Weirdest craving? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-26-2009, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
So mine is freeze dried ice cream. So weird! I haven't had that since I was little! We had to drive 45 minutes away to get some. Poor DP was on the phone calling around trying to find it for me. What a sweetheart.

So what are yours?

SAHM (32)  Married to a bearded hunk (28) , DS  11/00, DD  06/09, two  in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle   is due 12/14
#2 of 22 Old 03-26-2009, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't really have any, but since you're in Tracy, could you run out to Sac and have a Leatherby's hot fudge sundae for me? I miss their whipped cream! (They're not in Fremont anymore, so I can't get it even when I go visit my parents!)

I guess the strangest thing I'm craving is BBQ pork spareribs. I hate BBQ sauce and I doubly hate pork. So I dunno where this came from!
#3 of 22 Old 03-27-2009, 12:10 AM

Snowballs and crawfish???? Is that strange lol. It's crawfish season and I don't usually eat it that often but something about the seasoning I've been craving. Snowballs (don't know if they have these everywhere) but its this lightly shaved ice with whatever flavor you want and condensed milk (so NOT healthy). But it MELTS in your mouth its sooooooooo good. DF was giving me a hard time for driving myself to get one at 9 at night but when he came home one weekend I dragged him with me and he LOVED it so go figure.

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
#4 of 22 Old 03-27-2009, 02:04 AM

chinese food.
#5 of 22 Old 03-27-2009, 02:31 AM

I haven't had many cravings, because food is still a bit of a struggle for me {gotta love HG}, but I do crave mozzerella sticks often. Deep fried cheese... Yuuuum! Absolutely no health value there! I can usually stomach fresh fruit, too. Especially mangoes dipped in cream cheese frosting.
#6 of 22 Old 03-27-2009, 09:26 AM

pop tarts

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#7 of 22 Old 03-27-2009, 09:58 AM

Well, it's not strange, but I crave those Rice Dream chocolate ice cream sandwiches.

And Kombucha. Those two things once a week are enough to threaten my budget!! Darn. I need a special rice-dream-kombucha fund.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#8 of 22 Old 03-27-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy0717 View Post
Snowballs (don't know if they have these everywhere) but its this lightly shaved ice with whatever flavor you want and condensed milk (so NOT healthy).
I've never heard of those or had one but that sounds SO GOOD. Now I'm going to start craving something I'll never have!

I haven't had too many strange cravings. I've been craving alcohol like crazy though. I don't even understand! I think it's just because I can't have any.
#9 of 22 Old 03-27-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthcave View Post
I've never heard of those or had one but that sounds SO GOOD. Now I'm going to start craving something I'll never have!

I haven't had too many strange cravings. I've been craving alcohol like crazy though. I don't even understand! I think it's just because I can't have any.
I thought we didn't have one either and it was only in Louisiana. I'd only had them while visiting my friend there. So one night whilst I was having a craving I became a detective and googled a placed we used to have where I went to college and WE HAD ONE:. So needless to say I drove the 20 minutes to get it. :. It's called Bahama Bucks....see if you've got one.

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
#10 of 22 Old 03-27-2009, 05:12 PM
kkd

Rootbeer! I'm not much of a soda drinker, and very rarely drink rootbeer, but I've even had dreams about rootbeer. So - I've splurged a couple times on the no-caffeine, no high fructose corn syrup kind of rootbeer. Seems like a strange thing to me, because unless some cravings that serve a nutritional purpose, I can't imagine there is anything beneficial in rootbeer. Oh well, it's the only thing I've sort of craved, so I won't complain, it could be worse!
#11 of 22 Old 03-27-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkd View Post
Rootbeer! I'm not much of a soda drinker, and very rarely drink rootbeer, but I've even had dreams about rootbeer. So - I've splurged a couple times on the no-caffeine, no high fructose corn syrup kind of rootbeer. Seems like a strange thing to me, because unless some cravings that serve a nutritional purpose, I can't imagine there is anything beneficial in rootbeer. Oh well, it's the only thing I've sort of craved, so I won't complain, it could be worse!

I was going to say rootbeer floats! EEKS now I just typed it out loud, I'm going to have to make one! ha! We have a local brew without hfcs and it is nice and spicy. That and haagen Daas ice cream? ummmmm yummmmm! I NEVER EVER drink soda pop. Ever! I usually HATE it!

