to have a cut-off date of the 22nd for getting the surgery done. I doubt that's going to happen now... so I may end up being drugged up for the rest of the pregnancy, which really makes me angry! I don't know what else to do.

My house is a complete disaster area and none of the kids or hubby is helping to clean anything. I have pretty much locked myself in my bedroom and don't care about the rest of the house, but I did joke last night that I was going to hire a construction-sized garbage container and throw the entire contents of the house away. And yet, no one did anything to help last night. I feel like I've completely failed at teaching my kids to help out.

I hope you get your shoulder sorted out soon. That sucks.

I'm kidless but I sort of feel like I'm the only one trying to keep the house clean too. And believe me I'm failing miserably. All the books talk about needing to lower your housekeeping standards when the new baby arrives, but I'm pretty sure mine can't get any lower without the place being condemned.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

Old 03-04-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post

My house is a complete disaster area and none of the kids or hubby is helping to clean anything. .
Honey, I have been CLEANING CLEANING CLEANING since I got off work Monday morning.(i work weekend 12 hour night shifts) I think they trashed the joint while I was working this past weekend. No one is jumping on the cleaning train with me either. I am trying not to be a royal b*tch about it either. I am just cleaning cleaning cleaning.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:33 PM

I've been feeling great lately - hard to believe it's already March.

I had an interesting conversation with MIL about homebirth recently. I knew it was coming - she clearly had some issues that she was waiting to bring up. We get along very well so it wasn't really a bad conversation - I just didn't have appropriate responses. I feel very prepared with information about the benefits/safety of homebirth. She kept saying "well, what if something happens?" I went over how trained the midwives are, etc. She just kept repeating "what if something happens?" I finally asked her to give me examples. She couldn't think of examples - she just kept using the general "what if something happens?" I was quite frustrated. I'm fine if she ends up not agreeing with homebirth but it drives me crazy that she's ignoring the information I'm giving her in favor of some non-specific fear. Anyone else in a similar position?

DD 5/25/09 :
5/22/11

User Tag List