Edema/Swelling feet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-13-2009, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My feet look like sausages stuffed into socks.

When I walk, I can feel the fluid on the top of my right foot. I have tried drinking lots of water bc I read that drinking more = retaining less.

It doesn't work.

Not eating a lot of salt that I can tell- it's just really not fun.

I'm also sitting here feeling so blue..... Yep, sunny old me....

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
#2 of 6 Old 03-13-2009, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had this problem too and I was surprised because I didn't see it until late 3rd trim with my first 2. I was getting concerned about pre-eclampsia....

-Lots of protein 80-100 mg a day (I'm still working on this).

-Exercise/Swimming (I'm subbing baths at the moment I think I'll add epsom salts)

-Mother's Tea 3x a day (I'm working on 1)

All in all my feet do look better even though I'm not being perfect and I hope that if I keep getting better I'll be able to keep this improvement to the end.
#3 of 6 Old 03-14-2009, 03:16 AM

Don't you have to get the right balance of sugars and salt? So not enough salt could cause a problem? Doesn't the brewer diet emphasise the need to get the right amount. I don't think it's a problem if you are eating lots of processed food, and by processed, I don't necessarily mean junk, regular bread and cereals have a fair amount in, but if you don't eat things like that and you aren't adding salt to food you could possibly not be getting enough.

When did you last have your blood pressure checked? Can you pop to a drugstore and check it yourself? Have you been noticing the increase in swelling gradually, or more suddenly?

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
#4 of 6 Old 03-14-2009, 04:32 PM

I had crazy edema/swelling with my last pregnancy. So this time I'm trying (though not always succeeding) the Brewer diet (80-100 mg protein daily like PP said), put my feet up when I do start swelling. A friend also sent me a couple new pairs of those swelling socks and those are really helping.

I know you've talked about eating fast food in other posts - so I just wanted to say - even if you think you're not getting a lot of salt you could be getting a TON. Processed foods in general are loaded with sodium. I ate a lot of boxed cereal last time and (duh!) - loaded with salt. None for me this time. The swelling did start for me earlier this time - but I have yet to stay swollen - meaning - I'll swell a little during the day, try to do all the right things, put my feet up at night, and then I'm fine in the AM. But, I wouldn't be surprised if I start swelling like last time too...

SAHM CrossFitting mama to DS (6) and DD (3) and surprise #3 due in September!  winner.jpg familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36*heartbeat.gif*40**

#5 of 6 Old 03-14-2009, 04:37 PM

yep everything they said, but to make you feel better, mine are stuffed sausages with the buns on them my feet are so swollen.
#6 of 6 Old 03-16-2009, 09:32 PM

Ohhh snap! The tops of my Smartwools (I have built up quite a festive stash and they're my preferred sock) are getting snug.

I've noticed my rings are also snug, but I can still wear them during the day. I'm not going to wear them at night anymore.

I don't feel too puffy yet. I'm just going to make sure I drink a ton of water and make sure to walk!!

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page