My only other "cravings" that I don't usually have are mass amounts of ham hock and beans (good thing it's cheap and easy to make ) and petite fours from the local French bakery which is really odd because I also never ever have a sweet tooth of any kind when not pregnant.

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#12 of 22 Old 03-27-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkd View Post
Root beer is traditionally a fermented drink. Could it be your body is craving some beneficial bacteria?

I wonder the same thing about the alcohol cravings that pp described -- non-pasteurized alcohol would have beneficial bacteria in it; maybe that's what the craving is about...?

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#13 of 22 Old 03-27-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
Root beer is traditionally a fermented drink. Could it be your body is craving some beneficial bacteria?

I wonder the same thing about the alcohol cravings that pp described -- non-pasteurized alcohol would have beneficial bacteria in it; maybe that's what the craving is about...?
good points on both of those! My gosh some fermented REAL root beer sounds divine right now. I love all things fermented I think LOL

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#14 of 22 Old 03-27-2009, 11:41 PM

Nothing that was too off the wall imo, but dh was grossed out when I told him I wanted a fried egg sandwich with jelly on it

Sahm to 2 girls (17 & 15)& Cody (7/09).
#15 of 22 Old 03-28-2009, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post

And my fried cheese craving...? I think sometimes our body just wants something for no good reason. I fully believe that if we have a craving it's because we need some nutrient from that item, but there is nothing redeeming about fried cheese that I can think of! Although, come to think of it, there are lycopenes in the marinara I always have to dip the cheese sticks in and it's only one certain brand of cheese stick that I want ~ a brand with less breading and none of that icky crumbly coating, just a good thin batter. And isn't there protein and some small amount of iron in cheese? I know I need more of both. Or maybe my body is just craving fat to make up for all the weight I've lost with this pregnancy. I'm happy enough to be able to eat anything these days!
#16 of 22 Old 03-28-2009, 07:22 AM

With my son it was pickled cockles and washing powder (I had to fight the urge to lick it!) whilst with my daughter it was bell pepper and gummy bear pizzas!
#17 of 22 Old 03-28-2009, 04:28 PM

WHAT are pickled cockles?? and washing powder...do you mean laundry detergent of some sort? I am intrigued!

I get a new craving every few weeks. Here's how they have progressed. I normally do not crave/eat these things regularly, which is why they're hilarious to me.

Coke classic and classic lays, then tart wild cherry juice and limeade, now onto milkshakes and bacon cheeseburgers

Throughout pregnancy: pineapples, organic braeburn apples (haah, specific enough?), cakey gooey fudgy baked chocolate.

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#18 of 22 Old 03-28-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl2 View Post
WHAT are pickled cockles?? and washing powder...do you mean laundry detergent of some sort? I am intrigued!

Pickled cockles are small shellfish (like a tiny mussel by in a snail shaped shell) that are pickled in vinegar. They smell to high heaven but taste fabulous. Vinegary, salty and slightly chewy. We get them in fish and chip shops over here and they are particularly famous in London and along the coast of Wales. I would eat about eight jars a day. I thought my boy would come out pickled!

Oh and yes I mean laundry detergent.
#19 of 22 Old 03-28-2009, 05:32 PM

geiamama,

Do you have pica? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_(disorder) Maybe you should discuss this with your midwife or ob? Maybe take an iron supplement like Floradix?

On topic- I haven't really had any weird cravings myself...

Mother of two boys and a stork-boy.gif on the way!

#20 of 22 Old 03-28-2009, 07:46 PM

A couple of weeks ago I was craving mayonnaise so badly. I made egg salad and tuna salad to try to fulfill the craving, and then I licked the excess mayonnaise off of the spoon. The next day I made a sandwich and put tons of mayonnaise on it. Since then, the craving has been gone. I wondered if maybe my body needed some extra fat those days...

Mama to my sweet girl born at home 6/09
#21 of 22 Old 03-29-2009, 08:11 PM

Beer.

The thought of wine or any sort of booze makes me want to throw up, but I would love to sit outside and have a cold beer.
#22 of 22 Old 03-30-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivkah View Post
Beer.

The thought of wine or any sort of booze makes me want to throw up, but I would love to sit outside and have a cold beer.
I had half a pint of an ice cold large-headed Guiness over the weekend and it was DIVINE.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page